Suarez

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I don't know how you've reached that conclusion. If we spent £38m on Suarez, other players would sit up and think 'they mean business.'

It's Suarez though. It's just as likely to go out the window with a lengthy ban for sexually assaulting the tea lady or something.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Bale and Suarez scored around that amount last season. How did their title challenge go?
So you're saying they should have scored more?

Or maybe more realistically it's the rest of the team that needed to pull their weight. How many did RVP score last season? Or Rooney before that?

acnumber9

So you're saying they should have scored more?

Or maybe more realistically it's the rest of the team that needed to pull their weight. How many did RVP score last season? Or Rooney before that?
No I'm saying adding a striker scoring 20 plus goals isn't going to make a team not good enough into title winners.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
No I'm saying adding a striker scoring 20 plus goals isn't going to make a team not good enough into title winners.
So without Van Persie's goals last season, would United have won the league? Or is it the if he hadn't been playing somebody else would have been and they would have scored them scenario....

acnumber9

So without Van Persie's goals last season, would United have won the league? Or is it the if he hadn't been playing somebody else would have been and they would have scored them scenario....
The chances are if he hadn't signed that he would've signed for City and have given them the boost they needed rather than us so probably not. I'm not really seeing the link though. We were already good enough to challenge for the title given we finished on the same number of points as the champions the previous season. Arsenal aren't which is kind of the point being made.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Ivanovich has just said he'd have no problem playing with Suarez if he joined Chelsea. I'd love him just to wind up my Liverpool mates.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Ivanovich has just said he'd have no problem playing with Suarez if he joined Chelsea. I'd love him just to wind up my Liverpool mates.
Don't get that - surely that would make Chelsea stronger and more of a title threat?
Just for the sake of winding up your mates.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The chances are if he hadn't signed that he would've signed for City and have given them the boost they needed rather than us so probably not. I'm not really seeing the link though. We were already good enough to challenge for the title given we finished on the same number of points as the champions the previous season. Arsenal aren't which is kind of the point being made.
I think if they got Suarez it would make them stronger, as per Van Persie making United so.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea is destined to win the league for the next 3 years running. So if we were to sell Suarez I'd rather sell to them than any realistic CL contenders. Plus, Chelsea have some prospects we wouldn't mind part-exchanging with, and ones that seem will soon be falling out with Mourinho, i.e. Lukaku and/or Mata.

Obviously dependent on them wanting to come, but that's another story.

acnumber9

I think if they got Suarez it would make them stronger, as per Van Persie making United so.
Well we were initially talking about Higuain. Both players would make them better but not title winners as they aren't in the same starting position Utd were when they signed Van Persie.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Chelsea is destined to win the league for the next 3 years running.

I think you might be under-estimating Sheikh Mansour's money in that statement - I can see him and Roman starting to "one-up" each other with the cash they spunk over their respective teams as they start competing more obviously against each other for honours, and I can't see one team dominating enough to win three leagues in a row. But time will tell of course.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
But only one of Mansour/Roman has Mourinho. And whomever has Mourinho has the league titles sewn up.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Like the last time he was here?
Were Ferguson still around then Mourinho would have found it tough. But then I didn't want to upset anyone on here reminding them that Ferguson is no longer here. :angel:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Barcelona didn't have a manager for half of last season and they still finished 15 points ahead of Real.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I think you might be under-estimating Sheikh Mansour's money in that statement - I can see him and Roman starting to "one-up" each other with the cash they spunk over their respective teams as they start competing more obviously against each other for honours, and I can't see one team dominating enough to win three leagues in a row. But time will tell of course.

City still have the best squad in the league, imo. They already signed Navas and Fernandinho and are about to add Jovetic and Negredo. They've got great depth in quality.

acnumber9

Were Ferguson still around then Mourinho would have found it tough. But then I didn't want to upset anyone on here reminding them that Ferguson is no longer here. :angel:
You need to get off your knees before they're no use to you.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Not heard that anywhere else. They'll have to do a LOT better than that before we even entertain it. Regardless of whether Higuain wants to come or not.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Not heard that anywhere else. They'll have to do a LOT better than that before we even entertain it. Regardless of whether Higuain wants to come or not.
Still holding out for a Ronaldo type fee like at the start of the summer? :wenger:

He'll go for about £40m late in the window (maybe last day), because no one will want to pay his wages whilst he's banned, and there'll be no Higuain or Mata (:lol:) in any deal, despite the fact I'm sure both are salivating at the prospect of playing for a mid-table side who will have just sold their only world class player.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Secretly still hoping for a Ronaldo type fee. But the release/listening clause may be problematic. If teams are worried by his ban and/or salary then even better. They can politely all go f$ck themselves. Ending up with an 'unhappy' Suarez for one more season is fine by Fsg and Rodgers. And the fans.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
[quote="acnumber9, post: 13827520, member: ]You need to get off your knees before they're no use to you.[/quote]

First time I knelt down Fergie left. Stayed down and Moyes came , then Phil Neville. Now I know I'm being greedy but I swear I'll get up as soon as Rooney's gone. :D

The Neviller

The only stuff Suarez has really done in the league to warrant all the criticism is the bite on Ivanovic. The Evra incident I think was just blown out of proportion and his diving has been curbed for quite a while. Personally, I think he gets too much of a hard time in the league. If Arsenal really want him, then I think he's worth no less than 38 million.
Indeed, abusing someone because of the colour of their skin is next to nothing really. I hate it when people blow racism out of all proportion, instead of seeing it as the friendly banter it clearly is.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Indeed, abusing someone because of the colour of their skin is next to nothing really. I hate it when people blow racism out of all proportion, instead of seeing it as the friendly banter it clearly is.
What you said.

The racism event was not blown out of proportion, and neither was the handshake incident either. Suarez acted like an absolute knob and was treated as one. If anything they should have been harsher and sent a real message across the PL/footballing landscape that racism is intolerable - especially in such a public sphere.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Reports arsenal upping their bid to £40 million (which is apparently his release clause).
Reports from where?

I would rather Higuain simply because of the baggage factor, but Suarez would be better.

I recognise that we are keen because this is realistically the only world class player we can potentially sign.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Reports from where?

I would rather Higuain simply because of the baggage factor, but Suarez would be better.

I recognise that we are keen because this is realistically the only world class player we can potentially sign.
I like that word, and I agree, you have no problem financially, but IMO you're one step away from having the pull for world class player

But do you really imagine Suarez will keep his head checked this time, he's still on a 6 match ban if he stays btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.