Southgate set Rashford and Sancho up for a fall.

killerboi2

No way did Southgate pick the penalty takers. Sterling and Grealish bottled it and he was forced to work with what he had. He's just saying that to protect the players.

Crimson King

Should have at least given them 15 minutes to try and influence the game. Might have helped them settle for the penalties too.

It was a big gamble by Southgate, and didn't pay off.

cyberman

Yeah from actual matches - he's featured in shootouts for us and also for Derby though which was the original question as far as I could see. Certainly I'd have fancied him over Saka at the very least.
I can't actually remember a pen shootout you lot have played in so fair enough.

Dobba

"Right lads, I've deemed you surplus to requirements for 119 minutes in this game and for pretty much the entirety of this tournament. Now go out there and take two of the five highest pressure penalties any footballer from this country has ever taken. Don't worry a centre half is taking one just before you and a mascot is taking the one after you"

siw2007

Totally agree, you can’t just bring a player off the bench with 30 seconds to go and not get a kick all tournament and expect them to deliver. I think Rashford scores that if he had the last 15min of the game with a few chances on goal.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bullshit, it’s a free shot from 12 yards they chocked simple as that, Rashford’s penalty was a fecking disgrace, stupid run up and to stick it wide was embarrassing
Interesting take from a person who has an incorrect opinion.

Based Adnan

Saka has never taken a penalty in his career and Southgate decided there's no problem with having him as the 5th taker. Utterly brainless decision.

Siorac

True, and we just did it with Mata and Telles (though they've both been around the block) but I dunno, the weight of the nation on your shoulders and all that
Yeah. It shouldn't have been Saka, at least.

Still, Southgate's biggest crime, so to speak, is the time between Shaw's goal and the equaliser when England apparently didn't even try to play football for some inexplicable reason.

arnie_ni

You only play Rashford etc at RB to make room for pen takers. If Sterling and Jack arent taking one then theres no point in doing that, just sub those 2 off.
Mind boggling decision.
Said the same. If those 2 aren't taking pens, bring rashy and sancho on at half time of ET and try and win the game, and they are still on for the penalties.

He had to believe they were on his 5 heading in with kane rashy and sancho.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I can't actually remember a pen shootout you lot have played in so fair enough.
Yeah it's not been a huge number or anything - league cup vs Spurs this past year off the top of my head and I think there was at least one the year before? He definitely was involved in the shootout between United and Derby the year before that I believe.

Regardless would agree that he's not guaranteed to score or anything like that, but I'd be more confident in him than in someone taking their first ever professional penalty even with limited previous.

Charlie Foley

Shite from Southgate. You might think he would know to better protect/prepare his players given the context, but come on. He bottled this

Judas

Open to offers
Amazing how Anderson came on in 2008 in the same circumstances, don't think he even got a touch of a ball, probably on less than a minute, buried his pen. It's a very risky strategy, looks brilliant when it works, but when it doesn't, nightmare scenario.

Both of these lads deserved to make a difference in normal time, they were robbed of the chance to truly influence the final.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
More experienced players sat back and watched a 19 year old kid take a pen. Grealish is hailed as the second coming Christ and he didn’t take one. Pathetic.
Yep. This is surely on them. I can't imagine the manager wouldn't listen to the players.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, I wouldn't have done that it I was in his position. Is one of those things that if they work you get massive credit and people will talk you as some sort of genius but it is viewed that way because is something unthinkable for any sane person as it something with high chances of going horribly wrong.

I wouldn't say he set to fail, maybe is just a case of him being very dumb and if that's not the case then I agree, the man must hate them to expose such young players in that manner. He didn't sub them in with enough time to play some football and get into rhythm he just threw them into the penalties with lots of pressure on them.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Seriously. The captain was the first taker and the substitute youngster the fifth?
If he let them go first and Kane 5th he might never have gotten to take one. Didn't Portugal get caught out holding back Ronaldo for the 5th peno vs Chile and Claudio Bravo saved 3 in a row before it even got to him.
Your three best should be your three first and it was, Kane, Maguire and Rashford.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Amazing how Anderson came on in 2008 in the same circumstances, don't think he even got a touch of a ball, probably on less than a minute, buried his pen. It's a very risky strategy, looks brilliant when it works, but when it doesn't, nightmare scenario.

Both of these lads deserved to make a difference in normal time, they were robbed of the chance to truly influence the final.
Fergie was actually a good man manager though. He could do things like that.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I have never understood all the finger pointing after penalty shootouts

End of the day these players were selected to take pens for a reason. They would have been decided based on conversations with the players and their record in training I don’t agree it is a lottery but it’s impossible to recreate a shootout within training, so you have to go with a bit of hope and cannot forsee what is to happen.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Another thing:

If Sterling could barely run/walk, then why you aren't talking him off for Sancho/Rashford if you don't want to shoot him a pen anyway?

Instead of this you are taking off two more experienced players with Henderson and Walker, while Sterling and Grealish can't/don't want to take a pen anyway.

It's just strange.

Reditus

Another thing:

If Sterling could barely run/walk, then why you aren't talking him off for Sancho/Rashford if you don't want to shoot him a pen anyway?

Instead of this you are taking off two more experienced players with Henderson and Walker, while Sterling and Grealish can't/don't want to take a pen anyway.

It's just strange.
You might have a point and maybe he was meant to, but in the huddle might have suddenly doubted himself….these are thing no one will ever know but it’s certainly a possibility

Reditus

Rashford gave up his op to sit on England's bench, get overlooked for players like Saka and then get thrown on for 3 minutes to take a penalty.
And nearly won the euros, if things had gone his way tonight he would have been a one of the penalties that win them the tournament

Can you begrudge him that?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Meh you gotta bury your penalty.

The game was lost in the second half as only 1 team wanted to play.

Southgate got what he deserved. Penalties are always overanalysed.

There is 120 minutes to be the better team. Southgate fecked up big time after getting an early lead.

Leaving attackers like Grealish and Rashford on the bench for so long gets you this result.

Italy have ancient CBs and not trying to exploit that is criminal.

Southgate is ok and nothing more. Rodgers would do well or call up Wenger.

arnie_ni

You might have a point and maybe he was meant to, but in the huddle might have suddenly doubted himself….these are thing no one will ever know but it’s certainly a possibility
Hes got more than a point I think. You don't take walker of for rashford, re sub Henderson who fought for a penalty In the warm up games, unless think sterling and grealish are on your top 5 list.

He had to be thinking they'd be hitting one.

MTF

True, Anderson came on in the last minute of play that night. But it was for Wes Brown who I imagine would otherwise have been taker #10 on United's list just before VDS. And Anderson himself only got the responsibility of being the taker for penalty #6, not even one of the initial 5. Belletti came on similarly for Chelsea and was tasked with penalty #2 for them which he slotted in fairly coolly.

I'd say that United's taker who had the most pressure relative to stature that night was Nani, who had played 20 mins of extra time coming on for Rooney, and got tasked with penalty #5. But I think it's the correct decision nonetheless to actually have him at #5 and Ronaldo at #3, because your last taker isn't even guaranteed a kick depending on how the initial 4 go for each team.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Launching players at 119 mins to shoot PKs while they are cold is never a good idea.

thepolice123

Have you seen the penalty? He absolutely twatted it and it flew right smack in the middle. I bet he had no idea where the shot was going. :lol:

Rashford, Sancho and Saka psyched themselves out. Their penalties are very similar to the one Ronaldo missed for us. For Anderson it was the opposite.

mav_9me

Saka has never taken a penalty in his career and Southgate decided there's no problem with having him as the 5th taker. Utterly brainless decision.
Did not know that. Just when I thought it couldn't get more moronic.

alexthelion

I wasn't talking about his management of the game.
He's always been a terrible manager who England were doing well in spite off, but he didn't set up Sancho and Rashford to fail. If anything, he trusted two of his best penalty takers, and they failed to deliver.
Funny how he suddenly trusts them when he's hardly given either a kick during the whole tournament.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of course he did. They're game changing players yet he doesn't even bother giving them time to make an impact and get comfortable in the situation on the pitch? Get a feel for the ball? It's a fecking trainwreck from Southgate, both the tactics, the subs, and the penalty takers.

bosnian_red

If he let them go first and Kane 5th he might never have gotten to take one. Didn't Portugal get caught out holding back Ronaldo for the 5th peno vs Chile and Claudio Bravo saved 3 in a row before it even got to him.
Your three best should be your three first and it was, Kane, Maguire and Rashford.
Since when is Maguire one of the best 3 takers? His penalty technique was beyond risky and more lucky than anything. He took it like a goal kick, easy chance to sky it.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Have you seen the penalty? He absolutely twatted it and it flew right smack in the middle. I bet he had no idea where the shot was going. :lol:

Rashford, Sancho and Saka psyched themselves out. Their penalties are very similar to the one Ronaldo missed for us. For Anderson it was the opposite.
Anderson literally said in an interview later that he thought he was totally fecked before the penalty and just decided to “kick it hard, close my eyes, and pray for it to go in.”

Better to be lucky than good sometimes!

bosnian_red

Italy are shite. Shouldn’t have even gone to pens. They got outclassed by Spain. I don’t read too much into pens but they were a poor finalist IMO.
You're kidding right? They played England off the park. They played everyone but Spain off the park, and that Spain game they held on but was a relatively even game too. They haven't lost in 30+ games and were the best managed from the start despite big injuries and being the away team. They're deserved winners.