Solskjaer's contract

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm firmly Ole in, but failure to get top 4 should result in him losing his job. If he wins the EL then it can be reconsidered.

Every manager in the post Fergie era has been fired after failing to get CL football after a full season. Ole should have the same demands. What's interesting is that he is likely to be the first manager to get top 4 two times in a row. If we strengthen the team further this summer then I have a hard time seeing him falling out of the top 4 next season as well. The question then becomes: how long is a manager allowed to stay without winning major trophies? What's the limit there? 3 years? 5? Even longer?
That's a very fair and reasonable post.

GoldTrafford99

6th..... Now we know your just having a laugh.

Do tell me what would be acceptable about becoming sixth or even fifth?

What would be the extenuating circumstances that would make it reasonable?

Would that still show progress?

If we win Europa he can come 6th. Ole should be given the same rules as our previous managers.

Football has changed mate and Ole doesn't have the credentials that Fergie had. Also the club made a clear plan to hire Fergie and if we are honest we fell into having Ole as manager as Jose was sacked.

Wow.

Talk about not getting it.

It. Is. Not. About. This. Season.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has signed the best young teen talent around the world; from Real Madrid's academy, from Barcelona's academy, from south America, from Italy... robbed some off Man City.

Pretty much everything Solskjaer has been putting in place since he came in is only about 30% of the way through fruition.

Amad Diallo

Matej Kovar
Marc Jurado
Willy Kambwala

Alvaro Fernandez
Isak
Hansen-Aaroen

Hannibal Mejbri

Charlie McNeill

Joe Hugill

Shola Shoretire
Facundo Pellistri

This is what Ole is building... all for the future.

It doesn't matter one jot if we are 2nd this year or 8th...

Same goes for next season.

Of course we would all like to finish as high as we can while we are in transition.. But the result of the transition is most important, not how many turns we take on the way to our destination. How can you not understand that?

Some fans don't have an ability to see past the "now!", the "this season". It's scandalous. They've chosen the wrong club to support.

Imagine sacking Alex in 1989 because he finished 13th and somebody saying, but hold on... have you seen what Alex is building in the background? And then they gave you a list like I have above, but in it were names like David Beckham, PaulScholes, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt etc... would you just have said "But we finished 13th!! I couldn't give a feck about the future. I only care about the now!" Just imagine how stupid it would have been to have said something like that...

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
1. I think Kloop is done at Liverpool, will either leave or get sack this season.

2. Laporta want Pep back to Barca to revive the team.

3. Maybe worth to keep Ole for another season to see what he can do?
Has Klopp ruled out ever managing Man Utd due to his Liverpool stint?

Nikelesh Reddy

I didn’t want Ole to be sacked when we lost 1-6 earlier in the season and I”m not getting delirious just because we beat City.Ole should earn the right to manage the club based on the progress that the team makes season after season...By finishing 3rd last season,he certainly deserved to get another season in charge.

If we finish 2nd and if we can finish 7-12 points away from the eventual champions,then that’s clear tangible progress in my eyes.If we can do this,then he certainly deserves to stay on for atleast another season...

jackal&hyde

Was wrong on the near 4th or 5th and as I always said am glad to be wrong.

Still was likely though.
You underestimate us. We lack the consistency of a title winning team but we've shown we can beat anybody. Gone are the days when we looked like sure victims in some games.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..

Except for Luke Shaw who is having the best season of his career: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/luke-shaw-credits-two-men-for-his-brilliant-man-utd-form#

rotherham_red

Top 4 with 75+ points was the target for me this season and that never changed, even when we were top of the table. Should he get the former without the latter, I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt.

The only way he's losing his job is if we don't get CL qualification, and even that's a 50/50 for me, as he seemingly still has the backing of the players and has done even when the times have been really, really bad.

Really happy for him that he and the team were able to push through the sticky spell, and I just hope we can get Pogba back fit soon to really help bring us forward.

AgentSmith

Let’s just take our time with the contract renewal. Learn the lesson from the contract awarded after that PSG game where our form and season torpedoed following it. It’s wrong to make long-term decisions based off the positivity generated by an individual result just like it’s wrong to do the same following a poor result.

There’s no real need to address the situation until the end of the season where Ole will most likely have secured a top 4 finish and a decent run in the cups at a bare minimum. If he has he deserves a new contract and as much backing as we can afford in the summer.

If we’ve dropped out of the top 4 it’s a tricky situation that needs to be addressed and a long-term year contract awarded 3 months prior won’t make it any easier. Thankfully I doubt we will be in this situation but it just seems unnecessary to jump the gun.

RUCK4444

No need to rush anything with the contract renewal and I'm saying that as a consistent backer of Ole. That said, let's take stock at the end of the season.

I'm confident that Ed and the owners have faith in Ole and the rebuild / approach Ole has taken since taking over. If there isn't a manager available at that time that is a guaranteed improvement on Ole then I would be absolutely furious if we let Ole go. Provided no complete collapse before the end of this season he absolutely deserves the chance to finish this rebuild and sign players in the remaining weak positions.

I've been confident for a long while that when we do plug those holes that Ole can compete at the top of this league, I still believe that. He still ticks many of the boxes I was looking for in a manager before his arrival.

Our future with Ole isn't guaranteed, nobodies is, but continual improvement needs to be nurtured and supported. Ole will always put the club first, he won't sign players with short term vision to get much needed results to simply save his own neck.

This is a major difference between Ole and the previous two managers. For the Ole sceptics what I would say is that at the very least with Ole you know he's not going to be setting us back a few years with poor spending and recruitment, areas like youth, recruitment, scouting and our actual progress on the pitch should be enough for most to agree to his extended stay until such time the progress halts and more importantly a guaranteed improvement on Ole becomes available.

Until those two bolded points become a reality Ole has my full backing.

wolvored

I'm firmly Ole in, but failure to get top 4 should result in him losing his job. If he wins the EL then it can be reconsidered.

Every manager in the post Fergie era has been fired after failing to get CL football after a full season. Ole should have the same demands. What's interesting is that he is likely to be the first manager to get top 4 two times in a row. If we strengthen the team further this summer then I have a hard time seeing him falling out of the top 4 next season as well. The question then becomes: how long is a manager allowed to stay without winning major trophies? What's the limit there? 3 years? 5? Even longer?
If he could get us 4th every year he would stay as manager until the owners sold up. That barrier to getting in the champions league and the riches it brings is all they are after. They would take last season's finish every year if they could.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Solskjaer should just get rolling contract renewals contingent on him meeting the club's objectives e.g. Champions League football. There's no need to hand out Moyes length six year deals. Just give Ole a year extension with the option of another year, and keep doing that unless Ole decides he wants to go or he doesn't make Champions League.

gajender

If he could get us 4th every year he would stay as manager until the owners sold up. That barrier to getting in the champions league and the riches it brings is all they are after. They would take last season's finish every year if they could.
That's just pure conjecture and I would rather say nonsense . The kind of money we have spent albeit poorly since Sir Alex's retirement clearly suggest otherwise.

wolvored

Wow.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has signed the best young teen talent around the world; from Real Madrid's academy, from Barcelona's academy, from south America, from Italy... robbed some off Man City.

Pretty much everything Solskjaer has been putting in place since he came in is only about 30% of the way through fruition.

Amad Diallo

Matej Kovar
Marc Jurado
Willy Kambwala

Alvaro Fernandez
Isak
Hansen-Aaroen

Hannibal Mejbri

Charlie McNeill

Joe Hugill

Shola Shoretire
Facundo Pellistri

Of course we would all like to finish as high as we can while we are in transition.. But the result of the transition is most important, not how many turns we take on the way to our destination. How can you not understand that?

Some fans don't have an ability to see past the "now!", the "this season". It's scandalous. They've chosen the wrong club to support.

Imagine sacking Alex in 1989 because he finished 13th and somebody saying, but hold on... have you seen what Alex is building in the background? And then they gave you a list like I have above, but in it were names like David Beckham, PaulScholes, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt etc... would you just have said "But we finished 13th!! I couldn't give a feck about the future. I only care about the now!" Just imagine how stupid it would have been to have said something like that...
:lol: At that time you would have said who the feck is Beckham scholes etc. If we had the same owners as we have now and the same commitments Fergie would have been sacked without anyone having a say in it

wolvored

That's just pure conjecture and I would rather say nonsense . The kind of money we have spent albeit poorly since Sir Alex's retirement clearly suggest otherwise.
Is it? That's just your thought on it. How come every manager has been sacked when top 4 hasn't or didn't look like been achieved? This was shown the day after VG won the FA cup, but finished 5th. Trophies don't come into the equation

wolvored

Solskjaer should just get rolling contract renewals contingent on him meeting the club's objectives e.g. Champions League football. There's no need to hand out Moyes length six year deals. Just give Ole a year extension with the option of another year, and keep doing that unless Ole decides he wants to go or he doesn't make Champions League.
That's the best idea. I think Fergie was even on that prior to the glazers

gajender

Is it? That's just your thought on it. How come every manager has been sacked when top 4 hasn't or didn't look like been achieved? This was shown the day after VG won the FA cup, but finished 5th. Trophies don't come into the equation
But that's not the point you were making what it proves is that's the bare minimum a manager needs to do stay in the job but whether thats the extent of Club's ambition is not conclusive .Our spending actually suggest Glazers want to Challenge for trophies because you don't spend that kind of money just to be top 4 club unfortunately money haven't been spent well that's where the problem lies.

Lentwood

I am all for being positive and I've preached so many times about the importance of patience and sustainability over immediate results but I don't agree that it doesn't matter at all.

Last season I held that opinion because the squad was in the middle of a major transformation from Jose to Ole. We knew we were going to be short in certain areas but we had made decisions like getting rid of Sanchez and Lukaku for the right reasons. For me, we wildly overachieved by finishing 3rd last season, it was almost miraculous.

However, I think from the end of last season onwards, there had to be targets. We can't be 8th and call that progress, just because there are some talented kids in the Academy.

I would say a base target for Ole now every season has to be Champions League qualification. We need to get back to this being a given like it is for City, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc...not debating about whether United would finish in the top four every season like we did under Moyes, LvG and Jose. That's not progress because the club needs to be certain of competing at the top level as part of the on-going drive to implement a long-term strategic vision.

Amir

That's the best idea. I think Fergie was even on that prior to the glazers
He did, but the difference is no one thought the club would ever refuse to give him the new one-year deal. Doing that with any other coach would be like keeping him on a permanent tight leash.

GoldTrafford99

:lol: At that time you would have said who the feck is Beckham scholes etc. If we had the same owners as we have now and the same commitments Fergie would have been sacked without anyone having a say in it

Exactly.

GoldTrafford99

That wouldn't play well in the dressing-room.

The players HAVE to know who the boss is; that it's his way or the High Way. If players have an inkling that the manager will get sacked in teh summer, then they have control of the dressing-room, not the manager.

It would be suicidal.

Also, it wouldn't play well for player transfers if they thought the manager who convinced them to sign may be leaving in the summer cos his contract may not be renewed.

Our football club, more than any other, needs to prove long-term investment in a manager. That's what helps sustain long-term success.

Ferguson was THE BOSS of Manchester United. He controlled everything. The players never had any control, cos they knew who the boss was. Ole has to be considered the boss by all of the players. He can't be considered, by the players, as somebody who may or may not get a contract renewal in the summer. That. very simply, wouldn't bring us long-term success.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That wouldn't play well in the dressing-room.

The players HAVE to know who the boss is; that it's his way or the High Way. If players have an inkling that the manager will get sacked in teh summer, then they have control of the dressing-room, not the manager.

It would be suicidal.

Also, it wouldn't play well for player transfers if they thought the manager who convinced them to sign may be leaving in the summer cos his contract may not be renewed.

Our football club, more than any other, needs to prove long-term investment in a manager. That's what helps sustain long-term success.

Ferguson was THE BOSS of Manchester United. He controlled everything. The players never had any control, cos they knew who the boss was. Ole has to be considered the boss by all of the players. He can't be considered, by the players, as somebody who may or may not get a contract renewal in the summer. That. very simply, wouldn't bring us long-term success.
But Fergie used to have a rolling contract.

I think the longest contract he ever signed was three of four years. After awhile it became pointless to put a number on it because everyone knew he wasn't going anywhere, so they just kept rolling it over til he said he was done.

I don't see any issues with Ole getting a rolling deal. They can just reference Fergie's deals.

Number TwentyFive

He was an amazing teenage player at Southampton and did very very well under Van Gaal.
Did very very well under van Gaal? First season unde LvG he was in and out of the team, LvG even critizised him about lack of comitment. He played 20 games inn all competitions that season. Second season under LvG Shaw started fatastic but was injured in mid september and played 8 games in all competitions that season. How could that be playing "very very well"?

Shaw has never been better than what he is now. Clearly most of the credit should go to Shaw himself, but the manager and cocaching team that is now has obviously helped him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Do we know - from reliable sources - what sort of money Ole is on?

My impression is that he's on far less than Maureen. Possibly less than LVG too.

GoldTrafford99

But Fergie used to have a rolling contract.

I think the longest contract he ever signed was three of four years. After awhile it became pointless to put a number on it because everyone knew he wasn't going anywhere, so they just kept rolling it over til he said he was done.

I don't see any issues with Ole getting a rolling deal. They can just reference Fergie's deals.

Fergie signed three five-year contracts with United.

After he u-turned on his retirement in 2001, and after a heart scare, he went to rolling one-years.. But at that stage there was no doubting who was boss... so it could work.

It wouldn't work with Ole now though. It wouldn't make sense. We need to show the dressing-room who is boss, not 'he might go in the summer if you lot don't pull your socks up.' That would never have been the case with Fergie from 2001 onwards.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Do we know - from reliable sources - what sort of money Ole is on?

My impression is that he's on far less than Maureen. Possibly less than LVG too.
Mourinho was on £15 million. Ole between £7.5 - 9 million from various reports with most of them going with the former figure.

Probably has some bonuses included in terms of achieving CL and so on, but it is pretty much half of what Jose was earning.

elPampa

Supports
FC St. Gallen 1879
Wow.

Amad Diallo

Matej Kovar
Marc Jurado
Willy Kambwala

Alvaro Fernandez
Isak
Hansen-Aaroen

Hannibal Mejbri

Charlie McNeill

Joe Hugill

Shola Shoretire
Facundo Pellistri

agree with you. Only for me the all important question, does ole have the potential to develop the talent of the players? I do not think so. l am for ole dof.

AgentSmith

So this is where all the eeeeeeediot Ole haters are. Good to see they are going to be quite for a few days at least!

Eeeeeeeeeediots!
GoldTrafford already prepped with his new account in case of a ban.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably has some bonuses included in terms of achieving CL and so on, but it is pretty much half of what Jose was earning.
Sounds about right.

In other words - he isn't on insane money at all. Far from it, given our history (our Woodward era history, not least).

Out of interest - does anyone have the numbers for LVG and Moyes?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I still wouldn't rush into any new deal but I accept it wouldn't be great to start next season with Solskjaer coming into his final year of the contract, it would become a distraction.