Film Star Wars

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Ah, yeah, of course, but thought that date might be important as well.

Found some info...

http://www.starwars.com/may-the-4th

"May the 4th be with you." What started as pun warmly shared by fans has become a full-fledged Star Warsholiday: Star Wars Day, a special once-a-year celebration of the galaxy far, far away.

One of the earliest known records of “May the 4th” used in popular culture is in 1979, as described here by author Alan Arnold while he was chronicling the making of The Empire Strikes Back for Lucasfilm:

FRIDAY, MAY 4
“Margaret Thatcher has won the election and become Britain’s first woman prime minister. To celebrate their victory her party took a half page of advertising space in the London Evening News. This message, referring to the day of victory, was ‘May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations,’ further proof of the extent to which Star Wars has influenced us all.”

GBBQ

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I thought they were a great choice for a Han Solo movie, a bit more lighthearted than TFA and Rogue 1. Away from the force and the empire.
I don't think light hearted works in the Star Wars universe though. It's not like you can add some 70's music like Guardians to jazz it up. Firefly and Serenity was lighthearted at times but the overall plot was still dark. The last thing Disney wants to do is ruin Han Solos character by making a shit film.

GBBQ

I don't think light hearted works in the Star Wars universe though. It's not like you can add some 70's music like Guardians to jazz it up. Firefly and Serenity was lighthearted at times but the overall plot was still dark. The last thing Disney wants to do is ruin Han Solos character by making a shit film.
I don't mean to the level of Guardians but we know prior to A New Hope Han had absolutely nothing to do with the rebellion and from Rogue One we know that people lived their life just ignoring what was going on so its possible to have a story away from the high life/death drama of the force and the empire where they're basically just space cowboy smugglers.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't mean to the level of Guardians but we know prior to A New Hope Han had absolutely nothing to do with the rebellion and from Rogue One we know that people lived their life just ignoring what was going on so its possible to have a story away from the high life/death drama of the force and the empire where they're basically just space cowboy smugglers.
Well, i'm pretty sure thats what the plot will be. Might have the odd Imperial presence now and then for foreshadowing purposes but TFA showed two factions and we've seen bounty hunters in ESB. I imagine we'll have the return of Jabba and some dodgy deal that goes south.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's now significantly less interesting to me without Lord & Miller at the helm. Though lets be honest, it wasn't high up to begin with. It's now just Donald Glover keeping me tenuously invested.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Ron Howard has taken over directing duties. Him being the Michael Bay of innocuous, middlebrow drama will surely make sure that Star Wars remains devoid any new and fresh elements.

kps88

They should stop being so precious with the stand alone movies. Let them break the Star Wars formula and be whatever they want.

Untied

It's now significantly less interesting to me without Lord & Miller at he helm. Though lets be honest, it wasn't high up to begin with. It's now just Donald Glover keeping me tenuously invested.
I was really looking forward to the Lord/Miller version. Now I'm imagining something like Rogue One, middling fan service.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I was really looking forward to the Lord/Miller version. Now I'm imagining something like Rogue One, middling fan service.
They've still shot the bulk of it, with their own (very funny) cast, so barring some extensive reshoots, a lot of their influence will still make it to screen (I mean, Edgar Wright was famously booted off AntMan before it even began, but there's still loads of his shit in there - The whole Thomas the Tank Engine battle is clearly him & Joe Cornish through and through. No American would ever think of that!) so it's not a complete wash. I imagine Howard will mainly just dull down the tone, cut some of the jokes and, as you say, make it more blandly middling.

It's definitely a shame though, as Lord & Miller have barely put a foot wrong since they broke through, and when you consider some of their projects, almost all of them could've been disastrous (I mean, who actually wanted a 21 Jump Street revival or a Lego movie before they saw the final products? No one, that's who.) so this was easily the most exciting of the Star Wars spin offs for that reason alone.

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I fell asleep during the first of the new ones and couldn't stomach more than 30 minutes of the second one.

Totally devoid of soul, charm and enthusiasm. They should get Joss Whedon to direct the next one so he can inject some much needed charm into the franchise again.

Fecking JJ. Abrams.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I fell asleep during the first of the new ones and couldn't stomach more than 30 minutes of the second one.

Totally devoid of soul, charm and enthusiasm. They should get Joss Whedon to direct the next one so he can inject some much needed charm into the franchise again.

Fecking JJ. Abrams.

From Abrams to Whedon. Not much improvement.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
From Abrams to Whedon. Not much improvement.
Whedon got the whole Space Opera segment locked down tight, Firefly and Serenity imo is the best Space Opera ever done.

He might be better in a series format though where he gets to expand on the characters and universe a bit more, Firefly \ Buffy \ Angel all good examples.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yeah, Firefly was nice, but he also did two huge budget Avengers films, which to me were pretty forgettable and 'charmless' flicks. Maybe they both just need great scripts. :cool:

bucky

Whedon is working for DC on Justice League and Batgirl. Doubt he has the time.

Untied

They've still shot the bulk of it, with their own (very funny) cast, so barring some extensive reshoots, a lot of their influence will still make it to screen (I mean, Edgar Wright was famously booted off AntMan before it even began, but there's still loads of his shit in there - The whole Thomas the Tank Engine battle is clearly him & Joe Cornish through and through. No American would ever think of that!) so it's not a complete wash. I imagine Howard will mainly just dull down the tone, cut some of the jokes and, as you say, make it more blandly middling.

It's definitely a shame though, as Lord & Miller have barely put a foot wrong since they broke through, and when you consider some of their projects, almost all of them could've been disastrous (I mean, who actually wanted a 21 Jump Street revival or a Lego movie before they saw the final products? No one, that's who.) so this was easily the most exciting of the Star Wars spin offs for that reason alone.
Yeah that's a fair point. It will be impossible to completely remove the Lord/Miller feel from the movie, it's just going to be very toned down. On that topic it'll be really interesting to see how much of Taika Waititi is in his Thor movie. The shorts he did suggests Marvel are quite happy for him to take the Thor character and turn him into something straight out of "What We Do in the Shadows". Perhaps they are loosening up a bit now we are so far into the franchise. But I'll still be surprised if they've actually let him do that in the movie.

And I hope Lord/Miller have a new project fairly soon. There's talk of them reviving their 'The Flash' film. Personally I'd like them to take over the direction of the animated Spider-man movie they are involved in, just because I love Spider-man.

GBBQ

Apparently, acting coach was hired for the lad who'll play Han Solo. :lol:

This is shaping to be great.
That sounds like BS to me. The guy has worked with Francis Ford Copolla, Sofia Copolla, Chan Wook Park, Woody Allen and the Cohen brothers. Probably just people looking for reasons why Lord & Miller were fired.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I watched ep 7 recently and it just seemed like ep 4 with different names.
I turned off Rogue One after 30 minutes.
It was fun when I was kid but shite now.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Episode 7 is a good movie. I can't forgive the whole bigger death star and First Order thing though and how it was handled. It almost made the the original trilogy story completely pointless.

arthurka

Episode 7 is a good movie. I can't forgive the whole bigger death star and First Order thing though and how it was handled. It almost made the the original trilogy story completely pointless.
Well you need bigger, better, faster, stronger.. Otherwise it's the same movie only with teenage angst and mood swings almost a sith..