Summer Transfer Tweets 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Strange we would go after him if Zlatan was in the bag...

Summit

You can't have too much talent. Why would you only want 2 top strikers instead of 3 or even 4?
I believe if you are playing 442, then 4 is a must. We have Martial, granted he plays on the left for now, but can do a job up front too if needed. In fact we bought to play up front tbh.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can't have too much talent. Why would you only want 2 top strikers instead of 3 or even 4?
How can you play two first team strikers in a system with only one no.9? Not to mention how that would stifle Rashford's development also.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
On top of what we have already?
Rashford is the only forward we have. Martial has been brilliant from the left and Rooney isn't good enough for a team with aspirations of winning the League.

Summit

Rashford is the only forward we have. Martial has been brilliant from the left and Rooney isn't good enough for a team with aspirations of winning the League.
He isn't the only forward we have though really. Martial was bought as a CF and people moaned when he was shunted out wide. He has done well out wide for sure, but he was only shunted out wide because of the dogshit Depay was serving up.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I believe if you are playing 442, then 4 is a must. We have Martial, granted he plays on the left for now, but can do a job up front too if needed. In fact we bought to play up front tbh.
But then we'd need to buy a left winger, too. Strength in depth is key to success, having players like Rashford or Icardi on the bench would be amazing.

@DWelbz19 he's only 18. If he had a season or two with Ibra playing ahead of him it wouldn't stifle his development at all. He'd only be 20 still by the time Ibra probably leaves.

Summit

But then we'd need to buy a left winger, too. Strength in depth is key to success, having players like Rashford or Icardi on the bench would be amazing.

@DWelbz19 he's only 18. If he had a season or two with Ibra playing ahead of him it wouldn't stifle his development at all. He'd only be 20 still by the time Ibra probably leaves.
I just think signing Zlatan, as well as Icardi, is a clear indication that Rashord won't see much game time.

DWelbz19

That's not my point. I want Ibra, but signing a second striker makes no sense to me - Rashford should be that second choice. No other big side in the league who adopts the same system has more: Arsenal have Giroud and Welbeck, Spurs have Kane and... nobody(?) Njie, maybe? City have Aguero and Bony - the latter is rendered superfluous now too with the emergence of Iheanacho. Leicester and Liverpool get away with it due to either playing a two man strike force (and even then they only had Vardy, Ulloa and Okazaki this season) and Liverpool play a bit more of a fluid front 3 most times, with Ings, Origi and Firmino being more general attackers than actual no.9's.
I just think signing Zlatan, as well as Icardi, is a clear indication that Rashord won't see much game time.
Yeah, this. I'm a big fan of Icardi and he'd top my list if we weren't signing Zlatan, but if we are... I don't see the need.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Yes we only have Rashford. Rooney is now a midfielder and Martial a LW
Everyone their own opinion but for me I think if we add zlatan we have plenty of forwards:

Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney and Martial

Martial will be playing as LW, Rooney more from the midfield but if you play with in a 1 striker formation you have enough with 2 strikers imo being Zlatan as nr1 and Rashford as nr2. Those 2 can be rotated for example Rashford can play in EL and cup games whilst Zlatan plays the PL games etc. If 1 of the two gets injurred for a long time you can use Rooney or Martial as a striker and replace their respective positions with another winger or another midfielder. For me that is more than sufficient. Especially because I think Rashford needs playing time which he won't get if there are 2 other top strikers he needs to compete with.

This changes ofcourse if you would play in a different formation with 2 strikers upfront or if you would use Rashford as a RW, in that case another striker is needed on top of Ibra. But in the current setup I think we have enough with Ibra and Rashford as strikers and Rooney and Martial as possible reserves for the position.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Everyone their own opinion but for me I think if we add zlatan we have plenty of forwards:

Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney and Martial

Martial will be playing as LW, Rooney more from the midfield but if you play with in a 1 striker formation you have enough with 2 strikers imo being Zlatan as nr1 and Rashford as nr2. Those 2 can be rotated for example Rashford can play in EL and cup games whilst Zlatan plays the PL games etc. If 1 of the two gets injurred for a long time you can use Rooney or Martial as a striker and replace their respective positions with another winger or another midfielder. For me that is more than sufficient. Especially because I think Rashford needs playing time which he won't get if there are 2 other top strikers he needs to compete with.

This changes ofcourse if you would play in a different formation with 2 strikers upfront or if you would use Rashford as a RW
1. Rooney not good enough to play for a side trying to win the league.
2. Martial can go up top, but if he does, then we may have to bring in a LW, depending on what happens with Memphis (even if Martial is only a backup ST)
3. Its not a guarantee we will always play with 1 striker, most of the time Zlatan usually plays with another forward.

Bojan11

Not really bothered if we sign Icardi and Zlatan. If they both end up scoring shit loads which we didn't do this season because the attack was inexperienced and we didn't have enough attackers.

Don't forget we'd have the Europa league too. So Rashford will get games. Jose takes the Carling cup seriously also.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He isn't the only forward we have though really. Martial was bought as a CF and people moaned when he was shunted out wide. He has done well out wide for sure, but he was only shunted out wide because of the dogshit Depay was serving up.
Martial had his best performances for Monaco from a wide position. He may turn into a fantastic forward in the future but I think we need him coming in from the left.

Zlatan will need to be rested from time to time considering he's nearly 50 years old. :D Having quality options upfront will enable us to compete domestically and in Europe.

worldinmotion66

1. Rooney not good enough to play for a side trying to win the league.
2. Martial can go up top, but if he does, then we may have to bring in a LW, depending on what happens with Memphis (even if Martial is only a backup ST)
3. Its not a guarantee we will always play with 1 striker, most of the time Zlatan usually plays with another forward.
Haven't PSG always played 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1?

DWelbz19

Not really bothered if we sign Icardi and Zlatan. If they both end up scoring shit loads which we didn't do this season because the attack was inexperienced and we didn't have enough attackers.
Yeah, but how? Zlatan has played 50 matches this season. Where do you spare the games to a second striker who needs to play consistent football too? Cup games and minutes from the bench won't cut it for a (what I'd imagine) would be a £20-30m striker. And then there's also Rashford's development to think about.

worldinmotion66

Yes with Cavani operating as a wide forward
Which is essentially the same as Martial, no?

I'm just a bit concerned, as some on here are, that signing two pure forwards would result in Rashford taking a step back in his development. If we were looking at Ibrahimovic and chasing another forward that can play wide also, such as a Cavani or Lavezzi type, then it's not as much of an issue. I'm not sure Icardi and Ibrahimovic can play together unless it's a 4-4-2, or Zlatan drops deeper and plays with little defensive responsibility.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If we're getting Zlatan, I think spunking on another striker would be a dumb move. Rather we just got extra depth on the wings and spent the bulk of our kitty on defence and midfield.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which is essentially the same as Martial, no?

I'm just a bit concerned, as some on here are, that signing two pure forwards would result in Rashford taking a step back in his development. If we were looking at Ibrahimovic and chasing another forward that can play wide also, such as a Cavani or Lavezzi type, then it's not as much of an issue. I'm not sure Icardi and Ibrahimovic can play together unless it's a 4-4-2, or Zlatan drops deeper and plays with little defensive responsibility.
Its what Martial can do yes, but Martial plays more like a winger for us this season.
Cavani actually ends up central quite a lot when Zlatan drops deeper.

DWelbz19

what kind of season did Icardi have?
A 1:2 ratio, something like 16 goals in 32 matches. As I've mentioned before though, Mancini's Inter system, statistically speaking, looks near identical to what van Gaal's Manchester United was this season: a resolute side which really seems to lack any sort of creativity. We scored 49 and conceded 35 ending 5th, they scored 50 and conceded 38, ending 4th.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mourinho's priority will be to get us challenging for the league pronto. I very much doubt he will care too much about player development in the immediate future, and i'm sure he'll have the backing of Woodward and the Glazers.

Bojan11

Yeah, but how? Zlatan has played 50 matches this season. Where do you spare the games to a second striker who needs to play consistent football too? Cup games and minutes from the bench won't cut it for a (what I'd imagine) would be a £20-30m striker. And then there's also Rashford's development to think about.
Maybe Mourinho has seen the success Leicester and Atletico have had with two strikers. We don't know.

All I'm saying is not going to argue if the club signs two world class players.

Mourinho also tends to have three strikers in his team anyway. Rooney isn't one and Martial most likely will stay on the wing.

We need more goals in the team. Signing Ibra and just a right winger won't change that.

Riz

Maybe Mourinho has seen the success Leicester and Atletico have had with two strikers. We don't know.

All I'm saying is not going to argue if the club signs two world class players.

Mourinho also tends to have three strikers in his team anyway. Rooney isn't one and Martial most likely will stay on the wing.

We need more goals in the team. Signing Ibra and just a right winger won't change that.
Strongly disagree.

worldinmotion66

Its what Martial can do yes, but Martial plays more like a winger for us this season.
Cavani actually ends up central quite a lot when Zlatan drops deeper.
I think with Shaw returning and Ibrahimovic naturally dropping deeper, Martial will play more inside forward than winger. Should suit Memphis too, if he's still in Mourinho's plans.

ChaddyP

A 1:2 ratio, something like 16 goals in 32 matches. As I've mentioned before though, Mancini's Inter system, statistically speaking, looks near identical to what van Gaal's Manchester United was this season: a resolute side which really seems to lack any sort of creativity. We scored 49 and conceded 35 ending 5th, they scored 50 and conceded 38, ending 4th.
very interesting statistics. Wonder If they played the shite kind of footy we did aswel

Status
Not open for further replies.