Southgate set Rashford and Sancho up for a fall.

Tiber

I'm not a Southgate fan, but I doubt he forced Rashford to do that crazy runup instead of picking a corner and hitting it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Worst thing is Sancho and Rashford aren't bum players. They could've turned the game in extra time.
Sancho should have come on instead of Saka. Lest we forget Grealish only came on for 20 odd minutes, complete mismanagement

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Big fan of Southgate now, but weird to bring them on and not let either of them to have a kick of the ball and take a pen.

pablo__p

Should have given them a bit more than 45 seconds. Both have what was needed to win the game.

What a bottle job.

Eddy_JukeZ

He blew the final

Could have subbed on both Rashford and Sancho in the 2nd half of ET

Disastrous management

GazTheLegend

Fans need to gather round the lads as the club did Beckham but a quick glance in the Rashford thread shows that won’t be the case.
Don't worry, the redcafe 'fans' in that thread slating Marcus Rashford never go anywhere within 100 miles of Trafford and probably don't know what side of Manchester we play on

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Picks a 19-year-old to take the 5th, brings on 2 players with no match time to take penalities.

Southgate should be sacked, but he will be knighted.

arnie_ni

Be interesting to find out if grealish and Sterling said no. A senior pro and a guy who thinks he god

Bobski

Bringing on regular penalty takers in the last minute happens all the time. They just took poor ones. Bigger issue is England ceding all momentum and letting a fairly limited Italy team without a striker dominate so much of the game and waiting far too long to make game changing subs.

Italy deserved to win, and given the start and the players England had that is a failure.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If this was supposed to be Southgate’s moment of redemption, he messed up worse than 25 years ago. Another Pizza Hut ad beckons.

90 + 5min

Sancho will be fine because he has been good in Bundesliga but with Rashford season and not even playing in tournament. Now missing a penalty after coming on just to take penalty. I really hope Rashford have thick skin and comes back to be even better.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Penalties should belong to the Experience ones.

Just watch the pens from Kane and Maguire, full commitment.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sancho should have came on instead of Saka, when saka came on. That really backfired.

Abraxas

I'm not so sure, Sancho and Rashford are talented boys and should have been able to execute. They didn't, that's football, they probably score 19/20 in training.

I didn't like Saka on the fifth penalty at this stage of his career, said that as he walked up. He had a very poor time when he came on and that was poor awareness from the manager. Credit to him for being brave but should have been overruled.

I do think the manager should have got Sancho and Rashford on at the start of the second half of extra time, or maybe even the start of extra time itself. Nothing to do with warming up to take a penalty but to win the game as we were always underdogs on pens.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Villareal all over again. But much much worse.
Unforgiveable in game management.

Eternitiy

Rashford needs to take a lot of time off to recover from his injury and probably for his mental health. He looks to have zero confidence at the moment. I almost cried watching his body language today.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
F*cker took time in letting Grealish on the pitch, too. If Jack was there from the 2nd half, there probably would be red card for Italy, amount of fouls on him is ridiculous in almost every game.

Southgate didn't used full squad potential to his advantage and Italy looked knackered already vs Spain. Wasted opportunity and waste of time.
Everyone keeps talking about Grealish, but what I saw him do is fail to grow some balls and allow a 19 year old kid go take a penalty instead.

I actually like Grealish but the way people carry on about him, you would've rightly thought he would take one of the pressure kicks.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I should say I disagree with the premise of the thread, nothing wrong with bringing on players to take penalties. Heck even Fergie did it.

Southgate fecked up in other areas

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not a Southgate fan, but I doubt he forced Rashford to do that crazy runup instead of picking a corner and hitting it.
Nothing wrong with the "crazy" run up. He successfully sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with it. It was just inaccuracy with the shot itself, which can happen however you take a penalty.

Mcking

Sancho, Rashford and Saka should be responsible for their misses, not Southgate.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
southgate deserves absolutely nothing that is coming to him

sdb4884

It's on them for their poor pens but they should have played in the 90 and maybe they could have won in normal time. Saka for me taking pen 5 was just a disaster waiting to happen. England certainly need a better coach to do well at the world cup next year.

Cantonaaa!

Southgate fecks up another penalty shootout... Sancho and Rashford didn’t play a minute all game and barely the entire euros, he then brings them on last minute in the final to shoot the most high pressure penalties ever. And what a stupid deciscion to put down a 19 year old for the fifth. A player who everyone could see was not ready for this today. That was just borderline cruel from a man who has been haunted for messing up a penalty himself.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Everyone keeps talking about Grealish, but what I saw him do is fail to grow some balls and allow a 19 year old kid go take a penalty instead.

I actually like Grealish but the way people carry on about him, you would've rightly thought he would take one of the pressure kicks.
He obviously doesn't fancy himself taking penalties. Regularly let Ollie Watkins take and miss them at Villa. Then El Ghazi I think it was went on them

yipthatman

The annoying thing is, if he gets it right he is a genius. Yet now the players that missed will get the stick.

El Zoido

Southgate is a joke. Feck England.

United > England.
ALWAYS.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just sack Southgate off for being an utter moron and bring a Manager in who will actually make substitutions. Tonight was utter farcical ingame management. Amateur hours.

javanmard

Supports
Liverpool
It was their fault to miss their penalties not Southgate so stop blaming others for their blunders.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Grealish is the most overrated player of this season. He has talent but they talk about him, you'd think he's an unstoppable world class player