Sorry, but why is Rashford rated here? (Read the context)

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Rash got 34 this season while not being himself for some reason and Sancho is surely good enough to get like 15 g plus 15a?

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
The thread itself I hate because of the title, it's way too aggressive and it's very obvious why Rashford is rated as an excellent player. He goes through some injury problems and people shit on him which annoys me. Can just be moved to the normal rashford thread.

In terms of criteria to judge players, it really depends on position. If we have a 4-2-3-1 next season with Cavani central, Rashford and Sancho on the wings and Bruno as a 10, then the main goalscorers are Rashford and Cavani (or Greenwood). They're the ones who the chances will fall to. Bruno can easily get 10-15 non-penalty goals in all competitions, Sancho the same, but it's not as big of a deal as long as they provide the rest of what they do. I don't even care much about what any of the players behind them pop up with in terms of goals, they shouldn't really have goal targets, but of course you still expect everyone to pitch in with a few over the season. Sancho and Bruno will rack up the assists, or even if they don't, they'll provide loads of benefit to the build up play and just being a general threat. It's not like Giggs was never much of a goalscorer, yet he was a brilliant fixture on the left for the best part of 2 decades.

Each player and their role has multiple ways to be worthy of a spot... If Rashford comes back and plays like how he finished the season, then of course he won't stay in the starting 11 endlessly. But if he plays like he did in the first half of the season, or in 19/20, then he'll be seen as a top class player who can put in world class performances and can be relied on in big games. Thankfully, now we'll finally have an even threat on both flanks and excellent depth to be able to rest/rotate players if they have knocks or lose form. So once Rashford comes back from his surgery this summer and gets fit, I have no doubt that he'll have a great season and this thread will be long forgotten.
I don’t think we disagree on the statistics part. Standards at top clubs are different then standards at mid table or relegation clubs. Likewise, criteria for a defender is different then a CAM or a striker. A player is judged based on his position first and foremost.

Giggs has never scored more then 10+ goals in the PL in 24 seasons, however he became one of the greatest players of his generation because of his longevity (with many groundbreaking records, such as the Premier League record of 162 assists. Those 162 assists and deciding passes/goals at the highest levels of competition (champions league included) is what made him as you said ‘briliant’

This team can not only relay on Fernandes and Cavani. The wingers have the responsibility to float into wide areas, to pass players and to have a delivery/end product. Those type of consistent contributions would be a justification for not having ‘world class’ stats, but if that is lacking then there is not much you can judge them on. Even Ole said through the seasons that he is waiting for Mason, Martial and Rashford to ‘click’ and thankfully atleast Mason had a great run during the last spell of the season.

To conclude this post, as stated before the title could be perceived as confrontational, but the intent behind it is not to discuss the ‘performances’ per se, but a more deeper laying question wether fans are expecting to much from a player who may already reached his ceiling.

As they say, forget Simon Cowell, time is the most ruthless and honest judge there is and time will judge every player (and human being for that matter).

thanks for the lengthy posts I do enjoy them!

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Say what you will about his game, but that statement he made about missing the pen and the hatred is fantastic. Seems like a great dude.

And in the end, missing penalties happens to anyone, just ask Roberto Baggio or Van Basten.

Or John Terry, but I put him seperate because he's a prick.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
The mods of this website are clowns to allow a thread with that title in this forum.
You all are clowns to keep the thread going.
One of the mods actually said that Rashford may have reached his peak already, so I am not sure why you refer to them as ‘clowns’. Ad hominems arent neccesary in this thread. People can have different opinions and the most effective way of interaction is allowing each other’s perspective to be discussed with civil manners.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I really just think now isn't the time. Rashford himself acknowledges that he's been off his own standards this season. For any number of reasons, that can happen.

It's like people have forgotten how good he was, just a season ago. He has talent, athleticism and is a United lad. We should all absolutely love the kid.

Will he rebound and come back stronger? I have no idea. Neither do you.

But we're United fans. We should back him the way we've always backed our players through adversity, regardless of what he's doing on the pitch. And perhaps no United player has deserved our support and respect more than Marcus.

Giggsy13

I hope Rashford and Sancho internalize all the hate directed at them to take it out on the league next season. Time to shut up the rash doubters and Grealish fan boys in our supporter base.

United in sin

Like always, the truth is in the middle. Rashford is a good player with potential to be great. However, he's also overrated here since he moved to the first team. I don't know why he has not developed as we all hope he would have - but he needs to make that step up soon, like Luke Shaw did
I'm not saying he's world class but you do realize he was second highest in goal contributions for united last season right? 21 goals and 9 assists, with 6 goals in the champions league (joint third highest scorer). This stupid narrative that he doesn't contribute enough needs to stop. It's fueling hatred beyond all things football

28gunsalute

The state of you.
No the state of you. Get real Rashford is a busted flush, finished, finito, over and done. Got a lucky break from Van Gaal scored a few nice goals then gradually got worse. He was wasting his time at the euros as southgate hardly used him so he comes back to us still injured and with confidence on the floor.
I honestly don't see what all the love fest is here for the guy, hes really not that good, seriously, open your eyes and remember the last part of the season when to be blunt he was dreadful. Looking bleak for 2021/22, maybe another fight for top 4 place.

28gunsalute

I'm quite worried about Rashford. His end to the season was absolutely diabolical in terms of performance level. I was rather hoping he'd have a decent tournament, or at least come off the bench and make some contributions.

To hardly get a kick and then come on only to miss a penalty continues a bad trend. Hopefully he can have a break, we can look at his shoulder and decide what is necessary and get him back on track but I don't think it's going to be a quick start to the season.
Mate if you havent already you will be getting a warning for posts like this, I've been told off for voicing my opinion on Rashers the mods dont like the truth

NYAS

It's the Foreign fans that give our club a bad name. Glory hunting muppets the vast majority of you. 90% of which would support Man City had you been born in the late 2000's. Anyone having a go at Rashford today is no United fan.
:lol: You absolute clown. Can’t believe someone actually promoted this joker.

Giggsy13

No the state of you. Get real Rashford is a busted flush, finished, finito, over and done. Got a lucky break from Van Gaal scored a few nice goals then gradually got worse. He was wasting his time at the euros as southgate hardly used him so he comes back to us still injured and with confidence on the floor.
I honestly don't see what all the love fest is here for the guy, hes really not that good, seriously, open your eyes and remember the last part of the season when to be blunt he was dreadful. Looking bleak for 2021/22, maybe another fight for top 4 place.
[/QUOT
I haven’t seen a post so full of absolute shite in quite some time here. 21 goals and 15 assists while playing the majority of the season through injury and played into the ground by Ole due to lack of real options behind him. Supporters like you are the worst. Make sure you’re around when Rashford and Sancho take all the vile hate directed at them out on the league.

Womp

idiot
You could argue the whole squad looked terrible towards the end of the season. You keep referencing the Europa League final but the only person who performed well in that game was probably Mctominay. Also, you claim Marcus is finished but he got 36 goals and assists in a season where he was nursing an injury. You're talking bollocks

El Jefe

I wonder how many on here defending Rashford for his miss were camped in the Mbappe and Morata threads calling them overrated or bottlers for missing their pens. The absolute stupidity of the gleeful Mbappe threads using his misfortune to elevate Rashford were embarassing. I bet those same posters are in here now making all the excuses they can for Rashford's non existent tournament.

In saying that, he can't be really be blamed for yesterday but hopefully these Euros will be a wake up call for him because he nowhere near as good as he or Ole think he is.

This is such a mental post. The guy has been playing injured for pretty much this whole year and still got to 21 goals and 15 assists while taking responsibility for pretty much all of our attacking output. About 1000 people have pointed out that he was injured this last month, but somehow you a) have failed to read that and b) can't remember all the amazing games he has had in a United shirt. I think people don't so much want you banned for having an opinion - they want you banned because you seem to have started watching football about a month ago and yet you're talking like you know things, and that is really annoying.

El Jefe

If someone doesn't rate Marcus Rashford, they are either racist or biased or just plain dumb. Have a look at teams he's scored against:

Arsenal - 2 (brace on PL debut)
City - 4 (1 in his rookie season, 1 in the 2-1 loss under Mou, 1 in the 2-1 win at Etihad in 19/20, another goal vs them in LC semis
Pool - 5 (brace vs Pool, 1 in FA cup last season, off DJ's cross in the 1-1 draw at OT, 1 in 4-2 loss)
PSG - 3 (stoppage time pen to knock them out, 2 vs PSG in CL last season)
Chelsea -5 (1 in that Herrera vs Hazard game, brace vs Chelsea in the 4-0 win, brace vs them again in LC )
Spurs - 3 (1 in Ole's interim period, brace vs Spurs in Mou's 3rd game there) ,
RBL- 3 (hat trick)

That's 25 goals against really good opposition and he's just 23! And I haven't even included the assists he's had. Also, remember that he isn't anymore the penalty taker, and hasn't started as the #9 that often.

The guy is insanely talented, and a bad game here or there should mean absolutely nothing. He has 88 goals for us. At this stage Rooney (arguably the greatest wonderkid England have produced) had 114, and he had played 40 more matches and was playing mostly as a striker and in an all conquering Utd side)

He has blistering pace and more often than not an end product to go along with the one of the finest dribbling ability in the league. He can literally shoot from anywhere - 6 yards or 30 yards - it doesn't make a difference to him.

And lastly, he is an asset to the society and every single person Utd fan should be proud that he plays for us
Might be the most ridiculous comment I've read on here all year and that's saying something. For anyone wondering why the Rashford cult thread exist look no further than this.

Withnail

Yes yes he's done at 23 because... reasons? :lol:

big rons sovereign

This is such a mental post. The guy has been playing injured for pretty much this whole year and still got to 21 goals and 15 assists while taking responsibility for pretty much all of our attacking output. About 1000 people have pointed out that he was injured this last month, but somehow you a) have failed to read that and b) can't remember all the amazing games he has had in a United shirt. I think people don't so much want you banned for having an opinion - they want you banned because you seem to have started watching football about a month ago and yet you're talking like you know things, and that is really annoying.
Why bother. It stinks of a wum. Nobody can actually believe that shit.

Eternitiy

Well since only Fernandes has contributed more goals and assists than Rashford we'll be looking for a lot of new players if there's a minimum requirement.
Take away the penalties Bruno scored and Rashford had more goal+assist contributions. I'd also argue Rashford put in better performances against better opposition. Bruno invariably wilted when it mattered.

Womp

idiot
Yes yes he's done at 23 because... reasons? :lol:
It's ridiculous imo. I think people just have unrealistic expectations. Was he brilliant in every game this season? Feck no. Did he have very good output despite being run into the ground in a gruelling season playing through injury? Yes. What players apart from maybe Messi are consistently brilliant?

Is he ever going to be Ronaldo or Rooney? Probably not, but he's already a very good player who will only get better, you'd think he's 30 the way some people go on about him, he's only 23 ffs. He's posted numbers consistently for a few years that are amongst the better players in his position.

Not to add, he's an absolutely brilliant human being - proud he's a Manchester United player.

AndrewMac

He's caught in that cross roads being he isn't a winger, and not a great striker yet.

kthanksbye

Because he's a bloody good player with a promising future ahead of him, he's returning Rooney like numbers who we'd argue to be in the same league as Ronaldo and Messi.
Had Rash been a part of a team that was winning things, we'd be having him tattoed on our chest with the same goal and assist return.
What an embarrassment this post.

Tarrou

Rashford is going to make this thread look silly.

Once he's back to full fitness he'll be absolutely fine.

He is talented, with a strong work ethic and mentality. It would help if we stopped overplaying him, too.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
There were players that ran normally and still missed. I have never rated him highly as a player in general and believe he is overrated but there was nothing wrong with his run up. He was the only player that completely fooled the keeper , it seems like he miskicked the ball and didn't get the right accuracy which is a separate thing and quite unusual because shooting dead balls is usually a strength of his
One of the mods actually said that Rashford may have reached his peak already, so I am not sure why you refer to them as ‘clowns’. Ad hominems arent neccesary in this thread. People can have different opinions and the most effective way of interaction is allowing each other’s perspective to be discussed with civil manners.
Ad Hominem when it is required. Questioning why Rashford is rated on a Man Utd forum is a gaslight move in itself. You can question his ability, performances maybe, but the post title is directed at forum members, hence, clown.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I've been thinking about Rashford for a while, and I came to the conclusion his mentality isn't strong enough for his skills and especially expectations. He's been around for a while, people take his good numbers as a given and I think he crumbles under this long-term, constant pressure. I have no idea how to tackle that, but for sure it'd be great if we could take some pressure off Rashford (hopefully possible now with Sancho).
I am confident he'll be very good player, he had a good season (stats wise) and poor season (performance wise), but the problem is in his head (confidence, decision making etc). I am not sure his future is in wide areas, and I'd imagine it would benefit to play him in one position rather than constantly shifting left right center.

manunited1919

Say what you will about his game, but that statement he made about missing the pen and the hatred is fantastic. Seems like a great dude.

And in the end, missing penalties happens to anyone, just ask Roberto Baggio or Van Basten.

Or John Terry, but I put him seperate because he's a prick.
Didn’t Cristiano Ronaldo also miss a penalty in the same shootout with John Terry?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This forum has gone to shit.
That's because the moderating has gotten amazingly lax. Posters are continuously allowed to post shite. It's gotten just like twitter, the abuse given to our players and ex-players is just unbelievable here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His overall numbers in last two season are good in all competition.

And if he can become a wc player, I don't know. I will be happy if he reaches 30 goals in all comps in the next few years. That plus a bunch of assists will make him good enough where wa aspire to be.
I'd be very happy with that, but want him to be involved off the ball more (both defensively and in the build-up play).

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How is it connected to my criteria of my ideal United team and what I expect from a winger in this system where the striker may not bethe main goalgetter?
Salah is the main goal getter for Pool. How many times has he gotten 40 g/a in a season?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might be the most ridiculous comment I've read on here all year and that's saying something. For anyone wondering why the Rashford cult thread exist look no further than this.
Sure. Look at his numbers and then compare him against any top player in the world. Quite certain that Rashford wouldn't look out of place

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That's because the moderating has gotten amazingly lax. Posters are continuously allowed to post shite. It's gotten just like twitter, the abuse given to our players and ex-players is just unbelievable here.
I don’t like that so many newbies come in and derail threads like that plonker on this page saying rashford is finished. With newbies they could be anyone in the WUM.

stw2022

He doesn’t play on the wing he plays as a wide forward who very often due to positional rotation in a match will find himself playing through the middle here and there.

He isn’t a winger. He doesn’t aim for the byline nor does he see supply as his primary function. He predominantly cuts inside on the outside of a penalty area. He’s a forward who is primarily asked to play in a non-central position. Calling him a “winger” is ridiculous

Last edited:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Aren’t you (or were you) a mod yourself?

I think the newbie system needs to be revisited as a large portion of the awful comments and toxicity seems to stem from them.

The problem is that it can be tricky to moderate some of this. For example, do we want to have a forum where people cannot express an opinion (such as Rashford being shit) as ridiculous as that opinion might be? I don’t agree with it, but the thing that really bothers me is the lack of quality in some of the posts with people unable or unwilling to have a constructive debate when their opinions differ.

A lot of the ‘debate’ that happens on here lately is more akin to petulant teenagers arguing in school.

podurban2

I don’t like that so many newbies come in and derail threads like that plonker on this page saying rashford is finished. With newbies they could be anyone in the WUM.
The forum needs a break from the newbie system. Honestly, most of the vilest posts are from newbies that then leads to other poster being upset about the thread.

dal

He’s great but we need Grealish aswell.

Grealish, Sancho, Cavani, Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno.

Martial, Pogba, Lingard out.

If only it was this easy.

Karlos PFC

Yeah sure, the newbies are the main problem of the forum.

A full member in a previous post suggested that if someone doesn't rate Rashford is racist or others claim if we don't rate Ole we aren't truly United supporters. Pathetic posts, pathetic posters (not newbies mind you)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Aren’t you (or were you) a mod yourself?

I think the newbie system needs to be revisited as a large portion of the awful comments and toxicity seems to stem from them.

The problem is that it can be tricky to moderate some of this. For example, do we want to have a forum where people cannot express an opinion (such as Rashford being shit) as ridiculous as that opinion might be? I don’t agree with it, but the thing that really bothers me is the lack of quality in some of the posts with people unable or unwilling to have a constructive debate when their opinions differ.

A lot of the ‘debate’ that happens on here lately is more akin to petulant teenagers arguing in school.
Was.
It's unfair to blame the newbies for all the garbage stuff posted here, some of the stuff posted by the main forum posters isn't any better but yeah most of it does stem from the newbies. I don't particularly don't mind the criticism but some of it is just abuse which shouldn't be allowed. I mean some posts here called him a finished player at 23. There's no way you can argue with that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I haven’t seen a post so full of absolute shite in quite some time here. 21 goals and 15 assists while playing the majority of the season through injury and played into the ground by Ole due to lack of real options behind him. Supporters like you are the worst. Make sure you’re around when Rashford and Sancho take all the vile hate directed at them out on the league.
:lol: