Spurs 2018/19

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So when Pochettino in May said this:

“I repeat from my last press conference – today, 100% I feel that I am here. But the most important thing is that tomorrow all can change because it’s not in my hands.”
“I have very clear ideas of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not. We are going to talk next week to create the new project. It is a little bit up to Daniel and the club to agree with us.
“If we want to be real contenders for big trophies, we need to review a little bit the thing. We need to create dreams that will be possible to achieve. Maybe we are a bit disappointed and frustrated because now we are close [to trophies].
“I think Daniel is going to listen to me, of course. You need to be brave. Being brave is the most important thing and take risks. I think it’s a moment that the club needs to take risks and tries to work, if possible, harder than the previous season to be competitive again, because every season will be more difficult."

And here we are in near august and Levy has done the exact opposite and Pochettino says he doesn't know if any signings will be made - This is to you the two of them being completely on the same page?
So you think Levy and Poch don’t talk personally and that this one interview is what everyone falls back on? It BS, the market is absolutely fecked which only really came to light since that said interview. £50M for Richarlison is a perfect example. Go look at the other interviews where Poch has said he wants to do things differently, not blowing wads of cash on average players. If Poch was that unhappy with Levy he would come out and say so, he doesn’t have a problem speaking his mind. Your simply making things up in your head to suit your agenda, when Poch speaks publically about his dissatisfaction il start to worry.

It’s going back to the old rhetoric that simply signing players means you have improved which is just media hype that people buy into, it’s not the quality it’s the quality. I’m still pretty confident we will make signings, but it won’t be till closer to deadline day.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
To be fair, the Spurs fans should be panicking more than us, we can still sustain a year out of top4 financially but with the new stadium and the fact that Spurs have so far failed to find any Stadium deal, they'll be in quite a bit shit if they don't qualify for top4. Pochettino has made them a force but even us has improved our squad from last season. Spurs haven't.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair, the Spurs fans should be panicking more than us, we can still sustain a year out of top4 financially but with the new stadium and the fact that Spurs have so far failed to find any Stadium deal, they'll be in quite a bit shit if they don't qualify for top4. Pochettino has made them a force but even us has improved our squad from last season. Spurs haven't.
No naming or sponsoring of the stadium would be made public until the stadium was 110% gauranteed would be finished on time, would be horribly bad PR for the sponsoring company.

The only team I see that has really strengthen this summer is Liverpool, Chelsea are likely to lose both their talisman and the best keeper in the league, behind de Gea, you signed Fred, City are well City and Arsenal are an absolute lottery who again are likely to lose their best midfielder. Too much media hype the the transfer window.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So when Pochettino in May said this:

“I repeat from my last press conference – today, 100% I feel that I am here. But the most important thing is that tomorrow all can change because it’s not in my hands.”
“I have very clear ideas of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not. We are going to talk next week to create the new project. It is a little bit up to Daniel and the club to agree with us.
“If we want to be real contenders for big trophies, we need to review a little bit the thing. We need to create dreams that will be possible to achieve. Maybe we are a bit disappointed and frustrated because now we are close [to trophies].
“I think Daniel is going to listen to me, of course. You need to be brave. Being brave is the most important thing and take risks. I think it’s a moment that the club needs to take risks and tries to work, if possible, harder than the previous season to be competitive again, because every season will be more difficult."

And here we are in near august and Levy has done the exact opposite and Pochettino says he doesn't know if any signings will be made - This is to you the two of them being completely on the same page?
You are translating being "brave" and taking "risks" into "spending lots of money on new players", when Pochettino could have meant several other things. For example, he might have meant:

* Rely on my ability to bring through players from our youth ranks into successful senior squad members. And ...

* Break the old wages structure to ensure we keep our best players.

Concerning the first point, a year ago, Pochettino said: "We work in a different way. … For me, it's better to play with younger players who come through the academy so you can improve them and after that their motivation is always higher. We need quality, and players with the facility to fight with our number one and to try to help them push their level. That is the key."

In our two recent friendlies, against Roma and Barca, we've had several young players on display all of whom did well in those games. I wouldn't rule out 1, 2 or even 3 of them being elevated into the senior squad this season.

And relying on such a strategy to a large extent would certainly be taking risks and being brave.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No naming or sponsoring of the stadium would be made public until the stadium was 110% gauranteed would be finished on time, would be horribly bad PR for the sponsoring company....
Not only this. It's not even necessary that we sell the naming rights inside the stadium's first year of operation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure why anyone expected anything other than the summer it has been for Spurs, it's the same pretty much every year - leave it as late as possible and feed off of the desperation (both in terms of buying and selling) and certainly don't expect any marquee names even then

acnumber9

Yes, I’m sure that a prospective sponsor wouldn’t want their name in the media for as long as possible and Spurs won’t want income as soon as possible. That’s definitely what is happening.

KM

No naming or sponsoring of the stadium would be made public until the stadium was 110% gauranteed would be finished on time, would be horribly bad PR for the sponsoring company.

The only team I see that has really strengthen this summer is Liverpool, Chelsea are likely to lose both their talisman and the best keeper in the league, behind de Gea, you signed Fred, City are well City and Arsenal are an absolute lottery who again are likely to lose their best midfielder. Too much media hype the the transfer window.
"you signed Fred" - is that some kind of derisory post? How many times have you seen him play. He'll improve our squad no doubt. Chelsea are likely to lose Courtois but if you think they're also losing Hazard then I'm afraid you're living in some kind of la-la land.

Again though as B20 said it seems clear to me that who're the supporters of the club and who are the Levy stooges in this thread. I personally find it bonkers that there are any Spurs fans who are not panicking over their inability in the transfer market.

KM

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yes, I’m sure that a prospective sponsor wouldn’t want their name in the media for as long as possible and Spurs won’t want income as soon as possible. That’s definitely what is happening.
If a 20 year deal starts in 6 months or a year from now, it still lasts 20 years. It isn't magically extended by starting tomorrow.

Of course Spurs want income as soon as possible. But we also want the most income we can get … which isn't necessarily gained by accepting the first offer tabled.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Also get used to fans calling the stadium by the first name when it actually does it get a sponsor. That's why Emirates went early with Arsenal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I personally find it bonkers that there are any Spurs fans who are not panicking over their inability in the transfer market.
Depends on their aspirations, there's not too many supporters out there who genuinely feel their side can challenge City or win the UCL and Spurs have shown they have a team capable of finishing top 4 so why would they panic? I would imagine most Spurs supporters will be happy with another top 4 finish and maybe a domestic cup win and they're already setup to do both. The panic would be if Kane or Eriksen were to leave I'd imagine

KM

Depends on their aspirations, there's not too many supporters out there who genuinely feel their side can challenge City or win the UCL and Spurs have shown they have a team capable of finishing top 4 so why would they panic? I would imagine most Spurs supporters will be happy with another top 4 finish and maybe a domestic cup win and they're already setup to do both. The panic would be if Kane or Eriksen were to leave I'd imagine
They've got a top class manager like Pochettino, they should be doing everything to provide him with the right tools to challenge for the title. As I see it, they've got 3-4 absolute world class players, just need to sign 2-3 right players for them to be equipped as title challengers. Personally I don't think Spurs fans will settle just for top4 and neither will Pochettino considering his interviews at the end of the season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
"you signed Fred" - is that some kind of derisory post? How many times have you seen him play. He'll improve our squad no doubt. Chelsea are likely to lose Courtois but if you think they're also losing Hazard then I'm afraid you're living in some kind of la-la land.

Again though as B20 said it seems clear to me that who're the supporters of the club and who are the Levy stooges in this thread. I personally find it bonkers that there are any Spurs fans who are not panicking over their inability in the transfer market.
No I rate Fred, I said you signed Fred because, well, you signed Fred. Your posts always come across quite aggressive and I don’t know why really. Hazard wants the move, if he wants it that bad he will get the move, I don’t see how that’s La La land, but suit yourself.

Somebody should have told that to Emirates too, considering they signed their deal in 2004 to be Arsenal's stadium naming partner when the stadium wasn't due to open in 2006.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3715678.stm
It’s hardly the same situation, the time scales at the NWHL were always tight with a possibility of it over running. And I’m not panicking because the transfer window isn’t over.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
"... I personally find it bonkers that there are any Spurs fans who are not panicking over their inability in the transfer market.
Inactivity is not the same as inability.

Moreover, the same thing has been said about Spurs before. Like last season, for example, when we sold Walker and didn't sign any players who seemed immediately destined for our first XI.

But within a short time it was clear that Trippier had ably replaced Walker, and Davinson Sanchez became part of out first XI.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Moreover, the same thing has been said about Spurs before. Like last season, for example, when we sold Walker and didn't sign any players who seemed immediately destined for our first XI.

But within a short time it was clear that Trippier had ably replaced Walker, and Davinson Sanchez became part of out first XI.
Yeah and Trippier was a terrible replacement, yet low and behold there is a thread on him in the transfer forum with United fans wanting to sign him.

KM

Not really, Pochettino was grooming Trippier long before Walker was sold. It was clear that he was going to be the replacement of Walker.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah and Trippier was a terrible replacement, yet low and behold there is a thread on him in the transfer forum with United fans wanting to sign him.
To be fair, there were several United fans on here (myself included) who pointed out last Summer that Trippier was more than capable of taking over the RB position and had looked better than Walker. It was always clear to those who watched him play that Trippier looked class.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair, there were several United fans on here (myself included) who pointed out last Summer that Trippier was more than capable of taking over the RB position and had looked better than Walker. It was always clear to those who watched him play that Trippier looked class.
I agree there were a few but also a few that said he was nowhere good enough.

cyberman

Nah, there were plenty of posters last Summer who said that Trippier was worse than Walker and selling him was a big mistake and Spurs would regret it.
To be fair, one doesn't rule out the other.
Their fullbacks was a problem for them last year if I remember correctly.

Robbie Boy

Nah, there were plenty of posters last Summer who said that Trippier was worse than Walker and selling him was a big mistake and Spurs would regret it.
He was still rated. If people rated Walker higher, then fair enough, I mean he is a pretty good player.

acnumber9

If a 20 year deal starts in 6 months or a year from now, it still lasts 20 years. It isn't magically extended by starting tomorrow.

Of course Spurs want income as soon as possible. But we also want the most income we can get … which isn't necessarily gained by accepting the first offer tabled.
You don’t think it will follow the football calendar? How many stadium sponsors change mid season?

You’re right, but a while ago you and Spurs were very confident world record deals would be on the table for this. Looks like they haven’t had that £40m a year offer yet.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not really, Pochettino was grooming Trippier long before Walker was sold. It was clear that he was going to be the replacement of Walker.
The point is that last summer many oppo fans were saying on here that Trippier would be a big down-grade, and pointing to our wider lack of signings of new first XI players as a predictors of forthcoming doom in comparison to our big-spending rivals.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be fair, one doesn't rule out the other.
Their fullbacks was a problem for them last year if I remember correctly.
Doesn't really matter as they were always going to sign quality. Granted Walker was a very good option for them but Trippier had already replaced him at that point so it wasn't really going to cause Spurs any problems by selling him. They did also get top dollar for him which is perfect scenario really. It was win, win for both clubs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You don’t think it will follow the football calendar? How many stadium sponsors change mid season?

You’re right, but a while ago you and Spurs were very confident world record deals would be on the table for this. Looks like they haven’t had that £40m a year offer yet.
The 6 months thing was just a figure of speech - no need to take it literally. In any case, we not talking about a change of sponsor, we're talking about the first one ever.

Re. the "world record deals", I think I mentioned £400m spread over 20 years as the club's aim (that's £20m per year, not £40m). I see no reason why this can't be achieved.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nah lads we're doing fine. Still winning that net spend contest and the new stadium is going to look lovely. Can't wait for Glenn Murray to sign on deadline day after we bid 30 mill for Zaha and Levy gets told to piss off.

cyberman

The 6 months thing was just a figure of speech - no need to take it literally. In any case, we not talking about a change of sponsor, we're talking about the first one ever.

Re. the "world record deals", I think I mentioned £400m spread over 20 years as the club's aim (that's £20m per year, not £40m). I see no reason why this can't be achieved.
Nah, you claimed 20m was conservative and 40m was the number you were aiming for

Murray3007

There board probably in the same situation as us, have gave him money but they signings aint been very good, last couple seasons spurs signings have been pretty poor. not sure who there all linked with just now but seen jack grealish linked and quite simply he aint going to take spurs up a level. there needing top players now for me. always think they seem to struggle to fit alli and Erickson in to the team together both players best position seems to be the 10 role. which obviously they both cant play in.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Pochettino is complaining about the transfer window being closed early for English clubs when his own club voted for it!

Nah lads we're doing fine. Still winning that net spend contest and the new stadium is going to look lovely. Can't wait for Glenn Murray to sign on deadline day after we bid 30 mill for Zaha and Levy gets told to piss off.
You're funny, I like you Squishy :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's weird how so many of the spurs fans here are boardroom fans, tallying their financial victories and siding with Levy over Pochettino.

They should be up in arms. If their off pitch investments are costing them their best chance of competing for titles in decades, the boardroom is making wrong decisions.
Quite a few would find absolutely any reason to excuse Levy's lack of investment in to the squad and failure to give the manager who actually got us in to the top four the tools to make us step up. If we hadn't struck lucky with Pochettino (After the disastrous appointment of AVB) we'd still be milling about around the top 6, and will go back to that if we lose him, which we will unless Levy pulls his finger out and starts accepting that the market has changed and that we need to accept that or not compete. Waiting until deadline day is not going to change the fact clubs will demand big money, the more desperate we get the better a position they are placed in.

I don't think some Spurs fans realise how precarious our position is. One season outside of the top four and Pochettino could be off, and then you're looking at a number of irreplacable key players also wanting out. It's a far bigger financial risk to go 'throw some kids in, they'll do it' rather than invest in a couple of key positions and actually be ready for the coming season. We need top four for the forseeable future but we're not going to keep making it if the board stops spending money. Just because Pochettino isn't ripping Levy apart in the press does not mean he's not happy with the window (Of course he's unhappy, everything he asked for has been entirely ignored) and we badly need to step it up, because right now we're headed in to the new season with a number of problems.

Back our fecking manager, he's our future not Levy. He's the one who transformed a number of players in the squad and turned AVB's football in to the best I've ever seen as a Spurs fan. He's the one adored by the players and the reason many of them actually want to play for us. I mean for god sake before he dealt with the mess our squad had become (Levy had completely lost control after unfairly sacking Redknapp and hiring a charlatan) we were losing 5-0 to Liverpool at home and Jon flanagan was scoring against us. JON FLANAGAN. So you'll forgive me if I back our actual football manager over a money man whose interest is purely in turning our club in to a cash cow rather than actually winning games and trophies. He's not the worst chairman around, far from it, but he's also not worthy of worshipping.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Well, we are doing fine.

We've become an established top 4 club and put together one of the most valuable squads in the Prem, even whilst investing close to £1 billion into the new stadium complex and new training centre. And all this without racking up excessive debt. It's a remarkable achievement.

And the new stadium is going to do more than just "look lovely". It will boost our income by a large amount each season for decades to come.

Your doom and gloom is IMO just short-sighted. And even then, despite your confident pessimism re. the rest of the transfer window, you don't actually know for sure what will happen. As I've said before, why don't you wait until after the window has closed before pronouncing judgment?

Moreover, so far we not lost a single one of our best players, and have tied down several - plus Pochettino - to long-term contracts, with more to come.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Quite a few would find absolutely any reason to excuse Levy's lack of investment in to the squad and failure to give the manager who actually got us in to the top four the tools to make us step up. If we hadn't struck lucky with Pochettino (After the disastrous appointment of AVB) we'd still be milling about around the top 6, and will go back to that if we lose him, which we will unless Levy pulls his finger out and starts accepting that the market has changed and that we need to accept that or not compete. Waiting until deadline day is not going to change the fact clubs will demand big money, the more desperate we get the better a position they are placed in.

I don't think some Spurs fans realise how precarious our position is. One season outside of the top four and Pochettino could be off, and then you're looking at a number of irreplacable key players also wanting out. It's a far bigger financial risk to go 'throw some kids in, they'll do it' rather than invest in a couple of key positions and actually be ready for the coming season. We need top four for the forseeable future but we're not going to keep making it if the board stops spending money. Just because Pochettino isn't ripping Levy apart in the press does not mean he's not happy with the window (Of course he's unhappy, everything he asked for has been entirely ignored) and we badly need to step it up, because right now we're headed in to the new season with a number of problems.

Back our fecking manager, he's our future not Levy. He's the one who transformed a number of players in the squad and turned AVB's football in to the best I've ever seen as a Spurs fan. He's the one adored by the players and the reason many of them actually want to play for us. I mean for god sake before he dealt with the mess our squad had become (Levy had completely lost control after unfairly sacking Redknapp and hiring a charlatan) we were losing 5-0 to Liverpool at home and Jon flanagan was scoring against us. JON FLANAGAN. So you'll forgive me if I back our actual football manager over a money man whose interest is purely in turning our club in to a cash cow rather than actually winning games and trophies. He's not the worst chairman around, far from it, but he's also not worthy of worshipping.
Unfairly sacking Redknapp? The guy who was whoring himself for the England job when he should have been concentrating on the club paying him, come on mate Harry, as much as I liked him at Spurs, made his own problems. The whole “some of our fans ignore Levy’s problems” is bullshit, I can give you a very long list of mistakes he hasn’t made, I’m just wise enough to appreciate what he has done we were incredably close to the shit when ENIC took over and could have very well been in the same situation is Villa or Leeds, but some fans totally ignore that. It’s just typical football fan thinking.

acnumber9

Six months or six days the principle remains the same. Any deal is likely to take them to the end of a season. In which case the sooner the better for sponsors. The point about change was if you sign a deal in September 18 it’s unlikely to be replaced mid season in 2038.

£20m a year or £40m a year it’s still a world record deal. You’d think that if that offer had been received it would’ve been announced by now.