Television Star Trek

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Harry Kim and Kes were annoying. The rest of them I didn't mind. Nelix was annoying but they reduced his role later on and the Doctor had good and bad episodes.
The bolded part is the main issue I have - if you have to highlight that you didn't mind most of the characters then it's quite a problem. There was simply nobody with enough charisma to keep me interested.

ghagua

They have already done a series based on events before the original Star Trek, now they should do something set in the future after the Next Generation series.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Didn't get the Star Trek feel at all from that trailer, reminded me more of one of those Star Trek movies.

Will surely watch it, but not getting my hopes up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The trailer looks absolutely horrible. Too much CGI mixed with a low budget looking production design. Looks a bit like a PS4 game.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
They have already done a series based on events before the original Star Trek, now they should do something set in the future after the Next Generation series.
Well they sort of did two of them, Deep Space Nine and Voyager take place right after TNG. If the stories are good, then the time frame will work.

ghagua

Well they sort of did two of them, Deep Space Nine and Voyager take place right after TNG. If the stories are good, then the time frame will work.
Both of them were actually set at the time of the Next Generation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
TNG was based in the latter half of the 24th century. The next series should be well after that imo. These cheesy attempts at nostalgia though the most recent film reboot and the old Enterprise series of 15 years ago was completely silly imo. They need to write about newer more advanced technology.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
TNG was based in the latter half of the 24th century. The next series should be well after that imo. These cheesy attempts at nostalgia though the most recent film reboot and the old Enterprise series of 15 years ago was completely silly imo. They need to write about newer more advanced technology.
This.

One of the reasons why I liked DS9 was because they were in another quadrant of space and we got to see brand new aliens, conflicts and tech. Going the way of prequel is wrong imo since there are so much they could have done with either moving it forward in time or covering another quadrant of space in the Star Trek universe.

Will Absolute

Well, they've had a black captain, followed by a female captain, and now they're rolling the dice for the big prize, trying for the Victoria Cross of Hollywood political correctness - a black, female captain!

Let's see if they pull it off. :D

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didn't get the Star Trek feel at all from that trailer, reminded me more of one of those Star Trek movies.

Will surely watch it, but not getting my hopes up.
Agreed.

Well, they've had a black captain, followed by a female captain, and now they're rolling the dice for the big prize, trying for the Victoria Cross of Hollywood political correctness - a black, female captain!

Let's see if they pull it off. :D
Horrors never cease.

Runner

That trailer was pretty terrible. I've never been a star trek fan but the last 2 were enjoyable. Wrath of Khan would be my # 1.

Amir

I'm actually watching Voyager now and while the series had its critics, it wasn't bad and it was very much Star Trek. That trailer, as people wrote, doesn't feel Star Trek.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm not sure you can say much about the Captain from that

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
That TNG cast is just that good, isn't it. Everything since then is just..meh. Will we ever get anyone as good as Patrick Stewart in a Star Trek series again?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm not sure you can say much about the Captain from that
Looks like she is half (or full?) Vulcan? Another drawback for me with the timing of the show is that they couldn't have any other species as captain, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the shows. Push it far enough in the future and they could have something completely different, which we haven't seen before.

Simbo

My expectations for this are pretty low so I'm pleasantly surprised by that trailer.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Both of them were actually set at the time of the Next Generation.
At the beginning perhaps, but by the time of Endgame the Dominion War was well in the past. There was still a feel of progression there.

I do agree your general point though: we've already been done the whole prequel thing.

If they wanted to do something different, there were still other routes they could pursue. Section 31 for instance, or a series set on a Klingon/Romulan/civilian ship (different perspective), yet in the future nonetheless.

Amir

At the beginning perhaps, but by the time of Endgame the Dominion War was well in the past. There was still a feel of progression there.
Yeah, but we're talking about a few years here, a few years there. Why not jump 50-100 years into the future and give us something new rather than faster warp speeds?

Amir

TNG is the best for me, I also like Voyager.
Some of the Original series is dreadful .
The original series is so sexist and Bones could act in such a racist fashion (towards Spock) that it's a little hard to watch nowadays, I'll admit. And that's only the start. Still, it's a late sixties show....

TNG was surely the best. I like Voyager, despite its shortcomings. DS9 was good, not great. Enterprise improved in seasons 3 and 4, but by then I guess it was too late. And maybe the viewers had enough of Star Trek after so many years and four different series since the late eighties.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Yeah, but we're talking about a few years here, a few years there. Why not jump 50-100 years into the future and give us something new rather than faster warp speeds?
Does it not still need to be relatable, both in terms of the technology and events? 20-40 years, sure, but 100 seems too much.

Voyager dabbled with transwarp of course; yet Warp 10 carried with it the lizard issue.

pauldyson1uk

The original series is so sexist and Bones could act in such a racist fashion (towards Spock) that it's a little hard to watch nowadays, I'll admit. And that's only the start. Still, it's a late sixties show....

TNG was surely the best. I like Voyager, despite its shortcomings. DS9 was good, not great. Enterprise improved in seasons 3 and 4, but by then I guess it was too late. And maybe the viewers had enough of Star Trek after so many years and four different series since the late eighties.
I agree, some of them are dreadful , but some are still brilliant to watch, the one with Joan Collins and the second one with Pike are my favourites.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I used to wonder why Uhuru always seemed pissed off. Maybe it was because William Shatner.

Bole Top

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. Voyager/ Enterprise
4. TOS

for me, DS9 have the most complex characters, best acting and probably the best action scenes of all series. I was actually in love with Kira when I was younger :lol:

TNG has Picard of course and it's pretty much on the same level as DS9, but I always felt that series never started something big like Dominion war (or like journey home in Voyager).

Voyager on the other hand has unique setting, but the worst captain imo. I just couldn't take Janeway seriously. characters in general aren't as complex and interesting as those in TNG and DS9, so...

Enterprise isn't much better in that regard, but it's pretty short so that never really becomes an issue. and yes, T'Pol :drool:

TOS is simply ridiculous unless you grew up watching Spock and Kirk. it just lacks quality when you put nostalgia aside.

as for movies, Voyage Home (1986), Undiscovered Country (1991), Star Trek (2009) and First Contact (1996) are the ones I probably loved the most.

arthurka

Patty Stew did it for me...
Anything after isn't it.. Here's for hoping its good.

Bole Top

my mom loved Picard so much she even printed him on a t-shirt :lol: she wasn't a trekkie before I gave her TNG to watch, but now she is.

Amir

Does it not still need to be relatable, both in terms of the technology and events? 20-40 years, sure, but 100 seems too much.
We're already 250 years into the future. I don't see why 350 would be too much. It's actually funny to see them use stuff - like sort of Ipads - that for the time Voyager, for instance, was filmed probably looked brilliant and futuristic, but now looks a little dated.

It would take a lot of creative thinking to take the series further into the future and come up with new stuff.