Spurs 2018/19

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Do you think Spurs should be more active in the window, and are there any areas of the team you'd like to see improved? Lloris is a bit hit and miss isn't he?
I always reserve judgements on transfer windows until after they've closed … and, unlike a fair few people, I don't see them as a race to see who can sign the most new players or spend the most money.

They key area for us to strengthen IMO is CM, because even if Dembele stays this summer he's not really capable any more of playing lots and lots of games. So Grealish to develop for the future plus one proven quality CM to come straight into the CM (or compete with Dembele if he stays) would be great.

Lloris is fine - a top 4 keeper who has just captained his team to the World Cup: without him we could do a lot worse and probably not much better.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I always reserve judgements on transfer windows until after they've closed … and, unlike a fair few people, I don't see them as a race to see who can sign the most new players or spend the most money.

They key area for us to strengthen IMO is CM, because even if Dembele stays this summer he's not really capable any more of playing lots and lots of games. So Grealish to develop for the future plus one proven quality CM to come straight into the CM (or compete with Dembele if he stays) would be great.

Lloris is fine - a top 4 keeper who has just captained his team to the World Cup: without him we could do a lot worse and probably not much better.
So if you get Grealish and one proven CM would you then expect a title challenge and say an FA Cup this year?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Can any team 'expect' a title challenge with City in the league? You're basically just hoping they don't have a season like the last, because I don't see any other team being capable of anywhere close to that points tally.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Can any team 'expect' a title challenge with City in the league? You're basically just hoping they don't have a season like the last, because I don't see any other team being capable of anywhere close to that points tally.
I don't think they'll reach 100 points again. They're more likely to be closer to the 90 point mark in my opinion.

It's more a question of whether or not anyone else can get close to them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think they'll reach 100 points again. They're more likely to be closer to the 90 point mark in my opinion.

Possibly, but at the moment I'd say they're so far ahead of everyone that no other club can do much except cross their fingers and hope they aren't as good. Expecting anything more (especially considering just how far away from them we finished last season) would be a tad on the optimistic side. It would take a pretty big transformation for us to hit that level, especially on the basis of just signing a new CM and Grealish.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool

All 3 behind City have claims to definitely achieve more pts this season coming, however, i highly doubt anyones getting 90pts+

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So if you get Grealish and one proven CM would you then expect a title challenge and say an FA Cup this year?
I said CM was IMO the key area to strengthen, but that doesn't mean we can't or won't also strengthen in other area too … although some of that depends on whether Alderweireld stays or goes. For example, we could do with sign a player like Martial or Zaha, not least to provide alternative attacking formations if Kane gets injured for any length of time.

I doubt we'll challenge for the title, given City's current dominance. And it's foolish for any club to 'expect' to win the FA cup, when so much depends on the luck of the draw and when there are at least 6 strong teams in the mix.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Grealish is wank.
Villa fans seem to think he's excellent, and whenever I caught any of their games last season, he clearly stood out. Was particularly good when Villa smashed Wolves 4-1, easily the best midfielder on the pitch in that game despite Neves playing. I don't think anybody considers him the finished article but I'd say 'wank' is very harsh considering his technical ability and the fact he really did step up last season. People may dismiss the championship but it's a tough league and he did well to bounce back after pretty much being written off as a wasted talent. I definitely think he's one Poch could work with.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I said CM was IMO the key area to strengthen, but that doesn't mean we can't or won't also strengthen in other area too … although some of that depends on whether Alderweireld stays or goes. For example, we could do with sign a player like Martial or Zaha, not least to provide alternative attacking formations if Kane gets injured for any length of time.

I doubt we'll challenge for the title, given City's current dominance. And it's foolish for any club to 'expect' to win the FA cup, when so much depends on the luck of the draw and when there are at least 6 strong teams in the mix.
That's fair enough re the transfers. Alderweireld staying would be a big plus considering how close he looked to be to leaving. I don't think United will sell a player with as much potential to Spurs or anyone in the top six. It'd be disastrous for the club if he went on to have an amazing season with one of their rivals.

Do you think Pochettino is capable of getting Spurs to a point where they can compete for the title? That to me usually means being able to get 85-90 points.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you think Pochettino is capable of getting Spurs to a point where they can compete for the title? That to me usually means being able to get 85-90 points.
Spurs had 86 points just a season ago (2016-17) and finished 2nd. So yes, I think Pochettino is capable of getting Spurs to that point.

In the current league situation, I think you realistically need 90+ to win a title now though.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
A few teams are capable of go on a title winning run, and injuries/form permitting Spurs are one of those teams, but we seem less likely than imo 3 other teams. We definitely have the personnel but per now it looks unlikely. I'll be like any fan though and believe we can go on a run, and with confidence luck comes along and who knows, IF we get ahead it's a wave it is possible to ride if the group stay injury free and sharp. There are plenty of things in football that can't be predicted before the season starts.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Spurs have a fantastic first team and Poch is capable of getting them to compete for title. However if I am correct their squad is quite small and most of their first team player had a long run in the world which could hamper their chances this season. I still feel they will be there in top 4 by season end but not sure if they'll compete for title this season.

Dolf

Possibly, but at the moment I'd say they're so far ahead of everyone that no other club can do much except cross their fingers and hope they aren't as good. Expecting anything more (especially considering just how far away from them we finished last season) would be a tad on the optimistic side. It would take a pretty big transformation for us to hit that level, especially on the basis of just signing a new CM and Grealish.
It's still football though. Anything can happen. A dip in form and a long term injury for De Bruyne can do a lot of damage. Not that I would wish that on KDB, just saying anything can happen. If you guys step up and have some consistency I can see you, Liverpool and us stay close to City for a good few months and after that you never know.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They can challenge but like someome said it's going to take 90 + points these days. The quality at the top end has increased drastically.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's still football though. Anything can happen. A dip in form and a long term injury for De Bruyne can do a lot of damage. Not that I would wish that on KDB, just saying anything can happen. If you guys step up and have some consistency I can see you, Liverpool and us stay close to City for a good few months and after that you never know.
Sure, but that's what I mean, you're relying on it 'just being football' with this City team being in the league. I don't think any team at this point can expect a challenge without knowing if City will replicate last season, because if they are as strong it's practically impossible to do so.

Valent

Supports
Liverpool
Where do Tottenham fans realistically see themselves finishing? I reckon anywhere between 2-5. I think they have a fantastic first 11 on paper but the squad looks thin.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Where do Tottenham fans realistically see themselves finishing? I reckon anywhere between 2-5. I think they have a fantastic first 11 on paper but the squad looks thin.
This is the thing. Making predictions before this season is incredibly difficult, you can have a shot in the dark but you are making a lot of assumptions. Will Liverpool be as improved on the pitch as you'd expect from the signings they have made? Will Chelsea improve significantly under Sarri, will City replicate their success etc? How will United get on in a third season, will the likes of Pogba and Lukaku step up to world cup form? Then you have our own questions and worries, many of which have been expressed in this thread. Even Arsenal under Emery are a dark horse, they could be revitalized under a manager who isn't tactically inept and Aubameyang, Ozil, Lacazette etc are incredible dangerous players in their own right.

I honestly have no idea, I put 5th in the prediction thread but I feel that was somewhat negative. This team has proven itself capable of making top four repeatedly and most fans expect us to do that, but it's so difficult with how competitive the league is at the moment, for me I'd say we can't really make any accurate predictions till the transfer window is over. If we have a late flurry my expectations could be changed, who knows? You're right about the squad being thin, we need a few players (especially in midfield) to cover that, and maybe it'll be addressed with a couple of weeks to go, though I doubt it.

I'd guess that realistically most fans would say anywhere in the top four, where exactly doesn't really matter so much other than for pride. Anything more (such as a title challenge) is entirely dependent on Manchester City not reaching the same levels they did last season, as we simply aren't capable of that in any realistic scenario.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
This is the thing. Making predictions before this season is incredibly difficult, you can have a shot in the dark but you are making a lot of assumptions. Will Liverpool be as improved on the pitch as you'd expect from the signings they have made? Will Chelsea improve significantly under Sarri, will City replicate their success etc? How will United get on in a third season, will the likes of Pogba and Lukaku step up to world cup form? Then you have our own questions and worries, many of which have been expressed in this thread. Even Arsenal under Emery are a dark horse, they could be revitalized under a manager who isn't tactically inept and Aubameyang, Ozil, Lacazette etc are incredible dangerous players in their own right.

I honestly have no idea, I put 5th in the prediction thread but I feel that was somewhat negative. This team has proven itself capable of making top four repeatedly and most fans expect us to do that, but it's so difficult with how competitive the league is at the moment, for me I'd say we can't really make any accurate predictions till the transfer window is over. If we have a late flurry my expectations could be changed, who knows? You're right about the squad being thin, we need a few players (especially in midfield) to cover that, and maybe it'll be addressed with a couple of weeks to go, though I doubt it.

I'd guess that realistically most fans would say anywhere in the top four, where exactly doesn't really matter so much other than for pride. Anything more (such as a title challenge) is entirely dependent on Manchester City not reaching the same levels they did last season, as we simply aren't capable of that in any realistic scenario.
100% agree here, the top4 and title race is very hard to judge this year....out of interest, would you say due to the stadium investment, Spurs will be going through a spell like Arsenal did where they couldn't invest as heavily in the squad and top4 in general is what they look to achieve?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
100% agree here, the top4 and title race is very hard to judge this year....out of interest, would you say due to the stadium investment, Spurs will be going through a spell like Arsenal did where they couldn't invest as heavily in the squad and top4 in general is what they look to achieve?
I think so, yes. Some fans on here will certainly disagree with me on this point, however. I do believe that the board will be putting us through a period of sell to buy and we risk actually dropping out of the top four as a result as the top four is more competitive than ever, and to merely try and remain as you are is extremely dangerous. The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City and Arsenal will all be constantly looking to improve themselves and you have to maintain a competitive attitude, rather than just looking to tread water. I think the board would be perfectly content to sit on top four for the forseeable future as it would be financially beneficial, and I don't expect them to make a significant investment in the squad unless we drop out, the issue there being is by then it may be too late as losing European football would likely cause a couple of key players to leave.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think Spurs have to be considered to be the best team in London. Probably a somewhat controversial prediction, but I personally think it will be a top 4 of Spurs, United, Liverpool and City, and then a gap down to Arsenal and Chelsea.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Comfortable 4-1 against Roma, Fernando and Lucas with a brace each, brilliant first half performance very meh the second.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The interior looks like something you would find on holiday resort rather than a football stadium.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah kind of indicates some sort of future sponsorship deal with Nike. They became your kit suppliers recently, right?
Yeah last season, I'm guessing the naming rights won't be announced until 100% confirmation the stadium will be ready, it would be terrible PR for any sponsoring company if it was delayed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Didn't sound that happy by Spurs lack of signings so far.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Didn't sound that happy by Spurs lack of signings so far.
Yeah but he doesn't look on the edge, makes me worry a little. Hope they don't coax us into selling them Martial in desperation for Alderweireld :nervous:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Seems Spurs only become active in the xfer market 1hr before deadline. Then hurriedly buy a player like Sissoko when they realise no-one is available because they have left purchasing players until the last hr of deadline day.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah but he doesn't look on the edge, makes me worry a little. Hope they don't coax us into selling them Martial in desperation for Alderweireld :nervous:
The deal would've been done a long time ago if we had agreed for that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's weird how so many of the spurs fans here are boardroom fans, tallying their financial victories and siding with Levy over Pochettino.

They should be up in arms. If their off pitch investments are costing them their best chance of competing for titles in decades, the boardroom is making wrong decisions.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's weird how so many of the spurs fans here are boardroom fans, tallying their financial victories and siding with Levy over Pochettino.

They should be up in arms. If their off pitch investments are costing them their best chance of competing for titles in decades, the boardroom is making wrong decisions.
I think most Spurs fans on here are pretty pragmatic and probably a bit older and realize the enormous stuctural problems the club had as recently as a decade ago and what a fecking massive accomplishment going from there to "Top 6" has been. The model we have had has served us well and the complete focus on the long term view over short term has been tremendously successful. Spurs could very, very easily be West Ham or Everton or even Villa right now.

If you want up in arms though, visit any Tottenham forum or hell ... just check the replies under any Tottenham Hotspur official Twitter post. People are ready to burn down North London again if there isn't some sort of major signing. Forget bread and circuses, people want N'Dombele and Kovacic.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think most Spurs fans on here are pretty pragmatic and probably a bit older and realize the enormous stuctural problems the club had as recently as a decade ago and what a fecking massive accomplishment going from there to "Top 6" has been. The model we have had has served us well and the complete focus on the long term view over short term has been tremendously successful. Spurs could very, very easily be West Ham or Everton or even Villa right now.

If you want up in arms though, visit any Tottenham forum or hell ... just check the replies under any Tottenham Hotspur official Twitter post. People are ready to burn down North London again if there isn't some sort of major signing. Forget bread and circuses, people want N'Dombele and Kovacic.
Seems reasonable enough for a club of your stature looking to make a step up.

Levy obviously has different priorities than Pochettino at this point. And he is gambling that he can penny pinch his way to another top four finish.

Don't be surprised if Poch says yes to Real next season because of it. You can't keep people happy with a policy of "you've done so well for us, poch, we don't even need to spend to stay where we are!"

But the main thing for me is that I think Levy is selling you down the river with false premises. With the massive money in today's game, it ought to be possible to spend without compromising the club's future. Levy is not even weighing up sporting vs financial targets. He sees only the latter and the only reason he wants top four is for how it helps the latter. And he obviously believes it can be done without spending.

I maintain - it's weird to see football fans side with the chairman over their manager.

AlwaysRed66

This could be good news if Mourinho goes, if Pochettino is not being backed by the board with transfers, and we can get him here.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I maintain - it's weird to see football fans side with the chairman over their manager.
Because it seems our manager and chairman are completely on the same page? Pochettino has been quite blunt when he is unhappy about things before, he's not exactly Mr. Tactful. He and Levy seem to have an excellent working relationship currently, so why would we have to side with one or the other?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Because it seems our manager and chairman are completely on the same page? Pochettino has been quite blunt when he is unhappy about things before, he's not exactly Mr. Tactful. He and Levy seem to have an excellent working relationship currently, so why would we have to side with one or the other?
So when Pochettino in May said this:

“I repeat from my last press conference – today, 100% I feel that I am here. But the most important thing is that tomorrow all can change because it’s not in my hands.”
“I have very clear ideas of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not. We are going to talk next week to create the new project. It is a little bit up to Daniel and the club to agree with us.
“If we want to be real contenders for big trophies, we need to review a little bit the thing. We need to create dreams that will be possible to achieve. Maybe we are a bit disappointed and frustrated because now we are close [to trophies].
“I think Daniel is going to listen to me, of course. You need to be brave. Being brave is the most important thing and take risks. I think it’s a moment that the club needs to take risks and tries to work, if possible, harder than the previous season to be competitive again, because every season will be more difficult."

And here we are in near august and Levy has done the exact opposite and Pochettino says he doesn't know if any signings will be made - This is to you the two of them being completely on the same page?

FrantikChicken

So when Pochettino in May said this:

“I repeat from my last press conference – today, 100% I feel that I am here. But the most important thing is that tomorrow all can change because it’s not in my hands.”
“I have very clear ideas of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not. We are going to talk next week to create the new project. It is a little bit up to Daniel and the club to agree with us.
“If we want to be real contenders for big trophies, we need to review a little bit the thing. We need to create dreams that will be possible to achieve. Maybe we are a bit disappointed and frustrated because now we are close [to trophies].
“I think Daniel is going to listen to me, of course. You need to be brave. Being brave is the most important thing and take risks. I think it’s a moment that the club needs to take risks and tries to work, if possible, harder than the previous season to be competitive again, because every season will be more difficult."

And here we are in near august and Levy has done the exact opposite and Pochettino says he doesn't know if any signings will be made - This is to you the two of them being completely on the same page?
"Levy has done the exact opposite" the opposite of what? Were you at the meeting Pochettino is speaking of? You know what this "new project" consists of?