Souness on Sky

Mike Smalling

I want a full Jordan Peterson style response video from Graeme if they try to make him apologize.

"Up yours woke moralists..."

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hasn't it become PC to specify “men” when talking about football now, in an attempt to give the women's game parity, e.g. “Men's World Player of the Year“ etc?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hasn't it become PC to specify “men” when talking about football now, in an attempt to give the women's game parity, e.g. “Men's World Player of the Year“ etc?
I’d actually rather they did this, as it is they don’t differentiate and it can be confusing. The amount of times I’ve heard over the radio “...and Manchester United have beaten Chelsea 3-0....in the women’s super league.” Just lead with the gender and save the aggro.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There is a reason that suicide rates amongst men are the highest ever.

We can't have anything tbh.

LARulz

Oh no he said MEN!!
Yeah I agree it's a bit of an overreaction but equally can see why it's an odd thing considering the Woman's Euro win and the idea that we are trying to get everyone to play football/not just for boy's

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's a boomer but I'm not gonna lie, last days match was quite the fun watch.

Martial

Some posters in this thread so personally offended by this thread being made. :lol:

fergosaurus

Professional mens football is very much a man's game, I would love to hear the argument to say it isn't.
To me it just seemed insensitive and inappropriate to repeatedly bring up gender when he could've said he liked the intensity, commitment, and aggressiveness of the match, or something along those lines.

Karen Carney looked uncomfortable during the broadcast and the presenter felt the need to address it. Some female players and pundits have since spoken out, so his comments were obviously upsetting.

I'll reiterate, I'm not accusing Souness of being misogynistic, I just think his comments were insensitive and he should have chosen them better.

fergosaurus

Yeah if he had just come out with it it would have been less cringey but you're right he had already made a comment that it was a man's game. Following that the presenter pointedly referred to the women's game by saying something like it's not only a man's game and mentioned that Karen had been quite fond of a tackle herself.

Souness then doubled down with that comment in his closing statement so he definitely was not reading the room.
Not at all.

The fact that the likes of Piers Morgan have jumped on this is also telling.

indianabones

Supports
West Brom
Without doubt we need to hear more from Keane and Souness and less from Micah and Redknapp.

padzilla

Hipster
Souness likes watching "men at it, blow for blow". Snigger... I just think in fairness he isn't wrong in what he means but he was somewhat two-footed in his delivery - not unlike for most of his playing career.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Was he a football player?
I thought he could only hack other players.

Wilt

Nothing wrong with what he said, its a well known phrase and apt regarding Conte v Tuchel. Though, Carney might as well been sitting in the middle of the pitch for the amount of acknowledgment he gave her.

I do sympathise, tbh I was more interested in what Souness had to say.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I' willing to accept it was a throwaway comment without any malicious intent but he should be more sensitive to Sky's bottom line in the future. You don't need them losing advertising revenue from such a silly comment. Thankfully the PR team stepped in quickly to save the day.

Red Star One

I' willing to accept it was a throwaway comment without any malicious intent but he should be more sensitive to Sky's bottom line in the future. You don't need them losing advertising revenue from such a silly comment. Thankfully the PR team stepped in quickly to save the day.
I’d more worried about the message it sends to young girls being constantly told they’re as encouraged and welcome to play football as men rather than Sky advertising revenue, but I understand you speak from their position as a business entity.

On a serious note though since I have little idea - does inclusion of women in TV studios and so increase the viewership?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I personally don't see a problem, when analysing a men's football match involving 40 male players in total on the pitch & subs bench, to call it a 'man's game', just as I don't see a problem when analysing a women's football match involving only women to call it a 'woman's game'.

Of course sexism has unfortunately been rife in society in general and in football (not least with the disgraceful and lengthy FA ban), and there are times (1 occasion is 1 too many) when a spade needs to be called a spade and sexism needs to be called out and addressed. But 'outrage' following harmless instances such as this doesn't help at all, in fact quite the opposite.

Longshanks

To me it just seemed insensitive and inappropriate to repeatedly bring up gender when he could've said he liked the intensity, commitment, and aggressiveness of the match, or something along those lines.

Karen Carney looked uncomfortable during the broadcast and the presenter felt the need to address it. Some female players and pundits have since spoken out, so his comments were obviously upsetting.

I'll reiterate, I'm not accusing Souness of being misogynistic, I just think his comments were insensitive and he should have chosen them better.
So because there is a former womens football player in the studio we can't mention the fact that mens football is played by men?

Everyone is very much aware that there is a professional womens game aswell, but Karen carney wasn't there to talk about the professional womens game she was there watching and analysing a top level professional mens game, played by men.

If you watch the womens game they quite happily use terms like 'the girls' 'the ladies' 'the women' without any need to be reminded that men also play football, so why is it different when watching the mens game?

cyberman

So because there is a former womens football player in the studio we can't mention the fact that mens football is played by men?

Everyone is very much aware that there is a professional womens game aswell, but Karen carney wasn't there to talk about the professional womens game she was there watching and analysing a top level professional mens game, played by men.

If you watch the womens game they quite happily use terms like 'the girls' 'the ladies' 'the women' without any need to be reminded that men also play football, so why is it different when watching the mens game?
Football isn’t a man’s game. It has a version played by men but it’s not a man’s game

Dan_F

Everyone enjoys confrontation and a bit of spice in the game. Obviously the way he worded it was pretty unfortunate, especially given who was sitting next to him, but it’s just poor choice of phrase, nothing more.

fergosaurus

Obviously nothing wrong with that, but you'll never hear women saying "It's a woman's game". It was an inappropriate thing to say which caused a reaction from not only the presenter but the two other pundits.

cyberman

Mens football is very much a man's game in as much as womens football is very much a womans game.
No, football is the game. Men and women are two different versions of it.
If he said that’s what we like In the mens game then fair enough but football isn’t a man’s game as he claimed.
There’s a slight difference but the difference is there.
It’s like claiming underage games is the kids game. That sounds almost as ridiculous and nonsensical. It’s the same fecking sport.

SteveCoppellFan

The first person that creates a virtual pitchfork to use on online forums would be a very rich man ..... or women

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Obviously nothing wrong with that, but you'll never hear women saying "It's a woman's game". It was an inappropriate thing to say which caused a reaction from not only the presenter but the two other pundits.
You'd never hear it because it's not a common descriptor. Describing something as a 'man's [something]' is far more common (rightly or wrongly).

youmeletsfly

You'd never hear it because it's not a common descriptor. Describing something as a 'man's [something]' is far more common (rightly or wrongly).

Most language is built around a shared cultural understanding so we tend to end up with phrases like it. If it weren't, language would be isolated and less useful.
Added to this, the expression is often used to focus on the physical side of the game, not specifically to undermine the women's game and say it's a sport that should be played only by men.

cyberman

Added to this, the expression is often used to focus on the physical side of the game, not specifically to undermine the women's game and say it's a sport that should be played only by men.
Or it’s a mind set that needs to change? Remember he didn’t say it’s part of the man’s game or such, he literally said football is a man’s game. It’s there in black and white.
It’s ok to call this out, learn from it and move on.