g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Spurs 2018/19

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Only assures you big fees on future sales. If big offer comes for the likes of Erikson Dembele Toby or even the goal keeper spurs cant stop them from leaving.
That is true of every player at virtually every club.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ehehehe. Exactly. When a player really wants to leave and starts forcing his way out, it becomes almost impossible for the club to hold him. We've all seen it happen from small to big clubs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ehehehe. Exactly. When a player really wants to leave and starts forcing his way out, it becomes almost impossible for the club to hold him. We've all seen it happen from small to big clubs.
True but right now we have no players wanting to leave other than Toby. So there is no problem.

Patrick08

But then, spurs remain as it is. Without any success, reminds me of Monaco model but Monaco has it very easy to find new talents in their country and also other talents as a whole as they make it very easy for players to grow and leave for bigger pastures, with spurs that case becomes difficult as the top 4 pressure at Spurs is way bigger than the pressure experienced at Monaco.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But then, spurs remain as it is. Without any success, reminds me of Monaco model but Monaco has it very easy to find new talents in their country and also other talents as a whole as they make it very easy for players to grow and leave for bigger pastures, with spurs that case becomes difficult as the top 4 pressure at Spurs is way bigger than the pressure experienced at Monaco.
Here we go again - same old argument that has been made every summer for the past 5 years. It is incredibly boring.

Patrick08

Here we go again - same old argument that has been made every summer for the past 5 years. It is incredibly boring.
Boring but true. Others teams are improving around you. Liverpool have, Chelsea most certainly will however that will depend on their strikers and your age old rivals Arsenal most certainly will as well with new Manager and new signings where they used to drop silly points to big teams. Spurs are in danger of getting left behind.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is not true at all. Monaco looses 3/4 star players almost every summer, Spurs manage to retain most of their valuable player, loosing one top player max. How can you make such a comparison?

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs have already made amazing progress to be where they are now. Little bit of perspective is needed people seem to forget Spurs have been in the CL like 4 times since it started in 1992 why are we talking about them like they are a big club thats underachieving? For a club that rarely ever wins anything and was a joke not long ago 3 CL in a row is massive. Still a lot more to prove before I would consider them to be a big club.

AR87

IMO Spurs really just needed to add a CM as a short and long-term replacement for Dembele and one CB this summer, 2 if Toby leaves, to improve or at least maintain the level of the squad which is very good. I'm quite surprised they have gotten no business done yet to that end.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
IMO Spurs really just needed to add a CM as a short and long-term replacement for Dembele and one CB this summer, 2 if Toby leaves, to improve or at least maintain the level of the squad which is very good. I'm quite surprised they have gotten no business done yet to that end.
I thought Lascelles from Newcastle would have been a good home grown option for them for CB.

Im waiting for the Newcastle away game to be shambolic loss like 3-0 or 4-1 or something and the Spurs fans to have a melt down. Given they are without 90% of the first team who have just got back to training from the WC. And have injuries to the usual sick notes Lamela and Winks, with Son at the Asian Cup and no transfers to add depth. It's looking like academy players and bench warmers getting a run out. Or risking injury to half fit players from the first 11.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yes we were 9pts worse off , but the previous season , 86 points is the highest in Prem history we’ve ever got , and in something like 7 of the previous 10 seasons would have been enough to have won the league .
We played you last year 3 times , at OT , we payed well in a dour game and you scored . At Wembley we played you off the park and you were lucky to get of so lightly with the result ( normally your following support is one of the best , that day they were deadly quiet.
In the semi , we started like a steam train and take a deserved lead, then Pogba disposed Dembélé of the ball , for an equaliser against the run of play , then we seemed to implode , never seen anything like it for a couple of years against Home opposition , and then against Juventus .
So your argument that you didn't get worse is that in the 3 games we played each other you lost 2 of them? Definitely one of the more unusual argument techniques, I'll give you that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's a regular thing to do when there is interest and the offers on the table are good in terms of players salary. Every club does it either at EPL or at portguese league. How the player will react in terms of motivation is never certain, as I said, I've seen players take a form dip due to this kind of things.

But in other hand the EPL is the last cookie in the jar right now. It's where almost every player wants to be part of it. Except if there's an offer from Real or Barça, off course.
Only assures you big fees on future sales. If big offer comes for the likes of Erikson Dembele Toby or even the goal keeper spurs cant stop them from leaving.
Ok lol they all want away :lol:.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ok lol they all want away :lol:.
Doesn't mean they want to get away at any cost, but more both club and player reassuring no one looses if a good offer gets rejected. It's quite common in football those kind of contract renewals.

The player knows he will earn XXXX € if his club accepts the offer for him. It's just how the market works.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Doesn't mean they want to get away at any cost, but more both club and player reassuring no one looses if a good offer gets rejected. It's quite common in football those kind of contract renewals.

The player knows he will earn XXXX € if his club accepts the offer for him. It's just how the market works.
Ok, on your way.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
May be Erikson in the future. He has'nt exactly signed a new deal yet has he?
I thought he might go this window or the next, so next window for big money to RM as their 'galactico' signing Modric replacement? Kroos, Casemiro, Eriksen midfield.

automaticflare

I thought he might go this window or the next, so next window for big money to RM as their 'galactico' signing Modric replacement? Kroos, Casemiro, Eriksen midfield.
Surprised myself that more top sides were not in for him. Super player

Patrick08

It won't be as big money as He'll have a year left on his contract. Also i think united will be interested as well which is ideal for levy to create a bidding war. May be Barca as well. But let's see Madrid will be interested or not as there are reports of Milinkovic savic.

Last edited:

Johan07

Any thoughts on how Pochettino will treat Eriksen if he doesnt renew this summer or early this season? Given the Aldeweireld situation and Pochettinos reputation only wanting to use "committed" players.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Any thoughts on how Pochettino will treat Eriksen if he doesnt renew this summer or early this season? Given the Aldeweireld situation and Pochettinos reputation only wanting to use "committed" players.
Eriksen has been utterly professional - Toby apparently has been an arse and has fallen out with the manager and the club due to playing games over his contract. From what I can tell if you cross Poch you are out.

Johan07

Eriksen has been utterly professional - Toby apparently has been an arse and has fallen out , with the manager and the club due to playing games over his contract. From what I can tell if you cross Poch you are out.
Yeah, I´m sure you know more than me about what goes on at Spurs, to be fair there is enough drama to keep up with at United.

The Aldeweireld situation has always been weird to me though. I have not seen any reports about the player being unprofessional, refusing to train or play, etc. And one could easily take the view that he is just adhering to his contract. The release clause obviusly would give him leverage going in to the latter stages of his contract. Something that should have been clear to the club when they agreed to those terms originally.

If these reports are true of him being frozen out essentially with two and a half years left on his contract because of him not wanting to renew or get rid of a release clause that the club itself agreed to; I personally would blame the club, not the player

But as you point out: there can be much more that has been going on behind the scenes.

Objectively though: I dont think how Spurs have handled this situation reflects very well on them. Or Poch for that matter.

EDIT: I guess I am wondering how Toby has crossed Poch and what those actions have been and if its about something else than the contract itself. Again: which both parties agreed to.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, I´m sure you know more than me about what goes on at Spurs, to be fair there is enough drama to keep up with at United.

The Aldeweireld situation has always been weird to me though. I have not seen any reports about the player being unprofessional, refusing to train or play, etc. And one could easily take the view that he is just adhering to his contract. The release clause obviusly would give him leverage going in to the latter stages of his contract. Something that should have been clear to the club when they agreed to those terms originally.

If these reports are true of him being frozen out essentially with two and a half years left on his contract because of him not wanting to renew or get rid of a release clause that the club itself agreed to; I personally would blame the club, not the player

But as you point out: there can be much more that has been going on behind the scenes.

Objectively though: I dont think how Spurs have handled this situation reflects very well on them. Or Poch for that matter.
The talk is that Poch backed Toby to the hilt and helped convince Levy to push the boat out on the new contract which was a significant improvement on his current one. Toby after all that then turned down the contract offer and stated he wanted either a much better one or he would leave the club, which Poch took as a slap in the face after bending over backwards for him. That is the rumour anyway.

In my opinion it is Toby who this reflects badly on not the club or the manager - if he had given assurances to Poch that he would sign but then refused after Poch putting his head in the firing line to convince Levy then feck Toby.

Johan07

The talk is that Poch backed Toby to the hilt and helped convince Levy to push the boat out on the new contract which was a significant improvement on his current one. Toby after all that then turned down the contract offer and stated he wanted either a much better one or he would leave the club, which Poch took as a slap in the face after bending over backwards for him. That is the rumour anyway.
OK, thx, you replied to my EDIT there even before I had time to post it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Poch unearth another couple of gems from the youngsters this season. Think a few of them have impressed during preseason

AR87

In my opinion it is Toby who this reflects badly on not the club or the manager - if he had given assurances to Poch that he would sign but then refused after Poch putting his head in the firing line to convince Levy then feck Toby.
It was an improvement on his contract, but perhaps it wasn't the number he was looking for. I can understand Poch being upset, but I don't think it reflects poorly on either in this case. I'd feel differently if I didn't think Toby was one of the 3 best CBs in the league.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Poch unearth another couple of gems from the youngsters this season. Think a few of them have impressed during preseason
This is what we have to hope. It's a very risky wait to go about things, but we're going to have to cross our fingers and rely on some of our youth to step up and serve as squad players next season. I'm excited to see how they do but also concerned that we're going to be placing too much pressure on them than is really fair at this point in their careers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That reads as though he has a history of doing it at Spurs? Other than Kane and Winks I cant think of any and even then Kane had already played for Spurs before Poch and Winks has by no means been first choice

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It was an improvement on his contract, but perhaps it wasn't the number he was looking for. I can understand Poch being upset, but I don't think it reflects poorly on either in this case. I'd feel differently if I didn't think Toby was one of the 3 best CBs in the league.
Yeah, I don't really hold any animosity towards Toby, we'll get a solid fee for him and he was a fantastic defender for us. If he feels he deserves more money it's his right to go out and pursue that, clubs are willing to pay more and he's a player entering in to his thirties, perfectly reasonable to be looking to be getting a big contract while he can. We showed he's not irreplacable last season, and whilst I'd rather a deal had been done earlier (so we could replace him) it's not the worst situation we could be in.

The real question is, if he is sold, will Levy re-invest the money and then some on top? Doubtful, for me. Looks like we're still in our 'sell to buy' situation which many said would be over after a period of austerity, to me it definitely looks like we're facing an Arsenal situation, but hopefully can handle it better. The theory that Levy would 'splash the cash' to mark the new stadium/era is looking less and less likely now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
From what I understand there was an agreement between the manager and player as to what would work for him and Poch personally lobbied for Levy to agree to it. Then Toby backtracked and turned it down. Like you said I guess he is within his rights to do whatever he wants but he let the manager down doing that and that is why he will likely be leaving.

AR87

From what I understand there was an agreement between the manager and player as to what would work for him and Poch personally lobbied for Levy to agree to it. Then Toby backtracked and turned it down. Like you said I guess he is within his rights to do whatever he wants but he let the manager down doing that and that is why he will likely be leaving.
Fair enough. I think the market for CBs and overall likely changed so much between when him and Poch had that conversation and when Poch got Levy to approve an improved contract for Toby that it changed what he felt he deserved, which was wage parity with the best central defenders in the league.

Either way I'm curious to see who Levy brings in at CB for depth if/when Toby leaves.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That reads as though he has a history of doing it at Spurs? Other than Kane and Winks I cant think of any and even then Kane had already played for Spurs before Poch and Winks has by no means been first choice

He was very much in contention. He started at the Bernabau and in a number of key games and whilst he wasn't one of the first names of the team sheet, he was certainly an important player for us and starting plenty of matches. His season was derailed by a bad injury, but it's very possible he could have nailed down a starting spot by the end of the season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Given what you pay your players, there's a decent chance that his wage demands weren't unreasonable by the standards of what equivalent players are earning at other clubs.

Ie. I think it would be fair enough for him to say "I should be the 5th highest paid centreback in the league."

I'd be mightily surprised if he is anywhere near.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Given what you pay your players, there's a decent chance that his wage demands weren't unreasonable by the standards of what equivalent players are earning at other clubs.

Ie. I think it would be fair enough for him to say "I should be the 5th highest paid centreback in the league."

I'd be mightily surprised if he is anywhere near.
His new contract was a substantial improvement to what he is currently on and I've no doubt would have been competitive to what he could get elsewhere - we no longer pay crap wages which is why the likes of Kane, etc. have signed new contracts.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I thought this was going to be a splashing the cash make a statement window from Spurs? Glaston's sophistry almost had me believing all financing of the stadium was paid for and would not impact transfers and Poch would be wading into this window with 50mil plus additional funds from departures.

Looks more like a 'hold onto what we have because we are broke paying off shiny new stadium' window thus far. This late in the xfer window how many ins/outs would Spurs be looking at, assuming they will get Grealish across the line and sell Toby? Dembele and Rose still being sold? No takers? Llorente backup striker for another season?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I thought this was going to be a splashing the cash make a statement window from Spurs? Glaston's sophistry almost had me believing all financing of the stadium was paid for and would not impact transfers and Poch would be wading into this window with 50mil plus additional funds from departures.

Looks more like a 'hold onto what we have because we are broke paying off shiny new stadium' window thus far. This late in the xfer window how many ins/outs would Spurs be looking at, assuming they will get Grealish across the line and sell Toby? Dembele and Rose still being sold? No takers? Llorente backup striker for another season?

Funny how the Levy apologists are now keen to stress the stadium repayments and 'investment in the future' as why we're not spending money. Vast majority of them beforehand were so sure it wouldn't have an impact. To be honest, those of us who know Daniel Levy always had a suspicion the early window optimism was misplaced, I admit to some hope that this window would be different and that he would want to make a statement, but I was always a little wary due to Levy's nature.

We'll probably end up selling Toby and just signing Grealish, so a negative net spend and less wages. Which is a bit of a disgrace considering the early promise and Pochettino's open requests, but oh well. It's pretty clear to me the situation is this: Levy knows Pochettino is a fantastic manager who is capable of keeping this side in the top four regardless of backing. As long as the squad is kept together we can keep making that top four, and in that situation Levy is delighted because financially it's great, we spend absolutely nothing on players every window (or actually make money net wise) but Pochettino has a good enough squad to keep us up there. Why make the extra push to challenge for the title or win a trophy? Not worth the risk. He's a money man, not a glory chaser.

The stadium etc is all with future planning in mind, Levy knows it increases the value of the club and gives us extra revenue. He'll spend when he knows it will benefit him financially in the long term, not out of any love for the club or interest in its sporting success (beyond keeping it competitive so the revenue stays at a steady level). Problem with this strategy is that long term a lack of ambition will lead you to drop lower and lower, it may take time as it did for Arsenal, but eventually your top players will get tired of not winning trophies. Pochettino too may become frustrated with the lack of ambition shown, and move on, and again this would be disastrous as it would probably be coupled with key players also wanting out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs fans apart from the lad at Villa are you being linked heavily with anyone?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs fans apart from the lad at Villa are you being linked heavily with anyone?
No. We've had some minor links to the likes of Zaha and Ndombele throughout the window, but nothing solid aside from Grealish. He's been the only consistent link which seems to have any traction.