State of the refs in this country

montpelier

He get's a tiny touch on the ball, then he completely cleans Martial out & then gets a 2nd touch on the ball round the other side. Completely obvious foul. Gets given 98 times out of a 100.

GloryHunter07

WUM, surely?

It's as clear a free kick as you're ever going to get and Oliver is possibly the worst amongst a bad bunch.

He should've given Watford a pen for Fellaini's shirt holding, but the sheer amount of little incidents he gets entirely wrong is infuriating.
Nonsense

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
it wasn't quite Vardy on Rafael in that 5-3, but I was surprised it wasn't given.
I think it was a pretty clear foul, but it's hardly an example of consistently shocking refereeing, we were a little unlucky with the foul but fully deserve to be behind because we've been shit
He went in really hard and might have got the tip of his toe on the ball before pole axing Martial. It is a bit of a grey area as Howard Webb said. Oliver has been giving Watford some really soft free kicks in attacking areas though so I was surprised he didn't blow for that.

Get where you're all coming from, fair points. For what it's worth I'd be more angry about the Fellaini pen, especially with the crackdown this season on those kinds of actions at set pieces.

WUM, surely?
Wah Wah

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Can we have a petition to not have Michael Oliver ref our games anymore? Can't recall the guy ever being fair with us.

El Zoido

Can't blame the ref for today but Oliver has been awful today. He's such a bad ref.

Man-United

Assistant ref's here have played their part in helping Watford. Gives them everything.

Stan Jefferson

Im going to stand by my assessment of this stupid new rule where any questioning of anything results in a booking. The fa/premier league know the refs aren't good enough and instead of trying to fix it they are trying to cover up the issue by removing any ability for anyone to question them. They get fairly obvious things wrong constantly and haven't been good enough for a very long time. If any of us lot on here were as bad at our jobs as your average ref we wouldn't last very long.

Flying high

Can't blame the ref for today but Oliver has been awful today. He's such a bad ref.
When can you start to blame the ref though?

The lack of consistency within this match is one of several reasons I would never had been a pro. I think our players showed remarkable restraint towards oliver.

Tough tackling by one side is treated as foul for the other. All day long. Watford were allowed to make strong tackles from behind, which is fine to some extent. But only if both sides are allowed that same freedom.

Fouls called on Ibra and fellaini just because they were stronger ffs.

Fitchett

Has anyone compiled a league table of our results per referee? I don't ever recall us having problems when Chris Foy used to referee our games, but I dread seeing Martin Atkinson, Michael Oliver, Mike Dean and, to a slightly lesser extent, Mark Clattenburg, line up.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Get where you're all coming from, fair points. For what it's worth I'd be more angry about the Fellaini pen, especially with the crackdown this season on those kinds of actions at set pieces.

Wah Wah
But they were also holding in the area for our set pieces, I think we had a set piece shortly before half time where they are holding 2 of our players and nothing was given or even mentioned in the commentary.

Ban

Challenge on Martial was a foul. He first cleans him than touches the ball.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
But they were also holding in the area for our set pieces, I think we had a set piece shortly before half time where they are holding 2 of our players and nothing was given or even mentioned in the commentary.
The Fellaini pen I mentioned, I thought that could have been a pen to United. I didn't see any other major examples though

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I think Oliver tried his best to be an authority today, and he failed miserably. Several of our big name players like Pogba, Rooney, Ibrah all had something to say to him today. He was absolutely terrible. You could almost tell he was going to make many mistakes - a penalty was 100% guaranteed.

Two important moments that killed our momentum. A pathetic blow for Ibra and then that deep down side line challenge by Rooney that wasn't anywhere near a free kick. You could tell Rooney was really pissed off with that decision and stayed on long to talk sense to Oliver. Absolutely sickening. Ibra also looked really angry at times - more than usual.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
then that deep down side line challenge by Rooney that wasn't anywhere near a free kick. You could tell Rooney was really pissed off with that decision and stayed on long to talk sense to Oliver. Absolutely sickening. Ibra also looked really angry at times - more than usual.
If you're on about the incident i think you are, then there is no chance it wasn't a free kick. It was blatantly.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
If you're on about the incident i think you are, then there is no chance it wasn't a free kick. It was blatantly.
It's a collision at most. He clearly goes for the ball, the guy tries to shield the ball when he realize he's about to lose the duel. There's a reason Rooney is going on about that situation even with the lineman.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Fellaini pen I mentioned, I thought that could have been a pen to United. I didn't see any other major examples though
Ah I thought you meant the Fellaini shirt grab on Deeney! My bad.

TsuWave

the state of the refereeing is comical but what's even more hilarious is the state of the commentary, it was annoying but slightly amusing to see the commentators saying "it was a good tackle" on martial for watford's first goal, then they replayed incident in slow motion where you could clearly see it was a foul and somehow they all went silent and you just hear danny murphy come out with "I think its a good tackle, I really do" and no one had the guts to say "hold on, we got that wrong and so did the refs, that's a foul", they just quickly asked howard webb what he thought of it and he comes out with "it comes down to whether he put a toe on the or if he made contact with martial's leg first, in this situation, we gotta give the benefit of the doubt to the referee" :confused::houllier:

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
the state of the refereeing is comical but what's even more hilarious is the state of the commentary, it was annoying but slightly amusing to see the commentators saying "it was a good tackle" on martial for watford's first goal, then they replayed incident in slow motion where you could clearly see it was a foul and somehow they all went silent and you just hear danny murphy come out with "I think its a good tackle, I really do" and no one had the guts to say "hold on, we got that wrong and so did the refs, that's a foul", they just quickly asked howard webb what he thought of it and he comes out with "it comes down to whether he put a toe on the or if he made contact with martial's leg first, in this situation, we gotta give the benefit of the doubt to the referee" :confused::houllier:
It wasn't a clear foul, it was really 50/50 and could have gone either way, he definitely nicked the ball first but his momentum definitely took him through Martial.

I can see why he didn't give it and can see why he could have given it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It wasn't a clear foul, it was really 50/50 and could have gone either way, he definitely nicked the ball first but his momentum definitely took him through Martial.

I can see why he didn't give it and can see why he could have given it.
Sorry but this post is absolute nonsense. Please refer to the multiple posts explaing why it was a foul and stop being so pro-refs.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Sorry but this post is absolute nonsense. Please refer to the multiple posts explaing why it was a foul and stop being so pro-refs.
Seems to me there's as many people saying it wasn't a foul as saying it was.

It was clearly an incident that could have been given either way as he 100% nicks the ball first but his momentum does then take him into the player.

A completely 50/50 call.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think we need video technology, seems to be extremely dumb to not implement it

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
And if you was a video ref would you have disallowed Capoues goal today?
Tbh I don't even remember the goal (saw it once and turned off!). But surely having video would allow for more correct decisions...whats the point in disallowing it

montpelier

Slow motion says he gets a slight touch on the ball either side of completely cleaning Martial out. It's very much overly aggressive = free kick.

Watching it now on MotD, I suspect feckwit Oliver must think it's a single touch which squirts the ball away kinda thing so maybe he thinks at the time, I can make a really good decision here...

Danny Murphy can feck the feck off an' all, :(.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Tbh I don't even remember the goal (saw it once and turned off!). But surely having video would allow for more correct decisions...whats the point in disallowing it
I just think video refs would create even more controversy. Today's incident is a classic example, after watching numerous replays there seems a real split between people who think the goal should have stood and those who think it should have been disallowed.

If it's a tight the call the video ref would be left in an impossible decision.

ThanksBoss26

I thought the referring at the Euros was good this summer.

Clearly wasn't the British refs because it's been dire so far this season.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's obviously up for debate, but I honestly don't think it was a free kick. He had a bad game nonetheless but of course the result wasn't down to him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He had to come through Martial's leg first to touch the ball. That means it's a foul. There is also the excessive force debate. He hit him so hard it flipped him round and smashes his head into the ground.

Obviously it's hard for refs to see that at full speed and can't always get it right 100%, but he was calling every soft little foul for watford every time Pereyra and the others got the slighest of touches.

Cleanly taking the ball and then catching them with the follow through is OK, but he can't get the ball without taking him out with it. Clear foul all day long for me.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
[QUOTE="Adam-Utd, post: 19822685, member: 55162"]He had to come through Martial's leg first to touch the ball. That means it's a foul. There is also the excessive force debate. He hit him so hard it flipped him round and smashes his head into the ground.

Obviously it's hard for refs to see that at full speed and can't always get it right 100%, but he was calling every soft little foul for watford every time Pereyra and the others got the slighest of touches.

Cleanly taking the ball and then catching them with the follow through is OK, but he can't get the ball without taking him out with it. Clear foul all day long for me.[/QUOTE]

He nicks the ball before he touches him and if that's really excessive force we must be close to banning physical contact?

I've watched it quite a few times and I still don't know if I think it's a foul or not, it's so 50/50. I can see why he didn't give a free kick and if he had blown I can see why he would have given a free kick.

I didn't think it was a penalty though, that was a dive!

montpelier

This isn't what get's seen by Oliver though. In real time, it's heavy & it LOOKS like a foul. Should be a FK all day long.

The marginal first touch on the ball says it's OK? Nah.

I said all over the place now, it's the accidental 2nd touch the Watford guys gets that fools Mr O into being a complete dipshit.

Just give the foul for excessive roughness, you dozy bellend. But then you don't get noticed for your 'great decision' innit?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
We got Mike Dean in the next game (Leicester). Great.