Film Star Wars

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Did they also really make Luke go evil for the sake of it with a cloned Palpatine in a later series? These writers had obviously gone mad with power.
That ending was indeed irritating- cloned Luke was fine* but his name was not.

There's a lot of exaggeration in that thread (fine) mixed with deliberate non-explanations (irritating)...I guess why I like the books is because you're led to these conclusions fairly logically and within the rules of the universe. Like, "wasn't the Empire all blown up?" No, the book explains clearly that after the Death Star and Palpy+Vader were dead, the aimless Imperials mostly retreated in confusion, including this particular ship on which the novel starts. Then over a few chapters Thrawn convinces the dimwit under him that the confusion was because they had become used to relying on Palps using the force to subtly augment and synchronise the actions of his troops, which leads to the plot point of "let's go look for this rumoured Jedi and force him to do the same". (which leads to force-resistant lice as a way to be alive while dealing with mad Jedi). And so on, and so on, it's well laid out. For example the clones are created by the coning factory that was used in the ... clone wars as described by Kenobi in 1977, and with no AOTC around to screw with canon, those clones could be as defective as you wished.

*They had spent 2 books leading to an elaborate plan involving clones, Thrawn capturing Luke, and distrusting the Jedi he had been "using" till then, so it all added up.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That ending was indeed irritating- cloned Luke was fine* but his name was not.

There's a lot of exaggeration in that thread (fine) mixed with deliberate non-explanations (irritating)...I guess why I like the books is because you're led to these conclusions fairly logically and within the rules of the universe. Like, "wasn't the Empire all blown up?" No, the book explains clearly that after the Death Star and Palpy+Vader were dead, the aimless Imperials mostly retreated in confusion, including this particular ship on which the novel starts. Then over a few chapters Thrawn convinces the dimwit under him that the confusion was because they had become used to relying on Palps using the force to subtly augment and synchronise the actions of his troops, which leads to the plot point of "let's go look for this rumoured Jedi and force him to do the same". (which leads to force-resistant lice as a way to be alive while dealing with mad Jedi). And so on, and so on, it's well laid out. For example the clones are created by the coning factory that was used in the ... clone wars as described by Kenobi in 1977, and with no AOTC around to screw with canon, those clones could be as defective as you wished.

*They had spent 2 books leading to an elaborate plan involving clones, Thrawn capturing Luke, and distrusting the Jedi he had been "using" till then, so it all added up.
I'm sure it's fine (I enjoyed the Rama sequels so who am I to talk), had just always assumed that Luuke had been part of the EU that had become ridiculous largely because of the name.

Although to be honest Space Sherlock sounds a bit annoying, possibly because I grew to hate that show (and its writers) immensely.

Revan

Assumptionman
Did they also really make Luke go evil for the sake of it with a cloned Palpatine in a later series? These writers had obviously gone mad with power.
Didn't read those comics but yes, Clone Palps which was essentially Goku-powerful corrupted Like for some time. It gets worse with powers after that.

Btw, Clone Palps was Palps spirit in a Clone body. Because yeah.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For overpowered people, I don't think anything matches this:

Tenebrae's stepfather confronted his wife in front of a six-year-old Tenebrae, and he proceeded to attack her in anger after she admitted to having had an affair with Lord Dramath. However, Tenebrae fed off the man's anger to fuel his own strength in the dark side, and he used his newfound powers to telekinetically break the farmer's neck. Tenebrae then tortured his mother for months with the Force before killing her for betraying their family, and began to subjugate the other members of his village with his powers. Over the course of the next four years, Tenebrae's influence and reputation grew as he conquered neighboring villages and raised legions of followers. Some followed the child out of fear of his immense power, while others served out of fanatical loyalty. Tenebrae massacred thousands during his rise to power, and tortured people for days in public executions as he fed off their suffering.[1]

Lord Dramath heard rumors of his son's activities, but because they occurred on the remote[1] northern continent[2]—and also due to the fact that he had forgotten about his affair with Tenebrae's mother—the Sith Lordbelieved that the events were of no concern to him. When Tenebrae was around the age of ten, Dramath decided to investigate the rumors of the boy's activities and determine whether he should be killed or become one of his servants. However, the Sith Lord underestimated his son's abilities; after revealing his true parentage, Tenebrae stripped Dramath of his power in the Force and drove the man insane before killing him.
But when the eight thousand Sith who answered Vitiate's call[15] arrived at his palace, he dominated their minds and bound their wills to his, forcing the Sith to participate in the ritual.[1] The ritual itself took ten days to perform,[2] with the entire planet frozen in the grip of the dark side sorcery, and upon its completion all life on the surface of Nathema was annihilated save for Vitiate. The man absorbed the life force of the entire world, stripping the Force from the very fabric of reality on Nathema and gaining both unimaginable power and immortality as a result. At that moment, the man shed his identity as Lord Vitiate and became simply the Emperor, a figure of immense power and wisdom in the eyes of his fellow Sith.[1]
The former Emperor's Wrath revealed to the Jedi Council that the Emperor intended to complete the life-consuming ritual again on a galactic scale, but the ritual required a sacrifice of billions of simultaneous deaths to start.[32] To that end, the Emperor sent the high-ranking Executor Krannusand his death **** to the recently discovered Republic prison world of Belsavis. Knowing that the fanatically loyal **** would gladly sacrifice their lives for him, the Emperor orchestrated an Imperial attack to serve as a distraction[85] so that Krannus could detonate the planet's power core; the resulting explosion would ripple through hyperspace and consume all of the neighboring systems.

That was just inredibly stupid writing.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh ya

FFS

Palpy:

The best send-up of the madness of the old EU:
Vitiate is God-like powerful but even RotS Palpatine was canonically stronger, while returned Palps is significantly stronger than his movie version. Additionally, BioWare created him very much based on Palps (as Revan was based on Vader).

I think that the strongest is Abeloth who was 12 times as powerful as Luke (who at that stage was significantly stronger than EU Palps). How did the author came with that number? I guess he got it from his arse.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've finished the main game (where he 'dies' after trying to eat planets) but not the expansions (where he also 'dies' :lol:)...
He didn't die. It was just a Voice of him, essentially his spirit in some other body, which made his weakened. His true body was somewhere else, and actually he has been splintered in two parts. Revan was significantly stronger than Hero of Thython and lost to Vitiated when Vitiate was at his best. Anyway, Obsidian started this madness of God-like powerful characters with Nihilius (who actually made sense in the context of the game which had a nihilistic topic, and Exile was meant as his counterpart) so BioWare had to top him with Vitiate (and in comics Sidious makes Vitiate look like a puppy and Abeloth makes Sidious look like an insect in comparison).

Vitiate was killed in the last expansion. I hope that BioWare don't return him. It is becoming a joke with him and Revan repeatedly dying and returning.

Last edited:

Simbo

"I've never seen Star Wars" ...Process to recite the entire story of star wars.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
(EDIT - very false alarm, it's just a bit of a shit piss-take that I somehow believed despite featuring stick men drawings. Says a lot about my expectations for Solo.)(8 tweet thread)

Jesus christ I'm relieved this never happened :lol: that's fan fiction bad. And...incredibly distasteful?

Last edited:

Dan

They’re taking their time getting the Solo trailer out. If it’s not out during the Superbowl then something is seriously wrong with this film.

beedoubleyou

They’re taking their time getting the Solo trailer out. If it’s not out during the Superbowl then something is seriously wrong with this film.
I think we would all be shocked if there isn't something seriously wrong with this film. But you know, there's always hope... especially in this galaxy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think we would all be shocked if there isn't something seriously wrong with this film. But you know, there's always hope... especially in this galaxy.
Yeah supposedly production went terribly, the fact there's so little promotion means it'll probably be a bit shit.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yeah supposedly production went terribly, the fact there's so little promotion means it'll probably be a bit shit.
Supposedly Disney has written it off. I have a friend that did concept artwork for Rogue One and the Han solo movie and the rumours are that the Han Solo movie is a turkey.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The dude I know isn’t allowed to talk about anything he see’s or here’s about the film but he did tell me that there is conflicting information circulating about the Solo movie internally.

One train of thought is that what the original directors shot wasn’t even able to be edited into a film.

The other train of thought is that what was shot was great but wasn’t in line with what Disney wanted. Under this scenario some are saying that due to how rushed the re-shoots were, Howard’s vision was only about 10% realised and is an absolute disaster.

We’ll just have to wait and see. The truth will eventually come out.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Wouldnt they put it back 6 months to tidy it up then rather than let a turkey go out?

beedoubleyou

Solo: A Star Wars Story will be known as Ranger Solo in China. Star Wars brand toxic there? Probably full of Brexiters.
Yeah Star Wars had never been big in China and the movies that are big, usually aren't any good, often they'll stick in a scene either set in China or featuring a Chinese movie star to help promote it. It's usually quite cynical and quite clearly tacked on. I think one of the Iron Mans did it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was a big Star Wars fan I think I'd be pretty dissapointed at those two being allowed anywhere near the films. My general impression is that they are utter hacks.

Art Vandelay

If I was a big Star Wars fan I think I'd be pretty dissapointed at those two being allowed anywhere near the films. My general impression is that they are utter hacks.
I'm a big Star Wars fan and was formerly a big GoT fan, I'm incredibly disappointed. Your impression is quite accurate.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I wouldn't say hacks, but GoT has certainly lowered the bar since they had to start actually writing original content for it.

beedoubleyou

I wouldn't say hacks, but GoT has certainly lowered the bar since they had to start actually writing original content for it.
So arguably the perfect pair to herd the unworldly mess that is the expanded universe? Again, as I must seemingly qualify with every post, all opinions are valid, but these guys oversaw the most spectacular and acclaimed blockbuster television series of all time. Yep, opinions more divided about the last season, but franchise fatigue and an urge to get the project finished is understandable, that the source material ran out is hardly their failing.

There is an awful lot of good and bad Star Wars material out there to work with and seems crazy to dismiss these guys out of hand... but y'know, Internet! The other Star Wars thread is complaining that the last three films failed to capture the magic of the prequels, which for me, gave the world nothing but meme material. So to quote Obi Wan; Internet, you truly are lost.

GBBQ