Spartacus: Vengeance

Cali Red

Illthyia is dead people....she has no role to play.

A couple of characters from next season(taken from EW interview with Steven DeKnight)

Caeser on the left and Crassus on the right
Dead? You sure? I thought maybe she just passed out. Seems like she'll serve as a good rallying cry for war against Spartacus. Death of her husband and Roman and yadda yadda yadda.

Sylar

I personally thought the battle scene between Ashur and Naevia was unconvincing and ridiculous. I realize it's a TV series, but a little dose of reality would have helped. A great evil character like him deserved a better scripted ending than that. The notion that she would last more than five seconds against him, let alone beat him,is utterly ludicrous.
I wasnt too bothered by it. Ashur was hardly trying. He was just backing up and countering to put her down. He struck her many times, toyed with her and got her on her knees. She pretty much only had the advantage when she sucker-hit him low when he was trash talking. Typical Ashur arrogance.

Even though she was trained by Crixus, she didnt really stand a chance against Ashur, who lets not forget, was a cripple and a "lowly" gladiator. Yes he could still kick ass but it went like it should have imo.

Neutral

BTV
Dead? You sure? I thought maybe she just passed out. Seems like she'll serve as a good rallying cry for war against Spartacus. Death of her husband and Roman and yadda yadda yadda.
Yup...dead, like Cina says, the writer confirmed it. She was basically hanging on for the baby...but once saw it go over, her will to live goes with it.

VII

Eh? Gannicus and Oenemious had to take him down together. And he killed Oenemious ...
Spartatus was about to cut the Egyptian into two but had to retreat because Glaber's troops were approaching. Just before Mira got axed.

Cali Red

No she's dead. Writers confirmed it.
Yup...dead, like Cina says, the writer confirmed it. She was basically hanging on for the baby...but once saw it go over, her will to live goes with it.
Interesting. So they basically killed off the whole connection to the first two seasons then. Other than Spartacus and his men.

Cali Red

No one else find it unrealistic Spartacus had more difficulty fighting Glaber than the Egyptian?
I thought it was a bit. Spartacus should have dispatched Glabber fairly easily.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The finale was pretty good but I thought killing Illthyia's baby was a bit much, even for this show.

Overall it was a decent series but they need to tone down the inspirational dialogue, gets tedious as feck.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No one else find it unrealistic Spartacus had more difficulty fighting Glaber than the Egyptian?
To be fair, Glaber was a top officer in the roman army, you dont get there from being a pussy in a fight!

He was heavily trained, and no doubt would put up a good fight.

I think you are letting his political values get in the way of his badassness.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The finale was pretty good but I thought killing Illthyia's baby was a bit much, even for this show.

Overall it was a decent series but they need to tone down the inspirational dialogue, gets tedious as feck.
Regarding the baby I thought it took balls to do that on TV. I knew what Lucretia was thinking when she took it, I just hoped they wouldn't cop out like dropping the baby to safety before falling herself. I was not disappointed. Lucretia executed the perfect 'vengeance' as the end of series 1 showed her losing her baby and passing out because Illythia wouldn't open the doors. Perfect.

With regards to the dialogue, I'm not too engaged with it either but it serves an historically important purpose. It was words from his mouth rather than the blood on his hands that allowed Spartacus to make a large dent on the Roman empire. I'm sure he said many other things but for the interest of fluid TV they've restricted the speeches.

Member 39557

They had to kill off some of the characters to move the series on, in line with history.
I wonder how they'll deal with the scale of the slave army and roman legions with regards to budget constraints?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They had to kill off some of the characters to move the series on, in line with history.
I wonder how they'll deal with the scale of the slave army and roman legions with regards to budget constraints?
The shitty special effects are part of this series charm. I would not at all be suprised to see some of the crowd scenes from Beh Hur chucked in.

Smores

I wasn't expecting much from this series with the new actor and all but wow was I wrong. They built that perfectly and the finale was immense.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just finished it.I'm left speechless to that superb ending.If there's one thing they've nailed perfectly it's their finales.
I thought the new "Spartacus" was a bit meh at the start but I got used and like him very much in the end.The actor did well in a role that wasn't so easy.
The part about the baby shocked me tbh but it's part of the series, human atrocity in any kinda form.
I liked the reappearance of the Gannicus character as well and how evolved from being selfish to believing in the "cause".
The blood, the sex and the special effects might be OTT but they're key elements of the series.All in all, a great season and a fantastic finale.
edit: goodbye Oenamaeus *sniff*

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The series was brilliant because you just knew once Spartacus, Oenemaeus, Gannicus and Crixus high fived it spelled the end of any Roman fleet. I have not been so excited about gathering heroes together for one cause since Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy set aside their differences! :drool:

Batiatus who?

VII

To be fair, Glaber was a top officer in the roman army, you dont get there from being a pussy in a fight!

He was heavily trained, and no doubt would put up a good fight.

I think you are letting his political values get in the way of his badassness.
He being a top officer owed much to his father-in-law.

In any case my point was Glaber put up a much better fight than the Egyptian who was invincible and it took Oenomaus and Gannicus to take him down and even than Oenomaus paid with his life.

Cina

Wow, seriously unexpected because it's such a ratings churner for them, at least they're giving it another season I guess.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
7 episodes in to season 2 and still loving this show. It's not quite as good as the second half of the first season but it's still pretty solid. It's a ridiculous, overblown orgy of gratuitous sex and violence and the homoerotic bromantic beefcake stuff is but silly comic book fun. But it's the tightness of the plotting and the character detail that sets the show apart. Game of Thrones could learn a lot from this series.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Spartacus is one of the best shows I have ever watched. The actor who died was great and the one who replaced him grew into the role and truly became Spartacus too. Best seasons are the first and the last ones. One thing they have nailed in this show, it's their finales. Each season has a superb finale.

Sylar

Amazing finales. I think what really helped as well was the number of episodes. The prequel was fantastic too and linked well with the "second" season. Agreed with your assessment @dumbo

Loublaze

ATLien
Spartacus is one of the best shows I have ever watched. The actor who died was great and the one who replaced him grew into the role and truly became Spartacus too. Best seasons are the first and the last ones. One thing they have nailed in this show, it's their finales. Each season has a superb finale.
Amazing finales. I think what really helped as well was the number of episodes. The prequel was fantastic too and linked well with the "second" season. Agreed with your assessment @dumbo
The type of finales that make you want to stand up and just clap as the credits roll down

Loublaze

ATLien
Even in the last season when most of the gladiators die in gruesome ways, you could only applaud it. I plan to watch it all back soon.
I binged watched it on Netflix. Couldn't watch anything else

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
To be fair, Glaber was a top officer in the roman army
No, he wasn't. In reality he was a commander of the militia. Local police commissioner who commanded mercenaries. Nothing to do with the army. That's why Spartacus revolt wasn't nipped in the bud and could grow to become real threat for the empire.

He was so unimportant that we don't even know if he was killed or just ashamed and never talked about again.

Adam-Utd

No, he wasn't. In reality he was a commander of the militia. Local police commissioner who commanded mercenaries. Nothing to do with the army. That's why Spartacus revolt wasn't nipped in the bud and could grow to become real threat for the empire.

He was so unimportant that we don't even know if he was killed or just ashamed and never talked about again.
It was a long time ago, but I am pretty sure I was talking purely about the TV show. He held a high position and wouldn't have got there without being tough.

Adam-Utd

Speaking in terms of TV Show: Didn't he got there thanks to his wife? And her father whom he killed?
Honestly don't remember it's over 3 years since I watched it. Whether it's historically correct doesn't matter too much though, as long as it has spartacus leading the revolt it's close enough for a spartacus style show.

Loublaze

ATLien
Speaking in terms of TV Show: Didn't he got there thanks to his wife? And her father whom he killed?
Yes, his wife was always asking her dad for favors on his behalf. He was considered an embarrassment for failing to quell the Gatae revolt in Thrace...or for letting Spartacus and his fellow auxiliary unit defeat his troops.