g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Any ban should be tournament games only. Give him a 10 game ban and Uruguay simply organize loads of friendlies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read in my life.
It is, yet in a matter of seconds, I can better it:

Tweet 1 - Suarez's defence 1: "These situations happen on the pitch, we were both just inside the area, he struck me in the chest with his shoulder"

Tweet 2 - Suarez's def 2: "and he hit me in the eye as well.These are things that happen on the pitch & u shouldn't attach so much importance to them"

Oggmonster

What's wrong with that guy?!

To be fair to Rodgers, he speaks a lot of sense most of the time.
I don't think he does, he speaks bollocks 99% of the time. It's either 1 of 2 things, generic middle management speak that would be found in text books at high schools and colleges full of buzzwords and phrases to make h im look like a genius. If it's not that then he's going on about his "brand of football" and how his team has feck all money compared to City or Chelsea. HE was one of them managers who talked himself and his team up whilst slagging off the others and it backfired when he was on the way down, always a dangerous game to play as you tend to end up looking like a bit of a tit.

As for the Suarez stuff the guys clearly not all there. He is just very stupid. Clearly doesn't understand the consequences of what he does otherwise he won't keep doing it. In this instance the club can't support him again in my opinion, not to say sell him but if they keep wrapping him in cotton wool like they do after all these instances then he will keep doing it. I know it's not at Liverpool but it does affect them as he's their player. He should get a massive ban for it really, there's no other thing that the authorities can do.

That was in reply to the "he's let his country down".
Just because he shouldn't of been playing it's no excuse for doing what he did. HE was playing, he did it, he let his country down by doing so. I suppose they can let him off with the handball in the last World Cup as it benefited them in the game....what he did yesterday is just an embarrassment really.

Spielmacher

I was pretty much in rage mode when it happened, but now with the perspective of him actually getting punished for it it's enjoyable. And all the great jokes, the Snickers one for example.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Why? it's his third fecking biting offense. He should be taking a break from the game for a long while if you ask me.
I've seen more dangerous play over the last 5 seasons from several players and they've been less vilified than Suarez - just saying, should be some consistency to this

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Tweet 1 - Suarez's defence 1: "These situations happen on the pitch, we were both just inside the area, he struck me in the chest with his shoulder"

Tweet 2 - Suarez's def 2: "and he hit me in the eye as well.These are things that happen on the pitch & u shouldn't attach so much importance to them"
Ah, OK. Thanks. Ya read it on eurosport.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I've seen more dangerous play over the last 5 seasons from several players and they've been less vilified than Suarez - just saying, should be some consistency to this
This is basically assault on the football pitch. Something which should never have a place on a football field.

Cina

People need to comprehend the difference between kicking/headbutting and actually biting someone. Yes, the former are despicable acts but nothing close to actually biting someone.

if a toddler bit someone then their parents would probably be gravely concerned. We're talking about a 27 year old man who has just done it for the third time.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Have you seen any of them bite players on three different occasions?
He is still going to join Barca most probably. I don't see Barca fans blaming him much now and risk sounding hypocrites later when they will inevitably have to defend him.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yes there should be consistency - it should be bringing other players who act like twats to the same level as Suarez, not bringing Suarez down to their level.

However, not all acts of indecency are weighted the same. Furthermore, very few players if any have repeated their offence multiple times, while also being coupled with other offences of equally terrible nature.

Suarez has bitten 3 people and racially abused another professional. That is even before all the immoral character traits he shows which also paint a picture, such as the Ghana handball, constant cheating and aim of deceiving the referee whether it is through diving or other play acting.

If 99.9999999% of us did anything similar in our places of work, we'd be chucked out the door.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People need to comprehend the difference between kicking/headbutting and actually biting someone. Yes, the former are despicable acts but nothing close to actually biting someone.

if a toddler bit someone then their parents would probably be gravely concerned. We're talking about a 27 year old man who has just done it for the third time.
To use an analogy. If your kid was suspended from school what would make you more worried suspended because they kicked someone or suspended because they bit someone?

A1X

Any ban to be a proper punishment should include domestic football. Ban him from all football for a year. That'll teach him.

Rafateria

Clearly breaking a leg and the intentional damage some players inflict on others is far worse but gets far far less condemnation. It's just this is such a great story for the media (and opposition fans) because it's bizarre, entertaining for some and for others they can vent their moral outrage.

Far worse happens on a football pitch - how about a red card (and a simple 3 match ban) for breaking someone's leg and ending their careers, elbows breaking noses, head-butts, stamping that requires stitches and puts players out of the game for a while etc. etc.

Let me be clear, he definitely bit him, that's fecking nuts, he is a moron (well a little 'touched' at least) and his action is indefensible, he needs a ban and he certainly needs psychiatric help (which I would imagine will be part of the punishment, probably along the lines of a 6-12 month international ban & a fine - the commencement of which will depend on when FIFA convene a committee to investigate the incident, and it's possible be AFTER the World Cup) ! If we want to consider historical evidence then a couple of years ago Luisao punched a referee out cold - I think we can all agree that is a far greater 'crime' and he only got a 2 month ban from all competition - that however was when playing for Benfica in a domestic competition.

Note that for a worldwide ban (as far as I am aware), the FA / UEFA has to refer the case to FIFA for them to apply an international ban. If he did it whilst playing for Liverpool then he could get a worldwide ban, but not the other way around.

N.B. Reports in Brazil say he'll get banned for 16-24 international games.

Shark

@NotShark
Which brings us back to the argument that just because he's bitten somebody, which is absolutely insane, doesn't mean that it's any less of an offense than if he punched somebody, or anything else along those lines. I'm not sure how you measure how dangerous something is, but biting has to be up there, doesn't it?

Prophet_of_Doom

They may be dangerous play, but with few exceptions they are players actually attempting to play the sport. That Balotelli clip above, for instance. Yes it's dangerous. Yes it's reckless. But it's a player playing the game. He is - albeit wildly - doing everything he can to win a 50/50 ball. You can say the same of a two-footed challenge. Yes, you might break someone's leg, but it's still someone (recklessly) trying to play the game (tackle). What Suarez does has nothing to do with the game of football. It's an assault. The action bears no relation to the sport and therefore can't be compared to dangerous play.

Libano

Would you call someone with Tourette's syndrome "scum" for continuously swearing in public?
What good does a lengthy ban do to solve the problem when it's actually a condition that needs treatment?

Questions you guys might want to consider before screaming for more punishment. Two lengthy bans in the past did nothing to solve the issue.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Btw, Josep Simunic was banned by FIFA from entering football stadiums for 10 matches entirely. Though Suarez' issue isn't similar, surely FIFA have some standard to keep up to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They may be dangerous play, but with few exceptions they are players actually attempting to play the sport. That Balotelli clip above, for instance. Yes it's dangerous. Yes it's reckless. But it's a player playing the game. He is - albeit wildly - doing everything he can to win a 50/50 ball. You can say the same of a two-footed challenge. Yes, you might break someone's leg, but it's still someone (recklessly) trying to play the game (tackle). What Suarez does has nothing to do with the game of football. It's an assault. The action bears no relation to the sport and therefore can't be compared to dangerous play.
Exactly, at least you can argue the previous instances are during the course of the match, Suarez has literally sunk his teeth into another persons skin THREE TIMES for absolutely no reason!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What does he have to do on the pitch until Liverpool fans realise he's just a cnut.
Fair enough there are some Liverpool fans who think of the impact he's having on their club and their history and want him gone and not associated with LFC anymore.
But there's all these Liverpool fans who are willing to strike a deal with the devil by having a player like him wear their shirt just because he's their best hope of winning the league in about 30 years.

These things are bigger than football.

x42bn6

How does that matter? A case as serious as this would take all previous incidents into account. That's the least they would do.
I read the disciplinary code and I'm not sure. They can perform sanctions in FIFA-organised competitions, but they cannot perform them in competitions organised by associations unless they deemed the association did it wrong (i.e. refusing to sanction a player for racism - FIFA can intervene). A ban can only have worldwide effect if requested by associations (think along the lines of doping or corruption) and FIFA agrees.

If it is possible for the FA to sanction Bitey more ("bringing the game into disrepute"), then that sanction would still be followed if he leaves for, say, La Liga (the same reason why Barton was banned for a number of games after moving to France on loan).

I think he'll get something like 6 games suspended in FIFA competitions and a large fine. Liverpool will internally discipline him and make him go for some form of psychological evaluation. The FA will try to push for something but I don't think they will get to sanction him further, although if Suárez is stupid enough to bite someone again in an English competition, they will cite this World Cup incident in their ruling.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Would you call someone with Tourette's syndrome "scum" for continuously swearing in public?
What good does a lengthy ban do to solve the problem when it's actually a condition that needs treatment?

Questions you guys might want to consider before screaming for more punishment. Two lengthy bans in the past did nothing to solve the issue.
If some sort of mental illness is causing him to do this he should not be playing Football.