Kick-off
Thu, 1 January 2015 @ 12:45pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 62 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Trizy

Any update on Di Maria or Herrera? Really need them to get something from this game.

fauve

Di Maria should also come back for Stoke I think. Any news on Fellaini? :(

Adcuth

No Carrick? :lol::nono:

I think now that Smalling has had few minutes under his belt we will see back three of Evans-Smalling-Jones
    He's being rested.

EDIT: Just seen Fellaini is crocked. Carrick is back in :D

Mehool Raja

You really want a 3 backline with McNair and Evans when we have Rafael, Smalling and Shaw available, Mehool? And Carrick-Fellaini as a duo on midfield? That's just too slow without either Herrera or Di Maria around them. I hope we start with Rafa-Jones-Smalling-Shaw in defence, Evans and McNair hasn't impressed at all when they've played. Also, we need to start with a dynamic and creative midfield. Rooney will play a big role in this match. Falcao and Persie should both start at top again imo, and if one of them is having a bad day, Wilson could come on. I agree with what you say about Mata.
    The reason I say McNair instead of Smalling is that he looks comfortable bringing the ball out and playing simple passes without having to hoof it.

Stoke are a very physical side still, even though Mark Hughes has bought his own style to it. Players like Shawcross will still need to be handled. Although - the above assumes that Di Maria won't be fit, if he is fit then this would change the way the team plays imo...

ManUnitedCanuck

Not sure how we will line up but could go back to a back 4 with Shaw and Rafael coming in:

De Gea

Rafael
    Jones
    Smalling
    Young

Carrick
    Herrera
    Mata
    Rooney

Falcao
    RVP

We'll have difficulties against their height but if we attack and control possession it shouldn't be as much of a problem. Put away chances and get a decent scoreline, as we'll likely concede at some point in this match.

Kazi

I expect us to line up like this

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Smalling Shaw
    Carrick
    Mata Rooney Young
    Falcao Van Persie

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
    Even should Herrera be available a 3-5-2 is disproportionately burdensome, particularly now. A system built around four at the back would not only represent a return to a formation for which the players are more accustomed, but also enables LVG to have a semblance of a cavalry on the bench [be it defenders or forwards]. Spurs was lesson enough that we must make better provision for the second half.

If Valencia is fit all the better, for his physicality shall be of greater use in midfield against Stoke.

God knows what sort of shape we'll be in versus Yeovil if the pack isn't shuffled a little.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
    De Gea
    Jones Smalling Evans
    Carrick
    Rafael Rooney Mata Young
    Falcao van Persie​

Bringing in Smalling for his physical presence. Mcnair could get bullied a bit against Stoke and he looked really nervous yesterday. Rafael in for Valencia even though Rafa was disappointing yesterday he's better defensively than Tony V.

LR7

Hopefully:

De Gea

Carrick

Herrera Rooney

Mata

Van Persie Falcao​
    I put Herrera in. I think this would be a good team. It's a shame we don't have Fellaini for this. I'm far from his biggest fan but it's the type of game he's suited to, and useful for.

Shady

Stoke have done well this season. Don't think we will win.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Last place Di Maria should be playing at the moment.
    Agree 100%.
    This is not the place to use an expensive dribbler.
    This is exactly the place were we need to use strong/physical players.
    If Di Maria starts this game, I can't see him not getting injured.

Papii Grande

My Line up if Herrera makes it is:
    ------------DDG
    -Rafael Smalling Evans Shaw
    ---- Herrera Carrick-Young
    -------------Mata
    ---------Rooney-- RVP

mufc1996

Wish blind was fit so we could give carrick a rest.
    Hopefully di Maria's fit or januzaj.
    Falcao and robin need a rest.
    Mata doesn't deserved to be dropped, neither does young.

So my team would be.....

De gea

Rafa
    Smalling
    Jones
    Shaw

Di maria/januzaj*
    Carrick
    Herrera
    Young

Mata
    Rooney

4-2-3-1

ElectroManiac

LVG say that Herrera is back, but I think he won't star the game because LVG likes their player to get fit first, so he will probably be on the bench.

If Herrera doesn't start I will like to see this.

DDG

Carrick
    Mata Rooney Young

RVP Falcao
    If Herrera start I will put Young as a LB and put Herrera in midfield. I rate Shaw higher as a LB over Young, but Shaw is coming back from an injury and needs to get match fit first, and Young have done a good job as a wingback and I think he can do it to as LB.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    LVG say that Herrera is back, but I think he wont star the game.

If Herrera doesn't start I will like to see this.

DDG

Carrick
    Mata Rooney Young

RVP Falcao
    If Herrera start I will put Young as a LB and put Herrera in midfield. I rate Shaw higher as a LB over Young, but Shaw is coming back from an injury and needs to get match fit first, and Young have done a good job as a wingback and I think he can do it to as LB.
    I would be more tempted to have Herrera on the bench, He will likely get a full run out against Yeovil. He can come on if LvG feels we are having problems like he has done with him recently.

ElectroManiac

I would be more tempted to have Herrera on the bench, He will likely get a full run out against Yeovil. He can come on if LvG feels we are having problems like he has done with him recently.
    Yeah I think LVG won't star him. In fact if Valencia can play I will say he wont star Rafael and Shaw to, but with out Valencia, Rafael will probably play. Maybe Evans will play instead of Shaw to. I prefer a back 4 instead of 3, so my preference will be Shaw over Evans.

Rafael, Shaw and Herrera will definitely star again Yeovil to get them match fit.

Srz

De Gea
    Jones Smalling Evans
    Carrick
    Rafael Rooney Mata Young
    Falcao van Persie​

Bringing in Smalling for his physical presence. Mcnair could get bullied a bit against Stoke and he looked really nervous yesterday. Rafael in for Valencia even though Rafa was disappointing yesterday he's better defensively than Tony V.
    Looks good to me if it's going to be three at the back with Lindegaard, McNair, Shaw, Herrera, DiMaria, Fletcher, Wilson on the bench.(depending on injuries)

Rafael is the better defender and also carries the ball out of the back creating good attacking moves. I'd like to see Shaw at left back but Young has been good so far. It would be hard not to pick him.

I am expecting better finishing from the strikers than we saw against Spurs. Di Maria, Herrera and Wilson to get in some minutes depending how the game goes.

SalfordRed1960

A back four and a healthy Fellaini - because we'll certainly need him in this game - is all I ask.
    Think that would be true if it was the old Stoke. Hughes has Stoke playing differently. They do not have the aggression or steel of Stoke under Pullis.

I think this game will be a lot more comfortable than people are saying. Stoke will try and play their game, rather than stop United playing.

I would think that Falcao probably needs a rest, just to make sure he does not damage his old injury. He will probably play in the FA Cup, as will Wilson. So Rooney up top with RVP.

Not really a game for Di Maria, so I would expect Carrick, Valencia (if fit), Herrera, Mata to be the middle.

I think Evans and McNair may be rested, to give Shaw, Rafael and Smalling some game time.

Even with my blinkers off, that is too strong for Stoke.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Think that would be true if it was the old Stoke. Hughes has Stoke playing differently. They do not have the aggression or steel of Stoke under Pullis.

I think this game will be a lot more comfortable than people are saying. Stoke will try and play their game, rather than stop United playing.

I would think that Falcao probably needs a rest, just to make sure he does not damage his old injury. He will probably play in the FA Cup, as will Wilson. So Rooney up top with RVP.

Not really a game for Di Maria, so I would expect Carrick, Valencia (if fit), Herrera, Mata to be the middle.

I think Evans and McNair may be rested, to give Shaw, Rafael and Smalling some game time.

Even with my blinkers off, that is too strong for Stoke.
    They might not be quite as odious a long ball outfit, but any team that still has Shawcross, Whelan, Crouch, Walters and a few others are never going to be dainty.

Smalling is a certainty to start for that reason, and if there's even a chance Fellaini is playable, he'd be straight in.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
    Football being what it is, i must suppose it likely that Diouf will bag himself a goal.

After having just taken a cursory look it would appear that Hughes made two changes between the Boxing Day match and the one on the 28th.

Thugmann

Playing away to stoke is always tough, Hopefully we can lump it up the field and try to nick a goal, If we get a goal in front we can shut down the game and park the bus for the rest of the match.

He Comes From Serbia

Windhelm, contacting the dark brotherhood
    Not going to lie to you, that Tottenham result hurt, the amount of chances, the running out of steam, the fact both Chelsea and City dropped points while most of our top 4 rivals gained points.

Would love a response here but the lads looked knackered, Stoke isn't an easy place to go to at the best of times, and we have too many injuries (again) so i am mentally preparing myself for the worst. Really could have done with Fellaini being back for this one.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
    Not going to lie to you, that Tottenham result hurt, the amount of chances, the running out of steam, the fact both Chelsea and City dropped points while most of our top 4 rivals gained points.

Would love a response here but the lads looked knackered, Stoke isn't an easy place to go to at the best of times, and we have too many injuries (again) so i am mentally preparing myself for the worst. Really could have done with Fellaini being back for this one.
    Arsenal and???

Henry T-Bags

I don't think Van Gaal will Di Maria by him starting him here, maybe a 15 minute stint off the bench if he's trained a bit. Here's my lineup prediction (not what I necessarily would like to see):

De Gea
    McNair -- Jones -- Evans
    Rafael --------------------- Young
    Rooney -- Carrick
    Mata
    Falcao -- Van Persie​

I would prefer to see a back 4 and Herrera back in, but we've actually been getting good performances with the back 3, not sure Van Gaal would ditch it for Rafael and Shaw right.

We go behind just before half time but rally with goals from Van Persie and Mata to win 2-1.

ElectroManiac

Yeah I also think it will be a back 3 again. Shaw just come back from an injury, and I think he will play but later on the game. He will definitely be back as a starter when he is fit enough though. Rafael will play because Valencia got injured. Hopefully Rafael can get fit enough for this game because he looks a little bit rusty on the last two games.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Can't see many changes, can't see our players returning from injury thrown in the side against a physical Stoke side, that's another injury waiting to happen.

Perhaps Smalling if any to add a bit more solidity in place of Evans.

fallengt

Another early kick-off, away match. I don't feel too optimistic, we're likely gonna drop 2 or 3 points.

Glanville95

You could say this should apply to every other Premier League side, seeing as they will have endured the rigours of fixture congestion over the festive period after next week just like us, but I think the Spurs game took it's toll on us toward the end of the match and I think we will really struggle against Stoke.

An away fixture at the Brittania isn't the ideal match to conclude a busy Premier League period and I think the physicality and fitness of the Stoke team - especially on their own patch - could be a mismatch for us, particularly with our sparcity of midfield options and with barely any aggression with both Fellaini and Herrera out. Of course we are pretty shit away from home too, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I'll go Stoke 2-1 United.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 448 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win