Film Star Wars

zing

Zingle balls
It's fantasy made by people who have been licensed to do that. The likes of BioWare for example paid money to LucasArts to make the game in Star Wars universe. Even worse, they have decanonized stuff which they have made themselves (like The Force Unleashed).

In many cases LucasArts has intervened, for example the original plan on Thrawn Trilogy was that the rogue Jedi to be a clone of Obi Wan but Lucas said no, so Zahn had to change that and to make a new Jedi for that. In other cases, like Darth Plagueis novel Lucas himself worked with the author on the book. The Darth Bane trilogy basement was made by Lucas too. It's not that anyone could have write Star Wars stuff, but there were a selected few wgo got licenses to do that.

The shame is that pre Thrawn Trilogy things are very good and they don't contradict each other. After that trilogy things went bad and it was like a crazy race between different authors who'll make the Star Wars characters more powerful than Goku on DragonBallZ (and to be fair, some achieved that, as crazy as it sounds). That part was a no brainer that had to be removed, especially considering that it is anyway shit and it's on the same time as the new movies.

But stories of Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, The Old Republic stories, Darth Bane, Darth Plagueis, Kenobi novel, The Thrawn Trilogy had no need to be changed.

Anyway, I think that it won't have any effect at all. Movies anyway wouldn't have been affected from these stories, and most of the fans will have those stories anyway as their personal canon. There might be a nerd backslash if they without any particular reason decide to change stories from the past though. And if they somehow manage to change the names of Lucas/Leia kids, I guess that people won't be happy. And they too, because less people happy, less money for them.
Really disappointed that they decanonized these books. Grew up reading them.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Ewan Mc just did a frigging Alec Guinness impression the whole time anyway.
A shite one at that. To be fair to him though he was the stand-out in an otherwise bland and featureless cast of beige. Him and Natalie Portman..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't understand, why are people upset with the de-cannonisation for the extended universe? The books and games will still be there, what difference does it make?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Does anyone else think it's a bit shit that we're going to see Luke, Han and Leila in this new film?! I mean, the Star Wars Universe is meant to be so big - how come we kept getting bogged down in stories to do with the same people? I'm sure there's plenty of interesting, new stories to tell away from these lot.... and to be fair, I'm sure Disney will probably go on to tell them... but I don't know, I think going back to the well again on this one is asking for trouble.

Still, it'll be better than The Phantom Menace at least.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah it wasn't time traveler's wife, it was the one with Bill Nighy in it too.

Siorac

A shite one at that. To be fair to him though he was the stand-out in an otherwise bland and featureless cast of beige. Him and Natalie Portman..
I assume you mean Natalie Portman stood out because of some of the more revealing outfits she wore, right? Her acting skills certainly didn't shine through.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The cast is pretty underwhelming.

Not sure that having some of the old cast in it will work either. It worked pretty well in Star Trek having Spock, but his role was more of a passing on the torch type role than one that was there for any significant meaning. Think I'd have preferred a complete break from the old films and pushed the films into a new direction.

Revan

Assumptionman
The cast is pretty underwhelming.

Not sure that having some of the old cast in it will work either. It worked pretty well in Star Trek having Spock, but his role was more of a passing on the torch type role than one that was there for any significant meaning. Think I'd have preferred a complete break from the old films and pushed the films into a new direction.
Me too. I hoped that they'll go a few centuries on the future or a few millenia on the past to do so, but they decided that way. It's asking for trouble IMO.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It was all unknowns in the Star trek reboot so I'm not worried. What's important is who is writing the script and directing and that looks sound. So long as that Lindelof cnut is nowhere near the thing then it should be good.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't understand, why are people upset with the de-cannonisation for the extended universe? The books and games will still be there, what difference does it make?
I think people are rather upset because they're pretty much being told that the EU won't be filmed which is a shame because it has a lot of great stuff. Similar to the TMNT movie with how the turtles look. They're super weird in the trailers. With all the amount of excellent fan art available they instead try to invent the wheel again and the outcome is weird and pretty bad.

On the other hand, good on Hollywood. In this current world of movies that we're experiencing all the rage is just more of the same. The comic book movies are pretty much based on the comics so you kind of know what you're getting if you've read it. Whatever this movie will be it will be brand new for the fans. That's at least something even though it is a sort of rehash.

Revan

Assumptionman
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...ovie?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Another spin-off movie announced. I love Star Wars but this is becoming Call Of Duty now. I know that the idea of milking the series was from the beginning, but a movie every year is too much IMO.

Anyway, would be interesting to see what topics will have these two movies. I guess one of them will show us more about Boba Fett (the most one-dimensional character ever after Darth Maul).

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...ovie?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Another spin-off movie announced. I love Star Wars but this is becoming Call Of Duty now. I know that the idea of milking the series was from the beginning, but a movie every year is too much IMO.

Anyway, would be interesting to see what topics will have these two movies. I guess one of them will show us more about Boba Fett (the most one-dimensional character ever after Darth Maul).
It's not new, just the director announcements are new. When Disney announced they were making new films they said that their schedule was going to be

2015: Ep 7
2016: Spinoff (last month confirmed as being written by Gary Whitta and directed by Gareth Edwards of Godzilla fame)
2017: Ep 8
2018: Spinoff (Josh Trank)
2019: Ep 9

Chronicle was alright, even if it sort of fell apart at the end.

Revan

Assumptionman
Harrison Ford has been injured during the shots for the seventh episode. Apparently he lost concious and had to be sent to the hospital.

Member 39557

Harrison Ford has been injured during the shots for the seventh episode. Apparently he lost concious and had to be sent to the hospital.
BBC were reporting that he broke his ankle. If he lost consciousness then he's a pussy.

arthurka

Han Solo as an old fart! Re-write the script and Han Solo uses a cane in the future!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I blame Lucas for waiting twenty feckin years to make new Star Wars movies while dropping some pointless special editions that didn't even contain whole deleted scenes especially the one where Luke's building new lightsaber and Vader trying to communicate with him through way of the force.

Get well soon Harrison & Fak Yoo George.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
He has looked ancient for fecking years now. But he keeps truckin.
I thought it was really sudden. Somewhere around 2007 he went from looking like a slightly older and more grizzled Han Solo to looking legitimately old.

In the same way that Warwick Davis stopped growing after working with George Lucas on ROTJ I'm blaming Lucas for stealing his life force when they filmed that Crystal Skull shit

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He looked really frail at the Oscars.
He tends to get agitated in social situtations like that where he may have to do a speech, probably nerves. Besides, if I were seventy odd I'd love to be like him! Still seems like he can keep on acting till the end. I do believe he did a lot of his own stunts in the last indy movie.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've finally watched them. All of them in a week. While the old ones are far better, the new ones are decent too. I think people get too caught up with the magic of the old ones to appreciate EpI-III. Ep III was awesome, in my opinion. I also don't know why anyone would want to watch them in episode order. What made it so interesting was seeing things unfold in the past when I'd already seen the future.

Why do droids speak to each other in English? Surely they can communicate silently between each other instead of saying 'get them' out loud.
Also why do they get scared of things? Why would you make a robot that was scared of everything?

He wasn't seduced, he goes from whiny troubled teen to slaughtering a bunch of children with hardly a whimper. Hayden Christiansen completely faily to portray the anguish and indecision and just looks like your average moody teenager.
I disagree with this. You see Anakin become more and more disenchanted with the Jedi and their ways (not allowing him to be with who he loves and protect her) and with Kenobi. Add on to that how much he misses his mother and that Kenobi took him away from her. He loses his cool with the sand people because he wasn't ready to be in that kind of situation, and also probably because he hadn't had Jedi training instilled on him til later than he should've. That was a major turning point IMO.

By the time he chooses the dark side you've already seen glimpses of him going in that direction and killing the Jedi kids was probably the best thing he could do to make him more powerful.

Was he lied to about needing to be on the dark side to bring people back to life though? Did Obi Wan do it with what's her face or was she just injured by Vader?

Revan

Assumptionman
Was he lied to about needing to be on the dark side to bring people back to life though? Did Obi Wan do it with what's her face or was she just injured by Vader?
He was manipulated. The story of Darth Plagueis the Wise (told from Palpatine on that theatre) was true (though a bit changed in order to appeal more to Anakin). Recently was published a book about him (one of the best ever Star Wars books IMO) where it was confirmed that he was Palpatine's master and indirectly the reason why Anakin was created. Anyway, Palpatine saw that Anakin is struggling with those visions so he told that story to him in order to push him join the dark side. Obviously if Anakin wouldn't join the dark side, he wouldn't injure Padme at all and things would have gone completely different, likely with a much happy ending (always in motion, the future is).

Padme wasn't killed from Vader. Obi Was just healed her there from injuries. She later lost the will to live (a bit ridiculous) but physically she was fine. Just that Anakin went batshit crazy and couldn't realize that he was being played from Palpatine.

Agree about Revenge of the Sith, I think it is ace. Liked it very much (more than Return of the Jedi) despite it's flaws. The novelization (published a month before the movie was released) complements it very well and shows some other scenes with Anakin/Palpatine/Obi-Wan.

bucky

He was manipulated. The story of Darth Plagueis the Wise (told from Palpatine on that theatre) was true (though a bit changed in order to appeal more to Anakin). Recently was published a book about him (one of the best ever Star Wars books IMO) where it was confirmed that he was Palpatine's master and indirectly the reason why Anakin was created. Anyway, Palpatine saw that Anakin is struggling with those visions so he told that story to him in order to push him join the dark side. Obviously if Anakin wouldn't join the dark side, he wouldn't injure Padme at all and things would have gone completely different, likely with a much happy ending (always in motion, the future is).

Padme wasn't killed from Vader. Obi Was just healed her there from injuries. She later lost the will to live (a bit ridiculous) but physically she was fine. Just that Anakin went batshit crazy and couldn't realize that he was being played from Palpatine.

Agree about Revenge of the Sith, I think it is ace. Liked it very much (more than Return of the Jedi) despite it's flaws. The novelization (published a month before the movie was released) complements it very well and shows some other scenes with Anakin/Palpatine/Obi-Wan.
Have you read Stover's other Star Wars books? Personally they are my favourites and I don't get at all why he gets so much criticism for it. I've lost all interest in the expanded universe a few years ago, it was just quantity over quality and about making money for me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Have you read Stover's other Star Wars books? Personally they are my favourites and I don't get at all why he gets so much criticism for it. I've lost all interest in the expanded universe a few years ago, it was just quantity over quality and about making money for me.
I've started Shatterpoint a couple of years ago, but left it after a hundred pages or so. And then never returned to it.

I think that the new books on post Return of the Jedi era are a bit meh and haven't read that much there. However, there are many Star Wars great books. The Thrawn trilogy is super awesome and a must read but the likes of Darth Plagueis, Darth Bane trilogy, Revan, Kenobi are all worthy reading.

Trizy

Why do droids speak to each other in English? Surely they can communicate silently between each other instead of saying 'get them' out loud.
Also why do they get scared of things? Why would you make a robot that was scared of everything?
:lol: I never tought about that. Although if I had to make up a logical explanation I'd go with:

English speaking and outloud so humans could communicate and understand them.

Robots fear, since they're computers they probably do everything in numbers, so if for example a spaceship is coming at them at 100 mph and they know they cannot move out of the way fast enough (by using math or numbers) its a humorous thing added by the creator/programmer when approaching sure death.

bucky

I've started Shatterpoint a couple of years ago, but left it after a hundred pages or so. And then never returned to it.

I think that the new books on post Return of the Jedi era are a bit meh and haven't read that much there. However, there are many Star Wars great books. The Thrawn trilogy is super awesome and a must read but the likes of Darth Plagueis, Darth Bane trilogy, Revan, Kenobi are all worthy reading.
I agree. Just as you say there's a lot of meh books inbetween. For example I really liked the idea of New Jedi Order and the beginning of it, but it got worse and worse as the series went on. Haven't read Kenobi yet.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
My seven year old loves star wars and has watched all 6 movies I reckon at least 5 times each. But by far his favourites are the new ones...he has watched those at the least 10 times each