Southgate set Rashford and Sancho up for a fall.

saivet

Given he took off Walker and had Rashford at RB, couldn't have played that for too long.

It's just one of those things that didn't go our way.

SirAF

Ageist
Not sure Sancho chocked so much, the Rashford one was worse as he had already sat the GK down and just needed to roll it to the other side. No need to go for the corner.

Tbh, I am not a fan of players coming on late to take a penalty. I remember Anelka saying that he got put on in 2008 for that and felt he wasn't ready as he didn't have a feel for the ball. Looked the same way tonight.
Anderson put it away like a boss though :D

patch1

Really I have seen better management at non league clubs .Southgate the saviour of english football you are having a laugh.
Second half we might as wellhave not turned up.Italy 2 centre backs aged 35 ,do play pace no .Southgate is playing football
like Italy did in the 1980s Entertainment is not on Southgates radar.

Cw122dg

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Anderson put it away like a boss though :D
True. However, it is clown management sending two players on without a real warm up for two minutes at the end to take penos.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think you're over rating him, but that seems to be a familiar theme on here.
It's funny how he gets on the pitch and suddenly there's a chance of Jorghinho getting a red card after stomp.

He's not Ronaldinho, but he definitely is an impact player.

Just the idea of bringing on players ONLY to take a penalty in the biggest game of their lives.... Its just crazy.

Rashford I kinda get, he's taken and scored huge pens before and he would have scored had he not miskicked it (though he probably did that due to being cold/under pressure)... But even still, bring them on with 10 minutes to go, make them feel part of the game. Warm them up etc.

The way he did... Its too much.
It was way too much, I knew it’d happen and posted it the second he had them ready to come on.
Taking a pen cold when you’ve spent 120 on a bench and not even had a real touch of a ball is a fecking nightmare, doing it in the biggest game of your life when you’re already fuming at a cowardly manager who won’t even give you 15 minutes is just beyond horrendous.

He utterly fecked them, threw them right under the bus.

arnie_ni

Given he took off Walker and had Rashford at RB, couldn't have played that for too long.

It's just one of those things that didn't go our way.
Hes taking a right back off and leaving Sterling and grealish on, he must be thinking they'd hit one?

RUCK4444

The most confusing thing was taking Trippier off. He is a automatic pick for a peno, so why take him off in a final. He wasn't exactly blowing out of his arse at the time. Walker was playing well and we did need to switch the formation but their were others he could've taken off.

Additionally, pretty sure Mount it a penalty taker for Chelsea in shootouts. So, Sterling could've/should've gone off instead for Grealish as he wasn't doing anything either.
Yeah agree

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
There is no excuses for those terrible penalties. They simply had the chance to win cup for England. They are too young so not critical about them but the excecution of those penalties were terrible whatever way you look at.

Bobski

Sterling hiding is something I can understand because if he missed, you can just imagine what would happen.

But Grealish? What's the excuse there? It's hard to believe really.
Sterling is not exactly the cleanest striker of the ball even as a regular scorer, not surprised to see him absent from the first 5.

Champagne Football

Saka has been full of confidence. Sancho buzzing after getting his dream move. Rashford probably belting them in blindfolded in training.

At the end of the day, Donnarumma is the best keeper on the planet, a 6'5 giant and just the sight of him is enough to intimidate. He saved from experienced assassin Morata in the Semi final to see Italy through.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I dunno man. That’s about 200 million quids worth of footballers. They should be better from that far out.

I do understand he brought them on cold and he didn’t use his attacking options but common sense says give those penalties to attackers. If they’d scored he’d be a genius and they’d be the hero
The amount some clubs have paid for them is out of their control and doesn't mean anything for them other than adding a layer of pressure they probably hate.

If you want to turn this into a money conversation, there'a s bunch of players in that England team that have earned way more in their careers than Sancho, Rashford or Saka and that's usually a better way to value the experience of a player. Grealish, Shaw, Stones, Sterling and even Henderson have made millions in the game and that's money that goes tied to their performances, they're the ones that should've taken penalties when a title is on the line.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It's funny how he gets on the pitch and suddenly there's a chance of Jorghinho getting a red card after stomp.

He's not Ronaldinho, but he definitely is an impact player.
I agree, but that is why he is always a sub. I do like him but some people are talking about if he had started it would've been prime Messi time and we would've walked the final.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Saka has been full of confidence. Sancho buzzing after getting his dream move. Rashford probably belting them in blindfolded in training.

At the end of the day, Donnarumma is the best keeper on the planet, a 6'5 giant and just the sight of him is enough to intimidate. He saved from experienced assassin Morata in the Semi final to see Italy through.
:lol:

Siorac

Just the idea of bringing on players ONLY to take a penalty in the biggest game of their lives.... Its just crazy.

Rashford I kinda get, he's taken and scored huge pens before and he would have scored had he not miskicked it (though he probably did that due to being cold/under pressure)... But even still, bring them on with 10 minutes to go, make them feel part of the game. Warm them up etc.

The way he did... Its too much.
To be fair, Fergie did the same with a 20-year-old Anderson. Though he was only the sixth taker, not one of the 'normal' five.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The amount some clubs have paid for them is out of their control and doesn't mean anything for them other than adding a layer of pressure they probably hate.

If you want to turn this into a money conversation, there'a s bunch of players in that England team that have earned way more in their careers than Sancho, Rashford or Saka and that's usually a better way to value the experience of a player. Grealish, Shaw, Stones, Sterling and even Henderson have made millions in the game and that's money that goes tied to their performances, they're the ones that should've taken penalties when a title is on the line.
Really? If you want to turn this into a money conversation then I’d say to you that Rashford and Sancho are probably the two highest paid players in the whole squad already right now. At 21 and 23. They are already being paid more than their more experienced counterparts. I get the point you’re trying to make but if you wan to play it like that it falls short. They are amongst the highest paid players in the country. They should be pretty reliable for a penalty if they volunteer to take one.

Jacob

Will they get booed across the country this upcoming season?

Mcking

Southgate should be responsible for not utilising his best talents over 90 minutes of football. Imagine putting on an Arsenal youth to win you a final :lol:
I wasn't talking about his management of the game.
He's always been a terrible manager who England were doing well in spite off, but he didn't set up Sancho and Rashford to fail. If anything, he trusted two of his best penalty takers, and they failed to deliver.

Flying_Heckfish

They barely had a touch all tourney.

Fair enough they have the technique to score the pen but they were well out of match practice.

At least Henderson didn't take one

VivaRonaldo85

Damning on both players that Southgate thought all they could offer the team was one kick from 12 yards. If players were that out of form, I wouldn’t have them anywhere near a penalty kick and even worse when you haven’t even had a touch of the football. Mystifying from Southgate. Shame after a brilliant tournament too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I agree, but that is why he is always a sub. I do like him but some people are talking about if he had started it would've been prime Messi time and we would've walked the final.
He didin't even play that much on this tournament to make any impact whatsoever, but he did it anyway.

He's the kind of player to avoid penalty shootout and conjure something up before the nerve wracking.

Zoo

It was farcical from the beginning as they almost didn’t get on in time then England almost conceded from the corner because they weren’t organised. And Rashford was having to play as a RB.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, Fergie did the same with a 20-year-old Anderson. Though he was only the sixth taker, not one of the 'normal' five.
True, and we just did it with Mata and Telles (though they've both been around the block) but I dunno, the weight of the nation on your shoulders and all that

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Damning on both players that Southgate thought all they could offer the team was one kick from 12 yards. If players were that out of form, I wouldn’t have them anywhere near a penalty kick and even worse when you haven’t even had a touch of the football. Mystifying from Southgate. Shame after a brilliant tournament too.
Sancho was great the last game he played. I would have had him on instead of Saka. God help us that we might try to win it without penalties.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
A Symbolic performance of the trainer for the entire tournament. With the exception of a bad German team, they didn't have a real opponent.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's on both players, particularly Rashy, for poor pens and obviously they must have stood up to take one. They're young men but they're grown, experienced players who have to take a share of responsibility.

That said Gareth's just stuck his hand up in a BBC interview, the decisions around pens are on him and personally I'm more inclined to give him pelters over game-management more generally and not stepping in when it fell to Saka to save it for England.

Zen86

We played well for 30 minutes and pretty much shut up shop after that. Loads of talent on the bench that we were particularly slow to bring on, very little ambition shown tonight. The better team won.

Imagine bringing on two players who’ve barely featured all tournament to take a penalty in the European final with their first kick of the ball.

rpitchfo

Complete bollocks. You come on to score your penalties. They choked.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m surprised how good 2021 southgate tastes in my mouth compared to how good 1996 southgate feels in my arse.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
A Symbolic performance of the trainer for the entire tournament. With the exception of a bad German team, they didn't have a real opponent.
True, I said Southgate would get found out today as much as it pains me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The most confusing thing was taking Trippier off. He is a automatic pick for a peno, so why take him off in a final. He wasn't exactly blowing out of his arse at the time. Walker was playing well and we did need to switch the formation but their were others he could've taken off.

Additionally, pretty sure Mount it a penalty taker for Chelsea in shootouts. So, Sterling could've/should've gone off instead for Grealish as he wasn't doing anything either.
Agreed that Sterling should have come off - I understand leaving him on when Italy are pushing for an equalizer given his pace on counters but once it was clear Italy would be happy with 1-1 having technical options in front of the defense would have been way more beneficial.

And yes you're correct - Mount is one of our regular penalty takers. It was very odd that Southgate seemed to completely forget that penalties were an option - he didn't seem to have properly thought through his subs all things considered.

cyberman

You only play Rashford etc at RB to make room for pen takers. If Sterling and Jack arent taking one then theres no point in doing that, just sub those 2 off.
Mind boggling decision.

SAF is the GOAT

I really hope that this ending won't affect Sancho and Rashy too much for the new season because if it is we're fecked. Southgate you bloody twat.

cyberman

Agreed that Sterling should have come off - I understand leaving him on when Italy are pushing for an equalizer given his pace on counters but once it was clear Italy would be happy with 1-1 having technical options in front of the defense would have been way more beneficial.

And yes you're correct - Mount is one of our regular penalty takers. It was very odd that Southgate seemed to completely forget that penalties were an option - he didn't seem to have properly thought through his subs all things considered.
Mount has only ever taken 1 pen for you.

Waynne

Don't care about Southgate. He's bottled it for the country and the loss is squarely on him.

I'm more worried about Sancho and Rashford and the inevitable abuse that will follow them for the next weeks/months.