Solskjaer's legacy and his future

AndySmith1990

Let down by the board you say. He was the most backed manager in the transfer market post SAF.
Yeah it's funny how not a single person suggested he had been let down by the board after we'd signed Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo

kthanksbye

The players liked him because he was a pushover, the players were playing for him, but they became more and more physically unfit and tactically underprepared the longer Ole remained in-charge. If he had stayed longer the results would’ve only gotten worse.
They liked him but did not respect him or fear him, there were no consequences for poor fitness or bad form. Maybe his style of management is different, he expected the players to take individual responsibility, train hard, spend time on fitness, but the players turned out to be absolute snakes who were happy to take the weekly paycheck and couldn’t be arsed to turn up for games, mentally or physically. The number of games our opponents have looked sharper faster and stronger than us, has been embarrassing, this is on the players as much as it is on the manager. Everytime we’ve been tactically outplayed has to be on Ole alone.

tomaldinho1

We'd have more points if he'd stayed. But we also probably would have never taken the knife to this squad, which we desperately need.
I’m not sure. There was a full fall off the cliff face in form which stopped when Carrick came in, that for me proves he’d lost the players completely given nothing was different bar Ole had left.
Now is different, Ragnick has lost most players who want out (which is about 10 supposedly) but isn’t letting them get away with it. Same issue, same crap form but at least some accountability.

Lentwood

I think we had a style. It was fast transition from defending to attacking with lot of space and freedom for attacking players in the last third. He did put lot of thrust in players ability. System required also that our attacking players learned defending which they didn't. At least not in Solskjaer last season. They started walking and leaving spaces for opposition to dominate midfield. Our midfield were overun pretty much every game. People loved to have a go at Fred and McTominay but they couldn't cover 50m wide and 70m lenght of the football pitch alone while our wingers and other offensive players walked around. Just watch how many chances we allowed from left or right side. Or just watch how many times Maguire and Lindelof had to step up to help, only to be caught with a longer ball. With Rangnick I have seen little better organisation to close spaces and save energy even when we press. Basic problem is still the same. Lot of passengers and players that hide.

Rangnick need to stay. We agree on that even if we don't really agree on position. However, as you said, maybe we should follow the plan we had but I wouldn't mind him as a manager and to give him time.

Achievement in some big way? No. But it is a fact. People can say that Liverpool had injuries but so did we.
It's nice to find people who understand what they are watching buried amongst all the crap every now and again.

I 100% agree with your analysis. In my opinion, the lack of aggression and defensive capabilities demonstrated by the forwards is the biggest reason for our struggles this season.

The defence and CMs have done their part by playing higher and more aggressively yet they are let down time and time again by their colleagues in the attacking positions who leave them exposed - then guess who gets all the blame after the games...

Likewise, De Gea is 'cheating' his teammates in my opinion, playing a game which suits his style to the detriment of the others. At least Henderson tries to help his back four. DDG seems only concerned with what's best for him.

Again, guess who then gets praised after games and labelled as having a "great season".

It wasn't such a big issue last season because we weren't quite so high and quite so aggressive, particularly in away games or games against the top six.

Of course, you can debate how good some of our players are, personally I wouldn't claim McTominay, Fred and AWB, for example, are "elite"...but they are certainly 'good enough' to finish top four when playing in a cohesive team with a defined structure.

Jericholyte2

I’m just surprised, given (according to the Ole Preservation Society) how amazingly well he did, that his name isn’t being thrown out to replace Poch at PSG, or Ancelotti at Real.

Boggles the mind how they could ignore such a talent.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I’m just surprised, given (according to the Ole Preservation Society) how amazingly well he did, that his name isn’t being thrown out to replace Poch at PSG, or Ancelotti at Real. Boggles the mind how they could ignore such a talent.
There is no inconsistency between Ole doing a decent job at United (results-wise) and him not being a particularly good manager. Managers' ability to perform at clubs can be highly situational. If it weren't, people here would be dying to hire Zinedine Zidane.

United_98

Let down by the board you say. He was the most backed manager in the transfer market post SAF.
Clearly, he doesn't have full control of transfer. One VDB say it all...
And he just didn't voice it out in front of camera like Jose and Ralf

Jericholyte2

There is no inconsistency between Ole doing a decent job at United (results-wise) and him not being a particularly good manager. Managers' ability to perform at clubs can be highly situational. If it weren't, people here would be dying to hire Zinedine Zidane.
Many on here were begging for us to hire Zidane!

Polar

We'd have more points if he'd stayed. But we also probably would have never taken the knife to this squad, which we desperately need.
Agree, but I also think stabbing the squad with the knife is more a interim manager’s privilege compared with the permanent manager. The permanent manager has to balance much more in order to get results the next day and keep his job.

90 + 5min

It's nice to find people who understand what they are watching buried amongst all the crap every now and again.

I 100% agree with your analysis. In my opinion, the lack of aggression and defensive capabilities demonstrated by the forwards is the biggest reason for our struggles this season.

The defence and CMs have done their part by playing higher and more aggressively yet they are let down time and time again by their colleagues in the attacking positions who leave them exposed - then guess who gets all the blame after the games...

Likewise, De Gea is 'cheating' his teammates in my opinion, playing a game which suits his style to the detriment of the others. At least Henderson tries to help his back four. DDG seems only concerned with what's best for him.

Again, guess who then gets praised after games and labelled as having a "great season".

It wasn't such a big issue last season because we weren't quite so high and quite so aggressive, particularly in away games or games against the top six.

Of course, you can debate how good some of our players are, personally I wouldn't claim McTominay, Fred and AWB, for example, are "elite"...but they are certainly 'good enough' to finish top four when playing in a cohesive team with a defined structure.
I got to admit I have been writing "crap" sometimes but there is need to discuss on the same level as others once or twice.

As you said, we don't need to be max. elite level to have good season and top four. Talent is there somewhere. Maybe. But effort is not. I've been talking a lot about pride, desire, passion, willingness to stick head in where people don't put foot in. To have honour in there job. To work for eachother. That is something we miss. People can have go at Solskjaer and Rangnick and Mourinho or whoever but if players don't care about working hard, it is impossible to do anything inclusive to show talent. If it is there.

Team is like a chain. It has to work as whole. If one part is broken it doesn't work. If you have like us multiple parts that are broken it will never work. Simple.

Ralph1386

Clearly, he doesn't have full control of transfer. One VDB say it all...
And he just didn't voice it out in front of camera like Jose and Ralf
If he didn’t know how to use VDB it doesn’t mean he didn’t initially want him. VDB was second choice after Grealish who was too expensive. He initially wanted him as a back-up for Bruno.

He had no idea how to use Sancho either, doesn’t mean he didn’t want him.

Utuhu

He and Woodward led us to this mess we are in. His managerial fanbase should ask themselves why no club has employed him since.

Shai-Hulud

I think a better course of events would have been: No Ronaldo return. Ole stays until summer 22. No Ralf. EtH takes over. Might have swung a 4th place finish that way.

tomaldinho1

I think a better course of events would have been: No Ronaldo return. Ole stays until summer 22. No Ralf. EtH takes over. Might have swung a 4th place finish that way.
More likely we’d scrape top 10. Our form under him last season was woeful.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
A better course of events would've been Ole stepping down after the EL final loss. Yes he would be going out on a low in losing a final but looking at the two seasons he was in charge for we would've had two top 4 finishes including a 2nd place finish. He would've left things in a much better place than he did later that year when everything fell apart.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Probably more entertaining to watch Peppa Pig from start to finish.

I love Ole though, his managerial stint shouldn't effect his status here.
Yup. Love the guy, terrible manager for me but his love for the club and status is unaffected.

OrcaFat

Probably more entertaining to watch Peppa Pig from start to finish.

I love Ole though, his managerial stint shouldn't effect his status here.
Peppa Pig is actually entertaining though. Plus it is loveable and kind of fun but not what you’d call sophisticated. Might win the odd low-key award but no Oscars.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Peppa Pig is actually entertaining though. Plus it is loveable and kind of fun but not what you’d call sophisticated. Might win the odd low-key award but no Oscars.
Agreed. The slandering of Peppa Pig is scandalous, next they will be after Pingu.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
168 matches and it all started going downhill since siu came. Surely he noticed it.

Robbie Boy

A better course of events would've been Ole stepping down after the EL final loss. Yes he would be going out on a low in losing a final but looking at the two seasons he was in charge for we would've had two top 4 finishes including a 2nd place finish. He would've left things in a much better place than he did later that year when everything fell apart.
Spot on.

Top bloke, legendry player for us; his managerial spell is all very meh though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a shame that he wasn’t able to add Longstaff to his list of overpriced British nobodies

Greck

This isn't how it would have happened. He had a special ability to keep the wheels of going nowhere turning. He'd probably somehow draw and beat Ajax then ETH would be called another flavour of the month, no doubt in another whoop whoop thread. I never saw plot armour quite the way Ole had it. Only a more beloved legend was able to break it.

R'hllor

2012 was less of a disaster to watch than that. Best part certain bunch will try to wash his stint by painting cnut Ronaldo as main reason for his fail, which is complete bullshit. He emp the shit out of us with all things under him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Stuff like this is so cringey.

What does he think that would achieve? He’s not coaching those players anymore. Does he remember the instructions he gave for each game and which were followed?

Literally zero point to this other than sentiment. Total waste of time.