Spurs 2018/19

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think Cook and Grealish would be good business from us and help us in the home grown area too.
Reminds me a bit of us at the tailend of the 2012 window, when we had put all our eggs in the Clint Dempsey basket for us to have a decent season.

The tragedy of it all wasn't so much that he went to spurs and we started our season with only one senior striker. The tragedy was that we were sat on deadline day hoping for Clint Dempsey of all players to save our season.

Clint F***ing Dempsey.

Whether you actually sign Grealish or not won't make much of a difference to your season, I'd wager.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Reminds me a bit of us at the tailend of the 2012 window, when we had put all our eggs in the Clint Dempsey basket for us to have a decent season.

The tragedy of it all wasn't so much that he went to spurs and we started our season with only one senior striker. The tragedy was that we were sat on deadline day hoping for Clint Dempsey of all players to save our season.

Clint F***ing Dempsey.

Whether you actually sign Grealish or not won't make much of a difference to your season, I'd wager.
In fairness, Dempsey was class for Fulham. :D

I remember being quite excited about him signing, if a little concerned he wouldn't do it at a better team where he wasn't the focal point. Scored a goal in our win against United at OT though so, not all bad ..

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You didn't like it, so let's try one from another Spurs fan invited inside (hertyid):

"Astonishing stadium. The seats in the south and north stands in particular are incredibly close to the pitch, seems like only a few feet. The South Stand Kop is very steep and imposing. The upper tiers of the West and East Stands are similarly steep and hang over the pitch like at the Bernabeu. The concourses and wide and spacious, and all feel like Club Wembley in terms of the food and drink options and the quality of the finish. It's really, really impressive, much better than I expected (having not been there since the last game at old WHL).

Spoke with some club officials about the timeline, and they said it's tight but they aren't worried about finishing. 3000 people working there each day, they can fit 5000 seats in a day, pitch is on schedule, changing rooms and tunnel club up next, south stand almost finished. Honestly, most of the stadium was open yesterday, 1st 4th and 5th floors North, West and East stands. It's all ready to go.

Some really nice touches, the bricks from the old Shelf in the walls at either end of one of the bars, the platform at the top of the North Stand where the Cockerel will sit, the new Park Lane Kop stand is just totally epic (with longest bar in Europe), the technology is amazing (can pour 60,000 pints in 5 minutes).

They have done an amazing job recreating WHL and not just a generic bowl. When you are down by the dugout, you feel the enormity of the stadium looking up to the gods. When you are up top in the 5th tier, you feel like you are in the Colosseum in Rome.

It's going to be epic when Liverpool come to town on 15th September."
This is better, mate. More informative, less of the poetry .. clearly impressed and enjoyed the facilities but not going OTT. Decent little informative summary.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You didn't like it, so let's try one from another Spurs fan invited inside (hertyid):

"Astonishing stadium. The seats in the south and north stands in particular are incredibly close to the pitch, seems like only a few feet. The South Stand Kop is very steep and imposing. The upper tiers of the West and East Stands are similarly steep and hang over the pitch like at the Bernabeu. The concourses and wide and spacious, and all feel like Club Wembley in terms of the food and drink options and the quality of the finish. It's really, really impressive, much better than I expected (having not been there since the last game at old WHL).

Spoke with some club officials about the timeline, and they said it's tight but they aren't worried about finishing. 3000 people working there each day, they can fit 5000 seats in a day, pitch is on schedule, changing rooms and tunnel club up next, south stand almost finished. Honestly, most of the stadium was open yesterday, 1st 4th and 5th floors North, West and East stands. It's all ready to go.

Some really nice touches, the bricks from the old Shelf in the walls at either end of one of the bars, the platform at the top of the North Stand where the Cockerel will sit, the new Park Lane Kop stand is just totally epic (with longest bar in Europe), the technology is amazing (can pour 60,000 pints in 5 minutes).

They have done an amazing job recreating WHL and not just a generic bowl. When you are down by the dugout, you feel the enormity of the stadium looking up to the gods. When you are up top in the 5th tier, you feel like you are in the Colosseum in Rome.

It's going to be epic when Liverpool come to town on 15th September."
Aside from the nonsensical line about the Colusseum that's a really good summary of the experience.

Clearly this writer has ejaculated inside another human before, unlike the last.

Thank you for taking the day to research this for all of us.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I'm clearly no gardener but shouldn't the pitch already be laid down ? They usually do that early June at the Emirates so it's ready for the Cup/new season.Or are they going to use that fake mix of synthetic grass ?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm clearly no gardener but shouldn't the pitch already be laid down ? They usually do that early June at the Emirates so it's ready for the Cup/new season.Or are they going to use that fake mix of synthetic grass ?
The turf (proper grass) is being prepared elsewhere. It can be laid down in a matter of hours.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Clearly you never seen Titchmarch, it’s turf, all you need to to is lay it and role it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They will, just on deadline day or very close to it. I imagine it will be underwhelming and they won't be ready for the first 5 games anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quick question for the Spurs fans; is there as much hysterical nonsense on your forums as there is on the Caf currently given you have had a worse transfer window than United thus far?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Quick question for the Spurs fans; is there as much hysterical nonsense on your forums as there is on the Caf currently given you have had a worse transfer window than United thus far?
Yes absolutely - there will be pitchforks and flames come Thursday evening if we sign nobody.

Wotspur

You finished the season with 9 fewer points. Granted it's not always as straight forward as that, so I'd also point to my eyes determining that you appeared to be a weaker side than the previous season ;)
Yes we were 9pts worse off , but the previous season , 86 points is the highest in Prem history we’ve ever got , and in something like 7 of the previous 10 seasons would have been enough to have won the league .
We played you last year 3 times , at OT , we payed well in a dour game and you scored . At Wembley we played you off the park and you were lucky to get of so lightly with the result ( normally your following support is one of the best , that day they were deadly quiet.
In the semi , we started like a steam train and take a deserved lead, then Pogba disposed Dembélé of the ball , for an equaliser against the run of play , then we seemed to implode , never seen anything like it for a couple of years against Home opposition , and then against Juventus .

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes absolutely - there will be pitchforks and flames come Thursday evening if we sign nobody.
Phew. Thanks!

I actually think we will both make a signing before the deadline. Can see a few last minute twists in the transfer window for a few club's as no one has had a particularly productive window thus far IMO (bar Liverpool who have bolstered their squad)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I would say that its expected of you to have a bad window though. New stadium etc etc. We on the other hand have no excuses.

What you have done well is pin a number of players under new contracts though, i've lost count of how many have signed new ones. The only problem being that Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Dembele haven't signed new contacts and they all run out next season. I hadn't realised Vertonghens also runs out, that was a surprise to me this morning. What would concern me however is that Eriksen hasn't signed a new one yet and his runs out in 2020.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Phew. Thanks!

I actually think we will both make a signing before the deadline. Can see a few last minute twists in the transfer window for a few club's as no one has had a particularly productive window thus far IMO (bar Liverpool who have bolstered their squad)
I still think there is a slim chance we may do a deal between our clubs for a player moving from each team to the other... slim chance but I've no doubt it's being discussed.

TheReligion

Abusive
I still think there is a slim chance we may do a deal between our clubs for a player moving from each team to the other... slim chance but I've no doubt it's being discussed.
I think the valuations are too far apart under the circumstances.

United will want £70-80m for Martial and have no reason to accept less given he's got 2 years on his contract. He also wants big wages.

Toby is going for £25m in less than 12 months and seems happy to run his contract down.

Just can't see it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I would say that its expected of you to have a bad window though. New stadium etc etc. We on the other hand have no excuses.

What you have done well is pin a number of players under new contracts though, i've lost count of how many have signed new ones. The only problem being that Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Dembele haven't signed new contacts and they all run out next season. I hadn't realised Vertonghens also runs out, that was a surprise to me this morning. What would concern me however is that Eriksen hasn't signed a new one yet and his runs out in 2020.

I honestly thought we would spend big this window and have been left with egg on my face (so far anyway). I don't mind us not getting lots of players in as I'd much rather we get the right player instead of 3 or 4 risky ones. Alderweireld I think will go to Utd, Jan I'm confident will sign a new contract and so will Dembele (unless a bid comes in for him). Eriksen I hope will sign a new contract but who knows.

I do think we need to sign a central midfielder at the very least and somebody like a Martial (would be my dream signing) or somebody similar.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the valuations are too far apart under the circumstances.

United will want £70-80m for Martial and have no reason to accept less given he's got 2 years on his contract. He also wants big wages.

Toby is going for £25m in less than 12 months and seems happy to run his contract down.

Just can't see it.
I also think it is unlikely but if Toby leaves it will be for £50million+ so Martial could cost us another £25-30million on top which is not out of our range. I'm crossing my fingers for this one as I really rate Martial very highly and think he would be incredible for us.

TheReligion

Abusive
I also think it is unlikely but if Toby leaves it will be for £50million+ so Martial could cost us another £25-30million on top which is not out of our range. I'm crossing my fingers for this one as I really rate Martial very highly and think he would be incredible for us.
I have always been a fan of Martial but his attitude is questionable. Strolling around the pitch and not bothering to win the ball back against WBA did it for me.

Very talented no doubt and would love him to stay and consistently deliver however currently doesn't seem to have that Ronaldo like winners mentality.

As said, think United will play hardball on this one.

1) he won't go unless we have a direct replacement. Nothing seems likely on this front.

2) if he does go all the noise seems to be United won't let him stay in England.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have always been a fan of Martial but his attitude is questionable. Strolling around the pitch and not bothering to win the ball back against WBA did it for me.

Very talented no doubt and would love him to stay and consistently deliver however currently doesn't seem to have that Ronaldo like winners mentality.

As said, think United will play hardball on this one.

1) he won't go unless we have a direct replacement. Nothing seems likely on this front.

2) if he does go all the noise seems to be United won't let him stay in England.
I agree but I also think that Toby is a number 1 target for Jose and I also think that he would be willing to sell Martial to us but it's the chairman that is reluctant. Could be wrong but thats the impression I'm getting.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree but I also think that Toby is a number 1 target for Jose and I also think that he would be willing to sell Martial to us but it's the chairman that is reluctant. Could be wrong but thats the impression I'm getting.
Given Jose's moaning about transfers I don't think anyone leaves United at this point without a replacement. It would be counterproductive.

If United get linked to a wide player late on I can see Martial moving. If not he undoubtedly stays.

Think this is why United are still being linked with a few CBs as keeping options open. Also think Spurs under far more pressure to sell.

Johan07

Swap deals though: its more of a thing that are discussed/proposed at places like the Caf, but they very rarely happen. I dont know when a swap deal (at least of some importance) actually happened in the PL. With that I mean between two PL-clubs. And especially between top-six ones. I might have forgot though, and if so plz remind me. Outside of Italy swap deals seem to be more of a fan-forum/FM thing than a reality.

And I dont see us letting Martial go anyway before a replacement is secured. And I dont know if there is even a valid option on the market right now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Swap deals though: its more of a thing that are discussed/proposed at places like the Caf, but they very rarely happen. I dont know when a swap deal (at least of some importance) actually happened in the PL. With that I mean between two PL-clubs. And especially between top-six ones. I might have forgot though, and if so plz remind me. Outside of Italy swap deals seem to be more of a fan-forum/FM thing than a reality.

And I dont see us letting Martial go anyway before a replacement is secured. And I dont know if there is even a valid option on the market right now.
Sanchez/Miki last year?

Johan07

Sanchez/Miki last year?
Yeah, I thought of that one. You might argue Lukaku/Rooney also maybe.

But as far as I know these were separate transfers, at least thats how its been reported in the media and how I have seen United report it. Would Arsenal have let Sanchez go without being promised Mkhy? They might have had too. Or they might have refused. I dont know.

What I meant was that I have not seen any transfer being announced where one player has been quoted as an asset being used as payment for another player. Its just too complicated from valuation/tax/agent fees perspectives.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, I thought of that one. You might argue Lukaku/Rooney also maybe.

But as far as I know these were separate transfers, at least thats how its been reported in the media and how I have seen United report it. Would Arsenal have let Sanchez go without being promised Mkhy? They might have had too. Or they might have refused. I dont know.

What I meant was that I have not seen any transfer being announced where one player has been quoted as an asset being used as payment for another player. Its just too complicated from valuation/tax/agent fees perspectives.
I agree and that's why I think it is very unlikely to happen but I live in hope!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm sure they know what they're doing but history has regularly showed us that not freshening up a squad results in an underwhelming season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
IMHO this might be a complicated season for them for one reason: some of their key players could've been receiving double wages at other clubs, but their price tag is so huge that those transfers will not happen.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
IMHO this might be a complicated season for them for one reason: some of their key players could've been receiving double wages at other clubs, but their price tag is so huge that those transfers will not happen.
Such as? If you are referring to Toby he had a contract increase on the table which he has turned down and we will see if he moves on. Other than him? No idea who you are referring to?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Lol what?
Do you really think players motivation is the same knowing that they could be doing much more money and earning more in image rights? Do you really think that doesn't mess with them?

Oh wait... I'm sure playing their entire career in Spurs were their life's dream.

I will be proved wrogn, through :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Such as? If you are referring to Toby he had a contract increase on the table which he has turned down and we will see if he moves on. Other than him? No idea who you are referring to?
How many real life examples do you need to acknowledge that? In the end of the day I'm just speculating.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How many real life examples do you need to acknowledge that? In the end of the day I'm just speculating.
Ok but when you write it as if it's a statement of fact it's hard to take when you have nothing to back it up other than your speculation.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ok but when you write it as if it's a statement of fact it's hard to take when you have nothing to back it up other than your speculation.
I really hope my speculation will be proved wrong, because EPL needs a strong Spurs side to keep things spicy.

Just becaue there wasn't a formal offer to the club, that doesn't the players don't know how much would they earn. They know, their agents are approached way before the club with a lot of sweet talk to check if their client is keen on the deal. In the end, a lot of clubs don't reach a midterm agreement, but the player knows exactly how much money he would earn elsewhere.

I've seen countless players having form's dip due to this kind of events. It's unsettling for them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You do realise most of our players are signing new long term contracts?
That's a regular thing to do when there is interest and the offers on the table are good in terms of players salary. Every club does it either at EPL or at portguese league. How the player will react in terms of motivation is never certain, as I said, I've seen players take a form dip due to this kind of things.

But in other hand the EPL is the last cookie in the jar right now. It's where almost every player wants to be part of it. Except if there's an offer from Real or Barça, off course.

Patrick08

You do realise most of our players are signing new long term contracts, if they weren’t happy and wanted a move they wouldn’t sign.
Only assures you big fees on future sales. If big offer comes for the likes of Erikson Dembele Toby or even the goal keeper spurs cant stop them from leaving.