Straylan and Kiwi politics

WPMUFC

I cannot believe i'm typing this, but David Littleproud makes Joyce seem intelligent. Littleproud was on Insiders this morning and essentially claimed that because the newly elected Labor party "don't have a good relationship with Gas CEOs" gas companies will hold back or are hiding gas supply.

Somehow this election has made the right-wing politicians even dumber?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I cannot believe i'm typing this, but David Littleproud makes Joyce seem intelligent. Littleproud was on Insiders this morning and essentially claimed that because the newly elected Labor party "don't have a good relationship with Gas CEOs" gas companies will hold back or are hiding gas supply.

Somehow this election has made the right-wing politicians even dumber?
Not quite as dumb as Trump claiming that windmills are responsible for high energy prices, but still very very dumb.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The new opposition failing to read the room yet again.

Trying to liken #scottyfrommarketing going on holiday when to Hawaii when the country was burning to the ground with Albo going to Ukraine and a flood occurring while he was away is hilariously clueless. Funnier still when an opposition minister is trying to criticise, while appearing not to, is asked why the leader of the opposition is on leave at such a time and she didn't know he was away :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...cott-morrisons-hawaii-holiday-beyond-contempt

WPMUFC

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08...ecretly-sworn-in-several-portfolios/101335064

@Wibble what the actual feck. I heard on news breakfast this morning that Laura tingle reported on 7:30 that it could be 5+ ministerial roles

@Cheimoon thought you might be interested in this.
Right, yes, I meant to check this thread for updates cause I read about that in the morning. What a situation!

I'm quite curious about the legality and practicality of this (who swore him in? did he overrule ministers behind their backs?). More generally though, given it was done in secrecy, Morrison knew that what he was doing was wrong and would be perceived worse than that.

Absolutely insane behaviour, what an idiot.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm quite curious about the legality and practicality of this (who swore him in? did he overrule ministers behind their backs?). More generally though, given it was done in secrecy, Morrison knew that what he was doing was wrong and would be perceived worse than that.

He apparently got advice from Christian Porter who was formerly the Attourney General (now out of politics after withdrawing a defamation action against the ABC relating to historic rape allegations) that it was legal for him to appoint himself without getting rid of the existing minister or, in at least one case, even telling the existing minister.

I'm not sure why he did it but in one case it looks like it was to reverse a decision without getting rid of the minister - to avoid bad optics I assume.

It seems that he is even more of a megalomania than we thought.

WPMUFC

Right, yes, I meant to check this thread for updates cause I read about that in the morning. What a situation!

The impression I took from our morning news show is that the governor general ask if it was Constitutional and then just went along with it after someone said yes. Literally had secret swearing in ceremony..... WHAT THE feck.

Very likely at least one actual minister was overruled so far. Absolutely frightening.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The impression I took from our morning news show is that the governor general ask if it was Constitutional and then just went along with it after someone said yes. Literally had secret swearing in ceremony..... WHAT THE feck.

Very likely at least one actual minister was overruled so far. Absolutely frightening.
And all in secret is the worst bit.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He apparently got advice from Christian Porter who was formerly the Attourney General (now out of politics after withdrawing a defamation action against the ABC relating to historic rape allegations) that it was legal for him to appoint himself without getting rid of the existing minister or, in at least one case, even telling the existing minister.

I'm not sure why he did it but in one case it looks like it was to reverse a decision without getting rid of the minister - to avoid bad optics I assume.

It seems that he is even more of a megalomania than we thought.

That's... pretty fecked up. So a PM if he/she wishes can appoint themselves to any minister position in secret - and thus basically do whatever they want. (As long as parliament doesn't need tog get involved.) That's rather shocking. I wonder if it's the same over here.

At least you can't go that far without needing to pass stuff through parliament (same in Australia I suppose), but still. And then you thought you had the correct negative impression of this dirtbag!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Shows that the Govenor General is as useless as a chocolate fire guard. Time for a Republic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Shows that the Govenor General is as useless as a chocolate fire guard. Time for a Republic.
What sort of republic? Cause here in Canada, I'd assume we'd replace the GG with a ceremonial presidency, like in Germany or Italy (although the Italian one seems to have some input actually). I don't think that would change anything.

Is there any talk in Australia about this actually?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
What sort of republic? Cause here in Canada, I'd assume we'd replace the GG with a ceremonial presidency, like in Germany or Italy (although the Italian one seems to have some input actually). I don't think that would change anything.

Its one of those topics that gets dragged up by the media every now and then, but I don't think there is any real driving force behind it with the public. They do a few polls that show in general people are supportive of the idea (could be wrong, but think 60% or something like that from memory), but no actual depth is discussed. Just don't think there is any real appetite from the politicians to actually drive the issues or put it to a proper vote.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Morrison really is a shady liar, that has no self awareness. Really glad we got rid of him. I did have to laugh when he "couldn't remember" if it was just the few portfolio's that the media knew about already.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Irish one seems to work well.

WPMUFC

That's... pretty fecked up. So a PM if he/she wishes can appoint themselves to any minister position in secret - and thus basically do whatever they want. (As long as parliament doesn't need tog get involved.) That's rather shocking. I wonder if it's the same over here.

At least you can't go that far without needing to pass stuff through parliament (same in Australia I suppose), but still. And then you thought you had the correct negative impression of this dirtbag!
i don't think anyone in a westminster-style system ever thought they'd live through the sheer optics of "he's trying to be a dictator". Wonder if Justin and Boris were dusting off the law books overnight? :lol: