Television Squid Game (Netflix)

Baneofthegame

Liar game is great, I haven’t read it since it came out but I really enjoyed it.

I haven’t watched squid game but my foster sister has been ringing me up to go through the episodes, at first I was sure that I’d read the manga it was based on but then it ended up being completely different, and I found the show wasn’t an adaptation of any previous work.

Dunno if you know the manga I’m on about but I remember it being bloody and mental, and had the whole death games thing going on.
Not sure if you mean Gantz? That was pretty crazy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know a few people who refuse to watch subtitled shows because they aren't fast readers so they just can't keep up, so I guess dubs make sense for them.

ChrisNelson

I just don't understand why I would want to listen in Korean and read in English, when I can just listen in English?

Unless I'm missing something that's a million times easier and less distracting from the show itself.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I preferred the first half of Alice in Borderland because of the tone and more importantly, the challenges.

The challenges in Alice required skill, tactics and brain power, whereas a lot of the games in Squid are simply based on luck and there's one where the interference made it just stupid.

However, Alice as a narrative falls apart about halfway through. Whereas Squid Game is far more consistent (up until the final 30 minutes or so).

Both shows are worth watching though neither are a patch on Battle Royale. What a movie that is!
Started watching that this weekend… a lot of similarities (I’m on episode 4. 3 was very well done) and would definitely recommend. Liar Game is next on my list.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I just don't understand why I would want to listen in Korean and read in English, when I can just listen in English?

Unless I'm missing something that's a million times easier and less distracting from the show itself.
I find it incredibly distracting when there are dubs that clearly don't match how the person's mouth is moving and what that person actually sounds like. Far more bothersome than simply reading subtitles, but that's just me.

Moby

Dick
I find it incredibly distracting when there are dubs that clearly don't match how the person's mouth is moving and what that person actually sounds like. Far more bothersome than simply reading subtitles, but that's just me.
Yeah. That's worse for me. Plus the whole audio track changes and goes out of sync.

Having said that it can be a right laugh like Money Heist with the absolutely lame shit they had on the dubbed track.

fergieisold

It's the mouth out of sync with the sound for me. also the actors will be different for the voices, it just doesn't feel easy to watch dubbed.

I've been watching Dark with the subtitles - after a while you completely forget you're reading subtitles...almost feel like I can understand German now :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Done that. But pretty sure Red Cafe's spoiler policy says you don't need to use tags after the episode has been legally released.
It's fine to do it but you can't really enforce it. Show has been aired. Anyone who wants to watch would know all episodes have been aired so check this thread at your own risk.
It's just being courteous to your fellow posters. Some people might want to discuss the show after a few episodes or whatever, not everyone wants to only discuss it after they've watched the whole series. It's minimal effort, clicking on spoiler, to not ruin it for others.

Amarsdd

Is it just me or is this not a thing? I never have an issue taking in both at the same time.
I rarely happen to watch subtitled stuff. But when I'm watching one, it only takes a couple of minutes to get used to the subtitles before I don't even realize I'm reading them.

OleBoiii

Everything wrong with dubbing and TikTok in just 14 seconds. Impressive.

OleBoiii

That was one of the scenes that made me think -what the hell! :lol: and I was watching with subs.
To be fair, that right there is such a quintessential Korean cinema outburst of emotion. It's practically impossible to dub well :lol:

United Hobbit

I watched Battle Royale and really enjoyed it

Watching Battle Royale 2 and it sucks. Was expecting another Battle Royale fight to the death but its basically a war film..

Sara125

Just finished it

Terminally ill old man creates sick games to teach the value of life…is that not the entire plot of the Saw series :lol:?

sidsutton

Just finished it

Terminally ill old man creates sick games to teach the value of life…is that not the entire plot of the Saw series :lol:?
He wasn’t terminally ill when the games first started though.

roseguy64

This is why I prefer subs also. Sometimes there are really good dubs and I don't mind then. But I prefer to just go via subs than take the risk.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

The Korean acting is taken in by audio and visual. The subtitles let you know the words behind the emotion.

Don’t kid yourself that if you’re reading you’re not watching. Driving a car is harder. 70mph and you have a brain processing three mirrors, a windscreen a radio and a conversation going on all at once.

It takes a while to get used to, but it’s incomparably better. You also open up a whole world of content.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think he just wants to look at the actual action and not at the bottom of the screen. So watching it dubbed means you don't have to constantly switch your focus from middle of the screen to the text at the bottom.
This doesn’t really happen though. Your brain is exceptionally good at taking in a whole screen. You don’t just focus on text like it’s a book.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I guess it's better to let everyone do what's comfortable for them?
I agree for most things but I will crush the spirit of anyone using dubbing. I will go to jail if I have to.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
They will do an american remake at some point that will completely miss the point
They will, and it'll star Mark Wahlberg who doesn't want to let down his daughter as the main guy, and it'll have a really shit title like...'Survival Game'.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good thing about subtitles is that it made me put down my phone/laptop and actually watch what was going on. I really need to do that more often.