Television Squid Game (Netflix)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Bit of a moral panic going on about this right now. People up in arms about primary school age kids watching it. Now I agree that’s a bad thing. The funny twist is that a lot of the outrage is about “children recreating Squid Game games in school playgrounds”. Well, duh!
I just found out my 12 Yr old daughter has watched this without permission. I've taken her TV remote away for two weeks as punishment

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I don't see the obsession with this show. I've watched other Kdramas and shows which were more entertaining than this.

mu4c_20le

I don't see the obsession with this show. I've watched other Kdramas and shows which were more entertaining than this.
I usually can't stand Kdramas because of the overacting, but I loved this one. Tight directing and acting. Reminds me of Chernobyl in that it isn't groundbreaking, just good at what it does.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Most smartphones have TV remote apps
She knows she's done a bad thing. It just shows how many kids of that age are talking about this show, that she felt compelled to watch it despite knowing I'd disapprove. Many parents seem not to care what their kids watch

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
She knows she's done a bad thing. It just shows how many kids of that age are talking about this show, that she felt compelled to watch it despite knowing I'd disapprove. Many parents seem not to care what their kids watch
My son is in a Peppa Pig phase. I have developed a burning hatred for pigs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just found out my 12 Yr old daughter has watched this without permission. I've taken her TV remote away for two weeks as punishment
My 12 year old son said his friends were watching it so we had a look at the reviews on common sense media together and he agreed it wasn’t for him (he’s pretty squeamish)

Of course, can’t rule out the possibility he watched it anyway, making a mug of me and my ostentatious displays of good parenting.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My 3 year old watches Blippi all day. May introduce him to Squid game. Seems better for him than Blippi

Stevondo8

Never heard of it, but after a quick Google search.. Dude looks sus af.
Managed to get my daughter off peppa pig and onto paw patrol pretty quickly. Much better, but still annoying, show.

Blippi…have heard rumours of a previous character of his being…different, shall we say.

Got final couple of episodes of squid game to come. Fairly sure I’ve got the main hidden identities sussed (marbles game episode made one of them pretty obvious), it’s just how the reveal will happen.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Few weeks behind the rest of the world but just finished this.

I enjoyed it but I called the twist in the first episode.

I imagine there'll be a 2nd series with how popular it is, but having 456 on a revenge mission seems a bit contrived to me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really enjoyed it, episode 6 especially really got me.

Wasn't a big fan of the ending at all. The fact he barely spent a penny of his winnings doesn't fit his personality at all.

I thought it would have been better if he went wild and burned it all, possibly losing it all chasing even more.

OleBoiii

The fact he barely spent a penny of his winnings doesn't fit his personality at all.
To be fair, going through all the shit that he went through will probably change you.

I think I would flip the argument around: the protagonist's personality in the first two episodes doesn't match his personality for the rest of the series :p In the first two episodes he seemed almost completely irredeemable, imo.

Sylar

It was enjoyable. Assuming we know what this hears Halloween costume trend will be

Ep6 was for sure the peak episode with how it was done, but when they mentioned pairs I was certain it wouldnt be a team but one against one to cut the contestants in half

The twist with number 1 was good, but lucky right? I mean despite his tactics, they were set to lose tug o war until a last second decision to run by somebody else

It seemed like the VIPs and the ending were for the purposes of possibly expanding this.

The motion of the tug of war and the main guy licking the gingerbread was hilarious :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair, going through all the shit that he went through will probably change you.

I think I would flip the argument around: the protagonist's personality in the first two episodes doesn't match his personality for the rest of the series :p In the first two episodes he seemed almost completely irredeemable, imo.
I don't doubt it would change you in some way. I think though if you're that addicted to get yourself into such a big debt, it's a pretty engrained personality trait that you'd naturally fall back into.

The fact he doesn't even actually go and see his daughter which is the whole reason for him applying to the game in the first place is a bit out of place for me also.

Anyway, only a small gripe but just a couple of things that could have been done better to lead them into a 2nd series IMO.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yeah you forget how much of a twat he is at first. Suddenly he becomes this empathetic fair hero.

Balljy

It was enjoyable. Assuming we know what this hears Halloween costume trend will be

Ep6 was for sure the peak episode with how it was done, but when they mentioned pairs I was certain it wouldnt be a team but one against one to cut the contestants in half

The twist with number 1 was good, but lucky right? I mean despite his tactics, they were set to lose tug o war until a last second decision to run by somebody else

It seemed like the VIPs and the ending were for the purposes of possibly expanding this.

The motion of the tug of war and the main guy licking the gingerbread was hilarious :lol:
Number 1 isn't padlocked to the rope for the tug of war game, unlike everyone else so he wouldn't have been dragged down if they lost.

OleBoiii

I don't want to start a new thread for it because frankly I don't think the series is worthy of a thread of its own. Having gotten that out of the way: how the feck did so many not only recommend Alice in Borderland, but even claim that it's better than Squid Game? :lol:

I just finished the first season of Alice in Borderland and I honestly can't think of a single thing it does better than Squid Game. Oh and that's another thing: besides being an East Asian production with death games in the story, the two series have very little in common.

The acting is shite, the writing is bad, the production value is mediocre and every single character is basically an anime character. The death games are also not particularly good. I've heard people criticize Squid Game for much of the same stuff, but with Alice In Borderland you can multiply it by 10.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't want to start a new thread for it because frankly I don't think the series is worthy of a thread of its own. Having gotten that out of the way: how the feck did so many not only recommend Alice in Borderland, but even claim that it's better than Squid Game? :lol:

I just finished the first season of Alice in Borderland and I honestly can't think of a single thing it does better than Squid Game. Oh and that's another thing: besides being an East Asian production with death games in the story, the two series have very little in common.

The acting is shite, the writing is bad, the production value is mediocre and every single character is basically an anime character. The death games are also not particularly good. I've heard people criticize Squid Game for much of the same stuff, but with Alice In Borderland you can multiply it by 10.
Same for me. Alice in Borderlands is an extremely overrated show.

OleBoiii

but the manga is class.
Ah, that explains it.

Whenever a live action film is based on a manga/anime and also produced in Japan, the result is always shit(imo). Real people don't talk, move and behave like that. It's especially jarring to watch if you speak Japanese.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I don’t know whose comment I read on here recommending Alice in Borderland but I just wanted to say whoever you are feck you. It was so crap that I wanted to stop watching it but thought it must get better that’s why people recommended it. Spoiler alert it gets worse. That show truly wasted 8 hours of my life.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don’t know whose comment I read on here recommending Alice in Borderland but I just wanted to say whoever you are feck you. It was so crap that I wanted to stop watching it but thought it must get better that’s why people recommended it. Spoiler alert it gets worse. That show truly wasted 8 hours of my life.
:lol:

RedDevil@84

:lol:
I saw that recommendation here. But the trailer/synopsis never looked good enough.

RedDevil@84

While we’re shitting on Korean dystopian game shows can I say Squid Game isn’t great either? Premise was cool. First few episodes had me gripped but the quality fell away badly after that. I couldn’t be arsed finishing it. Still haven’t.
Which is why one needs to watch pretty early. As the hype goes up, so does our expectations :D

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Which is why one needs to watch pretty early. As the hype goes up, so does our expectations :D
Good point tbh. Similar thing with Money Heist. Starting it now would be a completely different experience to when season 1 first came out.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck that guy. Horrible show.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
While we’re shitting on Korean dystopian game shows can I say Squid Game isn’t great either? Premise was cool. First few episodes had me gripped but the quality fell away badly after that. I couldn’t be arsed finishing it. Still haven’t.
Yeah they're both to the same standard for me. Typical cheesy kill game movies.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Squid game definitely has its gripping moments and some of the shots and sets are amazing. Maybe the story does get a bit boring and predictable but for low budget it’s still pretty good.

I’m intrigued to see what they do next season.

Kaos

Yep, someone recommended it to me as well. Felt annoyed by the end of it, pretty crap show.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sounds like you missed the bridge game, which was a good ep.