Son Heung-min

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Son at Spurs, Salah at Liverpool. Plenty of great deals that can still be made in football if you know what you want.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
I would give spurs 100m + Lingard for him.
In this market, I think Son would cost €175m+. Not saying that Spurs will sell him as Levy has said that he learned the lesson from when Bale left that a special player is not replaceable.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
So 80m then.
:lol:

Surprised Spurs had a relatively free run at him, what did he cost, 25mil? a steal in the current market. They got Moura for around the same price, again because they were really the only team interested. I guess like people have said was always the threat of losing him to military service that maybe turned some teams off.

Not better than Hazard, Mo Salah for me, on par? A touch below? Maybe? But no denying he is an absolutely fantastic player. Pace, power and a blistering shot on him, with either foot.

Jibbs

:lol:

Surprised Spurs had a relatively free run at him, what did he cost, 25mil? a steal in the current market. They got Moura for around the same price, again because they were really the only team interested. I guess like people have said was always the threat of losing him to military service that maybe turned some teams off.

Not better than Hazard, Mo Salah for me, on par? A touch below? Maybe? But no denying he is an absolutely fantastic player. Pace, power and a blistering shot on him, with either foot.
Just think that out of all spurs players... he will be tempted to play for united, he idolizes Ronaldo, copies his style all the time, he will fancy a chance to wear our iconic No.7 jersey. We should test his resolve with an offer.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Just think that out of all spurs players... he will be tempted to play for united, he idolizes Ronaldo, copies his style all the time, he will fancy a chance to wear our iconic No.7 jersey. We should test his resolve with an offer.
He recently signed on a long contract, he is one of those players on board for 'the project' at Spurs.

meamth

He is easily the best asian player ever existed.

He is at that elite tier winger level, examples: Robben, Ribery, Bale.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's clearly got another level in him, and he merits discussion as a legitimate target for the so-called giants on merit as his trajectory warrants it.

Big game player, too. Not many better than him out there.

NoPace

That’s one game, if your post was just about this game I agree but usually we would have Sissoko, Dier and Winks with Wanyama coming back, fingers crossed.

Pich is learning, we we tend to do pretty well giving up possession and hitting fast instead of Pochs usual possession football.
That's just an Everton or Leicester level midfield with one extra player for depth.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Make Park Ji Sung our special scout to persuade him into a ManUtd player.

Member 115509

Must be a managers dream, great player, great attitude, works his socks off for the team. Can play equally well in a number of roles, very often steps up when Kane is out.
Just seems to get better and better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s the perfect modern attacker.

I’d be amazed if Madrid/Bayern/Barca weren’t sniffing around him this summer.

He was always good at Leverkusen but he’s stepped up massively since being at Tottenham. People used it as a bit of a joke but he’s looking more and more like “Sonaldo”

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He’s the perfect modern attacker.

I’d be amazed if Madrid/Bayern/Barca weren’t sniffing around him this summer.

He was always good at Leverkusen but he’s stepped up massively since being at Tottenham. People used it as a bit of a joke but he’s looking more and more like “Sonaldo”
hmmm, better players in his position for the giants to chase. Sterling, Mo Salah, Hazard

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
hmmm, better players in his position for the giants to chase. Sterling, Mo Salah, Hazard
If we sold Mo for £200+ million and bought Son for half that I would be no more or less disappointed. Klopp will make him into an even better player like he did with Mo. Plus we'll have £100m more to spend. :D

Cloud7

Not to beat a dead horse or anything but how do other clubs within our own league manage to snap these players up while we so often get caught lagging behind. Spurs and Liverpool seem to be especially good at snapping up players when they’re on the cusp of greatness, and end up getting the best out of them, rather than us who seem to want to wait for a player to become established before trying for them, which always leads to the inevitable questions of ‘have their best days already gone, are they motivated to win here or just comfortable picking up a paycheck’ etc etc. The only players of this sort that we’ve seemed to pick up in recent years are Martial, Lindelof and Shaw.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If we sold Mo for £200+ million and bought Son for half that I would be no more or less disappointed. Klopp will make him into an even better player like he did with Mo. Plus we'll have £100m more to spend. :D
The response to a Liverpool bid for Son would be Levy laughing down the phone for about an hour straight.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Does he look good when playing with Kane? I was under the impression he doesn't look all that special when Kane's in the team and Son can't be the main man.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but how do other clubs within our own league manage to snap these players up while we so often get caught lagging behind. Spurs and Liverpool seem to be especially good at snapping up players when they’re on the cusp of greatness, and end up getting the best out of them, rather than us who seem to want to wait for a player to become established before trying for them, which always leads to the inevitable questions of ‘have their best days already gone, are they motivated to win here or just comfortable picking up a paycheck’ etc etc. The only players of this sort that we’ve seemed to pick up in recent years are Martial, Lindelof and Shaw.
It's a combination of things:
* poor quality scouting and player recruitment system
* you keep changing managers (meaning that incoming players don't have as much time to settle and adapt to each manager)
* having a wages structure that is not as bonus-related as that of some others clubs (Spurs in particular), meaning less incentive to perform well
* paying wages that are too high too quickly, again meaning less incentive to perform well.
* the club being stuck in the 'galactico' mindset wherein (as you say) preference is given to signing established, big-name players.

Macern

Pee pee pants
It's a combination of things:
* poor quality scouting and player recruitment system
* you keep changing managers (meaning that incoming players don't have as much time to settle and adapt to each manager)
* having a wages structure that is not as bonus-related as that of some others clubs (Spurs in particular), meaning less incentive to perform well
* paying wages that are too high too quickly, again meaning less incentive to perform well.
* the club being stuck in the 'galactico' mindset wherein (as you say) preference is given to signing established, big-name players.
And how do you know that? Source?

Also I don’t agree regarding paying too high wages too quickly. I get your point that players feel like they’ve achieved something when they’re on high wages, but on the other hand they will feel more pressure from both themselves and their surroundings to justify the wages, and they are also incentivized to take more responsibility. I think it varies from player to player whether they’re best suited to a structure where they are getting high wages early or one where they’ll have to wait.

Generally speaking, having a wage structure that is very bonus-related might not necessarily be a good idea either. It can become very expensive if the players perform well.

Example: A player would rather have 100k p/w guaranteed than say 80k and 20k if they perform well. Therefore, in a structure that is very bonus-related the bonus would have to be increased to compensate for the risk that the players face of not receiving the bonus.
Meaning that to make the player indifferent between 100k and 80k + bonus then the bonus would have to be say 50k. So if the player performs well it’ll cost the club 130k p/w instead of 100k.

Also, incentivizing players through money is proven to be less effective than motivating them in other ways, for instance from their desire within. If I was a CEO at a football club I’m not sure I’d want my players going out on the pitch thinking «if I score one goal I’ll get that extra 50k that I really want». I’d prefer if they didn’t think about money at all when entering the pitch.

Therefore I think you’re being quite ignorant with your arguments.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Also I don’t agree regarding paying too high wages too quickly. I get your point that players feel like they’ve achieved something when they’re on high wages, but on the other hand they will feel more pressure from both themselves and their surroundings to justify the wages, and they are also incentivized to take more responsibility. I think it varies from player to player whether they’re best suited to a structure where they are getting high wages early or one where they’ll have to wait.

Generally speaking, having a wage structure that is very bonus-related might not necessarily be a good idea either. It can become very expensive if the players perform well.

Example: A player would rather have 100k p/w guaranteed than say 80k and 20k if they perform well. Therefore, in a structure that is very bonus-related the bonus would have to be increased to compensate for the risk that the players face of not receiving the bonus.
Meaning that to make the player indifferent between 100k and 80k + bonus then the bonus would have to be say 50k. So if the player performs well it’ll cost the club 130k p/w instead of 100k.

Also, incentivizing players through money is proven to be less effective than motivating them in other ways, for instance from their desire within. If I was a CEO at a football club I’m not sure I’d want my players going out on the pitch thinking «if I score one goal I’ll get that extra 50k that I really want». I’d prefer if they didn’t think about money at all when entering the pitch.

You sure about that?

Macern

Pee pee pants
You sure about that?
Thought it was obvious that I was talking about possible effects and not universal effects that applies to everyone. I even stated in the next sentence that it varies from player to player which structure that would work best for them.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

The source is Daniel Levy: https://www.90min.com/posts/5989754...st-generous-of-any-club-in-the-premier-league

You say that "incentivizing players through money is proven (my emphasis) to be less effective than motivating them in other ways" - proven how?

If bonuses are related to performance - and if the bonus element is large compared to that at other clubs - it's pretty likely to provide a bigger incentive to perform well compared to that at other clubs.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The source is Daniel Levy: https://www.90min.com/posts/5989754...st-generous-of-any-club-in-the-premier-league

You say that "incentivizing players through money is proven (my emphasis) to be less effective than motivating them in other ways" - proven how?

If bonuses are related to performance - and if the bonus element is large compared to that at other clubs - it's pretty likely to provide a bigger incentive to perform well compared to that at other clubs.
There is a ton of research on things like intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation in sports and the psychology of peak performance (Csikszentmihalyi on Flow).

Just a basic primer

"According to Hardy, Jones and Gould (1993) elite athletes must have high levels of intrinsic motivation in order to sustain effort through dips in form and confidence. A well-known football (soccer) manager (Martin O’Neill) said recently that the best players to work with were the ones that were unconcerned about how much they earn. Rio Ferdinand has recently tweeted that he would still be a footballer even if he was on the average wage. Another example is Damien Duff – who apparently when he first signed as a pro – was completely unaware of how much he was being paid and had to ask a family member to look after his finances as he did not know what to with his money. Or on a more extreme level, there was Roy Keane expressing how disappointed he was with the United players celebrating winning the treble – three of the biggest prizes in domestic football – the FA Cup, the English Premier League and the Champions’ League. You would think that this would be a reason for reasonable celebration at least, but not Keano. He was left asking, “what about next year? And the year after?”"
https://believeperform.com/education/extrinsic-vs-intrinsic-motivation/

Macern

Pee pee pants

I’m can’t be bothered to look it up in my HRM text book, but if you look at Maslow’s expectancy theory and intrinsic/extrinsic motivation theory you’d realize that someone driven by their own deeply rooted desires will have a stronger and more durable motivation to perform well than someone driven by the bonus on their contract. This explains it quite well.

Regarding your last paragraph, I spent the previous post trying to explain to you why that isn’t the case, but you’re just repeating yourself and you’ve got nothing to back it up with.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nobody is buying Salah for 200m

starman

Probably the most underrated attacker in the world, imo. Never really gets mentioned among the very best but offers so much. Would love him at United in a front 3 with Rashford and Martial
Always been a fan of his, hes amoung, if not my top attacking target this summer