Spurs 2018/19

lifted

I suppose Villa were in the middle of a financial meltdown at that point so it's not that ridiculous. Now that they're turning down £25m it looks comical.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like on FM when the AI offers you 1m up front and the rest over a long period.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Depends on how highly rated Onomah is.
Don't rate him particularly highly, personally. Tidy footballer but nothing else, certainly not on the level of Grealish who was one of the best midfielders in the championship last season. It's a pretty insulting offer when you consider how key Grealish was for Villa last season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I suppose Villa were in the middle of a financial meltdown at that point so it's not that ridiculous. Now that they're turning down £25m it looks comical.
That makes it even more ridiculous, they needed money not a player who wouldn't even start for them and 3 million.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't rate him particularly highly, personally. Tidy footballer but nothing else, certainly not on the level of Grealish who was one of the best midfielders in the championship last season. It's a pretty insulting offer when you consider how key Grealish was for Villa last season.
Well you gotta start somewhere - they know Onomah so it's fair enough to offer him as part of the deal - if you value Grealish at £20-25 million (which in my view is generous) then lets say Onomah could be £10 million value(ish) so we are going in with a first low ball offer of around £13million - which for a player we value around £20 millionish isn't exactly insulting - just a cheeky first offer to a team with severe money issues. Makes sense to me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That makes it even more ridiculous, they needed money not a player who wouldn't even start for them and 3 million.
You are forgetting that Villa would not be able to use the Grealish money to buy a replacement - so offering Onomah makes sense (at that point anyway).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well you gotta start somewhere - they know Onomah so it's fair enough to offer him as part of the deal - if you value Grealish at £20-25 million (which in my view is generous) then lets say Onomah could be £10 million value(ish) so we are going in with a first low ball offer of around £13million - which for a player we value around £20 millionish isn't exactly insulting - just a cheeky first offer to a team with severe money issues. Makes sense to me.
Take your hand off it mate.

It's a fcuking insult.

AR87

It makes zero sense. Spurs were looking to capitalize on Villa's financial struggles and need for cash. Offering a worse player and 3m is an insulting and derisory offer that doesn't even have the basic incentive of money on offer. Just bid 13m instead of that.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It makes zero sense. Spurs were looking to capitalize on Villa's financial struggles and need for cash. Offering a worse player and 3m is an insulting and derisory offer that doesn't even have the basic incentive of money on offer. Just bid 13m instead of that.
Please refer to my previous post.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
In this market? Seriously? He's one of the best young English midfielders to be honest, just because he spent a year in an unglamorous league doesn't change that. He's far better than Onomah right now, and Villa's best player, so low balling them is just insulting and I don't see how it gets you anywhere. They needed money so we offer them a player they probably don't want on top of a few million?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Please refer to my previous post.
What he says covers your previous post, he's absolutely right. They didn't need/want Onomah, if you're going to lowball offer a low fee, not a player they don't want and money that doesn't at all help their situation. It makes zero sense.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In this market? Seriously? He's one of the best young English midfielders to be honest, just because he spent a year in an unglamorous league doesn't change that. He's far better than Onomah right now, and Villa's best player, so low balling them is just insulting and I don't see how it gets you anywhere. They needed money so we offer them a player they probably don't want on top of a few million?
I really do not think he is worth more than £25 million tops.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ok.

Spurs fans and their endorsement of Levy and his idiosyncratic behaviour reminds me of Americans and their treatment of the flag.
I'm just not getting caught up in all this transfer meltdown nonsense that always happens. I'd rather wait and have my meltdown once the window closes when we actually know the facts about what happened rather than jump up and down due to articles that could be bollocks. If we end up not signing Grealish tbh I wouldnt care because I don't rate him. If we do not sign any players I will be very disappointed though and will be in full meltdown mode come 5pm tomorrow.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I didn't buy into at first but Spurs really must not have any net cash to spend on players given the new stadium and the bumper contracts they have offered to Pochettino and Kane.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What he says covers your previous post, he's absolutely right. They didn't need/want Onomah, if you're going to lowball offer a low fee, not a player they don't want and money that doesn't at all help their situation. It makes zero sense.
We don't even know if that tweet is based on fact - could be nonsense - even if it is true who cares what the first offer is? What matters is the final offer.

IrishRedDevil

I'm just not getting caught up in all this transfer meltdown nonsense that always happens. I'd rather wait and have my meltdown once the window closes when we actually know the facts about what happened rather than jump up and down due to articles that could be bollocks. If we end up not signing Grealish tbh I wouldnt care because I don't rate him. If we do not sign any players I will be very disappointed though and will be in full meltdown mode come 5pm tomorrow.
A fair point. We will revisit you in 28 hours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I mean, if the offers true it's undeniably an insult. If we received it for a player we'd be fuming and Levy would refuse to do business with them ever again. The only question is whether the source is true, but if we're working on the assumption it is .. then it's not really defensible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean, if the offers true it's undeniably an insult. If we received it for a player we'd be fuming and Levy would refuse to do business with them ever again. The only question is whether the source is true, but if we're working on the assumption it is .. then it's not really defensible.
Since when does a first offer matter? Why are people even talking about it?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We don't even know if that tweet is based on fact - could be nonsense - even if it is true who cares what the first offer is? What matters is the final offer.
I said *if* its true, then it is an insulting offer. You don't open negotiations with a slap in the face, you at least begin with an offer which can be worked on.

cyberman

I know how good I think he is - what matters is how good Villa think he is and I cant answer that.
Yeah I edited it, didn't come out right.
But he's not worth 10m now, few established squad players are even worth that much

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Since when does a first offer matter? Why are people even talking about it?
Jesus christ, if United came in with an offer of 5 mill and Martial for Kane, you wouldn't be going 'that's a fecking insult, don't even reply' ???

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I said *if* its true, then it is an insulting offer. You don't open negotiations with a slap in the face, you at least begin with an offer which can be worked on.
Are you an expert in the finer details of negotiating a football transfer? I'm not. For all we know this kind of thing goes on all the time. Honestly I couldn't give two hoots what the first offer for a player was.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't rate him too highly either.

But I caught a bit of Villa last year and I think you're screwing up your Math somewhere.

Grealish = £25m-ish

So Onomah is worth £15-22m?

It's a stupid way to negotiate a transfer. The Fellaini transfer is a high watermark for me in stupidity (every stage of it) but this bid has it beat.

You probably couldn't have signed Steve Bruce out of retirement as a centre back for that bid.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What is the big deal? Honestly? Lets just see what happens.
There's no big deal, it's just an insulting way to start negotiations. You don't enter with a slap in the face to the opposing club by giving them the exact opposite of what they want (money, in this case). You're making it a big deal by trying to act like it isn't a bit of a twattish thing for Levy to do, which it obviously is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I didn't buy into at first but Spurs really must not have any net cash to spend on players given the new stadium and the bumper contracts they have offered to Pochettino and Kane.
Been saying this for months. Talk of 150m to spend was always bollocks.
Any business in their position would be looking to hold as much cash as possible.
The only way they could have spent seriously is if they raised cash through sales.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't rate him too highly either.

But I caught a bit of Villa last year and I think you're screwing up your Math somewhere.

Grealish = £25m-ish

So Onomah is worth £15-22m?

It's a retarded way to negotiate a transfer. The Fellaini transfer is a high watermark for me in stupidity (every stage of it) but this bid has it beat.

You probably couldn't have signed Steve Bruce out of retirement as a centre back for that bid.
None of us know if that information is even true but some are taking it as gospel and are more than happy to bash Levy. Like I have said - lets wait till 5pm tomorrow to decide if we messed everything up please.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's no big deal, it's just an insulting way to start negotiations. You don't enter with a slap in the face to the opposing club by giving them the exact opposite of what they want (money, in this case). You're making it a big deal by trying to act like it isn't a bit of a twattish thing for Levy to do, which it obviously is.
Why do you even care? Levy is known for his hard negotiation - is this even a surprise? It has served us well up until now so lets just see what happens.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No it hasn't.
Ok mate. I guess you missed the entire midtable mediocrity we endured for decades before Levy came in and helped to turn us into a top side. I envy you because most of my life was spent wishing we were in the place we are in now.