Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

Fingeredmouse

It's about fighting for something other than your own personal desires. He starts the film wanting to desert purely to save Rey, ends it willing to kill himself for the resistance.
But is prevented from doing so by another character's personal desires?

caid

There was a fair bit of critique of the lone hero saving the day throughout the movie. I wasn't fond of that particular example of it but it made sense.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Rose began the film powerlessly watching her sister blow herself up for a Pyrrhic victory, which is the context and motivation for that particular moment rather than some undying love for Finn. The overall theme being that every life is important.

Fingeredmouse

Rose began the film powerlessly watching her sister blow herself up for a Pyrrhic victory, which is the context and motivation for that particular moment rather than some undying love for Finn. The overall theme being that every life is important.
Given he was trying to save every other life by flying into the inexplicably short range massive cannon I'm not sure....ah, I give up. It's all bloody nonsense.

Art Vandelay

Yeah I get that argument, it all felt like it had gone in a completely different direction to TFA for me though. Kind of felt like they were trying to force the jokes too much as well.
I agree about the jokes in TLJ, they were forced, ill timed, out of place and just not funny. This is coming from someone that liked the film.

Going back to your earlier point, I think he had to move away from Abrams groundwork as it was fairly shoddy. He was given some badly written characters and a much less interesting remake of the first film as his jumping off point. He did a lot of things right by making Rey a nobody and moving away from established Star Wars tropes, you can't just keep making the same films over and over again. With the prequels George made the universe feel tiny by having everything be connected, making Rey a nobody returned it to a hero can rise up from anywhere. It's just unfortunate that the hero in this case is a badly written Mary Sue.

For me he got a lot of things right, got a few things wrong and took it in a direction I felt it needed to go. I quite enjoyed it. That being said, I've no interest in seeing episode 9. I have no interest in the new characters, the old ones are all gone and I couldn't be arsed to see how brilliant Rey becomes at everything they've not shown her doing yet.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's a Star Wars movie. Enjoy it and stop looking at every little detail.

kps88

This isn't about people liking or not liking the movie. It's about people politicizing it or harassing a minority actor. No surprise some of that was a coordinated campaign, but I am surprised Russian trolls had a part in it. Seems like they're going to be shit stirring full time now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Magic xylophone ribs time again.

beedoubleyou

Star Wars is bad and rots your brain...

I guess the flip side is Mark Hamill not agreeing with the direction of Luke in The Last Jedi. I actually disagree with Hamill, as I've detailed in depth earlier in this thread - and we probably shouldn't open that can of worms again so soon!

However, I differ from "Star Wars:The1stGen" in that I only consider the films themselves the source material for other films. I don't consider a video game or literary incarnation of the character as an equal source of how a cinematic character should act. In fact, I don't consider a non-cinematic incarnation of any significance at all. Telling Frank Oz that his opinion on Yoda is wrong because of how a C-list writer portrayed the character in a kids cartoon or MS-DOS game is absurd

Hoof the ball

I always thought the Yoda "senility" act was just that; an act. When Luke originally met him, Yoda displayed an eccentric persona, until that is he took Luke seriously about his intentions, and reverted to his normal self.

The criticism of TLJ Yoda was that Yoda was displaying the eccentric act which Yoda displayed in Empire Strikes Back as if it were his ordinary persona.

The source for the above is in the screen writing script for Empire Strikes Back. The crazy Yoda was an act. The latter serious Yoda towards Luke was genuine. That was the intention of George Lucas. Nothing from the books or any C-list writer.

beedoubleyou

I always thought the Yoda "senility" act was just that; an act. When Luke originally met him, Yoda displayed an eccentric persona, until that is he took Luke seriously about his intentions, and reverted to his normal self.

The criticism of TLJ Yoda was that Yoda was displaying the eccentric act which Yoda displayed in Empire Strikes Back as if it were his ordinary persona.

The source for the above is in the screen writing script for Empire Strikes Back. The crazy Yoda was an act. The latter serious Yoda towards Luke was genuine. That was the intention of George Lucas. Nothing from the books or any C-list writer.
Certainly the deception and the exaggeration of his character were an act in the Empire Strikes Back, but I think there's that side to Yoda's actual personality too and particularly in how he interacts with his students, it's present in The *spits* Attack of The Clones too.

The interaction with Luke in The Last Jedi is more playful and familiar, like how you are with an old friend. He was using it in that instance in a calming way, to disarm his former student in his moment of crisis. For me, that whole scene is perfect and the delivery of the line 'The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters' is just beautiful.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Filling out the blank spots has always been a big part of the Star Wars fandom. A few more subpar Disney spin-offs and I'll think the franchise will end up dead on it's arse.

Sweet Square

Filling out the blank spots has always been a big part of the Star Wars fandom. A few more subpar Disney spin-offs and I'll think the franchise will end up dead on it's arse.
I thought the same but really the reality is more well.............. this