Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Since people are selling thr keys they got with hardware bundle deals, i now got the game at a good price.
Performance is looking good so far, but of course i haven't left the starting planet yet.
What i've seen so far has been very good, can't wait to play more.

Tiber

I love that the game is full of battle droids. As a big fan of Clone Wars I've always really liked battle droids and think they are funny. Nice change from endless stormtroopers

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I really like that there's larger areas now, and that they kept Cal's full set of powers. Scaled back, obviously, but he's got all the principal moves, so none of that tired amnesia business.
Now I just did some exploring in the big open area and ran into a freaking Rancor. I'm only on the second highest difficulty, but I don't stand an effing chance :lol:
Performance is alright for me, running on a system with a 5800X3D and 6700XT, at 4k + FSR2 quality in 'High' Settings without RT.

Hamnat

RT off solved a lot of the constant crashing issues on Jedah. I was literally stuck fighting a boss no spoiler. They at least had saves every few steps there but it's so buggy sometimes I would respawn and boss wasn't there. I had to shut the game down come back in then he's back. But crash during the multi stage fight and start over till I turned off RT and film detail. Everything else is still 'Epic' setting but they clearly need to optimize a lot.

I stopped the main story to go find my poncho treasure chest.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Should I still play the first game or jump straight to Survivor?
It's a good game, bonus points if you're a Star Wars nerd. I think Survivor may be a bit overwhelming if you're not familiar with the movement and combat systems. The other way around, Fallen Order will surely feel limited and restrictive if you play Survivor first.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I really like that there's larger areas now, and that they kept Cal's full set of powers. Scaled back, obviously, but he's got all the principal moves, so none of that tired amnesia business.
Now I just did some exploring in the big open area and ran into a freaking Rancor. I'm only on the second highest difficulty, but I don't stand an effing chance :lol:
I beat the damn thing after god knows how many attempts, probably 1,5 to 2 hours of constant dying with half of it onehits or straight being eaten :mad:
It was glorious to see the finishing moves though :D

Bebe

Fun game so far, story seems interesting. Shame about the performance though, from what I understand there's a lot of advanced graphical features in this game but in practice it's the worst looking game I've played on PS5 due to the constant frame rate drops and screen tearing.

Performance is alright for me, running on a system with a 5800X3D and 6700XT, at 4k + FSR2 quality in 'High' Settings without RT.

that mini-boss took me at least 45 mins, it was a great early challenge. My advice is parry parry parry. I was getting in trouble because I kept wanting to dodge like a Souls game and getting smoked by the area of effect attacks.

Also, give yourself extra room when he does his overhead forearm slam thing. The hitbox on that seemed crazy harsh to me - thought I was well out of range and boom I'm dead instead.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Loving it so far. One comment, and one I had in the first game, is how the hell has Merrin not taken over the galaxy? She can teleport at will, lift thousands of tons of rock, is a kick ass warrior, and is hot as hell. Palpatine should have been deposed on day 2.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
that mini-boss took me at least 45 mins, it was a great early challenge. My advice is parry parry parry. I was getting in trouble because I kept wanting to dodge like a Souls game and getting smoked by the area of effect attacks.

Also, give yourself extra room when he does his overhead forearm slam thing. The hitbox on that seemed crazy harsh to me - thought I was well out of range and boom I'm dead instead.
I found dodging or precision evading to be even better. Cal can block one of these swings at best (at least on the higher difficulties, i'm playing on Master right now) and will be vulnerable when a second comes in. The window for parrying is super hard to hit. I found the best place to be was always a short distance right in front of the beast, because it will then use dodgeable attacks with long enough recovery to get a few decent hits in.

Bebe

I found dodging or precision evading to be even better. Cal can block one of these swings at best (at least on the higher difficulties, i'm playing on Master right now) and will be vulnerable when a second comes in. The window for parrying is super hard to hit. I found the best place to be was always a short distance right in front of the beast, because it will then use dodgeable attacks with long enough recovery to get a few decent hits in.
I'm on Master as well, truthfully I found everything easy to parry. The back to back attacks were almost easier because I'd just immediately hit block after parrying the first attack. I just fought
Dagan Gera
or whatever the name was, did the same thing. Just stood in front of him and parried, dodged whenever the red glow shows up. Died once then barely took a hit the second attempt.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think I’m shit at games now. I just can’t time dodges or parries well enough and die so often in these games.

Tiber

Rick the Door Technician is my favourite boss of all time

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just hit the platinum on Fallen Order and started this one. Much better so far and a good continuation.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I like it, but the combat is still mediocre, escpecially compared to the Souls games the sword play is ripping off a bit. The parrying and dodging during bossfights also seems off somehow, like it's hard to notice whether you parried an attack or blocked it or just plain got hit.

Story and characters are great though, quite immersive.

Bosws87

I like it, but the combat is still mediocre, escpecially compared to the Souls games the sword play is ripping off a bit. The parrying and dodging during bossfights also seems off somehow, like it's hard to notice whether you parried an attack or blocked it or just plain got hit.

Same crap as last time then, was waiting for someone to mention the combat as it was horrible in the first one it never felt consistent.

Any game with the difficulty and combat of souls has to have near consistent combat which works like it should 99.9% of the time.

Makes it a no for me if that’s the case.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Same crap as last time then, was waiting for someone to mention the combat as it was horrible in the first one it never felt consistent.

Any game with the difficulty and combat of souls has to have near consistent combat which works like it should 99.9% of the time.

Makes it a no for me if that’s the case.
Yeah, like Fallen Order the combat can be infuriating at times. It feels like the block and parry windows change from fight to fight or simply contain button lag that means you'll die or get beat up badly.

Bosws87

Yeah, like Fallen Order the combat can be infuriating at times. It feels like the block and parry windows change from fight to fight or simply contain button lag that means you'll die or get beat up badly.
That’s a shame think of Sekiro’s combat applied to Star Wars the potential is huge.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That’s a shame think of Sekiro’s combat applied to Star Wars the potential is huge.
That would be brilliant.

Having said that, the combat isn't that terrible. It's just not a high point of the game. If you enjoy Star Wars it's definitely an easy buy.

Just don't look closely at your lightsaber in an elevator, it's not pretty.

Cypriot

Really want this, but waiting for a little price drop! The first one I loved, and completed it a good few times, so hearing that this is a different animal is really exciting.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Trying to play this today. It’s frozen three times in four hours. :mad:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
When you open the Jedi Survivor thread and get an ad for Jedi Survivor - oh yeah, it's all coming together.

So anyway, i'm having a blast with this game, just exploring Koboh and slaying stuff in style. Of course i loved the first one, so just more and bigger of everything is perfectly fine for me. If you didn't like the first one, Survivor will likely not win you over.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Overall it’s pretty good. Like fallen order it doesn’t hold your hand in terms of what to do and since it’s far more open in terms of side quests and planets, it makes it a bit more intriguing and you have to think about what to do next. There are a few things I’ve skipped (like the Rancor) because I can’t be arsed getting beat up so I’ll come back to it later.
It feels nice that from the start in this game you overpower the weaker enemies and can blitz through them but others provide a little bit of difficulty.
Also making shortcuts better and fast travel is a big plus.

it is an improvement on the last game.

Last edited:

Hamnat

Overall it’s pretty good. Like fallen order it doesn’t hold your hand in terms of what to do and since it’s far more open in terms of side quests and planets, it makes it a bit more intriguing and you have to think about what to do next. There are a few things I’ve skipped (like the Rancor) because I can’t be arsed getting beat up so I’ll come back to it later.
It feels nice that from the start in this game you overpower the weaker enemies and can blitz through them but others provide a little bit of difficulty.
Also making shortcuts better and fast travel is a big plus.

it is an improvement on the last game.
I also skipped Rancor , several other monster fights and some of the Bounty Hunters and finished the main story. Once they release all the PC performance fixes and I can turn settings back on to play and not crash I will go back and do those. Already spoiled on what happens with the Bounty Hunter storyline unfortunately but I will still do it.

Bebe

There's definitely some kind of lag to parrying at times, and some of the hit detection seems off. Really makes me appreciate how mechanically precise FromSoft are with their combat. It's clearly not as easy to copy as I might have expected.

Still having a blast with the game despite the combat not being Souls-level, and the PS5 performance issues. Fun story, plenty of combat options to explore with the new stances, and exploration is getting enjoyable now that I've progressed most of the campaign so that every other path isn't blocked by some mechanic I haven't discovered yet (why oh why do games do this!).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There's definitely some kind of lag to parrying at times, and some of the hit detection seems off. Really makes me appreciate how mechanically precise FromSoft are with their combat. It's clearly not as easy to copy as I might have expected.

Still having a blast with the game despite the combat not being Souls-level, and the PS5 performance issues. Fun story, plenty of combat options to explore with the new stances, and exploration is getting enjoyable now that I've progressed most of the campaign so that every other path isn't blocked by some mechanic I haven't discovered yet (why oh why do games do this!).
I agree with you. Like fallen order it will be a really good game in a year or so when they patch it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
just finished the mission with merrin on jedha. Class.

siw2007

Finished the campaign today. Really good game, as good as Jedi simulator as I could have hoped for.

Just a few things I’d like to improve based on defensive side of the combat. The parry windows feel like guess work at times unless you are playing an easier setting, so Id like that tidied up. Also, I’d like the dodge and block actions to cancel the offensive action upon input, just think that would tidy up some of the more frustrating battles.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Finished the campaign today. Really good game, as good as Jedi simulator as I could have hoped for.

Just a few things I’d like to improve based on defensive side of the combat. The parry windows feel like guess work at times unless you are playing an easier setting, so Id like that tidied up. Also, I’d like the dodge and block actions to cancel the offensive action upon input, just think that would tidy up some of the more frustrating battles.
Your last point is the main boon of the dual wield stance.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What are the fixes for performance issues on ps5? It’s embarrassingly bad at times. Any battle with over 3 foes makes my game stutter like crazy.

sport2793

What are the fixes for performance issues on ps5? It’s embarrassingly bad at times. Any battle with over 3 foes makes my game stutter like crazy.
Agreed its really poor. The visuals aren't good enough to justify the poor performance either, considering games like HFW run beautifully and look 10x better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agreed its really poor. The visuals aren't good enough to justify the poor performance either, considering games like HFW run beautifully and look 10x better.
yep. Even worse considering the first game had similar issues. It frustrates me that gamers have just accepted this now and when people complain they bite back with a wait for them to patch it etc. So many games now are released with crappy issues at launch that ruin the experience.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I finally killed those two hammer bastards in the fort... but they respawn. One of the hardest fights I've found so far and it's not even unique :lol:
I wonder how far I am along in the game now, I think I'm still missing two move/unlock skills (the power conduit thingies and the flying platforms).

Bebe

Finished it on Monday. Story was pretty meh until
Dagan Gera's death
, but it really picked up after that point and hooked me in. Overall it's a pretty comfortable 9/10 game for me. Lots of fun to play for the most part, but the combat mechanics break down in the late game during the harder fights (might not be as much of an issue on lower difficulties). Great visuals, but let down by poor performance. Fun level design and exploration, but the rewards are usually a stupid lightsaber button cosmetic. Fun narrative, but featuring rather boring characters.

Great step up from the first game, I'll be looking forward to the inevitable sequel. Hopefully they hire someone to work on hit detection, especially with bosses and AOE attacks.