Steven Berghuis punches fan after Ajax lose 3-1 to Twente.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It is actually cancer, but we use it as fecking. So you can also use it to emphasize something as in "that's fecking awesome".

It's actually a verb as well, "kankeren" is a form of complaining. That's the only non frowned upon version of it. I also think kanker in Dutch is worse than fecking in English.

We use lots of diseases as swear words.
That's interesting. What other examples are there apart from kankeren?

90 + 5min

I don't see how it is good to use violence against words. There are lot of stupid, ignorant people. Turn the other cheek or just say something back. But don't use violence.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's interesting. What other examples are there apart from kankeren?
'Tering' (a word for tuberculosis) and 'tyfus' (typhoid) used to be very common, but they probably sound a bit old-fashioned now. I've heard some others used, but only very rarely. Not sure what else outside 'kanker' actually, come to think of it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
'Tering' (a word for tuberculosis) and 'tyfus' (typhoid) used to be very common, but they probably sound a bit old-fashioned now. I've heard some others used, but only very rarely. Not sure what else outside 'kanker' actually, come to think of it.
Tering, tyfus, cholera, aids, pokken, polio.

Maybe it's worse in de randstad :wenger:

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
@Cheimoon @KirkDuyt

Tons of Norwegians of a certain age learned some Dutch swearing because of a rap song called Watskeburt, apparently released in 2005 by a group called De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig. Misheard lyrics was all the rage for a while, and this one was hard to beat. 'Kreft', Norwegian for cancer/kanker, was reasonably common as a curse word (maybe still is), and it might be a tiny bit because of this song.

Video is somewhat nsfw.

Mmm-Qatarian

Wasn't Ten Hag interested in Brobbey? He doesn't seem to score often, maybe he has other attributes that could help us?
He has 0.71 goals per 90 minutes, putting him in the 96th percentile of strikers across Europe (Source: Fbref). This seems a pretty odd criticism of him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@Cheimoon @KirkDuyt

Tons of Norwegians of a certain age learned some Dutch swearing because of a rap song called Watskeburt, apparently released in 2005 by a group called De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig. Misheard lyrics was all the rage for a while, and this one was hard to beat. 'Kreft', Norwegian for cancer/kanker, was reasonably common as a curse word (maybe still is), and it might be a tiny bit because of this song.

Video is somewhat nsfw.
Jesus this song is 18 years ago. They were a huge hit here with many more strange songs.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Right, aids and polio! Those feel old-school though, especially polio (I can imagine 'krijg aids' ('get aids') better); but then I haven't been around for over a decade anyway. I don't remember having heard cursing with cholera or pokken (smallpox); I basically know pokken only from the Zwolle crew using it in like Microphone Colossus 2 as a positive adjective ('pokke-FTG'), so maybe that's your Randstad advantage. (Well, 'advantage'. ;) ) My hometown go-to is 'kut' for anything and everything. (It literally means 'cnut', but it's a little less harsh and used mostly as a negative adjective and expletive.)
@Cheimoon @KirkDuyt

Video is somewhat nsfw.
Christ, Watskebeurt made it big in Norway?! :lol: Its lyrics are hard to get even for Dutch people not from their scene - or parts were for me, anyway. Looks like the only disease-related curse in there is 'kanker' though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Right, aids and polio! Those feel old-school though, especially polio (I can imagine 'krijg aids' ('get aids') better); but then I haven't been around for over a decade anyway. I don't remember having heard cursing with cholera or pokken (smallpox); I basically know pokken only from the Zwolle crew using it in like Microphone Colossus 2 as a positive adjective ('pokke-FTG'), so maybe that's your Randstad advantage. (Well, 'advantage'. ;) ) My hometown go-to is 'kut' for anything and everything. (It literally means 'cnut', but it's a little less harsh and used mostly as a negative adjective and expletive.)

Christ, Watskebeurt made it big in Norway?! :lol: Its lyrics are hard to get even for Dutch people not from their scene - or parts were for me, anyway. Looks like the only disease-related curse in there is 'kanker' though.
"Pokkenventje" or something in that light is quite common if a bit old school.

"Vuile aidshond" is something you hear in and around The Hague.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
"Pokkenventje" or something in that light is quite common if a bit old school.

"Vuile aidshond" is something you hear in and around The Hague.
Oooh, that's a nice one! Well, 'vuile aidshond' is ('tyfushond' has a similar feel); 'pokkenventje' sounds vaguely nice even, maybe something Flemish mums say to their babies: 'mijn lieve kleine pokkenventje'. Bring it on, Flanders.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oooh, that's a nice one! Well, 'vuile aidshond' is ('tyfushond' has a similar feel); 'pokkenventje' sounds vaguely nice even, maybe something Flemish mums say to their babies: 'mijn lieve kleine pokkenventje'. Bring it on, Flanders.
Yeah pokkenventje isn't that bad. Definitely more lighthearted than aidshond, which is quite awful.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
'Big' is a bit strong, you wouldn't hear them on the radio or anything. It was an online phenomenon, probably mostly among adolescents, but for a good while everyone I knew listened to this. It also still comes up from time to time, but rarely.

In English both cancer and aids are pretty popular words, at least online, but it's pretty different from my impression of the Dutch way. It's almost always restricted to calling someone or something by the name of the disease, you don't get the disease+noun combo. In Norwegian it's also mostly like that, but sometimes a little more adventurous.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feel like thread title should be adjusted to say *punches racist fan
Actually, Berghuis' management came out with a statement and mentioned nothing about the racist remarks against Brobbey and said he lost his head after being repeatedly insulted himself. So it's a bit unclear again.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
They may have lost a bit of their menace, being so old.

Aids did spring to mind. Not sure how well it translates directly if Aids is replacing fecking. We'd have to say something like you aids-riddled cnut as an insult in English.

wangyu

He has 0.71 goals per 90 minutes, putting him in the 96th percentile of strikers across Europe (Source: Fbref). This seems a pretty odd criticism of him.
According to wikipedia he scored just 14 goals in all competitions this season which is very low for the Eredivisie.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
Am under the impression this thread mainly teaches to curse in Dutch. Which is an evergreen, so will add the classic in Switzerland is Zurich Kloten airport.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
The player has been offered* a three match ban (2 + 1 probational) by the FA.

* "given", but pending potential appeal not yet sentenced.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Accepted his 3 match ban for the punch. Still not cleared up what was actually said.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
3 matches seems like not a lot. Cantona got 9 months for booting that geezer.

Any context as to why it's only 3?

Shake Jism

3 matches seems like not a lot. Cantona got 9 months for booting that geezer.
By all accounts Cantona was severly provoked by racist and familial themed abuse.

With the politically correct society we now live in, you'd think that would be taken more into account.