Souness on Sky

Stadjer

Wonder when Souness will manage to brainwash the first Manchester United supporter into thinking that Casemiro isnt a great player... He did it with Pogba so why wouldnt he be able to do it again?

Does Casemiro dance? If he does, it will help certainly speed up the process of convincing people that Casemiro is shit.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Wonder when Souness will manage to brainwash the first Manchester United supporter into thinking that Casemiro isnt a great player... He did it with Pogba so why wouldnt he be able to do it again?
I mean....to be fair....Pogba did that, by being shit.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
For once, Souness is right.
Depends what you're referring to. If it's the fact that Casemiro isn't a great player, then no - he is the best, or at least top 3, DMs currently (and nothing that happens during his career at Utd changes that). If it's about the fact he needs better players around him, then yes obviously. Most great players have always played with other great players around them, no one is a one-man team.

IrishRedDevil

Turnip with his blinkers on probably thinks Milner and Henderson are good footballers. No more needs to be said.

tomaldinho1

Does Casemiro dance? If he does, it will help certainly speed up the process of convincing people that Casemiro is shit.
Pogba and Sounness must have been working together on that one then.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Depends what you're referring to. If it's the fact that Casemiro isn't a great player, then no - he is the best, or at least top 3, DMs currently (and nothing that happens during his career at Utd changes that). If it's about the fact he needs better players around him, then yes obviously. Most great players have always played with other great players around them, no one is a one-man team.
Casemiro has always needed actual quality midfielders to carry the midfield in the possession phase. You can get away with that in a star studded team. Here, he's going to be a liability. This isn't like a Mauro Silva who could still influence games without the best partner because, as well as being a monster, he was good on the ball.

He's a fine dm for what Madrid needed in correlation to their squad. For us, he's not right because we don't have the players to compensate for his poor possession play.

For what? That he’s lucky to be a lynchpin in Madrid or for not doing a job you don’t ask Casemiro to do anyway?
I'm not saying he's lucky or that he didn't do his job brilliantly. It's more that his job there will be different to what he'll need to do here due to the drop in our quality to theirs, and he's not good enough to offer what we need in possession. We don't have the luxury of countless press resistant players that he can quickly pass the ball to in order to get us out of a pickle. He's another lightweight player added to our sea of napkins floating in the wind.

cyberman

Casemiro has always needed actual quality midfielders to carry the midfield in the possession phase. You can get away with that in a star studded team. Here, he's going to be a liability. This isn't like a Mauro Silva who could still influence games without the best partner because, as well as being a monster, he was good on the ball.

He's a fine dm for what Madrid needed in correlation to their squad. For us, he's not right because we don't have the players to compensate for his poor possession play.

I'm not saying he's lucky or that he didn't do his job brilliantly. It's more that his job there will be different to what he'll need to do here due to the drop in our quality to theirs, and he's not good enough to offer what we need in possession. We don't have the luxury of countless press resistant players that he can quickly pass the ball to in order to get us out of a pickle. He's another lightweight player added to our sea of napkins floating in the wind.
If he can quickly get the pass away then isn’t he press resistant? Wouldn’t his partnership with Fred expose this if any of what you are saying is true?

Yagami

Good post resistant
If he can quickly get the pass away then isn’t he press resistant? Wouldn’t his partnership with Fred expose this if any of what you are saying is true?
Because he passes to them in difficult positions as he wants to get rid of the ball asap as he knows himself that, once pressed, he'll lose it, , and they get away with it due to his teammates press resistance. Their ability to carry and shield the ball.

He passes the ball to our players in the same positions and we lose the ball because we have no one who can keep it under pressure.

Are you talking about Brazil? Well, there was a noticeable drop in quality with Arthur out. Arthur carried the midfield in their copa win. Like with Modric for Madrid, Arthur was an easy out ball under pressure for him.

cyberman

Because he passes to them in difficult positions as he wants to get rid of the ball asap as he knows himself that, once pressed, he'll lose it, , and they get away with it due to his teammates press resistance. Their ability to carry and shield the ball.

He passes the ball to our players in the same positions and we lose the ball because we have no one who can keep it under pressure.

Are you talking about Brazil? Well, there was a noticeable drop in quality with Arthur out. Arthur carried the midfield in their copa win. Like with Modric for Madrid, Arthur was an easy out ball under pressure for him.
Is there any proof of this? I’m not seeing Madrid panic pass at all. Plus, if it were true, then it wouldn’t be important to get press resistant DMs if you could just play quality around him and have it be the same difference?
I wouldn’t even say Kroos would be considered that exceptional in tight spaces as Modric is. He sprays the ball well but he’s not body feinting while being pressed as he receives wild balls from Casemiro.
Edit plus he’s a pressing monster so isn’t just anchored behind 2 midfields he can constantly pass to

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is there any proof of this? I’m not seeing Madrid panic pass at all. Plus, if it were true, then it wouldn’t be important to get press resistant DMs if you could just play quality around him and have it be the same difference?
I wouldn’t even say Kroos would be considered that exceptional in tight spaces as Modric is. He sprays the ball well but he’s not body feinting while being pressed as he receives wild balls from Casemiro
I only comment on what I see so I don't have stats for you. It's just about how each of us interpret the game.

You're right about Kroos, but I'm not saying everyone needs to be press resistant. We have no one. He won't have a partner in Modric, a great CF dropping deep in Benzema, wide players who can carry the ball. His limitations will be exposed due to this.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I might be giving him too much credit but I doubt Sounness believes half of what he says. Talk Sport wouldn't exist unless they told their guests/hosts to come out with this kind shite.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Carragher wrote Martinez off presumably far quicker than he's ever written a player off in his career by saying he can't make it in the Prem.

Gabby pretended he was bullied by Che Adams after he won 5/5 aerial duals.

Now Souness.

It's a witch hunt. Plain and simple. And it doesn't really matter how well he plays, his mistakes will be amplified and twisted or just completely fabricated and his good performances will be brushed under the carpet for a variety of different reasons.

Becks_VII

Carragher wrote Martinez off presumably far quicker than he's ever written a player off in his career by saying he can't make it in the Prem.

Now Souness.

It's a witch hunt. Plain and simple. And it doesn't really matter how well he plays, his mistakes will be amplified and twisted or just completely fabricated and his good performances will be brushed under the carpet for a variety of different reasons.
Ye its crazy the complete writing off of him. Like we all have reservations regarding his height, but these "pundits" aren't even being remotely level headed in their views of him.

It's been a good start from him and he will be up against some bigger frontment and we will see how it goes, bit give the lad a season at least before judging.

Trequarista10

Now Souness.

Tbf the 5/5 duels thing is a good example of statistics being limited/misused.

Completely agree with the rest of your post.

RuudTom83

As everyone gets older they become more close minded, his views are a bit out of touch but nothing to get worked up about.

poleglass red

I normally don't mind Souness, but he's way of here. The game has moved on, the days of teams launching high balls to target men is long gone. Even the teams that do go more direct, they only have 1 up front, teams don't play 2 up anymore. He's stubborn Souness, I'm surprised he doesn't like him, I thought he'd like his agressiveness. Martinez is 1 inch smaller than Kevin Moran, who played in the days of target men and did pretty well for us

GlasgowCeltic

30 odd years in the pundit game and suddenly he's decided to tabloid up his views, its weird

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No mention of Van Dijk poor performance v us? Or Joe Gomes left eating dust by Rashford? Or Matip giving the ball away v Fulham and Van Dijk then giving away a pen? Or TAA costing Liverpool this season?

NewYorkRed

Up there with Steve Nicol and Craig Burley as the people on TV that make my blood boil the most. Can’t wait to see the look on their faces when we win the league next year.

arthurka

According to Souness we bought a challenged midget who isn't good at anything. Never change

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thing is with this particular show, they set the talking points for all the later shows. One of them will say something controversial and then it will be discussed to death in the later shows.

sirAlexsglasses

Up there with Steve Nicol and Craig Burley as the people on TV that make my blood boil the most. Can’t wait to see the look on their faces when we win the league next year.
Thank you, I can’t even bring myself to watch ESPN anymore, Burley and Nicol dont even hide their hatred for United, they really boil my piss. I wouldn’t mind what has Burley ever achieved? Our recent slump has brought out some hatred which I simply do not get. Liverpool we’re atrocious in their slump and their transfer activity equally bad. but there was nowhere near the vitriol dished for them as there is us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why don't you just admit you hate Scottish people?

I mean, I do as well but I'm honest about how much I hate the Jock cnuts.

Someone

Something
How horrible do you need to be to go after a new player who just had a good start to his career like that? I swear some of those ex footballers forgot how hard it is to make it. I mean if you're a pundit and criticizing a certain performance then fair game, but to just sit there and claim that a player will fail just because he doesn't fit your typical profile is just cruel. Honestly Souness is a terrible person.

JTRI

He’s always been bitter about united but there’s no doubt he’s hamming it up for talksport, it’s their MO. Exaggerate every opinion for a bit of free advertising on social media.

NewYorkRed

Why don't you just admit you hate Scottish people?

I mean, I do as well but I'm honest about how much I hate the Jock cnuts.
Haha one of my fav people of all time (no prizes for guessing who) is a Scot, so unfortunately no hate for them. Just these 3 nimrods i’m afraid.

RedorDead21

Pogba wasn’t good enough for us to embarrass Souness and his comments sufficiently for me. I’m hoping Martinez makes the ex Liverpool brigade have to retract their initial judgements about him (prob never happen) and Casemiro will hopefully show himself as a “great player” (for us)…proven obviously before!