Film Star Wars

kps88

If I was a big Star Wars fan I think I'd be pretty dissapointed at those two being allowed anywhere near the films. My general impression is that they are utter hacks.
Same. Out of all the interesting directors out there they pick these two and give them multiple films....

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
So arguably the perfect pair to herd the unworldly mess that is the expanded universe? Again, as I must seemingly qualify with every post, all opinions are valid, but these guys oversaw the most spectacular and acclaimed blockbuster television series of all time. Yep, opinions more divided about the last season, but franchise fatigue and an urge to get the project finished is understandable, that the source material ran out is hardly their failing.
True, but the significant drop off in quality (in basically every aspect) without that source material is their failing. It's not just the last season that opinions are divided on it's been declining for a while. That's not to say that I personally don't still enjoy it, I just enjoy it differently to the way I did before.

I'm not going to dismiss them entirely because only time will tell how well they do I guess. I'll still watch everything Star Wars regardless of who's at the helm :lol:

beedoubleyou

True, but the significant drop off in quality (in basically every aspect) without that source material is their failing. It's not just the last season that opinions are divided on it's been declining for a while. That's not to say that I personally don't still enjoy it, I just enjoy it differently to the way I did before.

I'm not going to dismiss them entirely because only time will tell how well they do I guess. I'll still watch everything Star Wars regardless of who's at the helm :lol:
That's fair, but equally, the GoT story was inevitably going to go from being War of The Roses with very slight fantasy elements, to being full blown fantasy adventure with dragons and ice monsters. That was where the story had to go and I think it's been handled quite nicely and on a scale never so well realised on the small screen. I much preferred the ultra violent warring families story, but winter was always coming. Totally understand the complaints about the pace too, but there's a lot to get through and while I'm sure many would like to see it plod on for several more series, I don't think it's a realistic ask of the creative team or cast.

I'm struggling to see this as something to be worried about or out-of-the-blocks hate on (not that you were, but y'know... Internet). Interestingly, producing and writing, not directing. Directors in television and cinema have very different roles so it's not just going to come down to the ability of these two men... who again, did showrun the most spectacular and acclaimed action television event of our time (probably).

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
That's fair, but equally, the GoT story was inevitably going to go from being War of The Roses with very slight fantasy elements, to being full blown fantasy adventure with dragons and ice monsters. That was where the story had to go and I think it's been handled quite nicely and on a scale never so well realised on the small screen. I much preferred the ultra violent warring families story, but winter was always coming. Totally understand the complaints about the pace too, but there's a lot to get through and while I'm sure many would like to see it plod on for several more series, I don't think it's a realistic ask of the creative team or cast.

I'm struggling to see this as something to be worried about or out-of-the-blocks hate on (not that you were, but y'know... Internet). Interestingly, producing and writing, not directing. Directors in television and cinema have very different roles so it's not just going to come down to the ability of these two men... who again, did showrun the most spectacular and acclaimed action television event of our time (probably).
I'm a huge fantasy fan so the move into that territory isn't something I have a gripe with, I don't even have a problem with the teleporting that lots of others see as an issue - my gripe is pretty much entirely with the way they've written the characters, their dialogue, decision making and general story progression. It's just riddled with obvious/standard tropes and cliches that I felt were subverted, minimized or avoided for the period they had the books to draw on. I don't feel they're as competent as the first few seasons would seem to indicate.

I realise I'm coming across as super negative here so I do feel the need to reiterate that I still very much enjoy GoT :lol: I'm just trying to explain my own viewpoint on them as writers and producers. I hope they do well with whatever elements of Star Wars they're working with, because I'll be watching everything regardless :D

Yagami

Good post resistant
I hope it's about Kyle Katarn. Then again, i like Kyle, so i dunno aboot tha'!

Art Vandelay

I hope it's about Dengar and how he's actually related to Sy Snootles.

Hopefully it's more like The Mandalorian, fun and entertaining which adds to Star Wars, and less like the "sequels" which just made other things worse.

Revan

Assumptionman
You're right, but i want to pretend 7-9 don't exist.
Right, they're pretty awful. To be fair, in legends, most of post-ROTJ was nonsense too, but Thrawn trilogy is probably the best Star Wars thing right there, and Katarn games were great.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I hope it's about Dengar and how he's actually related to Sy Snootles.

Hopefully it's more like The Mandalorian, fun and entertaining which adds to Star Wars, and less like the "sequels" which just made other things worse.
What happened to Sy Snootles? Did she make it off of the barge?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm gonna have to google and edit this but there was a story arc in the books about a great character and his story line.

Be right back.

*Thrawn*

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The bounty hunter trilogy was also a really enjoyable set of books from the 90s star wars stuff.

The scenes with Boba Fett and Bossk trying to one up each other were great.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Might put some time aside to finally watch this over the next few weeks.

Art Vandelay

What happened to Sy Snootles? Did she make it off of the barge?
Apparently she went back to being a solo singer after her and the rest of the Max Rebo band survived the barge. She also thought Rey was great and decided that Rey could have her ship or her name or anything she wanted because she's a strong female character.