Film Star Wars

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So, not in May. Shame that the tradition is broken, but at-least there are a few months to prepare it better.

John Williams returning for the score are fantastic news. He is 81 and apparently he was in retirement, but still he is great. Star Wars has one of the best music scores in the history of movies so him returning is :drool:
I couldn't imagine the movies without him. There are however a number of excellent composers out there who probably could do a nice job.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
By the way, according to the BBC. You don't actually have to act during the audition, it's just general questions and a face to face chat. But they had to turn people away by the sounds of it due to time restraints, so if you do plan to try, then I suggest you get there nice and early.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why I am not English/Irish? Would have tried my luck if I was eligible.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So, one of my friends has never seen any Star Wars before, and as I have them all on blu-ray (well my brother does) she insists we watch them all over the coming weeks. Now, being that I want the experience to get better as it goes along, we're going in George Lucas order, and yesterday we started with Phantom Menace... a few things stood out to me:

• How fecking racist are those trade federation gimps? They are exactly like badly dubbed old chinease martial arts films... but not played for comedy.
  • George Lucas is wank at naming things.... case point "Well these aren't just ordinary droids... they roll around and move fast... much like cars... in fact, I'll call them droidykars"
  • Those rolly droid things are so powerful, why on earth didn't Vadar want them as part of his Empire? Oh wait...
  • Not only is Jar Jar Binks awful, he now looks terrible on blu-ray. With all the humans being in HD, it makes it so blanatly obvious it's a CG creation... it might as well be Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
  • Fake Queen Amidala actually makes the REAL Queen Amidala clean a droid... what the feck? That's your queen!
  • Mind tricks don't work on that flying alien... mainly because they can't for the plot to progress and George Lucas is lazy... but also because he's a Toydarian... or something
  • It really doesn't take much to have a senate reform. One vote of no confidence? Jesus christ... I realise such motions exist, but it usually takes more then one pissed of person to change who's in charge... surely?!
  • Palpatine's plan is all over the place... he doesn't want her to leave the planet, but he needs her to leave the planet to vote no confidence? what?
  • I could go on, but I'll leave with the most sinister thing... in pretty much the very last shot, 19 year old Natalie Portman turns towards that 9/10 year boy Anakin, smiles, and then bites her lip.... it's fecking weird.

Anyway, I conclude that this is probably the worst Star Wars film...

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Admit it, the thought of 19 year old Natalie Portman and 10 year old Anakin gave you a raging boner. You sick feck.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Well, more it maintained my boner that I already had after seeing little boy Greedo... (Seriously, why the feck is Greedo in this movie?!)

Revan

Assumptionman
So, one of my friends has never seen any Star Wars before, and as I have them all on blu-ray (well my brother does) she insists we watch them all over the coming weeks. Now, being that I want the experience to get better as it goes along, we're going in George Lucas order, and yesterday we started with Phantom Menace... a few things stood out to me:
  • Those rolly droid things are so powerful, why on earth didn't Vadar want them as part of his Empire? Oh wait...
  • Fake Queen Amidala actually makes the REAL Queen Amidala clean a droid... what the feck? That's your queen!
  • Mind tricks don't work on that flying alien... mainly because they can't for the plot to progress and George Lucas is lazy... but also because he's a Toydarian... or something
  • It really doesn't take much to have a senate reform. One vote of no confidence? Jesus christ... I realise such motions exist, but it usually takes more then one pissed of person to change who's in charge... surely?!
  • Palpatine's plan is all over the place... he doesn't want her to leave the planet, but he needs her to leave the planet to vote no confidence? what?
  • I could go on, but I'll leave with the most sinister thing... in pretty much the very last shot, 19 year old Natalie Portman turns towards that 9/10 year boy Anakin, smiles, and then bites her lip.... it's fecking weird.

* Why would he need them when he had the army of clones under his control, which to be fair was possibly even more powerful. Also he wanted to get rid of all other actors of the war, and those droids were in control of Trade Confederation and other organizations.

* Wasn't that the entire point? To make everyone believe that Keira Knightley nor Natalie Portman was Queen Amidala.

* Mind tricks don't work in many other organisms in Star Wars saga.

* Chancellor Valorium didn't had much popularity because of the scandals that were in Republic and the entire senate was very corrupted. Add to that Palpatine (and Plagueis) plotted the scheme so pretty much many senators were waiting for Padme calling the vote of no-confidence.

* She was 17 :wenger:

Saying that, the movie was pretty awful in many aspects. Only after I read the novelization and Darth Plagueis book, some things started to make sense (well to be acceptable). Still like it because it is Star Wars, but it is a very mediocre movie. Easily the worst Star Wars movie (if you don't include the horrible cartoon movie that is between Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith).

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I was meerly playing it for comedy, so I won't say too much, but 2) That doesn't make sense - nobody, literally nobody, was sat in that room saying "You know what, I bet that's not the queen... that one over there is the queen... oh she's cleaning a droid? on second thoughts...." just being in disguise is surely enough! You don't need to make the poor actually clean do manual labour!... this is without getting into the fact that there is no reason whatsoever for her not to be the actually queen in that scene - as she's not under any immediate threat... which makes me believe she's probably never the queen... lazy bitch. I'm not complaining though, as it's another bit of superb unintentional comedy

and 4) Exactly, which makes him telling the Trade Federation to make sure she doesn't leave the planet all the more baffling...

If you treat Phantom Menace (haha, menace... that's basically like calling it The Phantom Pest... which would have at least had aliteration working for it) as an unintentional comedy, it's great fun.

Revan

Assumptionman
I was meerly playing it for comedy, so I won't say too much, but 2) That doesn't make sense - nobody, literally nobody, was sat in that room saying "You know what, I bet that's not the queen... that one over there is the queen... oh she's cleaning a droid? on second thoughts...." just being in disguise is surely enough! You don't need to make the poor actually clean do manual labour!... this is without getting into the fact that there is no reason whatsoever for her not to be the actually queen in that scene - as she's not under any immediate threat... which makes me believe she's probably never the queen... lazy bitch. I'm not complaining though, as it's another bit of superb unintentional comedy

and 4) Exactly, which makes him telling the Trade Federation to make sure she doesn't leave the planet all the more baffling...

If you treat Phantom Menace (haha, menace... that's basically like calling it The Phantom Pest... which would have at least had aliteration working for it) as an unintentional comedy, it's great fun.
Also, don't forget 'there is always a bigger fish' scene on the oceans of Naboo. It was very childish.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
True, the line should have been "There is generally a bigger fish..." as for there to always be a bigger fish is surely some mind bending implausibility....

I also didn't mention the weird Indian secretary that the Trade Federation have who informs they they've gone through the ventilation shaft.

Snow

• How fecking racist are those trade federation gimps? They are exactly like badly dubbed old chinease martial arts films... but not played for comedy.
  • George Lucas is wank at naming things.... case point "Well these aren't just ordinary droids... they roll around and move fast... much like cars... in fact, I'll call them droidykars"
  • Not only is Jar Jar Binks awful, he now looks terrible on blu-ray. With all the humans being in HD, it makes it so blanatly obvious it's a CG creation... it might as well be Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

They're not exactly racist. Palpatine is racist. That's clear. Everything non-human are lesser beings in his eyes. They're just his puppets essentially.

I'm not sure if Lucas named it but it's much more complicated than that. The -eka suffix comes from the language of another alien species where these droids are originally made. They are very strong but also very expensive.

Jar-Jar was quite obviously CGI before BluRay. That's what you get when you're a movie maker in the era of guinea-pig CGI. Can you imagine how shit Pacific Rim will look 10 years from now?

Mind thing isn't laziness. Part of the universe. Naturally some are immune to it. Humans can be as well to an extent. If you look into the EU you'll get to know how many species there actually are.

It does yes. But Palpatine is an extremely powerful Sith. It doesn't come across well enough in the "hectology" how powerful he is. A normal person wouldn't be able to do that.

There's a lot wrong with that movie.

Revan

Assumptionman
Any new on when is episode seven is going to be set?
It hasn't been confirmed but 99% it will be 3-4 decades after Return of The Jedi. Will they totally feck off EU or not is the most important question for me (and the reason why I wanted it to either be an adaptation of Heir to the Empire, set on the past or set somewhere on the future).

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
It hasn't been confirmed but 99% it will be 3-4 decades after Return of The Jedi. Will they totally feck off EU or not is the most important question for me (and the reason why I wanted it to either be an adaptation of Heir to the Empire, set on the past or set somewhere on the future).
Any word on who the main antagonist will be?

Revan

Assumptionman
Darth Bane :devil:
Would have loved the new trilogy to be based on his era but still they went with the easy choice. Of course reviving any character be it Revan, Darth Bane, Palpatine or Plagueis would be cheapish and wrong IMO. I hope that they are better than that. I also think that the chances of reviving anyone except Palpatine or Vader are practically zero.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
They're not exactly racist. Palpatine is racist. That's clear. Everything non-human are lesser beings in his eyes. They're just his puppets essentially.
You misunderstand, I don't mean the characters themselves are racist - I mean they all have terrible dodgy foreign accents and really terribly lip-synching!!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Would have loved the new trilogy to be based on his era but still they went with the easy choice. Of course reviving any character be it Revan, Darth Bane, Palpatine or Plagueis would be cheapish and wrong IMO. I hope that they are better than that. I also think that the chances of reviving anyone except Palpatine or Vader are practically zero.
The castings have been leaked already haven't they? If they were reviving Vader I think we'd probably know about it, I hope so anyway, his story is done.

Revan

Assumptionman
The castings have been leaked already haven't they? If they were reviving Vader I think we'd probably know about it, I hope so anyway, his story is done.
Well there seems to be two young boys and a new young guy who will have some roles. (Jacen, Ben and Jaina perhaps :eek:)

I would hate if they are Luke's and Leia's kids but have different names and different personalities.

I don't think that Vader will appear but wouldn't rule it out just because of his personality. Won't make sense though.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I'm not too keen on the idea of Vader returning, never really liked his character, at least not as much as he was rated.

Snow

You misunderstand, I don't mean the characters themselves are racist - I mean they all have terrible dodgy foreign accents and really terribly lip-synching!!
Ahh, the thing about some of them sound Mexican and what have you. Yea, a bit stereotypical. But it's what we have to go by. It's not any different than any other movie where we have Germans and Russians speaking English instead of their native language. In Star Wars, Basic is the universal language (how's that for nomenclature). It's not the native language of most, by far. So everyone has their form of accent. You can't have them speak perfect English (basic) like so many humans from the Core worlds. Just be thankful that Luke Skywalker doesn't talk with a Southern accent or something like that :p

Revan

Assumptionman
Generating some Star Wars nerdish debate:

What do you think would have happened if both Yoda and Kenobi would have gone to fight Palps together (ignoring Skywalker)? Kenobi was the third-fourth most powerful Jedi of his time so it isn't out of question that they would have defeated him.

Also, why the heck Mace stupid Windu didn't wait for Yoda and Kenobi before he went to fight Palpatine. I think that with any of them on the team, Palpatine would have lost. And Kenobi would have controled Skywalker.

Stupid Jedi!

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation

What do you think would have happened if both Yoda and Kenobi would have gone to fight Palps together (ignoring Skywalker)? Kenobi was the third-fourth most powerful Jedi of his time so it isn't out of question that they would have defeated him.

Also, why the heck Mace stupid Windu didn't wait for Yoda and Kenobi before he went to fight Palpatine. I think that with any of them on the team, Palpatine would have lost. And Kenobi would have controled Skywalker.

Stupid Jedi!
I've not watched the films in 2-3 years so I'll have to watch them again before I enter a nerdish debate.

What is your favourite era in Star Wars?

Revan

Assumptionman
I've not watched the films in 2-3 years so I'll have to watch them again before I enter a nerdish debate.

What is your favourite era in Star Wars?
Dunno. Possibly Koror/TOR/Exar Kun era.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Stupid Jedi!
Come on Revan... all good plans start with people splitting up! All good horror films teach us this.

Revan

Assumptionman
Come on Revan... all good plans start with people splitting up! All good horror films teach us this.
It was stupid though. If they defeated Palps, job done. If Palps defeated them, they lose. If Palps defeated Yoda and Kenobi defeated Skywalker, they lose. If Palps defeated Yoda and Kenobi defeated but didn't kill Skywalker, they lose again.

According to game theory, they practically made the worst possible choice that minimized the chances of them winning. Skywalker without Palps didn't represent that much danger (well at-least for some time).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The whole prequel trilogy is full of bad story writing.

Changing the force into a chemicals (Midichlorians) that somehow runs in your blood is against Star Wars spirit but new generation of hipsters needs to have everything explained these days.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Well lets only deal with Phantom Menace for... my write-up of Attack of The Clones will come next week.

arthurka

Yeah not only Star Wars but has to go down as one of the worst period!
I saw it in Germany and when I came out from the theater I thought wait a minute either I missed the plot due to bad knowledge of the German language or this movie sucks hairy balls! Little did I know but when I saw it again months later in english it just sucked hairy balls!

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Yeah not only Star Wars but has to go down as one of the worst period!
I saw it in Germany and when I came out from the theater I thought wait a minute either I missed the plot due to bad knowledge of the German language or this movie sucks hairy balls! Little did I know but when I saw it again months later in english it just sucked hairy balls!
feck's sake, everybody hates this film except me. Darth Maul is awesome and so is Jar Jar Binks!