Solskjaer's legacy and his future

allen7

It’s illogical to pull Ole into the conversation for recent failures. Yes he was bad and rightly sacked months ago but Ralf had many players sent on loan and some really good backup options to use but he didn’t was his problem not Ole’s.

For example, Dalot and Matic could’ve done a decent performance but not started.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Because we're stuck with the nearly $200 million worth of shite he brought upon us?
Ole's major targets were Maguire, Rice, Haaland, Bellingham. The club instead wasted 50m on Diallo and Pellistri. Had they not signed DVB and just paid for one of these lads (Belligham should have been simple) and things are a lot different for Ole and this club.

Pintu

Every Maguire disasterclass, like the one today, is going to remind us that Olé spend 80M on him and made him captain.

Two of the worst managerial decisions in the club’s recent history.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Every single pundit and the stampedes of fans saying that "the players aren't being coached properly", suggesting that if they were everything will be alright again. The team is far worse than in 2020/2021 and 2019/2020.
Pundits never gave ole stick. Even now rangnick has received more stick from the pundits in a dozen games than ole did in 3 seasons.

And yes the players were never coached. Even ole himself said he didn't coach the players and neither did the assistant manager, which means carrick was coaching the players while learning on the job.

Idxomer

The one real legacy remaining is that he still has people defending him which is beyond hilarious.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ole's major targets were Maguire, Rice, Haaland, Bellingham. The club instead wasted 50m on Diallo and Pellistri. Had they not signed DVB and just paid for one of these lads (Belligham should have been simple) and things are a lot different for Ole and this club.
VDB has said clearly in an interview Ole pleaded him to join. Convinced him. Pellistri and Diallo are 100% ole signings.

Yes Ole had those as "major" targets because they are bang obvious most valued players of the time. Unfortunately this is not football manger and we are not galacticos. We don't have the luxury to spunk nearly $200 on targets like Maguire, Bruno and AWB only for them to turn out to be just okay or a bad fit.

Ole was a complete disaster. He didn't have a single bargain signing that he could judge on his own. Even likes of Mourinho had Liindelof and Dalot at least as shrewd signings. Oh, Ole had Igahlo on 300k p/w loan as a shrewd signing :lol:

Zen86

Who told you that ?

Everyone knew for the longest time that maguire, awb and mcfred were shite.
Everyone in our squad was supposedly shite because they had no coaching. Plenty of instances of “if Klopp or Pep had X player then it would be different ..” and “if there was a system then the players would be better..”

Anustart89

Stay away from the truth if it makes you better. But we know where problem is and it is not managers. Time for you to maybe look at players instead of managers.
Who spent £450m over six transfer windows and ended up with these players then?

Roboc7

We have been very comfortable against Manchester City, primarily winning our games at Ethiad under Ole. And the squad was strengthened prior to this season.

There are several players who are struggling a great deal with their form, and the synergy just isnt there this season. How, or if it can be repaired, I dont know, but the foundation was certainly there prior to kickoff for the 2021/22 season.

Also, please dont be so childish that you insult people who arent even responsible for who the club hires. Why lash out at people who have nothing to do with whats happening? Be an adult.
The foundations weren’t there that’s the problem, Ole was a short term manager, he made a huge mess but people fell for all the cliches and finishing second in a poor league. We were miles behind City when Ole joined, we’re miles behind them now, all Ole did was waste loads of time and money.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Everyone in our squad was supposedly shite because they had no coaching. Plenty of instances of “if Klopp or Pep had X player then it would be different ..” and “if there was a system then the players would be better..”
Klop and pep did not turn the players they inherited into world beaters. They gutted the team and brought in new players.

Even they know turd cannot be polished. Our players are shit.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Every Maguire disasterclass, like the one today, is going to remind us that Olé spend 80M on him and made him captain.

Two of the worst managerial decisions in the club’s recent history.
Yes, De Gea wearing the captains armband today would have made so much difference.

Fluctuation0161

Because this is his team and he signed shite players and left them uncoached.
Sad to say it, but this is true.

Love Ole as an ex player. But as a manager he set us back years.

Woodward allowing a temporary managerial appointment to stay for 3 years and then not having a replacement ready so signing another interim manager is also comical. The blame lies with the Glazers and their puppet, Woodward. I fear for the culture and structure in our senior management positions.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Cultural reboot? He's left us with the most spineless, non-Manchester United squad I can remember. And he's an ex player that knows what's required here! The guy is a clown of a manager.
6 of the team werent Ole signings.

Anustart89

What's the alternative understanding? Who is the transformative captain choice he should have made instead?
The implication from what I can tell is that Maguire's status as record defensive signing and club captain makes him nigh on undroppable for any manager as long as Maguire is at the club, despite poor performances, which has reportedly been questioned internally by the players. An interim manager's hardly going to come in during the middle of the season and change the captain. I do agree with the point you're making about us having no proper captain material in the squad though. If it were me, I'd give it to de Gea or Bruno and not necessarily because they have any inherent leadership qualities that are obvious even if I think Bruno does lead by example and puts a lot of effort in, but because they are likely to be mainstays in the starting XI over the next year or two.

I apologise if I came off as overly confrontational

Andrew7582

It's going to take years to fix the mess of a squad that Ole left behind. The next manager is going to have to put out fires everywhere, from defence, to midfield, to the attack.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Damn, some people still defend that fraud. Person who wasted 3 years, over 400 mil euros and had zero dignity. Man, who is so called United legend and "loves the club", rather waited for sack instead resigning when it was obvious that things are broken beyond repair.

Crashoutcassius

They're still at it though. Ole can do no wrong.

The thing is that ole will be brought up again and again because of these lot defending him blindly. It will take years to fix the mistake of ole's tenure.
is it people defending ole bumping this thread every time ralf gets embarrassed haha

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The implication from what I can tell is that Maguire's status as record defensive signing and club captain makes him nigh on undroppable for any manager as long as Maguire is at the club, despite poor performances, which has reportedly been questioned internally by the players. An interim manager's hardly going to come in during the middle of the season and change the captain. I do agree with the point you're making about us having no proper captain material in the squad though. If it were me, I'd give it to de Gea or Bruno and not necessarily because they have any inherent leadership qualities that are obvious even if I think Bruno does lead by example and puts a lot of effort in, but because they are likely to be mainstays in the starting XI over the next year or two.

I apologise if I came off as overly confrontational
We overpaid but this place has become so obsessed with blaming everything on him its ridiculous. Paying £40m for Varane (probably £300k a week) and him barely being available is just as big a waste of money.

He can easily be dropped if anyone else was pulling up trees with their performances. As it is the defence is so exposed by a lack of midfield it doesn't matter who we play there they look poor.

I don't agree on Bruno, it's not captain material for me the amount of moaning and histrionics he produces during games. His performances are just as poor as anyone else, masked by the odd goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't even blame Ole. The fact that we centred a multi-year rebuild around him is a symptom of the problem rather than the cause.

Zen86

Ah okay so the manager doesn't decide which players to sign. Got it.
There’s plenty of information about a cross-functional transfer committee in place at the club. There’s no information which states that Ole solely dictates who we sign and for how much. But yeah, I appreciate this doesn’t fit with what you tell yourself.

city-puma

People just simply have really short memories and talked so much shit about Ole. The squad Ole left is not a mess if CR7 was not added. Ralf is simply not good at all for short term fix. He probably will do a lot better for long term. But, he won’t be the one in the summer apparently.

Godfather

Nice legacy he left us with. An 80 million CB that can't control a football and seems to find himself in the wrong position in crucial moments every time. A 50 million right back that is not a footballer. A duo of CFs of a combined age of more than 70. No CM able to pass a football apart from Pogba who will leave.

Crashoutcassius

heres a thought experiment - if the squad is so terrible (oles fault) should we bring him back as he obviously did an incredible job with a squad that isn't top 4 worthy? bring him back but give him no say over transfers (as he build such a terrible squad). with better recruitment he should logically do better and might win the league or at least go one step further and win some trophies

luke511

I think It's pretty obvious that Maguire and Wan Bissaka were Solskjaer (and Phelan) signings and didn't have much to do with the scouting/recruitment department. Mourinho wanted Maguire the summer prior but scouting/recruitment reported back that he wasn't worth the asking price so we didn't sign him initially. His and Wan Bissaka's last game vs utd as opposition were both eye catching games (Maguire particularly at the end of the game looking dangerous in the air chasing an equaliser) which seemed to heavily influence Solskjaer's choice, along with Phelan's praise after being his captain for Hull City. The scouting/recruitment department signings came the summer after with Van de Beek, Amad and Pellestri, who Solskjaer froze out completely because he didn't get who he wanted (Sancho or Grealish).

Andrew7582

People just simply have really short memories and talked so much shit about Ole. The squad Ole left is not a mess if CR7 was not added. Ralf is simply not good at all for short term fix. He probably will do a lot better for long term. But, he won’t be the one in the summer apparently.
Not a mess, really?! We have a gk who is not suited to a modern system. At cb we have 80 million flop Maguire and Varane who can't stay fit, both on huge wages. More problems at full back with Shaw who is notoriously inconsistent and AWB who's another big flop. The midfield of McFred is not even top 10 prem quality, mid table clubs have better midfielders than them. We have nothing in the 9 position with Cavani leaving and Ronaldo finished. RW position also remains unfixed. But sure, it's not a mess :lol:

Foxbatt

He bought Maguire, AWB and they have failed. He bought Bruno who was very good in the first season. He bought dvb and never played him.
In the overall outlook he was nothing but a huge failure as he won nothing but spent a lot of money.

Anustart89

There’s plenty of information about a cross-functional transfer committee in place at the club. There’s no information which states that Ole solely dictates who we sign and for how much. But yeah, I appreciate this doesn’t fit with what you tell yourself.
Ole has repeatedly claimed to have the final say on who comes and goes. In that final say I'd argue that it's relevant to judge how much of the transfer budget will remain after signing player X.

We all knew what Maguire and AWB would cost before the transfers were completed, for example. So if I were the manager, with a self-proclaimed final say on comings and goings, and I wanted to overhaul the squad, I might not have gone for the most expensive centre half and the most expensive RB that we could've gone for if I wanted to sign five or six players in a transfer window.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
oh i dont love him just laughing at this thread, prob the wierdest thread on the forum. oles time to go had come. just funny how desperate the posters are in this thread. wonder will it still be going in 5 years / 3 more managers with a totally different squad of 20
Whys it weird? Do you think the club has been set up nicely for the next manager after 3 years and 400m+ spent? Legacy is far from, "well he did get us 2 top 4 finishes." bullshit argument.

Crashoutcassius

Whys it weird? Do you think the club has been set up nicely for the next manager after 3 years and 400m+ spent? Legacy is far from, "well he did get us 2 top 4 finishes." bullshit argument.
because we have a good enough squad to be beating the worst teams in the league. the only reason the bump today was so funny is because of oles incredible record away to city. this is one of ralfs first actually difficult games, up until now we have been performing poorly during an extremely easy league run, and the response each time was to come in here and say ole didn't leave ralf the players to win these games...

Zen86

Ole has repeatedly claimed to have the final say on who comes and goes. In that final say I'd argue that it's relevant to judge how much of the transfer budget will remain after signing player X.

We all knew what Maguire and AWB would cost before the transfers were completed, for example. So if I were the manager, with a self-proclaimed final say on comings and goings, and I wanted to overhaul the squad, I might not have gone for the most expensive centre half and the most expensive RB that we could've gone for if I wanted to sign five or six players in a transfer window.
Ole didn’t negotiate the cost of players and in all likelihood, wasn’t involved in budgeting either. It’s debatable how influential he was in the transfer committee at all, considering what appears to be a rather complicated setup with the likes of Woodward at the helm.