State of the refs in this country

mancan92

Foriegn referees (and let's not forget, these are the very best referees these countries have to offer) making mistakes that our referees get blasted for surely is evidence that they really aren't that bad?
What are you on about? So your going to use one situation to base the whole point?

Refs have been great so far all of them have been calm. Tried to let the flow of games go, played great advantages, dealt with big decisions well and haven't been put into panic mode by VAR. Everyone of them looks far better than the current english refs.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What are you on about? So your going to use one situation to base the whole point?

Refs have been great so far all of them have been calm. Tried to let the flow of games go, played great advantages, dealt with big decisions well and haven't been put into panic mode by VAR. Everyone of them looks far better than the current english refs.
It's called an example. I would have hoped you would be familiar with the concept.

VAR is the real winner here. Overturned decisions are wrong decisions. Instead of crucifying the referee for getting a key decision wrong as we would in this country, it's been passed by.

Last edited:

mancan92

It's called an example. I would have hoped you would be familiar with the concept.

They haven't, but whatever.
Well opinions but they clearly have. All of them have been clear and concise no drama, given consistent decisions and not looked for attention. That last one is obvious

ivaldo

Well opinions but they clearly have. All of them have been clear and concise no drama, given consistent decisions and not looked for attention. That last one is obvious
It's being facilitated by a very good VAR system. There's no pressure when you know you can rewatch every major decision along with the assistance of 4 other referees. When VAR is used to overturn a wrong decision that would have otherwise had us rabidly abusing the official, we've simply moved on.

I'm not saying the refereeing isn't good, it should be as it's a collection of the very best officials their respective countries have to offer. A year and a half ago Mark Clattenburg was voted the best referee in the world, and yet we were still hugely critical of him. Do you not think we would think the same of some of these refs if we were watching them week in, week out in the PL?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Anthony Taylor is the only ref who impressed me with consistency in the PL over the last season. The rest has big problems with that, however talented they may be.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Refereeing has been a lot better in this tournament than in the Premier League. Small sample size but yeah. I can see why no English refs have gone.
The reason their are no English refs is a technicality, it had nothing to do with their quality.

NinjaFletch

It's being facilitated by a very good VAR system. There's no pressure when you know you can rewatch every major decision along with the assistance of 4 other referees. When VAR is used to overturn a wrong decision that would have otherwise had us rabidly abusing the official, we've simply moved on.

I'm not saying the refereeing isn't good, it should be as it's a collection of the very best officials their respective countries have to offer. A year and a half ago Mark Clattenburg was voted the best referee in the world, and yet we were still hugely critical of him. Do you not think we would think the same of some of these refs if we were watching them week in, week out in the PL?
I agree, but I think there's still areas they can improve if you're being hypercritical. There seems to be a bit of inconsistency between what is and isn't reviewed which shouldn't happen given there's seven fellas sitting in Moscow looking at incidents. Overall a huge improvement though and far less farcical than the FAs trial of it.

ivaldo

I agree, but I think there's still areas they can improve if you're being hypercritical. There seems to be a bit of inconsistency between what is and isn't reviewed which shouldn't happen given there's seven fellas sitting in Moscow looking at incidents. Overall a huge improvement though and far less farcical than the FAs trial of it.
Oh yeah a massive improvement on what the FA served up. It’s the first major tournament we’ve seen it in so I’m opportunistic it will continue to be streamlined over the next few years.

Refs in this country were quite good in the 90s from what I can remember. Not sure what's happened since then...

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This discussion is common to almost every countries. The refs from country X or Y or Z are always better than ours.

And then you realize they all commit similar mistakes.

ivaldo

There's only two things people are thinking now.

"Where's the video?" and "How is he only 32?"

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There is nothing wrong with the refs. The problem is the fans. Most people don't know the laws of the game, including the players and pundits. So they start moaning about a call that the ref was right about and everyone assumes the ref is wrong. Sure, sometimes they miss something, but most of the time their calls are correct. It all comes down to interpretation of the laws. The most confusing one seems to be handling the ball. Everyone is too caught up on the word "deliberate" or "intentional". The thing is, FIFA's definition of those words are different from the dictionary. For FIFA, deliberate basically means your hand was moving towards the ball, and the ball came from far enough away that you had time to move it.

Then there is offside. We are lucky to see so many slow motion replays from all different angles. The AR has one attempt at it. Sometimes they get it wrong. Personally, I would rather see them side with the offense. I would rather see a goal given that was marginally offside, then see a goal taken away that was legit. I also think they should change the law. For me, there should be clear day light between the defender and the attacker to be offside. None of this "his nose was offside" crap. I say give it to the offense and let's see more scoring...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Andre Mariner is a fecking disgrace.

Josep Dowling

Got to the point with City where the ref will give them anything when they need a get out of jail card.

That’s why I can’t respect them. Same as Barcelona. When their in trouble it’s case of cheat, dive, roll until the referee finally gives them something.

Greck

After seeing VAR in the CL, other games look so primitive without replay technology

0le

Got to the point with City where the ref will give them anything when they need a get out of jail card.

That’s why I can’t respect them. Same as Barcelona. When their in trouble it’s case of cheat, dive, roll until the referee finally gives them something.
Pep... *cough* ...

El Zoido

The refs always know to give City everything. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they’ve been instructed as such.

Renegade

Why didn’t managers/clubs kick up a fuss when this decision about VAR aim the FA Cup was decided. Incredibly unfair.

lysglimt

Scout
We might as well go out tonight - a combination of blind luck and cheating will make sure City beat us

FujiVice

fecking corrupt game. There's VAR at the United match, but not at City vs Swansea? How the feck can the league justify that? What happened to fairness? Bullshit.

Hephaestus

fecking corrupt game. There's VAR at the United match, but not at City vs Swansea? How the feck can the league justify that? What happened to fairness? Bullshit.
It's only in use at Premier League grounds.

Spielmacher

To be fair it's not British referees but referees period. I still can't fathom people who are against VAR because "it makes the game boring and leaves no controversy, because drama is the most important thing in football."

Kapardin

There is zero accountability. They are protected by the FA which acts as a bully to silence any public statement about their incompetence. It's pretty annoying.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
To be fair it's not British referees but referees period. I still can't fathom people who are against VAR because "it makes the game boring and leaves no controversy, because drama is the most important thing in football."
Yep, football needs var.

Josep Dowling

After seeing VAR in the CL, other games look so primitive without replay technology
Not only primitive but how can a multi million pound corporation like the FA think it’s fair that some games have VAR and some games don’t in the same competition?

spiriticon

Marriner needs to be put down to League One after this. That was undescribably bad.

Canagel

There is zero accountability. They are protected by the FA which acts as a bully to silence any public statement about their incompetence. It's pretty annoying.
this. there's no accountability. official/ref who made the call will just carry on like normal and team who got shafted cannot say a word.

montpelier

Not only primitive but how can a multi million pound corporation like the FA think it’s fair that some games have VAR and some games don’t in the same competition?
They're having a trial of with & without?

They are monumentally stupid?