Solskjaer's contract

Looks like you're both trying to suggest other teams doing poorly can't be construed as luck on our part, which is ridiculous. Of course it's fecking luck. What is within our control isn't luck, what is not within our control is luck. And since we've performed absolutely abysmally in the games against the 5 sides I mentioned, and yet sit second in the table, that should be a big enough clue in itself that we've been very lucky that, for varying reasons, these sides have all had poor seasons relative to the standards they all set for themselves.

And just a heads up, a 2 or 3 points difference from where they were after 29 games is statistically insignificant. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean that they've improved on last season. And it certainly doesn't mean that they're all performing in line with their own or anyone elses' expectation levels.

You could turn it around and say its bloody rotten luck that City went on a winning spree that was just insane.

Underperforming based on what? One away loss in a year? We’re second only to City who have the best coach in the world armed with a blank cheque. Fair enough if you aren’t happy with Ole or think we could be doing better, but I don’t think you can say we’re below where we should be.

On the fact that we are not challenging for the title.

You’re always going to have a tough schedule around this time of season don’t get me wrong but a Leicester - Southampton road to the final? that’s about as good as it could get realistically.

Ironically he changed the team up for that Leicester game when he barely changed it in weeks ....fancy changing a team up going into a 2 week international break....mind boggling

Well, teams doing well will have a busy schedule at this time of year. Which United are. But this is also unlike any other season where they've had minimal rest between seasons after finishing a punishing final to the last season. All teams other than Man City who've played mid-week have struggled for any sort of consistency - United have been the best of the rest.

I mean, he's with these players daily. We have absolutely no knowledge of what condition physically/mentally they're in and we'll all agree that the squad isn't exactly flush with strength in depth.

On the fact that we are not challenging for the title.
Last season we were miles away from that, to the extent that our ‘challenge’ this season was actually a pleasant surprise. I’d say we should be giving Ole credit that one ever materialised, rather than sacking him because we didn’t win it. We’ve made progress, that’s good. Now let’s make some more instead of going back to square one.

Do people actually expect us to renew his contract without giving him a pay rise?

"Yeah, you can have another year 'cause we're feeling charitable - but forget about making a penny more."

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda to the point of throwing all common sense out the window.

Anyway, as others have said - what has been suggested in the media is a 2 + 1 deal. Which essentially means giving him another year. Having him starting next season (and he obviously will - the idea that he'll be sacked after this season is pure fantasy) with a contract expiring in June 2022 is a no-go. How is he supposed to attract new players to his "project" if everyone knows the owners have very little confidence in him?

He's not being offered a ridiculous, Moyes style contract. He'll be offered a contract until 2023 (rather than 2022), essentially - with the club having the option to extend it. It's a one year extension, basically. Which makes perfect sense unless you think we absolutely have to get rid of him as soon as possible.

Do people actually expect us to renew his contract without giving him a pay rise?

"Yeah, you can have another year 'cause we're feeling charitable - but forget about making a penny more."

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda to the point of throwing all common sense out the window.

Anyway, as others have said - what has been suggested in the media is a 2 + 1 deal. Which essentially means giving him another year. Having him starting next season (and he obviously will - the idea that he'll be sacked after this season is pure fantasy) with a contract expiring in June 2022 is a no-go. How is he supposed to attract new players to his "project" if everyone knows the owners have very little confidence in him?

He's not being offered a ridiculous, Moyes style contract. He'll be offered a contract until 2023 (rather than 2022), essentially - with the club having the option to extend it. It's a one year extension, basically. Which makes perfect sense unless you think we absolutely have to get rid of him as soon as possible.
That's not a normal pay rise, that's a 30% increase. Considering he shouldn't be getting a contract at this stage of the season, giving him a 30% increase makes it even worse.

So we cannot buy players because of Covid but if you are not improving based on your last year's performance, you get a 30% pay rise. It's not as if anyone else would pay him anywhere near that.

Talk about being blinded by one's agenda.

This.

It's pretty much just an extra year contract to let the manager understands that the board and owner have confidence in him for the progress. I don't see what the fuss is about. One extra year contract and payrise to 10m. Even with the payrise, he will still be under Ancelotti (11m). His current one is only 5m less than Bielsa (8m), so it makes sense to give him something higher than Bielsa.

We are probably the only club in the world who is selling managers and not club vision to the approaching player.

As for the money, have zero problems with it. United manager can't be on 100 - 150k per week shouting orders to Pogba and De Gea. That would send a message that club doesn't value him so much.

That's not a normal pay rise, that's a 30% increase. Considering he shouldn't be getting a contract at this stage of the season, giving him a 30% increase makes it even worse.

How much would you increase his contract with, then? I assume you have gone over the books, factored in every decimal, and compared it all to relevant counterpart examples. How about 14 percent - that'd be alright? Or nine, perhaps? Based on the goals scored to total revenue ratio, I mean.

Let's be honest, shall we? The numbers mean feck all, the timing means feck all too - it's the fact that he has been offered a new contract as such you have a problem with.

Not that I'm opposed to giving him a raise, but in all honesty if we were just to offer him the same terms what would he do? Turn it down and threaten to leave? Which other big club would hire him nevermind offer him what he's currently on? Will he go back to Molde expecting them to cough up £10mil a year for him?

At least you know how much they are paying your manager. The only thing I have read about Tuchel's contract and wages is that it is incentive based. As Chelsea hits different milestones in the table with wins, it triggers more bonuses, Trophies also trigger bonuses. I have never seen anyone even try to guess at the amount he is being paid.

I mean, sure, at this point it's squabbling over what amounts to pennies in the world of football but 30%? A 10% raise I could see as reasonable but 30 fecking percent? We're not THAT good.

I'd rather we had the guts to go into a manager's last year of contract without giving him an extension but it is what it is. I don't think it would particularly hinder our ability to attract players: surely players these days must know that a manager can be sacked at a moment's notice anyway, contract or no contract? We fired one of ours the day after winning the FA Cup!

Not that I'm opposed to giving him a raise, but in all honesty if we were just to offer him the same terms what would he do? Turn it down and threaten to leave? Which other big club would hire him nevermind offer him what he's currently on? Will he go back to Molde expecting them to cough up £10mil a year for him?

I don't know. But if I were him I'd probably be offended. Given how football on the top level works.

But some people think that Ole should feel so grateful he was given the job in the first place that he should - actually - be happy to take a pay cut on his new contract.

'Cause, you know, he's a PE teacher and all that.

I'd like to see an example of a top club offering a manager a new contract that did not involve an increased salary. Seriously - it has probably happened: I'd like an example, though.

A 10% raise I could see as reasonable but 30 fecking percent? We're not THAT good.

I honestly don't know how that compares to similar cases - so provide me with numbers.

United usually overpays for everything - so there's that. But this focus on exactly how much the new contract is - supposedly - worth just strikes me as pointless nitpicking. And the reason most people are nitpicking is obvious - it has nothing to do with money.

I don't know. But if I were him I'd probably be offended. Given how football on the top level works.

But some people think that Ole should feel so grateful he was given the job in the first place that he should - actually - be happy to take a pay cut on his new contract.

'Cause, you know, he's a PE teacher and all that.

I'd like to see an example of a top club offering a manager a new contract that did not involve an increased salary. Seriously - it has probably happened: I'd like an example, though.
I mean if I were Solskjaer, I would be pinching myself knowing I'm somehow the United manager after spending a decade in the Norwegian league. Gratitude might not be the sentiment, but he should certainly feel lucky. Suggesting he should take a paycut is sheer stupidity, but I don't think he's achieved anything to warrant such a substantial boost in his terms nor does he have any leverage - we're not trying to retain Guardiola here. I'm all for giving him a slight increase but perhaps throw in some incentive clauses like winning a trophy or finishing within 10 points of first.

I'm all for giving him a slight increase but perhaps throw in some incentive clauses like winning a trophy or finishing within 10 points of first.

Would you really be happy with that? I mean - come on, honestly?

You'd be fine with Ole getting a new contract - only a less lucrative one for him personally?

ETA As for incentive clauses - again, come on! Is there any manager out there who has a contract stipulating that he has to come within 10 points of 1st?

Didn't that only happen after City fake sick noted their way into an extra few days off because of a supposed COVID outbreak which didn't actually occur?

They started the winning streak just before that, had one game off - which was then added to the busy schedule they already add later on - and back playing.

Also, they did have several players with Covid.

Trying to make something out of that is RAWK level.

At this point in time, Madrid, PSG, Chelsea, Inter all have a manager who's contract will expire in 2022. All of them will deal with it in the summer or even enter into the final year of the managers contract like PSG for example.

The players will always perform for the manager if he is improving their game while the players will sign for the club based on the wage package and being convinced that club is the right one for improving them/giving them titles.

Sometimes I think that people here are under the spell of the very wrong legend we struggled in 2001/2 because it was going to be Fergie's last and only improved once he decided to stay.

Uncertainly goes with football. And players go on.

How much would you increase his contract with, then? I assume you have gone over the books, factored in every decimal, and compared it all to relevant counterpart examples. How about 14 percent - that'd be alright? Or nine, perhaps? Based on the goals scored to total revenue ratio, I mean.

Let's be honest, shall we? The numbers mean feck all, the timing means feck all too - it's the fact that he has been offered a new contract as such you have a problem with.
You're right, I don't care about how much the glazers pay him. He has to go, we're no longer improving with him.
He did a good job clearing some dead wood, we can give him that. But in terms of football, we're just as bad as we were a few years ago.
He's been here two full years and we're still missing the exact same pieces to complete our squad. We need a striker, rb, cb, cdm, and a cm, despite investing over 200 million in those positions. We are out of the cups, not competing to win the league, and we can't beat Arteta,so we're probably out of the europa league if we face them.
Why should he get a new contract? Give me a good reason.

You're right, I don't care about how much the glazers pay him. He has to go, we're no longer improving with him.
He did a good job clearing some dead wood, we can give him that. But in terms of football, we're just as bad as we were a few years ago.
He's been here two full years and we're still missing the exact same pieces to complete our squad. We need a striker, rb, cb, cdm, and a cm, despite investing over 200 million in those positions. We are out of the cups, not competing to win the league, and we can't beat Arteta,so we're probably out of the europa league if we face them.
Why should he get a new contract? Give me a good reason.
What a load of old tosh.

Good - that's what I was getting at. Fair opinion - just don't pretend it has anything to do with the size of his supposed paycheck.

Do you seriously think it's a realistic scenario that United offer him a new contract without increasing his salary?

Nah - you don't, do you? 'Cause you're presumably not a raging idiot. So, what are you actually on about? You don't want him to get a new contract - yeah? That's fine. Just say that, then.

I don't really get the pay increase or the rush. Solskjaer does not have top clubs lining up to take him as their manager. The only top club that wants him is Manutd.

There is no risk of losing him, so just leave it until the end of the season, at least. The last time we gave him a contract, we ended up going on a dreadful run straight afterwards. I don't think he would have even got the permanent position had the decision been left until the summer back then.

As to pay, he is already on a huge wage. It is not necessary to give a player/manager more money every time you offer them a contract. The only time it is necessary is if there is actually a real risk of losing them. But we do this with players who we will never lose, and now we are doing it with the manager. Solskjaer would sign the same contract that he had before.

Guardiola had signed a two year extension in November. With the apparent three year extension, Solskjaer will get two chances to best the checkbook manager.

I mean if I were Solskjaer, I would be pinching myself knowing I'm somehow the United manager after spending a decade in the Norwegian league. Gratitude might not be the sentiment, but he should certainly feel lucky. Suggesting he should take a paycut is sheer stupidity, but I don't think he's achieved anything to warrant such a substantial boost in his terms nor does he have any leverage - we're not trying to retain Guardiola here. I'm all for giving him a slight increase but perhaps throw in some incentive clauses like winning a trophy or finishing within 10 points of first.

Contract offers don't come with "same conditions" extensions. And that's the end of it. Source: Negotiate workplace contracts annually.

We gave him too much to begin with. But if you extend it, then you have to increase a bit. 5, 10 or 15%. But that is far too much, he hasn't won a cup nor are we close to challenging for anything.

The club is happy with anything these days, we set the bar so low, that top 4 finishes are already a success. 10 years ago, people on here would laugh at this if you suggested so.

Fortunate to get the interim role. Everything thats happened since - the permanent contract and this new contract - were earned and deserved.

Top 4 is all they care about, if he can deliver top 4 every season he’ll stay on.

From my perspective he needs to start challenging for trophies, The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that. I know it’s ‘only’ the FA cup but a trophy could completely change the attitude/dynamic around the place.

Why would it?

You do realize we've 8 or 9 league / cup winners in our squad?

Quite a few of them have picked up the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa already.

We didn't kick on after LVG winning us the FA Cup did we?

By no means a guarantee we'll progress from there.

It seems a considerable portion of the fan base feel entitled to success and if it isn’t forthcoming people expect quick band aid solutions.

For the record, I don’t think Ole is the right fit for the job in the long run. But I don’t think a new manager will change anything until the club is adequately resourced at the player and coaching level.

It will take a few more full seasons before we become a sustained powerhouse.

The Ole in or Ole out conundrum isn’t really even worth addressing at this stage. There needs to be structural change at the top.

Lots of back room changes under Ole and very recently with Murtagh becoming football director and Fletcher technical director.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/...er Darren,the club's first technical director.

Only problem is Judge is still negotiating :wenger:

They started the winning streak just before that, had one game off - which was then added to the busy schedule they already add later on - and back playing.

Also, they did have several players with Covid.

Trying to make something out of that is RAWK level.

So, particulars aside, you're denying that a break at that point in the season wasn't of benefit to City?

So, particulars aside, you're denying that a break at that point in the season wasn't of benefit to City?

Short term yes, as a few days break served them well for the next couple of matches. But not beyond that. And the addition of the postponed match against Everton to their schedule made things more difficult for them later.

So overall, it matters very little. They didn't disappear at the top of the league because of that or anything.

Short term yes, as a few days break served them well for the next couple of matches. But not beyond that. And the addition of the postponed match against Everton to their schedule made things more difficult for them later.

So overall, it matters very little. They didn't disappear at the top of the league because of that or anything.

So you've never taken a week off of work after a gruelling few months and come back refreshed and ready to plug on for another quarter? Rest is important and the rest of the league really didn't get that at the peak of the busy Christmas season.

Why would it?

You do realize we've 8 or 9 league / cup winners in our squad?

Quite a few of them have picked up the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa already.

We didn't kick on after LVG winning us the FA Cup did we?

By no means a guarantee we'll progress from there.

Never said it would guarantee.

But getting back into a winning habit surely can’t be a bad thing?

So you've never taken a week off of work after a gruelling few months and come back refreshed and ready to plug on for another quarter? Rest is important and the rest of the league really didn't get that at the peak of the busy Christmas season.

Personally after I take time off I feel sorry for myself that it's over, and after a few hours back at work feel as though nothing has changed.

Rest is important and City having a bit of a break - it was just one game, at the end of the day - wasn't terrible for them, although I would hardly call it relaxing time off with several players struck with Covid, others being tested and the training ground closed!

In a season full of games, any benefit from that short time off would be quickly offset, and the addition of the Everton match in the second part of the season would add to their struggle.

So again, might it have given them a short-term boost on late December/early January? Possibly. Did it make much difference in the grand scheme of things? No. They ran away with it because they were brilliant, not because one of their games was called off.