Film Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker [Theories]

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Watched it today. Liked it. Rey reveal was very left field.

A lot of stuff was obvious, that kiss at the end wasn't needed.

7.5/10

passing-wind

Think it was one of the worst titles in recent history. The problem I had with the film is it lacked structure and an appropriate direction. I remember leaving the cinema thinking too many scenes didn't make sense only to find this reaffirmed when it was revealed large chunks of the film was removed for viewership purposes (length of time).

Felt like Disney couldn't wait to sack the old generational content off in favour of their own ideologies. Which is not a problem, but the element of rushing ruined the transition of "closure".

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The best thing to come out of this movie is Rey's new lightsaber. I've seen some close ups of it and it's awesome.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Fans are so hard to please. The originals weren't even that great, but they changed cinema. Those that followed were actually better according to me, but they will forever dwell in the shadows of nostalgia.

Confession time: I liked Jar Jar Binks and I thought Episode 3 was a tearjerker.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Fans are so hard to please. The originals weren't even that great, but they changed cinema. Those that followed were actually better according to me, but they will forever dwell in the shadows of nostalgia.

Confession time: I liked Jar Jar Binks and I thought Episode 3 was a tearjerker.
You are not alone, Episode 3 is my fav SW movie by far. I was 27 when I first saw it, so definitely not childhood nostalgia.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

It's not a bad thing to expect more modern films to be written and made better than the originals.

The nostalgia argument only holds ground if what comes after learns from the mistakes and is clearly superior.

That being said prequels >= sequels. They were absolute shite, but at least they were batshite.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's not a bad thing to expect more modern films to be written and made better than the originals.

The nostalgia argument only holds ground if what comes after learns from the mistakes and is clearly superior.

That being said prequels >= sequels. They were absolute shite, but at least they were batshite.
Prequels > Original > Sequels for me.

And I didn't think the sequels were batshite at all! Before you watch a Star Wars movie for the first time, do you clear your mind like Yoda instructed?

El-Manos

Episode 3 is excellent. My favourite Star Wars movie still and I get lot of shit over that for some stupid reason.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You are not alone, Episode 3 is my fav SW movie by far. I was 27 when I first saw it, so definitely not childhood nostalgia.
Episode 3 is excellent. My favourite Star Wars movie still and I get lot of shit over that for some stupid reason.
I think most secretly love that movie, but they don't want to be ostracized.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, Episode 3 is my favorite too though objectively speaking, 5 and 4 are the best ones. 6 is definitely weaker than 3, as is 7. 8 and 9 are right there with 1 and 2 for me (though in different ways of bad, with 1 and 2 having bad dialogues while 8 and 9 having bad and nonsense stories).

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yep, Episode 3 is my favorite too though objectively speaking, 5 and 4 are the best ones. 6 is definitely weaker than 3, as is 7. 8 and 9 are right there with 1 and 2 for me (though in different ways of bad, with 1 and 2 having bad dialogues while 8 and 9 having bad and nonsense stories).
I rate 7 quite high.
  1. Revenge of the Sith
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. A New Hope
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Force Awakens
  6. Rise of Skywalker
  7. Phantom Menace
  8. Attack of the Clones
  9. Last Jedi
And not one was truly disappointing. I liked 'em all!

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
The likes of Rebels and Clone Wars put the modern movies to shame in pretty much every respect.

vidic blood & sand

I rate 7 quite high.
  1. Revenge of the Sith
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. A New Hope
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Force Awakens
  6. Rise of Skywalker
  7. Phantom Menace
  8. Attack of the Clones
  9. Last Jedi
You must have been a kid who never refused any meal.

El-Manos

I rate 7 quite high.
  1. Revenge of the Sith
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. A New Hope
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Force Awakens
  6. Rise of Skywalker
  7. Phantom Menace
  8. Attack of the Clones
  9. Last Jedi
Completely agree with the list. Might swap return of the Jedi with Force Awakens though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've seen all the Star Wars movies and the only one I liked was Rogue One. The rest were average. I really don't see the hype.

Fingeredmouse

1 and 2 also have "bad and nonsense stories". So does 3. As well as terrible scripts, confused actors, embarrassing dialogue, poor editing, appalling cinematography, terrible pacing and shit visuals.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People liking the prequel films is something I'll never understand. They range between poor to terrible in terms of pretty much every single aspect of filmmaking and storytelling, in a way neither the originals nor sequels do. They're also almost entirely lacking in any charm whatsoever. 3 is better than the other two, sure, but it's still like watching a video game rather than a film.

Fingeredmouse

Nah its brilliant man. The last hour and the fight between obi wan and anakin in the beat fight in all of SW. 2nd is Maul from PM.
That fight is about 40 times too long, looks completely ridiculous and loses all emotional and narrative weight about 1 minute in.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Disney completely fecked up the whole trilogy.
Yeah, a good lesson in the importance of having a roadmap for a story before you start. I actually don't mind The Last Jedi that much (my favourite bit is Luke's complete dismissal of his former life as a Jedi after causing so many people to lose their lives - it just makes sense character wise) but the failure to set anything up for the last film and erase so many of the plot points that had been built up in the first was a bit shitty on Johnson's part. Didn't help that Abrams then just said "to hell with it, I'm doing what I was always going to do regardless" instead of adapting.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think I may end up preferring 3 slightly to 9 - the opening action sequence is fun and it at least tries to deliver on some themes (I don't think it does the bigger ones particularly well but can't have everything). 9 is much slicker and has some individual moments that hit home, but the whole thing hangs together so flimsily and some of the choices made are awful. They're both in my "bad" tier, at any rate.

Shark

@NotShark
People liking the prequel films is something I'll never understand. They range between poor to terrible in terms of pretty much every single aspect of filmmaking and storytelling, in a way neither the originals nor sequels do. They're also almost entirely lacking in any charm whatsoever. 3 is better than the other two, sure, but it's still like watching a video game rather than a film.
You must be having a laugh if you think the sequels did any better in terms of storytelling or charm. At least Anakin couldn't go toe to toe with the likes of Dooku from the beginning as Ray ridiculously did with Kylo with basically no training. At least light saber duels actually meant something in terms of life or death.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I re-watch episodes 1-6 every year. I’m not sure I’ll be adding episodes 7-9 to that though.

I lived and bloody breathed Star Wars as a kid. I used to watch the original trilogy all the time and was desperate for a continuation of the Skywalker story with those wonderful characters.

I used to imagine all of the Possible story lines post Return of the Jedi.

I thoroughly enjoyed the prequels by the way. I actually think that Revenge of the Sith is a cracking film, but it was sequels not prequels that I wanted.

So the question really is, after nearly 30 years, how could Disney feck up a sequel trilogy with the original cast? Then I watch those abominations and answer the question for myself.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sequels are shitty fan fiction. Prequels are poorly told stories, in fact you could skip the first two and not miss a damn thing that matters, but at least they felt like they were somewhat grounded in that world.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You must be having a laugh if you think the sequels did any better in terms of storytelling or charm. At least Anakin couldn't go toe to toe with the likes of Dooku from the beginning as Ray ridiculously did with Kylo with basically no training. At least light saber duels actually meant something in terms of life or death.
I think each individual sequel film was more competent in pretty much every aspect of storytelling and filmmaking than the prequels. Character, plot, dialogue, visuals, editing, cinematography, acting, pacing, directing, etc. There's a reason there was generally such a gap in critical reception between both sets of films and that's because the sequels are fundamentally better built. Or at least they are once you get past the "how can X do Y when Z couldn't" inconsistencies that seem to pre-occupy some Star Wars fans, despite running through the entirety of what is a fundamentally silly series of films.

That's not to say the sequels are particularly good films, or that they're not irredeemably disjointed as a trilogy. In fact even the original films have plenty of their own problems, as most Star Wars films aren't actually all that well made. It's just that the prequel films are legitimately terrible. TPM and AOTC are two of the worst major release films of their respective decades, ill-made and ill-conceived. Watching people defend them is like watching people defend the Michael Bay Transformers films, sending a chill wave of bad taste down my spine.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I actually quite enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker by which time Rey had grown on me quite considerably though it was still a bit of a jumbled mess. The faceless Sith at the end was a bit daft. And with all that power and resources, why do evil overlords always live in squalor and miserable surroundings? I still enjoy the original Star Wars trilogy and would go with:

Ep IV: A New Hope
Ep II: Attack of the Clones
Ep VI: Return of the Jedi
Ep III: Revenge of the Sith
Ep IX: The Rise of Skywalker
Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back
Ep VII: The Force Awakens
Ep VIII: The Last Jedi
Ep I: The Phantom Menace
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nah its brilliant man. The last hour and the fight between obi wan and anakin in the beat fight in all of SW. 2nd is Maul from PM.
That fight is about 40 times too long, looks completely ridiculous and loses all emotional and narrative weight about 1 minute in.
This... Its rubbish, made worse with terrible dialogue and bad SFX.

Plus that Yoda / Palpatine fight is laughable bad.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This is good?

That's obviously not good. But in the moment, after everything that came before that, it was bloody fantastic. It was cinematic gold when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber and everyone thought "No way! Yoda is going to fight!" I particularly loved his fighting style. It was probably taken from that Lego Star Wars game.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I swear some people go to a Star Wars film hoping it sucks, so that they can harp on about how their once-loved franchise was mauled. The whole SW universe is about suspension of disbelief. So why can't that apply to dialogue, etc?

Just chill people! Disney is delivering what Lucas never could. Many movies! Sure, some won't be as good as others, but they are all entertaining in their own way. Empire Strikes Back - widely hailed as the best - is also filled with iffy scenes.

I guess some are just hard to please, which is fine :-)