Solskjaer

redevil2

One question for you though, Guybrush: what makes you think Villa is interested in Ole who has no experience in managing an English club?

Are they:
1. Just testing the water?
2. Crazy and stupid?
3. Creating a smoke screen? Or
4. Appreciating Ole's ability (and the fact he's ex United player who has been known to be taking notes and learning from SAF) and wanting to give him a go?

This is a serious question so mocking and sarcastic response would not be appreciated. Thanks.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
One question for you though, Guybrush: what makes you think Villa is interested in Ole who has no experience in managing an English club?

Are they:
1. Just testing the water?
2. Crazy and stupid?
3. Creating a smoke screen? Or
4. Appreciating Ole's ability (and the fact he's ex United player who has been known to be taking notes and learning from SAF) and wanting to give him a go?

This is a serious question so mocking and sarcastic response would not be appreciated. Thanks.
1 and 4

Amir

It's actually quite incredible for a someone who has only been a head coach for a year to get an offer from a Premier League side, whether it's the champios or a newly promoted side, especially when you've work in Scandinavia rather than Spain or France. Stale Solbakken has worked in Denmark for quite a few years and has done well before getting Koln just last summer and now it's relegated Wolves.

I'm always right

I think Villa are seriously interested and don't want to make the same mistakes they did last year. They want someone who knows English football, and working under SAF will have done him no harm at all (see Steve McClaren & Brian Kidd before him), the fact that Ole has gone a step further than McCLaren or Kidd by actually managing a team to a Championship in another country only adds to the interest.

Villa also want someone who the fans will like after the nightmare of McLeish and Ole is well respected by most if not all football fans, he's just a likable guy, something they were also looking for with Martinez last year.

I think the reason for the "pre-meeting" with Ole is due to his inexperience, whereas last year they went straight to Martinez and offered him the job.

Will they offer it to Ole? I'm not totally sure, I think they may wait for the Liverpool role to be filled first and may possibly go back to Martinez if he's still available.

redevil2

Has to be said that Ole got huge financial backing from the board in his first season, probably more then any other Molde-manager before him. All credit to him, and I love the man, but I'm not certain that he should be moving up so soon.

Obviously, I would love to see OGS manage in the PL and I would probably try to catch as many Villa-games as possible if he were to become their manager but a part of me wants him to stay on and enjoy some more success in Molde before he moves on. It's probably because he's been my idol for as long as I can remember, and I really dont want him to fail.

I have no doubt that OGS is a great manager, and will become even better. It's a shame that all of this happened in Molde, because he was looked upon as a God by most people here (from what I've experiences atleast) but now his greatness will be overshadowed by this "nothing"-story for some time going forward and the man deserves more then that.
It is really a shame he's being treated so unfairly by Molde in this incident. All along he's retaining his integrity and acting legally (his contract has a clause allowing him to hold talks with English clubs during this contract). The fuss was made unnecessarily and disgracefully. When there is a clause in the contract, the club should be prepared to honour it without behaving like a 4 year old.

United has gained a few fans in Norway because of Ole throughout the years. Hopefully they will not turn against him.

redevil2

We should not doubt there would be alot of pre negotiation meetings, pre offer meetings etc even in the case of very experienced managers. It's just that in Ole's case, it was made known because he's flown by a private jet and the Club decided to make a fuss.

Many behind the scene meetings are just not made known to the public. In the current incident, it really has nothing to do with whether Ole is inexperienced or not. Villa is interested in him and they trust Ole might make a good manager for them. And I do believe if Ole comes to England, he's not going to fail easily. :)

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I think Ole wanted to show who was the boss around there, and that the manager of the club cannot bow down to the board when they suddenly change their minds. If there is one thing that OGS learned at United, it's that the manager is the club. I'm not saying he did it out of spite or just to prove a point, but rather that he has to stamp his authority as the leader of the club into the minds of board and players alike.

Moriarty

I think Ole wanted to show who was the boss around there, and that the manager of the club cannot bow down to the board when they suddenly change their minds. If there is one thing that OGS learned at United, it's that the manager is the club. I'm not saying he did it out of spite or just to prove a point, but rather that he has to stamp his authority as the leader of the club into the minds of board and players alike.
That would be right out of Fergie's playbook.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If the Aker withdraw letter was really unrelated to the fiasco about Ole then that's terrible timing, it made it seem like Rokke was having a complete meltdown and pulling his company's funding, at least that's what it looked like to me.

I thought Ole was very generous to attempt to deflect some heat onto himself by saying he should have been clearer in his communications when he could have hit out at Molde.

IL_DUCE

OGS is a honest, forthright, loyal and unifying teambuilder with a "degree" from the best school in the world, and would do the club a world of good in terms of relations between the owners, players and supporters provided that the fans and the players endorses his employment. In the short term this will probably - by it self - contribute to progress. Whether this combination of personality and theoretical knowledge are sufficient to give longterm success remains to see but last year's results with Molde gives an indication that something works quite well....

The fans are now given the opportunity to have their say. It will be interesting to see how this ends, and to what extent SAF 'apprentice succeed in solving this challenge. I think OLE has a new employer in a few days...

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Some rumours floating about that Frank De Boer is in the line for Liverpool. I wonder if the Ajax board would approach a manager like Ole? Ajax after all is renowned for having a fantastic youth program and Ole has alot of experience with Youth players.

I still think Ole should hold fast, I think he'll get some more interesting offers. After all, this whole saga has been pretty decent PR for Ole.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
The thing is that Ole was in no way in a hurry to leave Molde, as he's expressed several times ahead of this thing. He himself has said that several clubs have contacted him, but he's turned them all down. If Molde handled things better this time around, I have no doubt that he would stay but they way things have developed it's either him or the board who has to go. And I'm sure that OGS will be in high demand if he decides to leave.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The thing is that Ole was in no way in a hurry to leave Molde, as he's expressed several times ahead of this thing. He himself has said that several clubs have contacted him, but he's turned them all down. If Molde handled things better this time around, I have no doubt that he would stay but they way things have developed it's either him or the board who has to go. And I'm sure that OGS will be in high demand if he decides to leave.
That is my view too.

Eirik Raude

I don't necessarily think you're right, but it might be the case. And about Ole going anywhere other than Premier League, I see that as very unlikely. First of all, most of the interest will come from English clubs as they know him better, and they know that he's familiar with English football. Second, I don't think Ole will be very keen to go to a league like the Dutch, French etc. If he's leaving soon, it will be to England, if not, he will stay put for a bit longer.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I don't necessarily think you're right, but it might be the case. And about Ole going anywhere other than Premier League, I see that as very unlikely. First of all, most of the interest will come from English clubs as they know him better, and they know that he's familiar with English football. Second, I don't think Ole will be very keen to go to a league like the Dutch, French etc. If he's leaving soon, it will be to England, if not, he will stay put for a bit longer.
Do you see Røkke and Solskjær having a great working relationship in the months ahead if he indeed stays put? The way Røkke told the media about their private meeting is reason enough to destroy most work-relationships, and it might've hurt the players aswell now that they know that Solskjær would leave as soon as possible given the chance. I have no doubts that he's already had a talk and sorted it all out with his team, but how would it affect morals to hear that the only player he would bring along with him would be Eikrem?

I'm extremely happy that they acted so professionally in their game this weekend and that they got a result, but it must be hard for a squad to motivate themselves knowing that their legend and manager could pack up and leave at any time. It's always been known that Ole were destined for greater things, but I always thought he would stick around to try himself in the Champions League with Molde. I just find it hard to imagine that he's going to stay on and act like nothing happened with the current board, and it must be hard knowing that you cannot trust the owners of the club even if you're having a chat in private.

I do however think that Ole have behaved extremely well in this matter, and he did the right thing when he left for Birmingham. If he ends up staying, this saga would have made things alot better for him in terms of authority as he's taken the Fergie-approach to the matter and showed that he's the most important thing in the club which I think is something that's been missing from Norwegian football since Eggen was around. These days it seems as the boardmembers are the ones controlling it all, and having such an authority like Ole go against this Norwegian "norm" is quite refreshing.

Eirik Raude

Do you see Røkke and Solskjær having a great working relationship in the months ahead if he indeed stays put? The way Røkke told the media about their private meeting is reason enough to destroy most work-relationships, and it might've hurt the players aswell now that they know that Solskjær would leave as soon as possible given the chance. I have no doubts that he's already had a talk and sorted it all out with his team, but how would it affect morals to hear that the only player he would bring along with him would be Eikrem?

I'm extremely happy that they acted so professionally in their game this weekend and that they got a result, but it must be hard for a squad to motivate themselves knowing that their legend and manager could pack up and leave at any time. It's always been known that Ole were destined for greater things, but I always thought he would stick around to try himself in the Champions League with Molde. I just find it hard to imagine that he's going to stay on and act like nothing happened with the current board, and it must be hard knowing that you cannot trust the owners of the club even if you're having a chat in private.

I do however think that Ole have behaved extremely well in this matter, and he did the right thing when he left for Birmingham. If he ends up staying, this saga would have made things alot better for him in terms of authority as he's taken the Fergie-approach to the matter and showed that he's the most important thing in the club which I think is something that's been missing from Norwegian football since Eggen was around. These days it seems as the boardmembers are the ones controlling it all, and having such an authority like Ole go against this Norwegian "norm" is quite refreshing.
Seems to me that the board members are only acting as Røkkes puppets, at least they have done so in this case. And, I think that Ole and Røkke can sort things out between them, they know each other well, and their relationship has up until this point been very good. You must not forget who got Ole to United in the first place, it was all thanks to Røkke and Gjelsten. If Villa goes for somebody else, I think Ole is professional enough to sort it out with the big guys at Molde and keep on doing his job.

The players all know that Ole's spell at the club will be short, so they just have to try and soak up as much as they can while he's there, and continue to build on that when he leaves. I don't think that will be a big problem. Also, I don't think it will have an effect on morale that Eikrem might be going with him, they seem like a very professional bunch, and many of these players are destined for a great future in bigger leagues than the Norwegian, so that's not going to be a problem. If anything, it will only make them work harder to achieve that goal.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Lets hope you're right. I have no doubt that Ole is such a pro that he can last it out at the club, but the way Røkke & Co have handled this it seems like they got a lot of work to do to go back to normal. But I guess the best way to do this is to continue performing on the pitch, and hope that this wont get brought up again as soon as some bad form hits them. But I'm sure it most certainly will.

davisjw

I think Ole was a fool to get on that plane. If he had no intentions of doing anything with the interest shown to him, he should never have flown because it's obvious the fallout. You don't tempt fate. You don't go on a business trip with the pretty secretary and get drunk with her away from your wife. You get separate rooms and retire to bed early - without her. Or Pogba just flying to Juve just see what it's like.

I'm sure this will roll over. Molde need Ole and he's doing a great job this season. I can't see there being any major fallout.

Saying that, their young US boy Gatt appears to be working a few wonders the last few games. I read over the winter that Ole recommended him to Fergie.

I'm always right

I think Ole was a fool to get on that plane. If he had no intentions of doing anything with the interest shown to him, he should never have flown because it's obvious the fallout.
A fool? Sounds like he wants the job to me, would be more foolish to not get on a plane to meet people you want to work for.

davisjw

A fool? Sounds like he wants the job to me, would be more foolish to not get on a plane to meet people you want to work for.
It does seem like it based on the released answers. However, Ole was trying to balance on a very thin wire telling the fans who have made him into a local god that he wants to stay, he's thinking long term, he is so happy, etc, then turning around and telling the club execs he would leave ASAP if given the opportunity.

I'm an Ole fan, but if I'm a Molde supporter, I'm beyond pissed at Ole.

I still think it's stupid to leave Molde for Villa. You're just about to test yourself in the CL for the first time, you have a great young squad, and you're defending a title all surrounded by extremely loyal fans for your old team. Instead you want to head to Villa with inflated expectations, a fickle owner who basically forced MON out of a job he was doing a great job at, and a team without any players worthy of top four material. He won't have the funds to get them anywhere, no European football.

Even if he's doing this to excel his career ambitions, you'd think holding off a season and testing himself in the CL with a minnow team would show his worth far more. Imagine if he did actually does make a dent in the CL. We all know there's always open managerial position in the PL during a season so why rush it?

At Villa, they won't give him time and if he fails, it won't be a small fail, it'll be an epic fail which will deter PL owners for years. The media would be all over him like anyone connected to United. The odds of his success just seem so small. I'm sure Fergie would hook him up with a few players though.

This just doesn't seem like Ole. It seems like someone who is getting a bit too over confident in themselves.

RedLars

I think Ole was a fool to get on that plane. If he had no intentions of doing anything with the interest shown to him, he should never have flown because it's obvious the fallout. You don't tempt fate. You don't go on a business trip with the pretty secretary and get drunk with her away from your wife. You get separate rooms and retire to bed early - without her. Or Pogba just flying to Juve just see what it's like.

I'm sure this will roll over. Molde need Ole and he's doing a great job this season. I can't see there being any major fallout.

Saying that, their young US boy Gatt appears to be working a few wonders the last few games. I read over the winter that Ole recommended him to Fergie.
The bolded part is simply wrong. It's out in the open now, after his internal conversation with the director and his responses to Aker's questions were brought to the public, that he more or less would accept if he was offered the job from Villa.

That's how I interpreted it anyways- He also stated that he would be trying to bring Mark Dempsey and Rich Hartis (coaches he brought to Molde) as well as Magnus Wolff Eikrem with him if happened.

I'm always right

Molde will not qualify for the CL imo, Ole or no Ole. So I don't believe he will truly get a chance to test himself.

Why do the odds seem small at Villa? expectation levels from my Villa mates are at an all-time low and they already have a squad capable of far more than what they achieved last season. I personally believe that a good manager will bring in some cheapish good quality players (as Pardew did at Newcastle last season) to complement what is already there and that they will make the top 10 and possibly even a UEFA place.

As Ole himself says, he's had offers but imo and no doubt Ole's too, Villa may just be too good to turn down hence why he met them, he has refused plenty of other offers. Don't forget how big a club Villa are, former European Champions too.

RedLars

It does seem like it based on the released answers. However, Ole was trying to balance on a very thin wire telling the fans who have made him into a local god that he wants to stay, he's thinking long term, he is so happy, etc, then turning around and telling the club execs he would leave ASAP if given the opportunity.

I'm an Ole fan, but if I'm a Molde supporter, I'm beyond pissed at Ole.

I still think it's stupid to leave Molde for Villa. You're just about to test yourself in the CL for the first time, you have a great young squad, and you're defending a title all surrounded by extremely loyal fans for your old team. Instead you want to head to Villa with inflated expectations, a manager who basically forced MON out of a job he was doing a great job at, and a team without any players worthy of top four material. He won't have the funds to get them anywhere, no European football.

Even if he's doing this to excel his career ambitions, you'd think holding off a season and testing himself in the CL with a minnow team would show his worth far more. Imagine if he actually does make a dent. We all know there's always open managerial position in the PL during a season.

At Villa, they won't give him time and if he fails, it won't be a small fail, it'll be an epic fail which will deter PL owners for years. The odds of his success just seem so small. I'm sure Fergie would hook him up with a few players though.

This just doesn't seem like Ole. It seems like someone who is getting a bit too over confident in themselves.
All of this is basically based on your personal assumption that the Villa job is not a great opportunity. Plenty on here, and indeed OGS himself disagree with you about that.

As far as I'm concerned, he's not likely to get a better offer while in Norway, no matter what he does with Molde. He's ambitious, and has made no attempts to hide that since he took over our reserves, and if he identifies this as a good an opportunity as he's going to get, there's absolutely nothing wrong in wanting to learn more about it.

Originally with the blessing of the board and directors of Molde, mind. Like I've stated before, he would look like an absolute fool to Lerner / Villa if he had changed his mind, in a business where reputation does matter.

I'm always right

All of this is basically based on your personal assumption that the Villa job is not a great opportunity. Plenty on here, and indeed OGS himself disagree with you about that.

As far as I'm concerned, he's not likely to get a better offer while in Norway, no matter what he does with Molde.
Agreed.

Maybe some don't understand what a big club Villa is?

Mark Hughes 1st big job (after Wales): Blackburn
Brian Kidd (after being SAF's assistant): Blackburn
Steve McClaren (after being SAF's assistant): Middlesborough
Steve Bruce: Sheffield United
ROY feckING KEANE: Sunderland in the Championship

See what I'm getting at? it's a fantastic opportunity for OGS.

davisjw

The bolded part is simply wrong. It's out in the open now, after his internal conversation with the director and his responses to Aker's questions were brought to the public, that he more or less would accept if he was offered the job from Villa.

That's how I interpreted it anyways- He also stated that he would be trying to bring Mark Dempsey and Rich Hartis (coaches he brought to Molde) as well as Magnus Wolff Eikrem with him if happened.
Posted just before your reply, but I was trying to say that Ole has told the fans he was staying, while going behind their backs and saying he'd like ASAP. I chose my wording poorly. I was trying to point out Ole's error in his PR skills.

davisjw

As far as I'm concerned, he's not likely to get a better offer while in Norway, no matter what he does with Molde.
It's a good opportunity for an experienced manager. But let's not pretend otherwise- Ole is still not experienced. He coached the reserves and did well, then had ONE season in NORWAY. Not to upset our Norwegian friends on here, but the Norwegian league is miles below even the Championship.

It's not whether landing the job is a good opportunity, it's whether it's a good fit for Ole. And I just cannot see why it would be based on my comments above.

And fans may say they aren't fussed about doing well, but Villa's past says otherwise. They'll be back to their usual selves in due time. Especially if Ole bombs out in the beginning.

RedLars

Posted just before your reply, but I was trying to say that Ole has told the fans he was staying, while going behind their backs and saying he'd like ASAP. I chose my wording poorly. I was trying to point out Ole's error in his PR skills.
If he's stated recently that he's staying on for x-months/years no matter what, then I agree that's unfortunate! I've not seen him state anything of the sort though, but then again I follow our national league very casually so I may well have missed it.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Found this on rednews, sorry if it was already posted. Main thing is Ole didn't turn Villa down.

"It is always flattering. When I was a footballer and United wanted to buy me I was flattered. Players want to be on the highest possible level and it's the same with me as manager. It may well be that two, three names will sound more interesting than mine and then maybe the mood turns. I know that Villa thought it was a bit boring because they wanted the process to go quietly. There was some suggestion I had turned them down and all sorts of things. I do not know who they (Villa) are considering and what they are going to do. I do not go and check the phone to see if they have called me. They will take the time they need. It's not something I think about. As long as I have a contract and work in Molde I do until something else happens."

Eriku

boring :lol:

I wonder who the feck translated and got the gist delivered to the English media. He never said anything to indicate that the Villa situation was over.

Eriku

Røkke's private jet has taken off with Ole aboard, he's going to Oslo to have a nice lil chat with Kjell-Inge.

Lot of buzz around Ole these days... I prefer it to transfer speculations of the United variety, though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Røkke's private jet has taken off with Ole aboard, he's going to Oslo to have a nice lil chat with Kjell-Inge.

Lot of buzz around Ole these days... I prefer it to transfer speculations of the United variety, though.
I find this story captivating. It is sad the events that have happened, in particular with Molde but the saga is an interesting one to follow.

Apparently Ole's wife has gone on the plane too. Here's a picture of them boarding on the plane: