Static, slow motion zombie passing

Tooni

If anything yesterday was the other bipolar extreme of zombie passing. We tried far too many ambitious penetrative passing without having any concern about possession. During early parts of season we had much more possession but without any real penetration or purpose.

However last ten minutes of yesterday was quality though when Nani and Giggs stepped it up a level or two. We played some fantastic mouth watering football.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah this was nowhere near the dark days of true zombie passing, despite Ashley Young's best attempts to slow our play down and do nothing of note.
ForeverGiggs has had a nightmare here.

But this quote is also pretty shocking. Young set up some great chances in the first half.

buckooo1978

ForeverGiggs has had a nightmare here.

But this quote is also pretty shocking. Young set up some great chances in the first half.
i dunno

Young was a little predictable

couldnt beat his man but turned inside and put in a few good inswinging balls

only one i remember being a chance was Hernandez fantastically improvised flick on that Cesar tipped over.

he's far from his best.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
i dunno

Young was a little predictable

couldnt beat his man but turned inside and put in a few good inswinging balls

only one i remember being a chance was Hernandez fantastically improvised flick on that Cesar tipped over.

he's far from his best.
I'm sure he put one in for Nani as well. Maybe off a set piece but Nani headed it wide.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's a bit of both. Young played a nice through-ball very early on two or three terrific crosses. But he did also go backwards and slow the play down an awful lot.

In general we did pretty well for an away game at a relegation team desperate for the points on a crap surface. We were never in trouble despite ceding lots of early possession and not exactly hitting the heights. Good performance.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
The crosses were good but they were not great chances. Both headers had to be flicked on. Would have been brilliant if any of them had gone on.

buckooo1978

great result

overall I wouldnt call our passing static or slow

though Evra and Rafael's support from the back was superb

Evra got beyond his winger a right few times with great runs

yesterday was a superb performance with a view to madrid - we look very very solid in defence the last few games

De Gea had one decent save to make IIRC

DevilRed

Passing was a bit sloppy at times but never zombie-like! It was a good performance by the lads and I don't understand why people could criticise them for a 2-0 victory away from home.

Sam

Its back (did it ever really go away?).

Why do none of our players make any sort of forward movement? They just all stand there like, errrrm....zombies.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Why do none of our players make any sort of forward movement? They just all stand there like, errrrm....zombies.
It was even worse today, as Fellaini's even less mobile than someone like Cleverley.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I cringed at the end when Rooney got a pass from Carrick(?) near City's penalty area and he alone tried to wriggle through and the 4 United players around him didn't move an inch.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Our players were like table football bod's. There seemed to be twenty yards between all our midfielders besides Fellaini and Carrick and that didn't help cos neither got forward and they effectively stayed within a metre or two of each other.

It was even worse today, as Fellaini's even less mobile than someone like Cleverley.
This. I had expected more running from Fellaini. I don't know if he's under orders but today he did his very best impression of Mikel having a 'mare.

marjen

I'd just like to point out that Chris Smalling was our most creative outlet from wide today.

Think about that for a moment. Chris Smalling. He did more going forward than Valencia, Young and Welbeck between them.

Boggles the mind.

Ash_G

No surprise if he's utilizing the same players largely responsible for the "zombie" football. Lets get the two players we have that could open up new dimensions to the team Nani and Kagawa fully fit and see what happens from there.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It is a lot like watching England, you're right. Especially when Moyes does the England-ish thing and leaves out better players than the ones he's picked in the actual line up!

Sam

The movement from our players in the final third is just so bad, they all just stand there. Even when we control matches we don't look like creating anything, Rooney comes deep, gets the ball, looks for options, see there aren't any, and inevitably sprays it out wide to Valencia, who then either a) gets tackled b) drills a cross into no one c) floats a cross into no one......there is of course the occasional time RVP or Rooney manage to fashion something out of nothing to win the match, which is basically what we've been relying on them to do for the past 12 months.

Giggsforever

The problem today was the formation, we were to flat. This made us not beeing able to make use of the Space between Citys back four and midfield. We also should have played Kagawa and Nani, as we lacked creativity with Young, Welbeck and Valencia. Valencia is never using any space so that our midfield can pass to him in a position were he can come inside and turn, because he knows he will fail if he is not hugging the line. We should have played 451 with some better players.

The problem is not the passing in it self, it's the formation that gives our midfield few options or the same options every time they get the ball.

marjen

The problem today was the formation, we were to flat. This made us not beeing able to make use of the Space between Citys back four and midfield. We also should have played Kagawa and Nani, as we lacked creativity with Young, Welbeck and Valencia. Valencia is never using any space so that our midfield can pass to him in a position were he can come inside and turn, because he knows he will fail if he is not hugging the line. We should have played 451 with some better players.

The problem is not the passing in it self, it's the formation that gives our midfield few options or the same options every time they get the ball.
But decreasing the options our midfield itself gives is a sure-fire way to compound the problem.

Rossa

I think we genuinly missed Kagawa's passing out there. Not even Rooney can make those incisive short passes, and when the players surrounding him are playing mostly shite, we really struggle. Valencia upped his game, but he isn't a creative player - he is good at running into those slots.

Steven Seagull

Kagawa is not going to make much difference. Like England, the problem is the poor movement and lack of clever runs. You could put Xavi in there but he's not going to do any better if everyone's just looking at him with the ball like a cnut. We had one out-ball today which was to ping it in the corner for a Valencia foot race against Kolarov.

kps88

Kagawa is not going to make much difference. Like England, the problem is the poor movement and lack of clever runs. You could put Xavi in there but he's not going to do any better if everyone's just looking at him with the ball like a cnut. We had one out-ball today which was to ping it in the corner for a Valencia foot race against Kolarov.

If Kagawa manages to live up to all the hype, he'll help not through his passing but by his ability to find space, turn and run at the opposition. He'd give Carrick the option of not passing it sideways. Basically how Toure kept finding Nasri and Aguero today who caused us all sorts of problems.

Godfather

That's exactly the problem. No clever runs into the box, no off the ball movement at all. Val and Young keep out on the sidelines, Welbz doesn't know what to do in the box at all and we are left with Rooney. Thats why players like RvP, Kagawa and Nani can be so important, they provide that movement into the box

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Our tempo was terrible today. Our tactical set up, which was archaic, didn't help matters. We played in rigid, straight lines, and players in possession rarely had a quality option. There was a gaping hole where the number 10 should be stationed too often, and City found it really easy to defend against us. Having van Persie fit today would've made a big difference, because Rooney would've occupied this area and caused problems.

The whole balance of the team was poor. Carrick and Fellaini sat too deep, meaning our forwards became disconnected - a problem exacerbated by not having a quality number 10 option - while they were both really poor when it came to pressuring City; in fact, our entire team just got pinned back and they swarmed all over us.

jem

I'd just like to point out that Chris Smalling was our most creative outlet from wide today.

Think about that for a moment. Chris Smalling. He did more going forward than Valencia, Young and Welbeck between them.

Boggles the mind.
I'd like to see Fabio getting a run at RB, and Smalling a shot at CB, where Ferdinand has been dreadful.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted

Boggles the mind.
He actually was too. We were actively trying to get our dangerman Smalling in. He did ok to be honest.

marjen

He actually was too. We were actively trying to get our dangerman Smalling in. He did ok to be honest.
Created our biggest chance with the cross that fell to Rooney.

To be fair it wasn't excactly a great cross but he at least got in a position to cause some danger.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Why can't we play more like the zombies from world war Z ? It's always walking dead stuff with us.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Our play yesterday could've been a scene from the TV series walking dead, it was just so slow, predictable and our passing was all in straight lines and we seriously lacked creativity.

Young, Valencia and Rio defending at times was zombie like.

elisha27

Our play yesterday could've been a scene from the TV series walking dead, it was just so slow, predictable and our passing was all in straight lines and we seriously lacked creativity.
This 'The Walking Dead' theory actually has some legs. Here's some other similarities with us right now:

- After a strong pilot, things went downhill fast
- Infuriating characters you wish would just die get way too much screen time even after three seasons
- When a good episode finally comes along and gets your hopes up that things might have changed, it's followed by a terrible one
- Just when you think the showrunner might have a plan for the season, it becomes clear that he doesn't, and the season is cratering through bewildering plotting
- It's still one of the most popular shows around the world despite its lack of any entertainment

Still, it could be worse; at least we're not Dexter.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
This 'The Walking Dead' theory actually has some legs. Here's some other similarities with us right now:

- After a strong pilot, things went downhill fast
- Infuriating characters you wish would just die get way too much screen time even after three seasons
- When a good episode finally comes along and gets your hopes up that things might have changed, it's followed by a terrible one
- Just when you think the showrunner might have a plan for the season, it becomes clear that he doesn't, and the season is cratering through bewildering plotting
- It's still one of the most popular shows around the world despite its lack of any entertainment

Still, it could be worse; at least we're not Dexter.
Wonder who you are referring to here....Young?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Worst thread ever. Worst bump ever.

Anyone who uses the term zombie passing is a stupid wanker.