Suarez

Status
Not open for further replies.

alastair

ignorant
Fair enough, I'm not much of a stato either, I was genuinely just curious as I've had this notion in my mind that he racked up his tally against lower level teams with goals that didn't secure many points.

I don't rate him as highly as many seem to, but he's obviously good.

It's difficult to tell when he's not playing in the CL. That will be the true test.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
All Rogers has shown is that he can get 'Liverpool Football Club' to finish mid-table, having spent a considerable amount of money and not beaten a single team above them in the table (except in one game?). Even if you'd played the entire season without Luis Suarez, it's not exactly a glowing record is it, especially for Liverpool Football Club.

Of course everyone wants to be Dortmund, virtually the perfect football model of not spending much but competing at the top level. But comparisons with Klopp, much as I'm sure you'd like to see them, are as ridiculous as the previous comparison with United.
He took over a side that had finished 7th, 6th, & 8th in the previous 3 seasons. He had a lot of ageing players who were on a good salary that he had to get rid of. People like Aurelio, Kuyt, Maxi Roderiguez, Bellamy, & Joe Cole. All players, that with the exception of Cole, had done some great things for the club. Then there were the, 'not good enough players', like Aquilani, Adam, & Carroll, who had to be moved on. Even the most optimistic Liverpool supporter could see he had to take a few steps backwards before he could move forward. Hardly surprising he didn't set the world alight initially. But he certainly showed in the 2nd part of last season that his side can compete with the best that the Premiership can offer - A narrow 2-1 defeat away to United. Followed by 2 draws at Arsenal & City. A home win against Spurs, followed by 2 further draws at home to Chelsea & Everton. So whilst our record against the sides that finished above us isn't great, it's by no means awful.

LFC isn't in the market to attract top players. It also isn't in the market to attract top managers. Just like a lot of the young, unproven players that we're bringing in. Our young, relatively unproven manager, is a risk. Nobody, but nobody, can say that after one season in charge of a club that needs fundamental changes, he's not going to be the answer.

Gazza

No problems with your post other than the "narrow" 2-1 victory we had over your lot at OT. We were in complete control and gifted you a goal near the end, as I remember. ;)

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
He took over a side that had finished 7th, 6th, & 8th in the previous 3 seasons. He had a lot of ageing players who were on a good salary that he had to get rid of. People like Aurelio, Kuyt, Maxi Roderiguez, Bellamy, & Joe Cole. All players, that with the exception of Cole, had done some great things for the club. Then there were the, 'not good enough players', like Aquilani, Adam, & Carroll, who had to be moved on. Even the most optimistic Liverpool supporter could see he had to take a few steps backwards before he could move forward. Hardly surprising he didn't set the world alight initially. But he certainly showed in the 2nd part of last season that his side can compete with the best that the Premiership can offer - A narrow 2-1 defeat away to United. Followed by 2 draws at Arsenal & City. A home win against Spurs, followed by 2 further draws at home to Chelsea & Everton. So whilst our record against the sides that finished above us isn't great, it's by no means awful.

LFC isn't in the market to attract top players. It also isn't in the market to attract top managers. Just like a lot of the young, unproven players that we're bringing in. Our young, relatively unproven manager, is a risk. Nobody, but nobody, can say that after one season in charge of a club that needs fundamental changes, he's not going to be the answer.

It's a little tragic seeing you bring up narrow defeats to United and multiple drawn games as proof of competing with the top sides. I reckon every club outside the relegation places could call on a similar record. Most of the division lost narrowly to us at some point, even Reading gave us a big scare.

You only patronise him by talking up non-achievements as if they portray a good record. Though as the master of cringeworthy spin himself, I'm sure he'd probably lap it up. Yes, he got fecked over by Dalglish and is still tidying up that mess, but I'm not sure how the last season could be seen as anything other than a disappointment.

redman5

No problems with your post other than the "narrow" 2-1 victory we had over your lot at OT. We were in complete control and gifted you a goal near the end, as I remember. ;)
Sturridge came on in the 46th minute, & scored 11 minutes later. Not quite near the end is it ?

The mighty Luis Suarez was pretty much non-existent in the first-half. It wasn't until Rodgers brought on Sturridge that we actually put your defence under some sort of pressure. I think our gaffer paid the price for being too cautious in that first half. Anyway, no disgrace losing to the eventual runaway champions on their own patch. I just hope we give it more of a go from the off next time.

Gazza

Sturridge came on in the 46th minute, & scored 11 minutes later. Not quite near the end is it ?

The mighty Luis Suarez was pretty much non-existent in the first-half. It wasn't until Rodgers brought on Sturridge that we actually put your defence under some sort of pressure. I think our gaffer paid the price for being too cautious in that first half. Anyway, no disgrace losing to the eventual runaway champions on their own patch. I just hope we give it more of a go from the off next time.

Yeah, definitely didn't feel like a "narrow" win at the time, I remember Sturridge made a difference though. No disgrace indeed.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Liverpool were firmly beaten in that game, despite the scoreline.

One of those ones where a cruising complacent United who should've been out of sight let a poor side back in the game.

We love doing that.

redman5

It's a little tragic seeing you bring up narrow defeats to United and multiple drawn games as proof of competing with the top sides. I reckon every club outside the relegation places could call on a similar record. Most of the division lost narrowly to us at some point, even Reading gave us a big scare.

You only patronise him by talking up non-achievements as if they portray a good record. Though as the master of cringeworthy spin himself, I'm sure he'd probably lap it up. Yes, he got fecked over by Dalglish and is still tidying up that mess, but I'm not sure how the last season could be seen as anything other than a disappointment.

The crux of my point was that Rodgers had a lot of work to do before he could start re-building a side/squad capable of competing with the best. At least you do acknowledge that. The examples I put forward were a little reminder that he's made good progress. We've been criticised in the past for struggling against the Premier League's cannon-fodder sides, & only raising our game for the likes of United etc. But more often than not last season, we saw a lot of the lesser teams off in style. Rodgers now has the task of upping it a level or two, & turning those hard fought draws against the PL's elite into victories.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
The crux of my point was that Rodgers had a lot of work to do before he could start re-building a side/squad capable of competing with the best. At least you do acknowledge that. The examples I put forward were a little reminder that he's made good progress. We've been criticised in the past for struggling against the Premier League's cannon-fodder sides, & only raising our game for the likes of United etc. But more often than not last season, we saw a lot of the lesser teams off in style. Rodgers now has the task of upping it a level or two, & turning those hard fought draws against the PL's elite into victories.

Although Rodgers had a lot to do, you must remember when he himself was talking about finishing second. It's easy with hindsight to say 'oh but it was so hard, he had too much to do, the team left to him was a joke' but the tune was very different from Rodgers and Liverpool fans at various points during the season. It's basically impossible for him to fail if you look at it through a certain narrative i.e. that narrow defeats and draws are 'positives', and that his task was so ridiculously horrendously impossible that failure was the only outcome. Take the kid gloves off.

And yes, obviously if he can turn bad results into good results, he will be doing better. This again is true of most teams and managers, and not a unique challenge faced by Rodgers - funnily enough it's the crux of football. Though Rodgers' challenge will be made somewhat more difficult if the player who prevented Liverpool from slipping anywhere lower than mid-table fecks off.

redman5

Although Rodgers had a lot to do, you must remember when he himself was talking about finishing second. It's easy with hindsight to say 'oh but it was so hard, he had too much to do, the team left to him was a joke' but the tune was very different from Rodgers and Liverpool fans at various points during the season. It's basically impossible for him to fail if you look at it through a certain narrative i.e. that narrow defeats and draws are 'positives', and that his task was so ridiculously horrendously impossible that failure was the only outcome. Take the kid gloves off.

And yes, obviously if he can turn bad results into good results, he will be doing better. This again is true of most teams and managers, and not a unique challenge faced by Rodgers - funnily enough it's the crux of football. Though Rodgers' challenge will be made somewhat more difficult if the player who prevented Liverpool from slipping anywhere lower than mid-table fecks off.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20735575

Seem to recall him stating we were 11 points off 2nd place, & using that in trying to motivate his players to achieving better consistency. Don't think he ever said anything about the possibility of us finishing 2nd.

Like I've said, & to which you've mostly agreed. Rodgers inherited a bunch of players that were not good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot. Not only that, he had an ageing squad to replace. All things considered, why, & how, should he have done better ? I mean, going back to Jurgen Klopp again. It took him 2 full seasons before he turned things around at Dortmund. They finished 5th & 6th in those first 2 years. I'm not making comparisons, because there are none to make. But given the enormity of the task facing our young manager, I think a couple of seasons, at least, are the absolute minimum he should be given by anyone when it comes to judging his credibility as a manager good enough to get Liverpool back into contention for Champions League football. & if you're right regarding the potential loss of Luis Suarez damaging our chances, then maybe he'll deserve more time. The one thing I do know watching Rodgers Liverpool side, is that they were generally very good to watch. Particularly in the 2nd half of the season. Even without Suarez, we created lots of chances. No reason why that can't, or won't, continue next season. The task facing our manager will be to find a player who can convert some of those chances.

Brophs

The One and Only
Have any of the Liverpool fans blamed Evra for all of this yet?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
All these stories in this transfer window regarding Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern, Chelsea, Madrid, Manchester City, PSG, a hint of Arsenal and even Spurs .... I forgot Liverpool even existed these past 2 weeks.

Liverpool really are in danger of dropping totally out of sight, especially if the sell Suarez. Why would any classy player want to join them?
I thought all their players are world class. RAWK says so.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In a summer where we seem to be making a lot of fuss to achieve nothing, it's good to remember there are clubs in a lot worse positions!

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The saddest aspect of that commercial is the dive. It's all well and good making fun of it but it actually happens just like that on football pitches every week.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That ad is fantastic actually. He's a pretty good actor to be fair.

As for the discussion with regards to the player, as much as I hate him, he's an excellent footballer. Right up there with the best in the league for me. I'd place him currently as the next best striker in the league after RVP. Some people have suggested that signing higuain would be a big step towards arsenal challenging. I disagree with that. However a player like Suarez will have a much bigger impact. The team still probably doesn't have the quality to get close to the teams that will challenge, but someone like him could still give them some chance if the others underperform.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Firstly, phew at least he flew to Australia and didn't pull a Tevez. Secondly, what did he do on the footage?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Gerard Middleton came up to him and started firing questions at him which he completely blanked. I'd find it hilarious but he asked "Should Liverpool fans be buying your shirt?" which is completely cnutish and Middleton is a fecking hack of a journo and a complete cnut.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...n-future-at-club/story-e6frf423-1226682680147
This is the article. Might need to aus proxy to see the content.

Varun

Staff
Good. The player and club are made for each other.

EDIT- wtf. 1yr old link..

Giggsforever

I honestly wasn't wumming. A mate sent me the link and I posted it without double checking. That prick.
Haha, he made you look like a fool. You will forever be remembered for that post at the Caf, you must get even with your mate! You could sleep with his boyfriend?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Suicidal for Liverpool to sell Arsenal Suarez if they have hopes of a top 4 challenge next season. The very, very worst we'll finish is fourth and City and Chelsea are also surely nailed on for top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.