Souness on Sky

NotThatSoph

Ok. But it’s not redcafe I was basing it on. Not really sure what you’re aiming at me about.
Not aiming, just commenting. If you don't think it's relevant then don't pay it any mind. From what I saw on twitter it was similar to here on Redcafe just more angry; mostly people reacting to a reaction that either wasn't there or was mild. Basically no one cares about what Souness said, but a lot of people care about people caring about what Souness said. Then suddenly it's PC gone mad because people are fighting ghosts.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If people suggesting souness could've worded things differently or read the room a bit better are snowflakes, what are the people absolutely enraged at the suggestion?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If people suggesting souness could've worded things differently or read the room a bit better are snowflakes, what are the people absolutely enraged at the suggestion?
Wtf does this even mean.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That people really angry at what a very small minority have suggested in a very soft way, are in fact, the real snowflakes.
I mean the fact there's a discussion is a bit ridiculous to me. Souness has said worse more often about Pogba, if someone wants to complain.

Just a bit of a joke given everything else that's going on in the world. That's just my opinion.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I mean the fact there's a discussion is a bit ridiculous to me. Souness has said worse more often about Pogba, if someone wants to complain.

Just a bit of a joke given everything else that's going on in the world. That's just my opinion.
I don't see anyone trying to "cancel" souness, as the cool kids say. Some people have pointed out it's a bit odd and he could've said the same thing using a different expression. The reaction to that suggestion seems to be 10x stronger, and for me that is the really ridiculous bit, some people seem to be taking it almost personally. PC gone mad, snowflakes, the left bla bla bla, it's completely over the top.

Chief123

As shite as he is, absolutely no reason to apologise for his comments. Worlds gone mad :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are people really moaning at Souness watching a man's game and saying...it's a man's game?

Its a hilarious clip just for that Karen Carney's face after.

RC89

I reckon if most of us polled 100 of our friends we'd be lucky to find one or two who gave a shite
Agreed. But the world is bigger than our group of friends. And the outrage about it clearly shows many do care. Whether they should is a different point altogether.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Tarrou

Agreed. But the world is bigger than our group of friends. And the outrage about it clearly shows many do care. Whether they should is a different point altogether.
What outrage are you referring to?

Robindinho

PC gone mad. He said nothing wrong.

Clearly meant it as in it was like an old school game... bite between the managers, tackles flying in, ref letting things go etc.

Withnail

As shite as he is, absolutely no reason to apologise for his comments. Worlds gone mad :lol:
That's why he hasn't apologised. He just clarified what he meant and it's fair enough. I don't expect there to be any repercussions at all.

Although it has highlighted a worrying amount of men who are angered by the 'woke tokenism' of women talking about football on the telly.

FlapR

Who the feck cares, jesus christ. It's obvious what he means.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Who's blowing anything, though? From where I sit I see some people saying he should've said it differently, very few using stronger words, and then I see a big stream of people horrified by the reaction that really isn't there.

Just here on Redcafe we have like five people talking about having women's football "showed down their throats", we have people talking about how we can't say anything anymore, how Karen Carney should feck off out of the studio, how all women should feck off out of the studio.

All because of a facial expression. Something that Carragher did as well but nobody is losing their mind because of that. It's crazy. They're proper angry.
This thread is crazy, so many comments flying in about wokeism and what’s the world coming to, reacting to a reaction that isn’t there. It’s like some weird social experiment.

Tyrion

I’ve already written to OFGEM to complain.

I want him sacked. Far too many scouse voices on sky.
That I agree with. It's like there's a quota that means there must be at least one ex-Liverpool player in any group of people discussing football on British TV.

Frank Grimes

The presenter made a kind of apology the first time Souness said it was a man's game. Then right before the end of the show Souness said feck this I'm going to say it again. He 100% knew what he was doing, wumming levels were admirable. He did nothing wrong imo. Nonsense people get upset over this shit.

NotThatSoph

This thread is crazy, so many comments flying in about wokeism and what’s the world coming to, reacting to a reaction that isn’t there. It’s like some weird social experiment.
Sometimes I forget I'm in the Football Forum and not the General, people here are wild.

hobbers

That people really angry at what a very small minority have suggested in a very soft way, are in fact, the real snowflakes.
Why are you pretending that bemused mockery and anger are the same thing?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Why are you pretending that bemused mockery and anger are the same thing?
If you check social media, read all the misogynistic rants in response to this and conclude it's just bemused mockery, then I guess you're the kind of person who interprets misogynistic rants as bemused mockery.

NotThatSoph

If you check social media, read all the misogynistic rants in response to this and conclude it's just bemused mockery, then I guess you're the kind of person who interprets misogynistic rants as bemused mockery.
Bemused mockery just here on the CAF:

The world we live in now, "women's game" rammed down our throats, Sunday League, men vs women nonsense, triggered white knights, can't say men anymore, the world has gone mad, Carney completely out of her depth, our fathers would be crucified, oversensitive primadonnas empowering the other side, online purity scandal, Carney should feck off and not come back, women's football is garbage, women are less qualified, women talking about football is tokenism, don't want to listen to women, sad state of affair, who would honestly choose a woman pundit?, people are so fecking sensitive, woke wally, offended wokies.

People are taking it so hard that they start ranting about women's football, even about women talking football, and see the very mild reaction as a societal problem. They're using the phrase political correctness gone mad without a hint of irony. It's nuts.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I know you were joking but your statement is by definition sexist whether you want to believe it or not:
I guess your not implying the poster is sexist??? The irony:D

Souness was clearly using an age old football phrase and did not intend to insult woman’s football. It wasn’t an intelligent phrase to use in the circumstances, but Jesus, give Souness a break. There really are more important things to worry about, such as homophobia in football or increased violence on the terraces.

stepic

usually this is the case. the anti-woke crowd tend to be very unironically worked up at loads of stuff.

we all know what Souness meant, don't think anyone is denying that, but like you say it's hardly a massive deal to simply point out it's a little awkward sounding given who is sat next to him and given the events of the summer.

and on a wider societal point, using the word 'man' to refer to toughness and aggressiveness is nonsense patriarchal language in the first place, and does more harm than good usually. but he is a boomer i guess.

Rams

Bemused mockery just here on the CAF:

The world we live in now, "women's game" rammed down our throats, Sunday League, men vs women nonsense, triggered white knights, can't say men anymore, the world has gone mad, Carney completely out of her depth, our fathers would be crucified, oversensitive primadonnas empowering the other side, online purity scandal, Carney should feck off and not come back, women's football is garbage, women are less qualified, women talking about football is tokenism, don't want to listen to women, sad state of affair, who would honestly choose a woman pundit?, people are so fecking sensitive, woke wally, offended wokies.

People are taking it so hard that they start ranting about women's football, even about women talking football, and see the very mild reaction as a societal problem. They're using the phrase political correctness gone mad without a hint of irony. It's nuts.
The posters are being sarcastic, British humor. They’re actually trying to explain that they think the phrase was a stupid one to use, but that it was an innocent mistake and that Souness never intended to insult or belittle woman’s football. It may not be the most intelligent way for posters to approach the topic, but I haven’t read poster who seriously disagrees with the fact that Souness should have used a different phrase in retrospect to explain he was pleased to see passion & fight on a football pitch (which woman are just as adapt as showing as men). Let’s all move on now.

NotThatSoph

The posters are being sarcastic, British humor. They’re actually trying to explain that they think the phrase was a stupid one to use, but that it was an innocent mistake and that Souness never intended to insult or belittle woman’s football. It may not be the most intelligent way for posters to approach the topic, but I haven’t read poster who seriously disagrees with the fact that Souness should have used a different phrase in retrospect to explain he was pleased to see passion & fight on a football pitch (which woman are just as adapt as showing as men). Let’s all move on now.
Several in the thread are being sarcastic. I did not include them here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think people are also missing the point that “man’s game” has negative implications that have nothing to do with womens football.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We’re always told not to compare the women’s game to men’s as it’s different. So we were watching the men’s game, sourness was watching the men’s versions of the game too, not sure why there’s female commentators even if the women’s game is supposedly different, they’ve come from a different version of the sport.

Same goes for the female player (may have been a journalist I don’t know) on about ending the 70 year wait for England to win a trophy, they didn’t, it’s a different game.

Spoony

The People's President
Will you lot stop getting your knickers in a twist. Bloody blouses. It's a man's game... Unless it's being played by women.

Rams

I think people are also missing the point that “man’s game” has negative implications that have nothing to do with womens football.
Actually, if anything I would say that is the most worrying thing of the remark. As if its ok for the players & managers to set that kind of example. Some of the challenges back in the 70’s & 80’s were just horrific.