Film Star Wars

kps88

As expected they have either gone with total unknowns or with low profile actors. It is a very risky thing to do, as we saw with Hayden Christenses getting the job for which applied 1000 actors including Di Caprio.

The big 3 (and Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2) returning are great news but expected news.
I dunno man I'm familiar with all those actors apart from Daisy Ridley. They've all been in critically acclaimed films and have actually shown their acting chops.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Domhnall Gleeson... I remember this guy from Dredd. He's also gonna be in new Alex Garland's sci-fi movie called Ex-Machina.

The cast is okay but heard some rumors somewhere about Gary Oldman and Tom Hiddleston's involvement.

Revan

Assumptionman
I dunno man I'm familiar with all those actors apart from Daisy Ridley. They've all been in critically acclaimed films and have actually shown their acting chops.
I don't have any idea who that chick is for example.

But still, they haven't gone for the elite actors. Would have loved Benedict Cumberbatch as the baddie but I think that became impossible when he got that role on Star Trek (nerds would have gone in riots if that had happened, 2 Trekkies on SW, the horror, the horror). Hoping for Adam Driver to be a cool and good Sith Lord. Probably a bit young though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Adam Driver, Oscar Isaacs, Andy Serkis, Max Von Sydow and Domhnall Gleeson are all quality actors from what I've seen of them. Pretty talented cast they've thrown together.

Lu Tze

Domhnall Gleeson... I remember this guy from Dredd. He's also gonna be in new Alex Garland's sci-fi movie called Ex-Machina.

The cast is okay but heard some rumors somewhere about Gary Oldman and Tom Hiddleston's involvement.
I'm glad they don't have any big names personally. It'll be great for the suspension of disbelief. John Boyega, Oscar Isaacs, Sydow, Serkis are the only ones I know, and they've all been great in anything I've seen them in, so no complaints.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Didn't know who he was until I looked it up, he was very good in dredd

Hope he is a bad guy in it

Irish too, huzzah

Edit: it's Brendan gleesons son

Last edited:

NoLogo

Hmm the main guy from attack the block is part of the cast apart from him I don't really know anyone of the young actors.

Andy Serkis is always a plus though and Max von Sydow could also be very interesting.

Woodzy

So which classic character are they going to kill off on screen for the sake of controversy? I reckon it is something that will be nailed on for the trilogy at least, if not the first episode.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So which classic character are they going to kill off on screen for the sake of controversy? I reckon it is something that will be nailed on for the trilogy at least, if not the first episode.
Luke? Then someone can avenge him. Classic stuff.

kps88

My money is on Han dying. Ford wanted Lucas to kill him off in Jedi as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wonder if Serkis will be doing motion capture stuff or proper acting?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I just imagined Darth Vader with the voice of Gollum... Please J.J. don't feck this up.

On a serious note, he could be awesome as a space pirate, smuggler or a bounty hunter.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Are they planning on just ignoring all the post RotJ books then?
Is that all EU stuff? Since that stuff isn't canon anyway and just the figment of some other peoples imagination as opposed to a figment of Lucas's imagination. Revan for example, who Lucas once said could never best Vader is unofficial stuff not part of the Star Wars story despite the EU faithful claiming to their dying breath that Revan was this unbeatable genius who could beat anyone ever in anything.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is that all EU stuff? Since that stuff isn't canon anyway and just the figment of some other peoples imagination as opposed to a figment of Lucas's imagination. Revan for example, who Lucas once said could never best Vader is unofficial stuff not part of the Star Wars story despite the EU faithful claiming to their dying breath that Revan was this unbeatable genius who could beat anyone ever in anything.
Revan fanboys are the worst kind :angel: He's one of the most complex characters on SW (and one of the best) but he isn't the strongest. Although there is no debate at all that he would have beat Vader using only his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right.

But, you're wrong. EU is canon. In fact Star Wars canon is divided in a few hierarchies. The only things that aren't canon are alternate endings on video games, deleted scenes from the movies and things that directly contradict movies. What Lucas said should be taken with a pinch of salt (especially now that he isn't the ultimate authority there, and he anyway lost the plot on the last year). He said that there is no story after the death of Vader despite that the original story was planned to continue. He also said that there won't be anymore Star Wars movie. And yes, he said that Master Yoda is a frog. All of them aren't true.

About what will happen now, I think that a big part of canon will either be removed or be rewritten (or possibly doing a Star Trek and saying that it is a parallel universe). Which isn't a big shame considering that most of the stuff after The Thrawn Trilogy is shit anyway. But they should keep the good stuff from canon (like Thrawn) if nothing else, only for historical reasons. Without that trilogy the Star Wars would have been completely dead in the eighties).

Revan

Assumptionman
Looking forward to this. I'm just grateful that we won't have to look at Ewan McGregor for another 3 episodes!
:confused: He was one of the good things of the new trilogy. A far better Kenobi than original Guiness. Are you sure that you weren't talking for Hayden Christenses?

Revan

Assumptionman
Ewan McGregor was better than Alec Guinness? :confused: .
Yep. Most of SW fans agree with me about this. He made Kenobi from a boring mysterious wizard into one of the greatest Jedi ever. On SW forums, new Kenobi is the most beloved movie character.

Yep. Most of SW fans agree with me about this. He made Kenobi from a boring mysterious wizard into one of the greatest Jedi ever. On SW forums, new Kenobi is the most beloved movie character.
I have to disagree with the lads on SW forums. Being born in the early 70s I grew up watching the original movie about 5 time a day for years, so I loved Alec Guinness. Ewan McGregor just irritated me, in Clone Wars especially. Episode 3 he wasn't too bad.

Zarlak

Revan fanboys are the worst kind :angel: He's one of the most complex characters on SW (and one of the best) but he isn't the strongest. Although there is no debate at all that he would have beat Vader using only his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right.
Nope, he said that nobody could beat Vader, he was the ultimate.

But, you're wrong. EU is canon. In fact Star Wars canon is divided in a few hierarchies. The only things that aren't canon are alternate endings on video games, deleted scenes from the movies and things that directly contradict movies. What Lucas said should be taken with a pinch of salt (especially now that he isn't the ultimate authority there, and he anyway lost the plot on the last year). He said that there is no story after the death of Vader despite that the original story was planned to continue. He also said that there won't be anymore Star Wars movie. And yes, he said that Master Yoda is a frog. All of them aren't true.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/04...the-star-wars-expanded-universe-is-non-canon/

:angel:

kps88

I have to disagree with the lads on SW forums. Being born in the early 70s I grew up watching the original movie about 5 time a day for years, so I loved Alec Guinness. Ewan McGregor just irritated me, in Clone Wars especially. Episode 3 he wasn't too bad.
Yeah I'm with you there. Despite being born in the late eighties. Guinness added such class and stature to the part.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nope, he said that nobody could beat Vader, he was the ultimate.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/04...the-star-wars-expanded-universe-is-non-canon/

:angel:
Frak, it looks that they have changed their policy two days ago. Decanonizing post ROTJ makes sense, but why they decanonized stories millenia before it. Stupid move that anyway will get rejected from fans and will cause doubts to new writters to write SW stuff.

He was talking about a fully developed Anakin, he lost a lot of midi chlorians on Mustafar. Palps was way stronger than him, for example. Both Yoda and Windu were likely stronger than him too.

Zarlak

Frak, it looks that they have changed their policy two days ago. Decanonizing post ROTJ makes sense, but why they decanonized stories millenia before it. Stupid move that anyway will get rejected from fans and will cause doubts to new writters to write SW stuff.

He was talking about a fully developed Anakin, he lost a lot of midi chlorians on Mustafar. Palps was way stronger than him, for example. Both Yoda and Windu were likely stronger than him too.
Because it's fantasy made up by random people. And a lot of it conflicts with the actual canon stuff, it makes sense to de canonize it otherwise they'd have to sift through every EU thing made ever to make their movie make sense, and have it adhere to some of the ridiculous powers and figures that the EU has introduced.

Patchbeard

Domhnall Gleeson was shite in the few scenes he had in harry potter. May partly be because he was horribly miscast for the role.

Revan

Assumptionman
Because it's fantasy made up by random people. And a lot of it conflicts with the actual canon stuff, it makes sense to de canonize it otherwise they'd have to sift through every EU thing made ever to make their movie make sense, and have it adhere to some of the ridiculous powers and figures that the EU has introduced.
It's fantasy made by people who have been licensed to do that. The likes of BioWare for example paid money to LucasArts to make the game in Star Wars universe. Even worse, they have decanonized stuff which they have made themselves (like The Force Unleashed).

In many cases LucasArts has intervened, for example the original plan on Thrawn Trilogy was that the rogue Jedi to be a clone of Obi Wan but Lucas said no, so Zahn had to change that and to make a new Jedi for that. In other cases, like Darth Plagueis novel Lucas himself worked with the author on the book. The Darth Bane trilogy basement was made by Lucas too. It's not that anyone could have write Star Wars stuff, but there were a selected few wgo got licenses to do that.

The shame is that pre Thrawn Trilogy things are very good and they don't contradict each other. After that trilogy things went bad and it was like a crazy race between different authors who'll make the Star Wars characters more powerful than Goku on DragonBallZ (and to be fair, some achieved that, as crazy as it sounds). That part was a no brainer that had to be removed, especially considering that it is anyway shit and it's on the same time as the new movies.

But stories of Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, The Old Republic stories, Darth Bane, Darth Plagueis, Kenobi novel, The Thrawn Trilogy had no need to be changed.

Anyway, I think that it won't have any effect at all. Movies anyway wouldn't have been affected from these stories, and most of the fans will have those stories anyway as their personal canon. There might be a nerd backslash if they without any particular reason decide to change stories from the past though. And if they somehow manage to change the names of Lucas/Leia kids, I guess that people won't be happy. And they too, because less people happy, less money for them.