Southgate eyed for the United job - Telegraph

Acole9

Outstanding
He's done a terrific job with the national team, better than I could've ever imagined him to do. Although it's the same game, you've got to treat international football and club football as two separate things, especially when it comes to management. Remember Middlesbrough? People have short memories. He seems like a really nice guy but he is a bit of wet blanket.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
Ole was 10 times the player and is 10 times the manager

The guy has zero idea of tactics hence why anyone with a decent idea of tactics + some decent players to match outshone England during the WC
Based on getting a team relegated? (his only experience managing in the UK before now)

You saying he hasn’t any tactics, is just an easy thing to say, but is unfounded.

rotherham_red

Yea, Wallace is decent. But like I mentioned in a previous post, the timing of this is all coincidental. We also know leaks are given to throw people off as well. He just has no real credibility to do our job, not amongst the people we are being linked with anyway!
I fully agree with you mate, and I sincerely hope you're right. It's just that the way we are as a club since Fergie and Gill left, doesn't fill me with the utmost confidence :(

Maccataq

No thanks, I'd rather have Ole if not Poch and also I'd rather keep Southgate as England manager. Southgate is to England what Ole is to Utd - someone who fits very well and has a great understanding of what is required of the job.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
No thanks, I'd rather have Ole if not Poch and also I'd rather keep Southgate as England manager. Southgate is to England what Ole is to Utd - someone who fits very well and has a great understanding of what is required of the job.
Yep. Southgate would be a very underwhelming appointment

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Eh?

Guiding the national team to two international finals now, getting to the semis in the world cup > Winning the Norwegian league 10 years ago.

Hes certainly more qualified.
International management is a completely different game. The managers impact is limited and the job requirements aren't remotely comparable. A good spirit in the squad will go a long way at that level. They were impressive in the world cup but they never won a game they weren't heavy favourites in. I've actually been more impressed with him post world cup to be honest but even then it's not comparable to the demands of managing a PL side.

At club level his record is awful. He inherited a stable mid-table side coming off a Uefa Cup Final and within three years had them relegated. The recruitment was unbelievably bad under Southgate, whether he was solely responsible or not I'm sure he had an input. Practically every signing that cost anything was a spectacular flop. His winning percentage was lower than Ole's at Cardiff.

Solksjaer has overachieved in Norway, has three trophies to his name. Whatever else you say about the standard he's actually won stuff. The big failure of his career came at a complete basket case of a club already en route to relegation. There was chaos behind the scenes - He was unfairly written off because of that. I think he'll bounce back either here or somewhere else in England.

red_john

The club have already stated this rumour is false. My personal opinion is Southgate is not good enough for the job. Two horse race for me. Ole or Potch

Hoof the ball

So much historical revisionism going on regarding Southgate and his performances for England. Whilst most of the media focused on his achievement in making the semi-finals, very little was actually said about the quality of the football from England under him. That many of the goals we scored were from set pieces is lost on some. That Southgate has little tactical capacity is another factor as to why he shouldn't get the job. The game vs Croatia, and also the game vs. Colombia are evidence enough that he couldn't make the right tactical calls in order to change the game when required.

There's no way he's going up against the likes of Pep, Sarri, Klopp, Pochettino, and Emery.

SirAF

Ageist
The club have already stated this rumour is false. My personal opinion is Southgate is not good enough for the job. Two horse race for me. Ole or Potch
Thank feck for that, do you have a link though?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He really wouldn't.

His England team have been absurdly overrated (just look at the royal awards handed out) despite losing to every good team that they played at the world cup. He's nowhere near the required level.
He’s done a remarkable job with the English squad - I don’t think you appreciate that from an English fans perspective we had not enjoyed watching our side play since 1998 and possibly Euro 2004 but we have played shit football since then.

Gareth has introduced a modern style of play and allowed players to express themselves which is a huge step forward for the national set up and got us to beat teams we are expected to beat which past set ups have struggled to do in recent years.

We were competing in that semi final and could have won it - we weren’t the better side but we were giving it a good go which is more that can be said about Jose’s united.

He’s not the finished article by any means but he’s a guy whose worked very hard to improve his management and tactical knowledge and imo is still growing and going to get better. He’s a rare Englishman in that sense where he reflects on his failures.

Janson

Who was managing Columbia again? They managed to tie in normal time with Southgate's mighty England side.

Obviously their manager must be some kind of prodigy.

At this exact second the shortlist should be something like Poch > Zidane > Ole >>>>>>> Many options in between >>>>>>> Southgate
Crystal Palace just beat City, that must mean their manager must be some kind of prodigy as well.

What has Ole done to be considered above Southgate?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Crystal Palace just beat City, that must mean their manager must be some kind of prodigy as well.

Be a United legend. Southgate has done nothing and international football is irrelevant when considering managers for club positions.

Half the job is having the respect of the players and truly understanding the club. That's why zidane worked at madrid and why Ole could only ever have this impact at United. The players would see Southgate as a nobody because he is a nobody to United and in the management sense when looking at it from a club football perspective.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Fcuk off Waistcoat. If so, riot.

Never a more unsuited manager for United. Another Moyes guaranteed

dove

And what has Southgate done? I know there are quite a few people who think Southgate is a hero but to me he is an extremely average manager who got a very lucky run of games. They were hopeless against any decent opposition, performances were shite and everything is built on set pieces. No thanks. I would rather see Moyes back than him.

bosnian_red

Our board is stupid, but not that stupid. I am backing Ed to make one right managerial appointment once in his fecking career.
Wouldnt put it past them which is the scary part. This would be Moyes 2.0. A guaranteed failure and sacking within a year.

Aloysius's Back 3

Southgate has been lucky with England because the EPL has never been so deep in its understanding in football.

Every club has a philosophy that it tries to play. Every club can yet play variants of the 4231, 433 and the 352.

The current generation of English footballers are also more technical & relatively young with a whole new generation waiting to be unlocked around the window in the next 2 years.

Southgate's influence on England has been minimal.

A lot of fans saw this rise of England happening 3 or 4 years ago & it's only getting better with bigger & better clubs with fantastic managers & players.

I'd say that Southgate has done a relatively poor job in comparison to what is available for him to use.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Crazy idea. He had a lucky draw in the world cup and made the most of it. He still lost to every good team he played.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
But doesn’t know the club.
Not really. International management is very different to club management and managing an international behemoth like Manchester United is very different again.

Southgate has managed England 31 times. He has only had one other senior management role where his results were pretty underwhelming. By the time the new appointment is made Solskjaer will have managed United for close to 31 games. Providing he does a decent job for the rest of the season he will be a far safer choice with more potential upside.
Yeah, ask Coleman how much his Euro semis with Wayuls (which is far more impressive than semis with Ingurland) helped him with managing Sunderland.

In before poisoned chalice bullshit.
International management is a completely different game. The managers impact is limited and the job requirements aren't remotely comparable. A good spirit in the squad will go a long way at that level. They were impressive in the world cup but they never won a game they weren't heavy favourites in. I've actually been more impressed with him post world cup to be honest but even then it's not comparable to the demands of managing a PL side.

At club level his record is awful. He inherited a stable mid-table side coming off a Uefa Cup Final and within three years had them relegated. The recruitment was unbelievably bad under Southgate, whether he was solely responsible or not I'm sure he had an input. Practically every signing that cost anything was a spectacular flop. His winning percentage was lower than Ole's at Cardiff.

Solksjaer has overachieved in Norway, has three trophies to his name. Whatever else you say about the standard he's actually won stuff. The big failure of his career came at a complete basket case of a club already en route to relegation. There was chaos behind the scenes - He was unfairly written off because of that. I think he'll bounce back either here or somewhere else in England.
You all need to leave your anti-england or the the very least, anti-international football agendas aside for one second and recognise, Southgate is more qualified than Ole. There's no shame in that, it doesn't mean Southgate is a better fit than Ole or should be chosen ahead of Ole, but currently he's more qualified to manage United than Ole, that can't really be debated.

I personally don't want Southgate because I don't think he's a good fit for united, but you can dismiss his achievements so far.

Kostur

海尔的老板
You all need to leave your anti-england or the the very least, anti-international football agendas aside for one second and recognise, Southgate is more qualified than Ole. There's no shame in that, it doesn't mean Southgate is a better fit than Ole or should be chosen ahead of Ole, but currently he's more qualified to manage United than Ole, that can't really be debated.

I personally don't want Southgate because I don't think he's a good fit for united, but you can dismiss his achievements so far.
Oh Jesus here we go again. Instead of throwing 'hurr durr agendas' around, care to respond to my point about Coleman and his Sunderland stint?

Minimalist

Achievements, achievements. Di Matteo is more qualified than Wenger apparently by winning the biggest prize in the game while the latter didn’t.

Southgate’s World Cup means fcuk all. Anti English or not. Load of hyped up wank where they got beat by the only decent team they faced.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Presuming you mean "can't dismiss his achievements"...like, what actual achievements does he really have? I don't deny he's done a respectable job with England but getting a fairly strong side to the semi-final after they've had quite an easy run isn't exactly a huge achievement.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Pick the guy that chose Jones over Smalling for the world cup. Makes sense.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford

You say it can't be debated without providing a single retort to any of the points made.

Okay mate.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Based on getting a team relegated? (his only experience managing in the UK before now)

You saying he hasn’t any tactics, is just an easy thing to say, but is unfounded.
I am referring to how easily england folded to Belgium and Croatia. The only.2 decent teams England in the WC

Also note that Southgate got Middlesbrough relegated. At least ole won something in his career

Janson

Be a United legend. Southgate has done nothing and international football is irrelevant when considering managers for club positions.

Half the job is having the respect of the players and truly understanding the club. That's why zidane worked at madrid and why Ole could only ever have this impact at United. The players would see Southgate as a nobody because he is a nobody to United and in the management sense when looking at it from a club football perspective.
If it's only about being a United legend then people wouldn't be laughing when Giggs is mentioned. I don't want Southgate either, but if no one proven is available then I wouldn't mind. I think people are underestimating the job he has done with England.

And what has Southgate done? I know there are quite a few people who think Southgate is a hero but to me he is an extremely average manager who got a very lucky run of games. They were hopeless against any decent opposition, performances were shite and everything is built on set pieces. No thanks. I would rather see Moyes back than him.
That's your opinion. I don't know if there is anything to discuss if you think he got England so far because of set pieces.

saivet

No way he would turn down United for England - hopefully this is just bollocks though as he would be terrible.
I wouldn't be surprised if he would. He's in a good position with England and the timing of such a departure would make little sense with a Euros next year, with the semi finals and final at Wembley I just don't see why he would jump ship.

He does well at the Euros and while United may not be available he'd have a lot more interest in him than now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

How can he be more qualified when he actually have players 6 to 8 weeks a year? He doesn't train them, he doesn't develop them, he doesn't interact with players on a daily basis. He is unequivocally less qualified than Ole simply because only one of them actually does the job of football club manager. It doesn't even go further than that, the threshold is really low.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Much as it's a nice narrative if it does work, I'm not sure understanding the club is really all that important. Busby literally spent his career playing for our main rivals and Fergie didn't exactly have a strong connection for the most part before joining. Indeed, if anything, instead of coming in with an understanding of what United was/is, both men instead reshaped that definition due to how good they were, and due to the fact that they were visionaries.

Most fans would (generally speaking) have a strong understanding of the club but they obviously wouldn't have the managerial chops to run it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How can he be more qualified when he actually have players 6 to 8 weeks a year? He doesn't train them, he doesn't develop them, he doesn't interact with players on a daily basis. He is unequivocally less qualified than Ole simply because only one of them actually does the job of football club manager. It doesn't even go further than that, the threshold is really low.
Indeed, it's an incredibly different type of job. Southgate's done well to mould a strong team spirit within the England squad but being able to do that when you're interacting with the players every day and have to deal with transfers etc is a completely different type of job. And as has been stated his previous managerial club venture wasn't exactly a success.

bosnian_red

If it's only about being a United legend then people wouldn't be laughing when Giggs is mentioned. I don't want Southgate either, but if no one proven is available then I wouldn't mind. I think people are underestimating the job he has done with England.

That's your opinion. I don't know if there is anything to discuss if you think he got England so far because of set pieces.
It's not just about being a United legend, but it's what has him working right now because he has the respect of all the players. Southgate is not more proven than Ole when it comes to anything related to a Manchester United job. He'd be a guaranteed flop because he just isnt suited to United in the slightest. Its not about being proven. That's not what united needs so much. We need to be as close minded as possible and have our set of requirements and not even consider anything else. Playing the United way, bringing through though, truly understanding what the club represents, actually being able to convey all this to the players, etc.

That's why managers like Simeone, while great managers themselves, shouldnt even get a second of consideration.

GiddyUp

So fecking easy for these shitty sports journalists to get everyone talking about their rag on the Sunday football coverage. Football journalism in England is on par with the National Enquirer and TMZ, fecking embarrassing and full of wankers.

Bwuk

I don’t think he’ll get it but I don’t think he’d be as bad as people make out.

It’s a huge part of Management in keeping the dressing room happy - the England camp all seemed happy.

He tried to be proactive in his tactics, and tried to play attacking football.

England improved tenfold under Southgate, I’d say England will easily be one of the favourites for the Euros in 2020.

I wouldn’t give it to him, but there’s a lot worse candidates who’ve been mentioned.

GiddyUp

Agree. Open minded? This is where it all went wrong in the first place. We need to target the best candidate and go for him. The candidate who matches our ethos! This notion that Poch wouldn’t come is ridiculous.
Ridiculous is right. Poch has spoken about United the same way Mourinho did before he came to the club. People just think this because Levy is a tough negotiator but it will be down to what Pochettino wants to do. I'm certain it will be him, Ole or Jardim and I will be content with either one.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Oh Jesus here we go again. Instead of throwing 'hurr durr agendas' around, care to respond to my point about Coleman and his Sunderland stint?
What's there to talk about? He did a shit job at Sunderland, doesn't mean he wasn't more qualified than other candidates for the role. But he was shit.

Achievements, achievements. Di Matteo is more qualified than Wenger apparently by winning the biggest prize in the game while the latter didn’t.

Southgate’s World Cup means fcuk all. Anti English or not. Load of hyped up wank where they got beat by the only decent team they faced.
Wenger won multiple titles and cups in a top league in the world. That's better than a single CL win. So no, de Matteo isn't more qualified.

Presuming you mean "can't dismiss his achievements"...like, what actual achievements does he really have? I don't deny he's done a respectable job with England but getting a fairly strong side to the semi-final after they've had quite an easy run isn't exactly a huge achievement.
Achievement is perhaps not totally the right word, but guiding England to the semi finals, despite the run of games he had, is a better achievement than winning two league titles in a small league, the best part of 10 years ago. If it wasn't Ole and some other random manager with a similar record, people would say exactly the same.

You say it can't be debated without providing a single retort to any of the points made.

Okay mate.
If this was a different manager this wouldn't be under debate IMO. The reason it is, is because of Ole, and how he knows the club. Winning two league titles 8 and 9 years ago is not better than doing well in a world cup. Southgate did a bad job at Middlesbrough (his first management job), and didn't fantastic job for the u21s (win rate of over 80% since you care about that) and currently doing a great job with the senior team. Ole won two titles in Norway, was relegated with Cardiff, and hasn't won anything since going back to Norway.

I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job with molde, but surely Southgate is a more qualified manager at this point in their careers?