g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Summer Clear Out 2016

montpelier

Good squad is about right, so many of them are 'yeah, not a bad replacement' type level but THEY'RE ALL PLAYING !!! :eek: :eek:

and they're all playing every week except when they're injured, (again)

Then we win a game and people are saying we'll finish 2nd or 3rd. ^th or 7th is definitely our level. Have you seen the number of goals we (don't) score compared to the rest of them

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Sir Alex won plenty with players such as Anderson, Cleverley, Park, O'Shea playing in midfield. Problems lie with management than the squad.
Not 100% true.

Anderson was barely ever a permanent fixture, Sir Alex didn't win 'plenty' with Cleverley as a starter - he won one title, Park was often used wide in a front three, and O'shea spent most of his time in defence. They were also surrounded by genuine world class teammates. The only world class player in this current squad is the 'keeper.

Aside from the fact that comparing this United to Sir Alex's United is pointless, let's not pretend Sir Alex didn't have extreme quality in those same sides. And this squad lacks quality.
The manager may not be getting enough out of them, but they still lack quality anyway.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not 100% true.

Anderson was barely ever a permanent fixture, Sir Alex didn't win 'plenty' with Cleverley as a starter - he won one title, Park was often used wide in a front three, and O'shea spent most of his time in defence. They were also surrounded by genuine world class teammates. The only world class player in this current squad is the 'keeper.

Let's not pretend Sir Alex didn't have extreme quality in those same sides. And this squad lacks quality.
The manager may not be getting enough out of them, but they still lack quality anyway.
We neglected in the summer to buy those game changing players. LvG seems to be obsessed with projects. We need ready or very nearly ready finished players. Not 18 year olds who may or may not be the next best thing. We needed a CB, yet spent the whole summer chasing players who were using us. I just worry if we kept LvG we will try to fill the gaps on the cheap.

Drifter

American
We don't need another major clear out. Just the right manager who will know how to get the best out of what he as. When Giggs takes over next season we should see that.

Acquire Me

I dont know who I want out except the manager and staff. Players become a different version under different managers. Tbf our manager has a strange philosophy and I think some of our players will show a better side when we get a new manager.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Dont really think we should do a wholesale clearout, the squad seems pretty bare bones as it is, just add 4-5 decent players onto what we have, push half this lot down the pecking order.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Not 100% true.

Aside from the fact that comparing this United to Sir Alex's United is pointless, let's not pretend Sir Alex didn't have extreme quality in those same sides. And this squad lacks quality.
LvG has spent enough money to have purchased a few world class players. He's made what he has, worse.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
De Gea
Romero

A NEW RIGHT BACK
Darmian
Varela
Smalling
A NEW CENTRE BACK
Blind
Rojo
Shaw
Borthwick-Jackson

Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Herrera
A NEW CENTRE MIDFIELDER
Fosu-Mensah
Lingard
Young
Memphis
A NEW RIGHT WINGER
Januzaj
Pereira

Rooney
Martial
A NEW CENTRE FORWARD
Wilson
Rashford

I reckon that's the core of the squad we should go forward with, so I'd get rid of:

Carrick
Jones
McNair
Fellaini
Valencia
Mata
Van Gaal/Giggs

Couple other guys I've kept on because of experience (i.e. Young and Rooney) and Darmian probably deserves another chance. I think if this season has shown us anything it's that we have quite a few good young players and we need to buy in quality experience in the right areas. Scary thing is we seem to be 4/5 players off every bloody year and that has to stop.

red_devil83

Get rid of Fellaini, Valencia, Mata and Rooney.

Blackett not up to much either.

montpelier

Jones is unlikely to be going anywhere either.

Or Rooney & Fellaini because of the wages.

LVG has already cleared out almost all the deadwood. That's one thing noone can slate him for.

I could see going this summer:
Valencia
Fellaini
Jones
Carrick
Blackett
Valdes

I hope Rooney but i doubt it.

GledTheRed

Why does Lingered get so much shit, he's a good little player and a quality squad option.

I would bin Fellaini, Carrick, Jones, maybe Rojo (i think he's a CB and would like to see him more there), Darmian too as he's not up to it, his distribution is poor.

We could do worse than nabbing Mahrez & Kante.

wiz4231

GK: De Gea, Valdes/New GK, JP/DH

CB: Smalling, *Rojo/New CB, Williams, CBJ, Tuanzebe
FB: Darmian, *Rojo/New LB, Shaw, Mensah

CM: Morgan/New CM, Herrera, Bastian, Goss, Pereira
CAM: Mata, Januzaj

RW: New RW, Wilson
LW: New LW, Martial
ST: Rooney, Depay, Rashford

Romero, Johnstone, Jones, McNair, Blackett, Riley, Love, Varela, Carrick, Fellaini, Blind, Rothwell, Weir, Valencia, Young, Lingard, Powell, Keane, Fletcher can retire, be sold or drop back to the U21s.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I feel like there's some notable deadwood that's been kicking around the club for a while that we could really be getting rid of. I'm fine with having some average squad players to fill the numbers, but Valencia and Young have done little of note since about 2012, while Fellaini just isn't good enough to be a Manchester United player. Valencia could maybe be kept for extra cover in a full-back position, but should realistically be heading with the others.

Carrick's day has probably come and gone. Great servant for the club, but I don't think he can offer us too much more. I'd also consider getting rid of Rooney too if we add up front. Again, I think he's had his prime and he looks like a very limited player, even when he hit his little run of improved form. Schweinsteiger could arguably apply to this, but I'd give him another season.

Players like Depay and Schneiderlin should be kept because they surely have a lot more to offer. Herrera too, maybe, even if it's as a squad player who gets some occasional time. Darmian could go into this category, although I'm kind of struggling to justify it and I'm not sure I'd lose too much sleep if he left.

Jones could potentially go into the deadwood category. Still got some mild hope that he'll do well for us, but his injury problems hold him back so much and he hasn't really come on since his arrival. Rojo could apply to this too, but has had a couple of good games this season and might still offer something.

So, basically.

Go

Fellaini
Valencia
Young
Carrick

Maybe Go

Jones
Rojo
Darmian
Rooney

Keep

Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Depay
Herrera

And most others players I've not mentioned, unless I've forgotten some.

davidmichael

Valdes, Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini and Young are all players I'd let leave and I think you've got to let either Rooney OR Mata go too as neither can thrive in their best position with the other around.

Following that we'd need a centre back, a midfield dynamo, a pacey goal scoring winger and striker so maybe John Stones, Dele Alli, Gareth Bale and Harry Kane would be the best solutions even though it'll be pricey.

GloryHunter07

Not sure there are that many "outs" - the problem is we dont have enough top quality stars. Bring in Hummels and Griezman for example and all of a sudden we look the business.

Wouldn't mind getting rid of our perma-crocks though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Wouldn't miss Mata, Darmian and Mcnair at all. Along with the permanent injury crocks Jones, Rojo and Schweinsteiger.

goin4glory

All depends who the manager is and who we can realistically sign which may depend on CL qualification.

That said Mata/Fellaini/Carrick/Valencia/Adnan should all be moved on. A few weeks ago I'd have kept Rooney as a backup striker but now i'd much rather see Rashford get the game time.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
My list of those to sell/release/retire is:

Jones - he's had enough chances and I'm fed up with him now, he's never fit and isn't even completely proven anyway. We need a top class partner for Smalling and then keep Rojo and Blind as backup with some youth players getting a chance every now and then.

Rooney - thanks for the memories, but it's time to ship him to the US or China for a holiday. We need to replace him with a 30 goal as season striker to take the pressure off Martial as he develops. Wayne isn't that man anymore.

Carrick - like Rooney, thanks for everything but I think his time is coming to a close. We need to buy another DM/CM and I also want to see Periera given a shot at making it here.

Powell- overstayed his welcome now. What was Van Gaal doing throwing him in against Wolfsburg as a sub?

Valencia - slightly harsh on Tony to be fair, he's not a bad option at right back by any means. Varela has come in and done well so deserves to be part of the senior squad. Darmian has been disappointing but I've not given up hope and he can play across the back four supposedly. If we can't find another experienced full back he can stay because I like him and he gives everything for the shirt. Five fullbacks may sound like overkill but the last two seasons show we need depth.

Fellaini - no longer has a place in our squad either as midfielder or as a striker. It's also far too easy for whoever's managing us to sub him on and start lumping it in to him as a 'Plan B', I don't want that option there anymore.

Lingard - again, this is quite harsh. I think we need a top quality winger and I also want to see Januzaj have a full season with us since he's younger and has more potential. Like Valencia, if we can't get anyone then he'll do but I'm not sure how much better he's really going to get.

Blackett- Borthwick-Jackson has come in and looked better than him and we've enough people that can play left back once Shaw gets back. Don't really rate him anyway.

Valdes- Romero will do, he's come in and done OK recently after a mixed start.

There's some others I'd loan but that's pretty much where I'm at currently.

Silverman

GK: De Gea, Romero, J. Pereira
RB: Darmian, Varela
LB: Shaw, Borthwick-Jackson
CB: Smalling, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Laporte
CDM:
Schneiderlin, Blind
CM: Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Gundogan
CAM:
Mata, Januzaj, Pereira
RW: Lingard, Mahrez
LW:
Memphis, Young,
ST: Martial, Rashford, Aumbameyang, Ibrahimovic

Out:
Jones, McNair, Blackett, Fellaini, Carrick, Powell, Rooney
Unsure: Valdes (Either him or Romero), Jones (If he stays fit), Valencia (His versatility would be useful), Rojo (If a suitable replacement was found), W. Keane (Looks decent but is already 23)

Last edited:

Orange

Sir Alex won plenty with players such as Anderson, Cleverley, Park, O'Shea playing in midfield. Problems lie with management than the squad.
Sir Alex had a team with maybe 3-4 average players and the rest would be world class (top 5 of the world in their position). At this point, we have just one world class player: DDG.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm fine with the squad in general. Think it's actually pretty good. We need four players, a world class no.10, a top quality no.6, a world class centre back, and a right winger for which I'd be happy to go for someone potentially world class.

That spine though, needs reinforcement. In the no.10 role, none of Rooney, Mata, or Herrera are good enough. If either James or Isco becomes available, we have to get one.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
@Amethyst Your post just reminded me of the existence of Powell and Valdes.:lol:

Aye, they can both go too.

Mr Smith

The idea that we need a clearout is a complete myth. For one thing, we just had one 2 years ago (the removal of Anderson, Cleverly, Nani, Rafael, etc), and that didn't do us much good. The fact is most of our players are at a very high standard, and what they currently lack is motivation and drive. And that's the managers job.

I would get rid of Fellani though, absolutely sick of the sight of him. Those who think Carrick needs to be moved on though are being stupid. Of course he can no longer be relied on as a first team player, but he can do a job for us if we're hit with injuries. He's still one of the top central midfielders in the league, just can't do it week in, week out.

Alias
The idea that we need a clearout is a complete myth. For one thing, we just had one 2 years ago (the removal of Anderson, Cleverly, Nani, Rafael, etc), and that didn't do us much good. The fact is most of our players are at a very high standard, and what they currently lack is motivation and drive. And that's the managers job.

I would get rid of Fellani though, absolutely sick of the sight of him. Those who think Carrick needs to be moved on though are being stupid. Of course he can no longer be relied on as a first team player, but he can do a job for us if we're hit with injuries. He's still one of the top central midfielders in the league, just can't do it week in, week out.
Agree about Carrick but it all depends on what we aspire to be. Do we want to compete with the Barcelonas and Bayerns and Real Madrids or do we want to compete for the EPL? If we want the latter then Carrick can do a job. If its the former... we will need better midfielders than even the ones that we currently have as first choice. That doesnt leave much room for Carrick.

WyoManU

I am a bit more on the ruthless side. I think there are quite a lot of our players who simply are not good enough. We require a whole new round of massive clear out and starting over at square one thanks to LVG.

Mr Smith

Agree about Carrick but it all depends on what we aspire to be. Do we want to compete with the Barcelonas and Bayerns and Real Madrids or do we want to compete for the EPL? If we want the latter then Carrick can do a job. If its the former... we will need better midfielders than even the ones that we currently have as first choice. That doesnt leave much room for Carrick.
I get where you're coming from, but I think there's a fallacy in comparing ourselves to the likes of Barca and Bayern when it comes to what players we keep and what players we sell. We should concentrate instead on the value we feel we can get out of a player, and how he fits into our squad as a whole. And quite frankly, Barca have a very thin squad currently and could use a player like Carrick to fill in when their first choice players are injured. Squads require depth, and Carrick is an excellent servant and professional, the kind most teams would love to have.

Jonno

A lot of people suggesting Carrick should leave but for me he's one of the few players to speed up our play.

He gets the ball and has his head up for a quick direct ball. He's like gold dust for us! I'd have him for another season at least, even if he only plays 20-25 games a season.

It's simple. Fellaini, Valencia, Schwinny, Jones, Valdes and Rooney have to go.

They're all injury prone as well as being miles away from their peaks.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Carrick, rooney.

Some of the rest (mata, fellaini, darmian, jones, valencia, young) should have gone as well but we're thin as a wafer. Let them be backup or squad player till the next cull next year

Green_Red

@Mister_Stubbs you're probably half right about some players, but I can't imagine that the Glazers will give the green light to another major clear out this year. And I don't think they would be willing to give LvG the money needed to bring in replacements again. We can't go and add another 6 new players again this year. We'll probably see much the same squad next year as we are seeing now, maybe 1 or 2 moved on, but I don't think they will be the players people will be expecting...

Rooney and Carrick could be used in much the same way as Giggs and Scholes were used towards the end of their career. They don't have it in the tank to play every week and would benefit from that I think.

Fellaini needs to be shipped, not good enough. Jones needs to be moved on because we need a defender we can rely on. The rest will probably get a free ticket to next season based on injuries this year unfortunately.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Rooney, Fellaini, Young and Valencia should all be sold and Carrick needs to retire, enough with this shit of keeping old players with no legs to play 30 minutes here and there. Personally I'd broom Jones as well but Rojo is the more likely to be shown the door because he's not English.

It's not even a case of needing to replace them all either, for instance Varela and CBJ are here and ready to replace Young and Valencia,while Fosu-Mensah can replace Fellaini as a midfield option.