Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

With him as assistant, anything less than a treble is a failure :D

Well let's first make sure we qualify for Europe to begin with...

That’s funny. Wasn’t ETH Steve’s assistant or one of his coaches in Holland?
Yes, someone posted a great interview with Steve talking about ETH. Really good watch and a glowing review of ETH.

Why do I feel a sense of warmth about this. Is it maybe because he's a remnant from our successful past? He's still 'only' 60.

Well that was quick. From refusing to accepting within minutes/hours. Media making stuff up again then.

No problem at all with this. He was here when we were good and had nothing to do with us while we were shite. Welcome back Steve.

"Board don't want McClaren on coaching team"
1 hour later: "McClaren joins coaching team"

Well that escalated quickly.

Why do I think that this is nonsense? Was ETH negotiating with United this morning after having already signed his contract and somehow won his first battle.

Why do I think that this is nonsense? Was ETH negotiating with United this morning after having already signed his contract and somehow won his first battle.

Sam Wallace read opinion piece from Dutch journalist and created a story, unfortunately for him it was proven wrong within one hour so they created first battle.

“The players are said to be having problems understanding what Gaag and McClaren want from them, they have doubts over their credentials to coach at this level having only ever collaborated in the much weaker Dutch league previously”

That’s what you’ll get if you ask these lads to run or put their bodies on the line

Is it any different than Phelan?

One of the old guard from successful times being given a job because......?

Because it has nothing to do with his job at ManUtd which was around 20 years ago, it's to do with them working together in the past.

Because he has already worked with ETH previously, so they have a working relationshop/dynamic that they think can transfer to United.

I like it but it is ironic that we wanted to move away from the past and stop giving positions out in the club to the boys and now we have mclaren back in dugout.

In modern football nowdays, you can have lot of assistant managers not just 1 assistant. ETH has 3 assistant managers in Ajax plus 1 for each individual coach, coordination coach, fitness coach, and goalkeeping coach.

I'm guessing he will try to aim to have 2 or 3 assistants and then use what we are currently have as his individual coach, fitness coach and goalkeeping coach (Eric Ramsey, Hawkins, Mawson, Martis).

"Board don't want McClaren on coaching team"
1 hour later: "McClaren joins coaching team"

Well that escalated quickly.

I don't see why the board would give a toss except for SAF who I can see finding it threatening. Suspect that was the blockage.

I like it but it is ironic that we wanted to move away from the past and stop giving positions out in the club to the boys and now we have mclaren back in dugout.

So you want to cut ties with anyone and everyone who worked at ManUtd in the past?

How is it giving "job to the boys" when ETH worked with Mcclaren as assistant and they gave good working relationship.

What a silly story.

So the board first refused to hire McClaren, and then Ten Hag said- "but I want him", and then they caved?

Biggest nothing story ever.

Good news, I reckon. Always heard good things from past players about his coaching and actually did pretty well in a few managerial roles himself (although some memorable bad ones too).

If he can help deliver another treble then we won't complain.

I don't see why the board would give a toss except for SAF who I can see finding it threatening. Suspect that was the blockage.

Why will SAF find this threatening?

In modern football nowdays, you can have lot of assistant managers not just 1 assistant. ETH has 3 assistant managers in Ajax plus 1 for each individual coach, coordination coach, fitness coach, and goalkeeping coach.

I'm guessing he will try to aim to have 2 or 3 assistants and then use what we are currently have as his individual coach, fitness coach and goalkeeping coach (Eric Ramsey, Hawkins, Mawson, Martis).

Yeah his assistant from Ajax is also joining.

McClaren was a decent manager in his own right. Boro in the EL final, won the league with Twente.

Can help moderate the English-Dutch conversation, prior experience winning everything at this club, and has already voiced his opinions that a good chunk of the current squad should be shipped out. I'm in!