Southgate eyed for the United job - Telegraph

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Naa , i don't think Ed is that stupid. That man always wanted big names and you guys think we will go after Southgate? Think our targets are still the same with Ole also now added to the mix.

Ranchero

They closed a thread, not shot your pet.... let it go.

From your comments, you'd be ok with Southgate as manager?
If they had shot my pet, i'd go hoy, I don't have a pet. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! I wouldn't have called it silly.
I have no objections to Southgate. I'd rather him than Diego Simeone.

davidmichael

It’s a two horse race between Ole and Pocchettino and if Ole does well through to the end of the season (top 4, maybe a cup and a good run in Europe) whilst playing as we are and the players playing with smiles on their faces then we’d be foolish to want anyone other than Ole going forward.

If we wanted Zidane then he’d be in place by now, if we wanted Southgate he’d be in place now (Nations League resumes in the summer) so it’s clear that it’s Ole’s to lose and if he doesn’t get it we’ll go all out for Pocchettino at the end of the season.

1rishRed

It’s a two horse race between Ole and Pocchettino and if Ole does well through to the end of the season (top 4, maybe a cup and a good run in Europe) whilst playing as we are and the players playing with smiles on their faces then we’d be foolish to want anyone other than Ole going forward.

If we wanted Zidane then he’d be in place by now, if we wanted Southgate he’d be in place now (Nations League resumes in the summer) so it’s clear that it’s Ole’s to lose and if he doesn’t get it we’ll go all out for Pocchettino at the end of the season.
I don't think we need to rush this decision though. The worst think would be to announce a 2 year contract for Ole tomorrow. Time is on our side. Poch is making sounds like he wants change however if Ole pulls us around consistently and against the big teams then why not appoint him.

That judgement should be reserved until May however.

BigRon1985

Southgate would be the anti-Mourinho with regards to dealing with the press and he would give youngsters a chance but apart from that he wouldn't offer more than the half a dozen or so other contenders. Not a completely ridiculous option though.

Jules_T

The Telegraph used to be a good sports newspaper. It's now full of bullocks articles focused on getting clicks ever since they introduced their subscription model.

Can we add it too the appropriate list of trash newspapers?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One managerial job at club level.... 151 games, 29% win rate.

But yeah, let's give him the biggest job in world football because hes managed to win slightly more than 50% of games as England manger.

cyril C

Nothing against Southgate, he's done great with the national team, but he has no business managing a club like United. Much rather have Ole instead if we can't get our number one target.
Metoo

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
One managerial job at club level.... 151 games, 29% win rate.

But yeah, let's give him the biggest job in world football because hes managed to win slightly more than 50% of games as England manger.
But but...he took England to the semi finals right ?, those Croatians where meant to be tired right?. Southgate shouldn't even be considered for the United job. Some coaches are a perfect fit for international management, like Low for Germany, Southgate he is one of them .

Cockney Phil

Six weeks ago I would have laughed at Southgate for manager. Now, after 6 wins and the massive shift in the club’s footy atmosphere, he looks a viable option. At first blush we think of trophies and success, and dismiss him but Ole had a similar record in British football. Southgate took over England during a time of chaos and crazy media claims. He steadied their performances and had a credible World Cup. He seems to get the best from Rashford and Lingard. He plays attractive football with only a few truly world class players. He’s also developed youth schemes at the highest level and that is a powerful plus in the modern game. His international credibility also stands him in good stead as a candidate. He’s not my final choice but I understand why he is a candidate and, if the story is true, it offers another indication of what the board is looking in its search.

John Blund

Pffft. Scored on a corner against Huddersfield. More than good enough!

Southgate - I'll think I'll pass.

Wilt

I would NEVER want Southgate at Utd. Massively overrated imo.