Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Siorac

Is it just me, or is it definitely easier than Fallen Order? I'm playing on Jedi Knight difficulty and I don't think I died to a boss yet. The only times I die is when they cram lots of enemies into a relatively small space, or when there are multiple big monsters coming at you. And I'm shite at games.

Bebe

Is it just me, or is it definitely easier than Fallen Order? I'm playing on Jedi Knight difficulty and I don't think I died to a boss yet. The only times I die is when they cram lots of enemies into a relatively small space, or when there are multiple big monsters coming at you. And I'm shite at games.
I played on Jedi Master, I found the game very easy until the last couple of main story bosses and a couple of late game story encounters where they throw tons of enemies at you. At that point the difficulty seemed to shoot up into something at least challenging quite abruptly.

I wouldn't say it's easier than Fallen Order for that reason, but I'd definitely say most of Survivor feels easy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was planning on getting this some time soon but according to various sites my PC will only run it at Medium settings for 1080p/60fps?! That's seems mad since I can run bloody Cyberpunk at Ultra/Psycho.

Is the game not well optimised on PC, or is it really more intensive than Cyberpunk?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I was planning on getting this some time soon but according to various sites my PC will only run it at Medium settings for 1080p/60fps?! That's seems mad since I can run bloody Cyberpunk at Ultra/Psycho.

Is the game not well optimised on PC, or is it really more intensive than Cyberpunk?
Let's hear your PC specs.
The game isn't overly demanding on the GPU, but there are CPU performance issues in some (large) parts of the game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think that's kind of good in a way and reflects the power of Cal growing stronger. If you think about Fallen Order you're still building up to become the Jedi you are at the end of Survivor. I liked how in the first game you struggled with normal stormtroopers but by the end blast through them. I like in this game that normal stormtroopers can be blasted through immediately due to continuity.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Completed the story last night. The last act is pretty great in terms of story and makes me excited for the next game which feels like a good place to end this arc.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Does this still perform shocking on ps5? I'm a 60 FPS guy now, I've been playing ratchet and clank and switching to fidelity over performance feels horrendous. If this is as stuttery I'm not going to enjoy it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does this still perform shocking on ps5? I'm a 60 FPS guy now, I've been playing ratchet and clank and switching to fidelity over performance feels horrendous. If this is as stuttery I'm not going to enjoy it.
If you put it on performance and turn everything off like motion blur it's fine but still a bit laggy at times in big battles.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'm getting close to the end now, it seems. I have unlocked almost everything, but still missing several perks. I guess one is the reward for the fractured malice force tear... And boy, that encounter is utter bullshit. Worse than the two hammer dudes due to the constant possibility of being one-shotted even if you have one enemy 'blocking' the other.. turns out only my view is blocked reliably.
That aside, i have been loving my time with the game. The new stances and Cal's additional force powers definitely make this the most fun Jedi experience since Jedi Knight 2 and 3.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There is a platinum breaking bug to do with bounty hunts and I’ve got it. :(

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There is a platinum breaking bug to do with bounty hunts and I’ve got it. :(
Same, haven't got a single bounty assignment so far. Not that I care about platinum, but I wanted the stuff in the bounty hunter shop.

Today I sunk about three fecking hours in the shitty fractured malice double Rancor encounter, before i finally did it. Now on to fractured history double Oggdos. Oh joy.

Also I finished the story yesterday. Have to say I found it considerably weaker than the first in this department. I hoped and wanted for more life and death clashes with deliciously evil and threatening inquisitors, the empire and its oppression looming over everything, that whole package. In that regard, Survivor underdelivered a lot. I also think the basic plot devices were a total rehash of the first one.
Moreover, i feel the main antagonists failed to come alive the way the Second Sister or even the Ninth Sister did in Fallen Order. Bit of a shame, because most of them were interesting, lore- and background-wise. In hindsight, I actually really dislike the encounter with Darth Vader, it felt added as an afterthought, a checklist feature.
I liked the gameplay though, love the dual wielding. Some of the parcour stuff was fun, some over the top, some annoying, but an upgrade over the first one all in all. Also I want to thank the people responsible for not completely resetting Cal's skill progress. It was fantastic to continue more or less with all the moves he had at the end of Fallen Order and add cool new stuff on top.
It was fun (and still is, mostly, when I'm not dying three hours straight in one encounter) and I think I will do a new game+ and hope for additional content in the future.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the story was good personally. I like what they’ve done with this game but I do think they’ve also filled it with a lot of shite. It’s always a bizarre thing in a game where you have to find and open a chest to unlock a beard or haircut you can use.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So the planet where you find Greez; there's a guy talking to a big fat alien twat outside the inn who says he doesn't trust you. He had less than three lines...

I knew the voice sounded familiar so I checked it out. It's the guy who plays Die Hardman in Death Stranding, and gave a phenomenal performance if anyone played that through until the end. If you did then you know the scene I mean. It's just... Wow. Top notch acting.

Additionally, for all you parents out there; he's the voice of the unicorn in CBeebies Go Jetters.

That's all, other than the guy (Tommy Earl Jenkins) deserves way more work than just doing "additional voices" in a game because he's brill. Good night.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think the story was good personally. I like what they’ve done with this game but I do think they’ve also filled it with a lot of shite. It’s always a bizarre thing in a game where you have to find and open a chest to unlock a beard or haircut you can use.
I guess it's more the atmosphere where the first one is ahead for me than the quality of the story per se. Neither of them are going to win the nobel prize for literature, but neither do they have to.

I was successful yesterday night in completing the remaining force tears. Once i conquered the first two big bastards, the remaining ones posed much less of a threat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I guess it's more the atmosphere where the first one is ahead for me than the quality of the story per se. Neither of them are going to win the nobel prize for literature, but neither do they have to.

I was successful yesterday night in completing the remaining force tears. Once i conquered the first two big bastards, the remaining ones posed much less of a threat.
I have one or two left. Just going to try and get the platinum and then pick it up again later.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just need them to fix that bug and I’ll have the platinum. After playing through a bit more to complete trophies I think it does have good replay value compared to Fallen Order which was too small to enjoy over and over again.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think i feel the opposite. I already collected all interesting stuff on the first go (chests, force tears), so now i only have seeds and some random 'currency items' to hunt down. Under this pretext huge parts of the game world (ok, just Koboh) feel superfluous. I think Fallen Order had only the crashed venator as an optional area which would become pointless after collecting all stuff in it.

Siorac

I really enjoyed the game overall, and found the story to be some good clean Star Wars fun. But you couldn't pay me to go for the Platinum trophy in this game. Way too much busywork required and fecking around with different stances.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really enjoyed the game overall, and found the story to be some good clean Star Wars fun. But you couldn't pay me to go for the Platinum trophy in this game. Way too much busywork required and fecking around with different stances.
They're actually really easy to platinum.

Siorac

They're actually really easy to platinum.
Dunno. I've beaten the game and I'm at 38%, 22 trophies out of 54.

I still have trophies like "defeat 50 enemies under the effect of Slow". I haven't used Slow once after the tutorial part when I was forced to so it would be a lot of grinding. Or there's the "Defeat 10 enemies with shots using the Point Blank skill' - I haven't used the blaster for more than ten minutes after getting it so that trophy would require respeccing, learning how to actually use the skill and then grind out enough enemies.

Also, the "You've Got A Friend" trophy would require a new playthrough as far as I'm aware. Companion assist is another thing I never used. Then there's the "Avoid 50 attacks using Focus Sight" - after completing the game and looking at the remaining trophies I realised I completely forgot about this ability even existed so once again, it would be quite the grind. "Pinpoint" against requires respeccing and using Double-bladed stance and then grind it out. Double-bladed stance is another thing I almost never used because all the cool kids use single-bladed sabers and Darth Maul is a poser for angsty teen edgelords. And then there's the stupid stuff, like dropkick an enemy while wearing a mullet. Yeah, sure. I'm not even sure I got the mullet so I'd have to go looking for it.

Oh, and of course there's a garden-related trophy, too! feck that, too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Dunno. I've beaten the game and I'm at 38%, 22 trophies out of 54.

I still have trophies like "defeat 50 enemies under the effect of Slow". I haven't used Slow once after the tutorial part when I was forced to so it would be a lot of grinding. Or there's the "Defeat 10 enemies with shots using the Point Blank skill' - I haven't used the blaster for more than ten minutes after getting it so that trophy would require respeccing, learning how to actually use the skill and then grind out enough enemies.

Also, the "You've Got A Friend" trophy would require a new playthrough as far as I'm aware. Companion assist is another thing I never used. Then there's the "Avoid 50 attacks using Focus Sight" - after completing the game and looking at the remaining trophies I realised I completely forgot about this ability even existed so once again, it would be quite the grind. "Pinpoint" against requires respeccing and using Double-bladed stance and then grind it out. Double-bladed stance is another thing I almost never used because all the cool kids use single-bladed sabers and Darth Maul is a poser for angsty teen edgelords. And then there's the stupid stuff, like dropkick an enemy while wearing a mullet. Yeah, sure. I'm not even sure I got the mullet so I'd have to go looking for it.

Oh, and of course there's a garden-related trophy, too! feck that, too.
They sound daunting but they are really easy and quick. They can all be completed within one playthrough. The only time consuming stuff is something like buying all of the items from the shop because you need to collect 100 shards.

In terms of other games that aren't indie, this and Fallen Order are easy to platinum if you don't mind spending another 5-10 hours post game doing it. It can also be completed on any difficulty so it's accessible for any type of gamer unlike other games that sometimes have a complete on the hardest difficulty trophy.

I completed the main story and it took me 2-3 evenings to get all other trophies (aside from the bounty hunter bug one).

Siorac

They sound daunting but they are really easy and quick. They can all be completed within one playthrough. The only time consuming stuff is something like buying all of the items from the shop because you need to collect 100 shards.

In terms of other games that aren't indie, this and Fallen Order are easy to platinum if you don't mind spending another 5-10 hours post game doing it. It can also be completed on any difficulty so it's accessible for any type of gamer unlike other games that sometimes have a complete on the hardest difficulty trophy.

I completed the main story and it took me 2-3 evenings to get all other trophies (aside from the bounty hunter bug one).
I don't really have the motivation to spend 5-10 hours once the story is over though, that's the hard truth of it. It's not like a Souls game. And I didn't do platinum hunting in the Dark Souls games either because feck running around collecting rings and miracles (Sekiro, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls remake I did 100% though)

Also, I did say I would need another playthrough because of the companion assist thing. I haven't used it with either Bode or Merrin so I would need to start over (go to NG+, realistically. which I might do at one point in the future)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't really have the motivation to spend 5-10 hours once the story is over though, that's the hard truth of it. It's not like a Souls game. And I didn't do platinum hunting in the Dark Souls games either because feck running around collecting rings and miracles (Sekiro, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls remake I did 100% though)

Also, I did say I would need another playthrough because of the companion assist thing. I haven't used it with either Bode or Merrin so I would need to start over (go to NG+, realistically. which I might do at one point in the future)
That's fair, I'm just letting you know that they are easy to platinum if you want to spend time doing it. Unlike other games where difficulty and time is a factor, the only thing in this game that is a factor is time.

Also:

You can do it one playthrough because Merrin will be with you if you go to Jedha. :)

Scratch that. I didn't realise Bode was needed too. At least you get that in chapter one and can be done quickly!

Siorac

You can do it one playthrough because Merrin will be with you if you go to Jedha. :)
Everything I read says you have to ask for assistance from Merrin and Bode 10 times each in the same playthrough. It's not just one or the other.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everything I read says you have to ask for assistance from Merrin and Bode 10 times each in the same playthrough. It's not just one or the other.
I just checked a site and it says you can do it over different playthroughs - you can just start a new game and do the Bode one in the first 15/20 mins.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How does it run on ps5 now? Been tempted to get it but I’ve heard bad things about performance.
If you put on performance mode and turn everything off it runs pretty well. Annoying that's the case but yeah.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Maybe I’ll wait a while til it’s cheaper then. Respawn were pretty good for updates on the first anyway.
I think that's a good idea, some of the gameplay and cut scenes would have been even better if they were played at a higher standard.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They finally fixed the bounty hunts. Just quickly installed the patch and hit the platinum!

Ady87

Must be 20+ hours in to this now. Trying to cram it in before COD drops and I inevitably play a lot of that over the winter. I was hoping to have finished it sooner to be able to do a chunk of Spiderman or Assasins Creed before COD but the game just keeps going.

I like any game with a skills tree and upgrades/unlockables so this game really ticks those boxes well, the combat is satisfying on the harder difficulty settings. I assume I’m near the end now, I’ve got to be, I’ve not done tons of rumours or anything but I must have done a bit to still be going at this point!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Got this for Christmas, stuck it on Jedi master for proper Souls experience. Really enjoying it. The Rancor fight early on is nonsense though. Cheap boss with stupid one shot attacks. feck off.

Herman Toothrot

Got this for Christmas, stuck it on Jedi master for proper Souls experience. Really enjoying it. The Rancor fight early on is nonsense though. Cheap boss with stupid one shot attacks. feck off.
I quickly got annoyed at dying and story-moded the feck out of it. Slashing the Rancor in three hits did feel more than a bit cheaty, but I enjoy the zero challenge of slicing through hoards of stormtoopers and feeling like a proper Jedi. Albeit a ginger Jedi.

Massive Spanner

I quickly got annoyed at dying and story-moded the feck out of it. Slashing the Rancor in three hits did feel more than a bit cheaty, but I enjoy the zero challenge of slicing through hoards of stormtoopers and feeling like a proper Jedi. Albeit a ginger Jedi.
Nah I’ve enjoyed the challenge so far. It’s a Souls-like so it being easy feels pointless, but I hate bullshit bosses like that. It has a literal one shot kill for feck sake.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nah I’ve enjoyed the challenge so far. It’s a Souls-like so it being easy feels pointless, but I hate bullshit bosses like that. It has a literal one shot kill for feck sake.
Yeah I've never understood the huge level disparity with this game at times. It's the same for those fecking frog things.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Also got this as a Xmas gift in the sales.

Still haven’t touched it yet.

Massive Spanner

The targeting system is also absolute pants. Just wildly switches between the wrong enemies all the time. And never to the one right in front of you.

Stacks

Also got this as a Xmas gift in the sales.

Still haven’t touched it yet.
Started playing last week on PS5. Its awesome. Up there with KOTOR in terms of single player star wars games (not as good story, RGP elements or characters) but because its current gen, the game play elements are far superior (graphics, animations, combat, movement etc). I think it should be the basis for STAR wars single player games going forward.