Solskjaer's contract

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I don't consider this season a title challenge. But it is an improvement, in the league at least.
Didn't that only happen after City fake sick noted their way into an extra few days off because of a supposed COVID outbreak which didn't actually occur?
There was a point earlier in the season where United was top of the league, even with City having played a match less I believe. From then, United went backwards, quite fast. Matchweek 18, Here.

Castia

"The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that".

I don't want to bang that drum, but we played Man City, AC Milan x 2 and West Ham in two weeks whilst Leicester played Sheff United. It's nowhere near the easiest chance of making a final. It's not just about being a one off game when we've played four times more than a very good Leicester team in what is their only chance of winning a trophy. They were all in for that game and fresh!
You’re always going to have a tough schedule around this time of season don’t get me wrong but a Leicester - Southampton road to the final? that’s about as good as it could get realistically.

Ironically he changed the team up for that Leicester game when he barely changed it in weeks ....fancy changing a team up going into a 2 week international break....mind boggling

Hughes35

At what point do we have to raise our ambitions in trying to move onto challenging for the title?

I disagree. He probably doesn't deserved to be sacked but I don't think that should be the benchmark for offering him a new contract. Offering a manager a new contract because they haven't been terrible also sends the wrong message that if you do just enough, it will be rewarded.

I think also think the uncertainty factor is just optics rather than anything substantive. I can't say I have much confidence in it but the new footballing structure should put us in a place where the clubs 'backing' isn't dependent on the managers status.
Not renewing the contract is the same as sacking him. Players never perform with uncertainty behind the scenes.

They have to know that Ole is backed by the board and there to stay.

Keefy18

Not before the transfer window played out as it did. But when it came to deadline day and we were struggling to get a bargain basement deal for Telles over the line and panic-signing a 34 year old on a free transfer... yeh I had no faith in a top four finish at that point. Probably very few did.

Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leicester have all gone backwards to varying degrees from last season. We've stayed more or less the same performance and results wise. That sort of good fortune isn't going to happen again, even with a constrained transfer market due to covid. For starters Liverpool will bounce back from this season and Chelsea have already massively improved under Tuchel without any transfers.
As Clayton said to you its incredible how anytime we do well its luck and down to other sides being poorer and never that we have improved.

Leicester are 3pts improved this season compared to last after 29 games.
Man City are 8pts better off this term over last year and 30 games.
Chelsea are 3pts better off this term over last year and 29 games.
Spurs are 7 pts better this term over last term after 29 games.
Arsenal even are 2 pts better off this term over last year and 29 games.

What you've said isn't factually true at all.

One team has dropped off a cliff, Liverpool due to injuries.

A simple browse on the premier league tables by you would of helped.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?co=1&se=363&ha=-1

Eriku

Not renewing the contract is the same as sacking him. Players never perform with uncertainty behind the scenes.

They have to know that Ole is backed by the board and there to stay.
Incredible that this point keeps getting asked, over and over, day by day... "What’s the rush?!"

This place needs an FAQ, but it’d be bloated as feck.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
At this point in time, Madrid, PSG, Chelsea, Inter all have a manager who's contract will expire in 2022. All of them will deal with it in the summer or even enter into the final year of the managers contract like PSG for example.

The players will always perform for the manager if he is improving their game while the players will sign for the club based on the wage package and being convinced that club is the right one for improving them/giving them titles.

Managers come and go these days. Every player in the world knows that even if Solskjaer signs that contract his position is not set in stone. Fail to make top 4 and bad start of the next season will mean he is gone. Like that was the case with Mourinho.

So, the question is, why don't we wait at least until the summer to make this decision?

Mainoldo

At this point in time, Madrid, PSG, Chelsea, Inter all have a manager who's contract will expire in 2022. All of them will deal with it in the summer or even enter into the final year of the managers contract like PSG for example.

The players will always perform for the manager if he is improving their game while the players will sign for the club based on the wage package and being convinced that club is the right one for improving them/giving them titles.

Managers come and go these days. Every player in the world knows that even if Solskjaer signs that contract his position is not set in stone. Fail to make top 4 and bad start of the next season will mean he is gone. Like that was the case with Mourinho.

So, the question is, why don't we wait at least until the summer to make this decision?
Our board are idiots that’s why. But people still understand their decision. Go figure what they are.

But either way the football is rubbish so atleast the soap opera of United is entertaining. I’m looking forward to the shock faces next season when we don’t win anything again.

red4ever 79

People need to get realistic here. Is Ole going to be given a new contract... The answer is absolutely yes 100% he will.

Whilst we have a board and owners who are seemingly content with Champions league qualification each year then you can say with clarity Ole is meeting those objectives. If the expectations were however to change and the owners wanted Utd to start winning trophies again and really competing for the league title then Ole is not going to be that guy to take us forward.

We are a cash cow for the Glazers and Ole is the perfect buffer for the owners. He is not going to crazy and start causing all kinds of political turmoil if he doesnt get the signing he wants. At the same time the Glazers are not going to fire Ole because that will cause huge backlash towards them. Ole is absolutely more than happy to have this job, really the luckiest guy in the world. At the same time, the supporters are not really going to turn on Ole. Yes you have some on here who are Ole out (me included) however the reality because of sentiment, nostalgia whatever you want to call it, he will be given leeway, and that is absolutely a dream for the Glazers and Ed.

To cut a long story, Ole is the man whilst the clubs expectations remain focused on top4 only. If the club want to achieve anything more than that, then Ole is not going to take us beyond that. At the same time as a supporter for many years all we can do is suffer because the performance and 6 at the back are draining the soul and enjoyment out of watching the games.

matsdf

To see how we will end our season would be my reasoning.
And why would we do that? Solskjaer's not going anywhere soon. Even if we miss top four and crash out of the EL he will probably still be here. Prolonging the decision does, at least for me, nothing at this point.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
"The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that".

I don't want to bang that drum, but we played Man City, AC Milan x 2 and West Ham in two weeks whilst Leicester played Sheff United. It's nowhere near the easiest chance of making a final. It's not just about being a one off game when we've played four times more than a very good Leicester team in what is their only chance of winning a trophy. They were all in for that game and fresh!
With the league being lost West Ham game was the time to rest players. It doesnt matter if we finish 15 points behind City in 2nd or 17 points behind them with a 3rd place finish.

Green Arrow

People need to get realistic here. Is Ole going to be given a new contract... The answer is absolutely yes 100% he will.

Whilst we have a board and owners who are seemingly content with Champions league qualification each year then you can say with clarity Ole is meeting those objectives. If the expectations were however to change and the owners wanted Utd to start winning trophies again and really competing for the league title then Ole is not going to be that guy to take us forward.

We are a cash cow for the Glazers and Ole is the perfect buffer for the owners. He is not going to crazy and start causing all kinds of political turmoil if he doesnt get the signing he wants. At the same time the Glazers are not going to fire Ole because that will cause huge backlash towards them. Ole is absolutely more than happy to have this job, really the luckiest guy in the world. At the same time, the supporters are not really going to turn on Ole. Yes you have some on here who are Ole out (me included) however the reality because of sentiment, nostalgia whatever you want to call it, he will be given leeway, and that is absolutely a dream for the Glazers and Ed.

To cut a long story, Ole is the man whilst the clubs expectations remain focused on top4 only. If the club want to achieve anything more than that, then Ole is not going to take us beyond that. At the same time as a supporter for many years all we can do is suffer because the performance and 6 at the back are draining the soul and enjoyment out of watching the games.
Well said sums up perfectly as to what is going on at the club!

Jim Beam

And why would we do that? Solskjaer's not going anywhere soon. Even if we miss top four and crash out of the EL he will probably still be here. Prolonging the decision does, at least for me, nothing at this point.
Well if you think that scenario is worthy of a new contract and a pay rise, great.

The whole point is also that players will always perform for the manager who is improving them, not because he has a lengthy contract.

hobbers

As Clayton said to you its incredible how anytime we do well its luck and down to other sides being poorer and never that we have improved.

Leicester are 3pts improved this season compared to last after 29 games.
Man City are 8pts better off this term over last year and 30 games.
Chelsea are 3pts better off this term over last year and 29 games.
Spurs are 7 pts better this term over last term after 29 games.
Arsenal even are 2 pts better off this term over last year and 29 games.

What you've said isn't factually true at all.
Looks like you're both trying to suggest other teams doing poorly can't be construed as luck on our part, which is ridiculous. Of course it's fecking luck. What is within our control isn't luck, what is not within our control is luck. And since we've performed absolutely abysmally in the games against the 5 sides I mentioned, and yet sit second in the table, that should be a big enough clue in itself that we've been very lucky that, for varying reasons, these sides have all had poor seasons relative to the standards they all set for themselves.

And just a heads up, a 2 or 3 points difference from where they were after 29 games is statistically insignificant. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean that they've improved on last season. And it certainly doesn't mean that they're all performing in line with their own or anyone elses' expectation levels.

Eddy_JukeZ

We seriously need to wait until the end of season and re-evaluate.

Woodward gave Jose an extension too soon and it bit him in the ***.

Calm down and re-evaluate.

If Nagelsmann is available in the summer, we need to get him.

Womp

idiot
We seriously need to wait until the end of season and re-evaluate.

Woodward gave Jose an extension too soon and it bit him in the ***.

Calm down and re-evaluate.

If Nagelsmann is available in the summer, we need to get him.
I'd be very surprised if we don't miss out on him, eventually realize the current set up isn't working and eventually have to settle for another has been, leaving us once again painfully hoping he is the one, clutching onto straws, only to slowly realize it's not working. Rinse and repeat.

Keefy18

Looks like you're both trying to suggest other teams doing poorly can't be construed as luck on our part, which is ridiculous. Of course it's fecking luck. What is within our control isn't luck, what is not within our control is luck. And since we've performed absolutely abysmally in the games against the 5 sides I mentioned, and yet sit second in the table, that should be a big enough clue in itself that we've been very lucky that, for varying reasons, these sides have all had poor seasons relative to the standards they all set for themselves.

Luck is only one element, over a 38 game season luck is quite minor in everything.

It's like saying Liverpool were exceptionally lucky last season because all other sides were exceptionally poor last term, by your logic they are the luckiest team in the history of the league considering they wrapped it up earlier than any other side in the competitions history.

Or it could just be they were vastly superior to all other sides?

And the highlighted part is pretty much irrelevant anyway, I'm pretty sure LVG smashed the "traditional top 6 sides" with relative ease over his 2 years here and it mattered little. Overall the football was poor and we ended up finish 4th & 5th.

And just a heads up, a 2 or 3 points difference from where they were after 29 games is statistically insignificant. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean that they've improved on last season. And it certainly doesn't mean that they're all performing in line with their own or anyone elses' expectation levels.
Extra points on the board is the definitive marker to tell if a side has improved or not, we've improved to the tune of 12pts.

I think its a bit disingenuous to sum our position up to luck , nothing to do with the marked improvement in our ability to pick up pts against relegation battling sides? The Bruno / Pogba pairing has helped us no end, the early season form of Cavani? Marked improvement of Shaw? Rashford has had a very good season also again. We've become a far more difficult side to beat for the majority of the season as well across all competitions.

Last season we lost to Palace, Hammers, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Watford & Burnley.

This year we've only lost to Palace, Spurs, Arsenal and Sheffield United.

And if you want to bring luck or lack thereof that loss to Sheffield United was damned unlucky with a perfectly good Maguire goal ruled out and then losing to a deflected own goal.

Otherwise we'd be looking at a supposed "lucky" 15pt improvement.

lysglimt

Scout

You could turn it around and say its bloody rotten luck that City went on a winning spree that was just insane.

RedStarUnited

Underperforming based on what? One away loss in a year? We’re second only to City who have the best coach in the world armed with a blank cheque. Fair enough if you aren’t happy with Ole or think we could be doing better, but I don’t think you can say we’re below where we should be.
On the fact that we are not challenging for the title.

jbwilliamz

You’re always going to have a tough schedule around this time of season don’t get me wrong but a Leicester - Southampton road to the final? that’s about as good as it could get realistically.

Ironically he changed the team up for that Leicester game when he barely changed it in weeks ....fancy changing a team up going into a 2 week international break....mind boggling
Well, teams doing well will have a busy schedule at this time of year. Which United are. But this is also unlike any other season where they've had minimal rest between seasons after finishing a punishing final to the last season. All teams other than Man City who've played mid-week have struggled for any sort of consistency - United have been the best of the rest.

I mean, he's with these players daily. We have absolutely no knowledge of what condition physically/mentally they're in and we'll all agree that the squad isn't exactly flush with strength in depth.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
On the fact that we are not challenging for the title.
Last season we were miles away from that, to the extent that our ‘challenge’ this season was actually a pleasant surprise. I’d say we should be giving Ole credit that one ever materialised, rather than sacking him because we didn’t win it. We’ve made progress, that’s good. Now let’s make some more instead of going back to square one.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Do people actually expect us to renew his contract without giving him a pay rise?

"Yeah, you can have another year 'cause we're feeling charitable - but forget about making a penny more."

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda to the point of throwing all common sense out the window.

Anyway, as others have said - what has been suggested in the media is a 2 + 1 deal. Which essentially means giving him another year. Having him starting next season (and he obviously will - the idea that he'll be sacked after this season is pure fantasy) with a contract expiring in June 2022 is a no-go. How is he supposed to attract new players to his "project" if everyone knows the owners have very little confidence in him?

He's not being offered a ridiculous, Moyes style contract. He'll be offered a contract until 2023 (rather than 2022), essentially - with the club having the option to extend it. It's a one year extension, basically. Which makes perfect sense unless you think we absolutely have to get rid of him as soon as possible.

Darlington Padgett

Do people actually expect us to renew his contract without giving him a pay rise?

"Yeah, you can have another year 'cause we're feeling charitable - but forget about making a penny more."

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda to the point of throwing all common sense out the window.

Anyway, as others have said - what has been suggested in the media is a 2 + 1 deal. Which essentially means giving him another year. Having him starting next season (and he obviously will - the idea that he'll be sacked after this season is pure fantasy) with a contract expiring in June 2022 is a no-go. How is he supposed to attract new players to his "project" if everyone knows the owners have very little confidence in him?

He's not being offered a ridiculous, Moyes style contract. He'll be offered a contract until 2023 (rather than 2022), essentially - with the club having the option to extend it. It's a one year extension, basically. Which makes perfect sense unless you think we absolutely have to get rid of him as soon as possible.
That's not a normal pay rise, that's a 30% increase. Considering he shouldn't be getting a contract at this stage of the season, giving him a 30% increase makes it even worse.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So we cannot buy players because of Covid but if you are not improving based on your last year's performance, you get a 30% pay rise. It's not as if anyone else would pay him anywhere near that.

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

This.

It's pretty much just an extra year contract to let the manager understands that the board and owner have confidence in him for the progress. I don't see what the fuss is about. One extra year contract and payrise to 10m. Even with the payrise, he will still be under Ancelotti (11m). His current one is only 5m less than Bielsa (8m), so it makes sense to give him something higher than Bielsa.

Jim Beam

We are probably the only club in the world who is selling managers and not club vision to the approaching player.

As for the money, have zero problems with it. United manager can't be on 100 - 150k per week shouting orders to Pogba and De Gea. That would send a message that club doesn't value him so much.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's not a normal pay rise, that's a 30% increase. Considering he shouldn't be getting a contract at this stage of the season, giving him a 30% increase makes it even worse.
How much would you increase his contract with, then? I assume you have gone over the books, factored in every decimal, and compared it all to relevant counterpart examples. How about 14 percent - that'd be alright? Or nine, perhaps? Based on the goals scored to total revenue ratio, I mean.

Let's be honest, shall we? The numbers mean feck all, the timing means feck all too - it's the fact that he has been offered a new contract as such you have a problem with.

Kaos

Not that I'm opposed to giving him a raise, but in all honesty if we were just to offer him the same terms what would he do? Turn it down and threaten to leave? Which other big club would hire him nevermind offer him what he's currently on? Will he go back to Molde expecting them to cough up £10mil a year for him?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
At least you know how much they are paying your manager. The only thing I have read about Tuchel's contract and wages is that it is incentive based. As Chelsea hits different milestones in the table with wins, it triggers more bonuses, Trophies also trigger bonuses. I have never seen anyone even try to guess at the amount he is being paid.

Siorac

I mean, sure, at this point it's squabbling over what amounts to pennies in the world of football but 30%? A 10% raise I could see as reasonable but 30 fecking percent? We're not THAT good.

I'd rather we had the guts to go into a manager's last year of contract without giving him an extension but it is what it is. I don't think it would particularly hinder our ability to attract players: surely players these days must know that a manager can be sacked at a moment's notice anyway, contract or no contract? We fired one of ours the day after winning the FA Cup!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not that I'm opposed to giving him a raise, but in all honesty if we were just to offer him the same terms what would he do? Turn it down and threaten to leave? Which other big club would hire him nevermind offer him what he's currently on? Will he go back to Molde expecting them to cough up £10mil a year for him?
I don't know. But if I were him I'd probably be offended. Given how football on the top level works.

But some people think that Ole should feel so grateful he was given the job in the first place that he should - actually - be happy to take a pay cut on his new contract.

'Cause, you know, he's a PE teacher and all that.

I'd like to see an example of a top club offering a manager a new contract that did not involve an increased salary. Seriously - it has probably happened: I'd like an example, though.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A 10% raise I could see as reasonable but 30 fecking percent? We're not THAT good.
I honestly don't know how that compares to similar cases - so provide me with numbers.

United usually overpays for everything - so there's that. But this focus on exactly how much the new contract is - supposedly - worth just strikes me as pointless nitpicking. And the reason most people are nitpicking is obvious - it has nothing to do with money.

Kaos

I don't know. But if I were him I'd probably be offended. Given how football on the top level works.

But some people think that Ole should feel so grateful he was given the job in the first place that he should - actually - be happy to take a pay cut on his new contract.

'Cause, you know, he's a PE teacher and all that.

I'd like to see an example of a top club offering a manager a new contract that did not involve an increased salary. Seriously - it has probably happened: I'd like an example, though.
I mean if I were Solskjaer, I would be pinching myself knowing I'm somehow the United manager after spending a decade in the Norwegian league. Gratitude might not be the sentiment, but he should certainly feel lucky. Suggesting he should take a paycut is sheer stupidity, but I don't think he's achieved anything to warrant such a substantial boost in his terms nor does he have any leverage - we're not trying to retain Guardiola here. I'm all for giving him a slight increase but perhaps throw in some incentive clauses like winning a trophy or finishing within 10 points of first.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm all for giving him a slight increase but perhaps throw in some incentive clauses like winning a trophy or finishing within 10 points of first.
Would you really be happy with that? I mean - come on, honestly?

You'd be fine with Ole getting a new contract - only a less lucrative one for him personally?

ETA As for incentive clauses - again, come on! Is there any manager out there who has a contract stipulating that he has to come within 10 points of 1st?

Amir

Didn't that only happen after City fake sick noted their way into an extra few days off because of a supposed COVID outbreak which didn't actually occur?
They started the winning streak just before that, had one game off - which was then added to the busy schedule they already add later on - and back playing.

Also, they did have several players with Covid.

Trying to make something out of that is RAWK level.