Southgate set Rashford and Sancho up for a fall.

Someone

Something
Letting Saka take the final one is unforgivable, he had Grealish there and sent a kid instead. A lesson in what not to do in penalties for all managers.

RUCK4444

Those were absolutely terrible pen choices. Two players coming on totally cold with barely any time to warm up and a youngster who has shown for over an hour that he wasn’t ready for such an occasion.

A disasterclass of choices. Really, really poor.
This. I’m not English, just pretty obvious really when you have other options.

Terrible prep and choices for penalties from Southgate.

The_Midfielder

The problem isn't him bringing players on for penalties. After all, Ole did the same to success in our final and was indeed criticised for not changing his goalkeeper too.

The problem is that he had Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho on his bench and didn't think they might win him the game other than with penalties.
We brought in Mata.. compare that to the others

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Everyone keeps talking about Grealish, but what I saw him do is fail to grow some balls and allow a 19 year old kid go take a penalty instead.

I actually like Grealish but the way people carry on about him, you would've rightly thought he would take one of the pressure kicks.
If Grealish was from the start, there could be no penalties and he would frustrate the living dogpiss out of Italians. It was a perfect game for him.

Penalties are a bitch and even Kane missed one.

Shark

@NotShark
Sancho, Rashford and Saka should be responsible for their misses, not Southgate.
Southgate should be responsible for not utilising his best talents over 90 minutes of football. Imagine putting on an Arsenal youth to win you a final :lol:

Highfather_24

Finally I feel I'm not in a bizarro world, and people are seeing Southgate for the fraud that he is. The only reason I didnt want England to win is his anti-football style while having the best attack in the world. It really grates me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Unnecessary pressure from a pathetic manager.
I dunno man. That’s about 200 million quids worth of footballers. They should be better from that far out.

I do understand he brought them on cold and he didn’t use his attacking options but common sense says give those penalties to attackers. If they’d scored he’d be a genius and they’d be the hero

Green_Red

Play Sancho, win 4-0, bench him, bring him on and make him have his first touch of the ball as a penalty in the final of the European Championships. Legend of a manager. 10 more years!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Fans need to gather round the lads as the club did Beckham but a quick glance in the Rashford thread shows that won’t be the case.
Internet fans gotta internet, I guess. I bet a fair few idiots would've been frothing at the mouth in 1998, without the internet to abuse Beckham.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

I am no expert, but I texted my brother as they were coming on “do you think it’s a good idea to bring on two players completely cold to take a pen!??”

He has lost the shootout and destroyed three players confidence in one swoop!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If Grealish was from the start, there could be no penalties and he would frustrate the living dogpiss out of Italians. It was a perfect game for him.

Penalties are a bitch and even Kane missed one.
I think you're over rating him, but that seems to be a familiar theme on here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Grealish is the most overrated player of this season. He has talent but they talk about him, you'd think he's an unstoppable world class player
Nonsense. If Grealish had Mounts minutes he'd have produced something.

Woodzy

Can’t believe ‘Player of the tournament’ Sterling and Golden boy Grealish didn’t take penalties ahead of two young lads that barely got to kick the ball before having to take a penalty.

Bobski

Grealish can't hold on the ball and try to draw a foul when taking a pen.

Talented player but he is not the messiah and he might have issues playing with other talented attackers, bit like(but not as good) as late Chelsea Hazard, holds the ball for too long.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Bringing on regular penalty takers in the last minute happens all the time. They just took poor ones. Bigger issue is England ceding all momentum and letting a fairly limited Italy team without a striker dominate so much of the game and waiting far too long to make game changing subs.

Italy deserved to win, and given the start and the players England had that is a failure.
100% true

MattofManchester

Saka had a bad time.

Rashford and Sancho could not even acclimatize themselves to the game before they had to take a pen.
If I remember correctly, the pen was their second touch each.

Ridiculous move.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Horrible trick to pull on Rashford and Sancho. No time to kick the ball never mind get the feel of it. Just awful.

Asking Saka to do the fifth was pathetic as well. He wasn't even playing well and bubbling over with confidence - he was just there.

GoldanoGraham

Really managed that game wrong - real shame as had got everything correct up until tonight - I knew as soon as I saw the line up I knew we were gonna be under pressure - we got lucky very early but after that we did nothing - their goal was always coming and we never made any subs until it was too late - and I’m afraid Horrenderson was a really bad call…..Gareth let that game get away from him - too worried to take off the likes of Sterling or Mount - no real plan B - as for the penalty taking selection then that was in excusable - real big opportunity missed… but the better team won…..unfortunately

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Stupid decision by Southgate. If Italy had scored from the last corner he would have been blamed.

RUCK4444

I am no expert, but I texted my brother as they were coming on “do you think it’s a good idea to bring on two players completely cold to take a pen!??”

He has lost the shootout and destroyed three players confidence in one swoop!
Yeah exactly. Poor management.

Losing pens is a lottery but he’s killed three players confidence needlessly. Saka looks devastated.

It’s going to be hard for people to criticise Southgate but that’s an obvious point which will get ignored, although to be fair in the past making subs at the last minute hasn’t really resulted in the players missing.

My biggest gripe is that England are overall the better team with the better players and better squad depth. And I feel Southgate cost us the final by underestimating his players and respecting the Italian team too much.

I’d have much rather seen us play to win, attack their old defence, interchange and move. But instead we saw our attackers stay in their sides, rarely saw Stirling or Mount cut inside or swap sides. And with the Italian CB’s not under pressure it allowed Verratti and Jorginho to focus further forward.

RUCK4444

Really managed that game wrong - real shame as had got everything correct up until tonight - I knew as soon as I saw the line up I knew we were gonna be under pressure - we got lucky very early but after that we did nothing - their goal was always coming and we never made any subs until it was too late - and I’m afraid Horrenderson was a really bad call…..Gareth let that game get away from him - too worried to take off the likes of Sterling or Mount - no real plan B - as for the penalty taking selection then that was in excusable - real big opportunity missed… but the better team won…..unfortunately
I said to my English mate, bet you Southgate goes five at the back and concede possession.

Especially frustrating when Spain showed how you can pin them back if you press them.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Saka was set up to fail. Sancho and Rashford should have done better.

arnie_ni

For Southgate to take of hendo and walker leaving grealish and Sterling on, he had to think they'd be hitting a pen surely?

ExoduS

Southgate did put them late, and didn't have balls to make the subs and win the game in the regulation. Sancho and Rashford choked. Southgate didn't set them for failure. Poor choice to have Saka take last penalty.

Woodzy

I dunno man. That’s about 200 million quids worth of footballers. They should be better from that far out.

I do understand he brought them on cold and he didn’t use his attacking options but common sense says give those penalties to attackers. If they’d scored he’d be a genius and they’d be the hero
They are kids. It’s a huge amount of pressure for one kick of the ball considering the circumstances.

I agree with your second point though, he would be getting a ton of praise if they scored but unfortunately that sort of fickle reaction comes with being a manager.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

The most confusing thing was taking Trippier off. He is a automatic pick for a peno, so why take him off in a final. He wasn't exactly blowing out of his arse at the time. Walker was playing well and we did need to switch the formation but their were others he could've taken off.

Additionally, pretty sure Mount it a penalty taker for Chelsea in shootouts. So, Sterling could've/should've gone off instead for Grealish as he wasn't doing anything either.

JustinC00

Ya they could have taken better penalties but Sterling & Grealish hid from the pressure & the moment while Marcus and Jadon took it on

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Finally I feel I'm not in a bizarro world, and people are seeing Southgate for the fraud that he is. The only reason I didnt want England to win is his anti-football style while having the best attack in the world. It really grates me.
It's shocking. What are the FA bosses going to do about this? Are they happy with this? Is this what they want all the investment in training and facilities to come down to?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't wait for Rashford and Sancho to smash the Premier League and show Southgate what a muppet he is.

Fooza

You won't be having a team playing like that when they go one up early on if it's under a top manager who plays good football. Coward of a manager that's got found out.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just the idea of bringing on players ONLY to take a penalty in the biggest game of their lives.... Its just crazy.

Rashford I kinda get, he's taken and scored huge pens before and he would have scored had he not miskicked it (though he probably did that due to being cold/under pressure)... But even still, bring them on with 10 minutes to go, make them feel part of the game. Warm them up etc.

The way he did... Its too much.

Lee565

You can add saka to being thrown under the bus, you had to be blind and stupid to not realise the moment saka was subbed on that the stage was too much pressure for him to handle, constant terrible heavy first touches, struggled to control the ball, ran around like a headless chicken and was afraid to take on players.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Southgate did put them late, and didn't have balls to make the subs and win the game in the regulation. Sancho and Rashford choked. Southgate didn't set them for failure. Poor choice to have Saka take last penalty.
Not sure Sancho chocked so much, the Rashford one was worse as he had already sat the GK down and just needed to roll it to the other side. No need to go for the corner.

Tbh, I am not a fan of players coming on late to take a penalty. I remember Anelka saying that he got put on in 2008 for that and felt he wasn't ready as he didn't have a feel for the ball. Looked the same way tonight.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Ya they could have taken better penalties but Sterling & Grealish hid from the pressure & the moment while Marcus and Jadon took it on
Sterling hiding is something I can understand because if he missed, you can just imagine what would happen.

But Grealish? What's the excuse there? It's hard to believe really.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
You can add saka to being thrown under the bus, you had to be blind and stupid to not realise the moment saka was subbed on that the stage was too much pressure for him to handle, constant terrible heavy first touches, struggled to control the ball, ran around like a headless chicken and was afraid to take on players.
Thing is, he is probably the most likable footballer going. No way should he have been made to go up 5th ffs.