Southgate eyed for the United job - Telegraph

AaronRedDevil

Presume you've not watched the Ireland side quite recently.

Anyway this is probably nothing more than boardroom talk.
Oh I watch them. They're horrible, it's probably gonna get worse. But sometimes lucky to beat a proper big team like Italy or Germany etc. That's gotta count for something :angel:

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
"News" that doesn't even dignify a response. Obviously bollocks.

For the first time, the club are clearly wanting to demonstrate a new approach, with a full recruitment process for a new manager and a director of football. Making an outside appointment of a manager whose club football management experience starts and ends up at Newcastle would probably be a dodgier appointment than Moyes.

Bet everything I own (about a tenner) that this isn't even being considered.

Kag

Probably the club’s way of changing the news the night before a big game. A reminder that this isn’t a two horse race (even though it pretty much is). A hairbrained way to reduce the pressure on Ole, perhaps.

I say this because Sam Wallace was the first journalist to break the Ole/Phelan news. He then wrote a fairly random (positive) piece about Woodward days later. So this is out there for a reason, but not (in my opinion) because we have any serious interest in appointing Southgate. Thank feck, too.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's currently more qualified than Ole. If we get Poch, reckon he's spurs bound potentially.

POF

Probably the club’s way of changing the news the night before a big game. A reminder that this isn’t a two horse race (even though it pretty much is). A hairbrained way to reduce the pressure on Ole, perhaps.

I say this because Sam Wallace was the first journalist to break the Ole/Phelan news. He then wrote a fairly random (positive) piece about Woodward days later. So this is out there for a reason, but not (in my opinion) because we have any serious interest in appointing Southgate. Thank feck, too.
I hope so. This is the first thing I've read about this story that makes any sense. Simeone being liked today also may corroborate this.

He's currently more qualified than Ole. If we get Poch, reckon he's spurs bound potentially.
How funny would that be? I really want Ole to get the United job but if getting Poch meant Southgate would take over at Spurs, I might change my opinion!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Finally the end of Smalling. Hire Southgate give Jones a new contract and buy McGuiver for 70m.

Mr Smith

That's actually a good shout, and smart on the club's part if so. There's a danger for this weekend's game to be billed as the playoff for the United job, which it really shouldn't be and isn't.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No he isn’t.
Eh?

Guiding the national team to two international finals now, getting to the semis in the world cup > Winning the Norwegian league 10 years ago.

Hes certainly more qualified.

Chairman Woodie

Gareth Southgate? Is it April Fools Day? No, absolutely not. I'd rather an overrated Pochettino to Southgate, assuming Solskjaer doesn't get the job.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He wouldn't even take the job. They said no to Mourinho when he asked for a CB whos to say they'd say yes to Southgate

POF

Eh?

Guiding the national team to two international finals now, getting to the semis in the world cup > Winning the Norwegian league 10 years ago.

Not really. International management is very different to club management and managing an international behemoth like Manchester United is very different again.

Southgate has managed England 31 times. He has only had one other senior management role where his results were pretty underwhelming. By the time the new appointment is made Solskjaer will have managed United for close to 31 games. Providing he does a decent job for the rest of the season he will be a far safer choice with more potential upside.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't believe this could be true. Good Southgate PR maybe or for clicks. England got lucky at the world cup and lost 3 games. He's not suitable for a top club job. I think if poch goes it will be to RM. Plenty of other options though.

pacifictheme

Anti-English bitterness out in full force again...

But yeah don't think he's right for the role here. Would also he rather stayed with England.
Yeah you can spot the home nations users a mile off.

But no thanks gareth. The last time we appointed a manager who got to a world cup semi final it didn't go well.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He’s a shit manager and was lucky with the draw in the WC and still managed to feck it up and not get to the final. I would rather have Jose back.

He can’t manage big ego players that United have and would seriously put us in danger of relegation like Mourinhos last season at Chelsea. It has Moyes mk II written all over it. Stay away!

RD76

If anyone has ever drawn up an interview shortlist, you'll know that you need a 'two tick' candidate.

That's Southgate.

Delano

Let's look at his club credentials shall we? Bought Alfonso Alves for 12million and relegated Boro despite the investment he had. Then walked away when they were struggling in the championship.

His Club CV is far less Impressive then Oles and he's never been at the club! This would be a crazy appointment.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Eh?

Yeah, ask Coleman how much his Euro semis with Wayuls (which is far more impressive than semis with Ingurland) helped him with managing Sunderland.

In before poisoned chalice bullshit.

Josh 76

I'm surprised they have had space to put this story in the paper as their is enough crap to write about transfer rumours.

red thru&thru

This is never true. It’s a bluff on behalf of the United hierarchy, imo. Look at the timing. Right just before the Spurs game. We’re trying to defuse the constant links to Pochettino. If we have any chance of getting Poch, we have to be seen to be doing all the correct things. Otherwise, Levy is absolute a**e hole!

AndyJ1985

I'd like to believe our board have learnt from past mistakes and wouldn't be stupid enough to consider Southgate.

fergieisold

He’s a shit manager and was lucky with the draw in the WC and still managed to feck it up and not get to the final. I would rather have Jose back.

He can’t manage big ego players that United have and would seriously put us in danger of relegation like Mourinhos last season at Chelsea. It has Moyes mk II written all over it. Stay away!
Oh come on, clearly he isn't a shit manager. I don't think he'd be my choice for the United job but what he is doing with England is great, he's continued to improve us and after the World Cup we look better and better.

RMD83

This is never true. It’s a bluff on behalf of the United hierarchy, imo. Look at the timing. Right just before the Spurs game. We’re trying to defuse the constant links to Pochettino. If we have any chance of getting Poch, we have to be seen to be doing all the correct things. Otherwise, Levy is absolute a**e hole!
My first thoughts exactly. Astonishing timing that it is somehow leaked that Southgate is on the short list on the eve of the day we play spurs who’s manager is allegedly our primary target.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If this is true, which I suspect it isn’t, I just wish and hope that the club will try and keep all this respectfully discreet between now and the end of the season.

A) for the sake of OGS
B) So the club doesn’t become another soap opera, it’s embarrassing.

Do it, but do it quietly. Southgate? No thanks. Nice bloke obviously and who knows? He may become a top manager one day. This job is way too big for him right now though.

RMD83

Yeah, ask Coleman how much his Euro semis with Wayuls (which is far more impressive than semis with Ingurland) helped him with managing Sunderland.

In before poisoned chalice bullshit.
Good point. Remember the endless debates in the media of what Coleman’s next job should be? Premier league? Top 6 team possibly? And now look at him. His profile dropped quickly.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
What's going on? You used to plant stories in the media to try and unsettle opponents before big games.

Now you're doing the exact opposite.