Summer transfer window

Canuckred64

I don't believe we will spend 150M either, just feel that type of shopping list will cost more than 100M. The thing is that that type of shopping list is what we need if we are going to compete at the highest level, in fact I would add another winger to it.

The money from sales and the removal of wages is something that seems to be over looked when people talk about how much we will spend in the summer transfer window. With it looking like Evra, Rio and maybe Giggs joining Vidic in leaving, there should be a whole whack of money coming off the wage bill. Hopefully they will use it to entice top notch players in the summer.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't believe we will spend 150M either, just feel that type of shopping list will cost more than 100M. The thing is that that type of shopping list is what we need if we are going to compete at the highest level, in fact I would add another winger to it.

The money from sales and the removal of wages is something that seems to be over looked when people talk about how much we will spend in the summer transfer window. With it looking like Evra, Rio and maybe Giggs joining Vidic in leaving, there should be a whole whack of money coming off the wage bill. Hopefully they will use it to entice top notch players in the summer.
Moyes mismanaged the squad IMO

While Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Vidic, Evra, Carrick aren't world beater anymore, they'd be more than an able squad player. My Idea is that you buy a new player and keep the old guard for rotation / back up. To clear them all in one go is massive gamble which needs hundreds of million of investment, and furthermore there is a risk that we're buying the wrong player.

I'd rather we didn't sell anyone and buy 1-2 world class addition and gradually ship them out "ONE BY ONE" when we're well covered in the position, and not before we find an able replacement.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I don't see Reus leaving before 2015 because that's when his release clause activates. Dortmund won't sell him before unless he pushes for a move (which I don't think he will). I think they turned down a 50m Euros offer from Madrid.

Bojan11

While Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Vidic, Evra, Carrick aren't world beater anymore, they'd be more than an able squad player. My Idea is that you buy a new player and keep the old guard for rotation / back up. To clear them all in one go is massive gamble which needs hundreds of million of investment, and furthermore there is a risk that we're buying the wrong player.

I'd rather we didn't sell anyone and buy 1-2 world class addition and gradually ship them out "ONE BY ONE" when we're well covered in the position, and not before we find an able replacement.
You mean Fergie mismanaged the squad.

I'm not Moyes biggest defenders. But it's Fergie who allowed a lot of 30 plus players in the squad and not replace them. He should have replaced Ferdinand and Evra a few seasons back. Same for Giggs.

Moyes is in a difficult situation. Ferdinand is past it and needs to go. Vidic is leaving and Evra most likely following suit.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If we keep both kagawa and nani, then we don't really need reus in the coming window anyway. Januzaj, kagawa, mata, nani would be a fantastic set of wide playmakers if we change our system. Im assuming we will stop playing valencia and young ( we will right? Please moyes?)

kps88

I'm not Moyes biggest defenders. But it's Fergie who allowed a lot of 30 plus players in the squad and not replace them. He should have replaced Ferdinand and Evra a few seasons back. Same for Giggs.

Moyes is in a difficult situation. Ferdinand is past it and needs to go. Vidic is leaving and Evra most likely following suit.
We did get in Smalling and Young, you could view them as potential replacements for Rio and Giggs. Problem is neither have really stepped up.

The difficult decision now would be do we sign another CB and further stall Smalling/Jones' development. I feel like we have to really as none of what we've got is good enough to win a title.

soapythecat

With the Vidic now confirmed gone and Rio almost a certainly to leave, I think the club has go no option other than to spend big this summer window.
A minimum would be:
1 CB of the highest quality
2 CM which need to be much better than the current crop (that's not a typo!)
1 LB which could be a younger version of Evra as I think the club will have to retain him for another season now
1 winger, again of the highest quality
That's a pretty impressive shopping list and totally unrealistic. I bet we get 2 decent players in.
Moyes is really going to have to earn his wages next season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Kroos/Koke : 30m
Vidal : 40m
Shaw/Coentrao: 20m
Garay: 15m
Reus: 30m

Good luck to the Glazers, but that's the type of fees we are looking at if we want to bring in quality.
That'd be another £135m on top of the £82m net spend already made on additions to the squad that won the title around 9 months ago .... making a grand total of £217 million.

SiRed

i wouldnt be surprised if we already have 2 or 3 deals pretty much agreed. i also like Lovren at Southampton as a Vidic replacement. He wouldnt cost the earth like some (Hummels, Mangala)

Rednotdead

What I've been saying for a while. Fergie should have started gradual overhaul of the squad a couple of seasons ago. People keep banging on that the squad was good enough to win the league last season so it must be Moyes' fault they're not doing so well this year. The only problem with that is that time marches on and players don't keep playing at the same level for ever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Even with Vidic and Rio gone, I don't think we need a new centre half. A new top CB will result in a continuing of the trend of a new pairing every week, as Smalling, Jones, Evans and a new £30m centre half will have to play. I'd rather we decide on a pairing out of our current 3, keep the other as cover, and then have Michael Keane as 4th.

If we bringnin Carvalho in midfield, my understanding is that he can play centre half too. If we are screwed then we can get another in January. We need a settled team next season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see Reus leaving before 2015 because that's when his release clause activates. Dortmund won't sell him before unless he pushes for a move (which I don't think he will). I think they turned down a 50m Euros offer from Madrid.
Reus has a release clause of £40M Euros starting this summer. Unless he renegotiates that will come into effect.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

SAF attempted to follow the club tradition of buy them young and let them develop. Fabio, Buttner, Powell, Zaha were supposed to be phased in as replacements this season. Players who are already established but not yet playing as well as he might have hoped - like Smalling, Jones and even Evans were supposed to become key players. Unfortunately buy them young/grow your own and let them develop is easier said than done these days, even with good prospects - as Pogba demonstrated.

I'm also convinced that we were supposed to buy Thiago (the ultimate value for money signing in my opinion) this summer, and that Moyes chose not to prioritise him. Some of the other target rumours were probably accurate as well, but again were not prioritised, probably because in some cases Moyes didn't rate them or didn't rate our scouting reports.

You can't just stop making replacements for a year - which to all practical purposes is what has happened - and not expect players to get older.

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Even with Vidic and Rio gone, I don't think we need a new centre half. A new top CB will result in a continuing of the trend of a new pairing every week, as Smalling, Jones, Evans and a new £30m centre half will have to play. I'd rather we decide on a pairing out of our current 3, keep the other as cover, and then have Michael Keane as 4th.

If we bringnin Carvalho in midfield, my understanding is that he can play centre half too. If we are screwed then we can get another in January. We need a settled team next season.
I agree with that.

Siorac

A backup CB might still be a good idea, considering our luck with injuries. I agree though, we shouldn't sign a top class CB, spend the big money on midfield and on two left-backs instead. Even a wide player is more important than a top class CB.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Priority - if Evra leaves - 2 left backs. 1 starting left back, 1 back up (I've heard Fabio at Cardiff is supposed to be a decent player), 2 CMs, 1 CB, Striker could also be a priority if Rooney or RvP or both leave.

Secondary - Winger

We probably need around 5-7 players and also ship out the usual suspects Valencia, Young etc.

TheGame

How has he mismanaged the squad? I mean I don't agree with team selections but he has only sold Anderson who has hardly been making an impact anyway. I didn't agree with his approach with Fabio. Its not his fault players are approaching their later years or the end of their contracts. Admittingly he perhaps should have done better in the transfer market but I cannot see how he has mismanaged the squad.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How has he mismanaged the squad? I mean I don't agree with team selections but he has only sold Anderson who has hardly been making an impact anyway. I didn't agree with his approach with Fabio. Its not his fault players are approaching their later years or the end of their contracts. Admittingly he perhaps should have done better in the transfer market but I cannot see how he has mismanaged the squad.
Letting vidic goes, loaning zaha, sold fabio, not utilising kagawa, persisting with 2 man midfield to name a few.

This is not fm, shoulda try to keep vidic and evra, they made a goor cover and experiences.

Besides, we can't simply bought 10 players in a windo

Infra-red

I really hope we don't waste the whole summer chasing Vidal, Gundogan, Kroos and Reus; there would be a very long list of clubs interested in acquiring those players' services if they were ever to leave, and it's not a list we are likely to be particularly near the top of. Gonalons, Herrera, Rakitic is the kind of area we should be shopping in; good players at lower reputation clubs rather than the star players at European giants competing in the Champions League. Hopefully we can get some business done early, since there is so much of it to do.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Kroos/Koke : 30m
Vidal : 40m
Shaw/Coentrao: 20m
Garay: 15m
Reus: 30m

Those estimates are undervalued by about 20-25% if you elite e the media or compare them to other transfer fees.

Vidal for £40m? Hmm that would be very generous.

KingMinger22

We desperately need several top quality players. That is going to cost closer to £200m. I can see us having a net spend of £100m sanctioned but to raise a further £100m is going to be a push. Hernandez, Kagawa might raise a third of it but past that most of the players leaving aren't worth a penny.

Top talents are going to average around the Mata price and probably many will be north of that.

PatrickP

I don't think Champions League football is that important next year as it isn't a year that culminates in a World Cup or Euros.

We will attract good players on the premise of CL football going in to Euro 2016 whilst playing for club with the stature of Man Utd

KingMinger22

Nani isn't going to raise much at all. No one wanted him last summer when he had one year on his contract.

Outside of redcafe he is generally seen as an injury prone, diving, waste of space.

Siorac

I don't think Champions League football is that important next year as it isn't a year that culminates in a World Cup or Euros.

We will attract good players on the premise of CL football going in to Euro 2016 whilst playing for club with the stature of Man Utd
What do the Euros or World Cups have to do with the Champions League?

dev1l

I really hope we don't waste the whole summer chasing Vidal, Gundogan, Kroos and Reus; there would be a very long list of clubs interested in acquiring those players' services if they were ever to leave, and it's not a list we are likely to be particularly near the top of. Gonalons, Herrera, Rakitic is the kind of area we should be shopping in; good players at lower reputation clubs rather than the star players at European giants competing in the Champions League. Hopefully we can get some business done early, since there is so much of it to do.
by the start of the world cup,we ll have most of the summer business wrapped up. And i m not convinced we ll buy 4 or 5 superstars but rather 2 or 3.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Evra,Vidic,Rio,Buttner,Valencia,Young and giggs will all be gone IMO. The big call will be who to cut from CM to fit in the two new CMs. One Cm will leave along with Giggs.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
That'd be another £135m on top of the £82m net spend already made on additions to the squad that won the title around 9 months ago .... making a grand total of £217 million.
Well within our budget if the rummors of us bidding 100mil for Bale are true.

You seem bitter that we will probably spend big.

If we wernt I am sure you would be one of the many opposition fans going on about how the Glazers wont let us spend.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Moyes, Wooden Ed and Glazers have absolutely no choice but to start taking pressure of huge summer spending. The current situation is clearly not a joke. We'll be missing our club legends and the task of bringing equal full time replacements will be something new to handle.

I remember there were rumors/news that we offered Tottenham about 100 millions for Bale last summer. If that's true then we're probably ready to take a solid step in this new market direction.

Last edited:

finneh

As I've said before we now make enough money to spend like Madrid or Chelsea. Spending £200m net in 2 seasons isn't as ludicrous as it would be for Spurs (in fact it would be akin to Spurs spending around £50m net over the same period).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We're really going to have to dos some amazing business in the summer. Two additions to our back four, complete overhaul of cm and no guarantees on the future of some of our strikers.

In a way CB is the biggest worry for me. There are plenty of potential candidates for LB and CM, plus we've already been scouring the globe for players in those positions. I don't see so many outstanding candidates for CB though. Mangala seems to be the big name at the moment but looks to be going to city. Garay was already passed on by Moyes and, from what I've heard, isn't particularly outstanding. I wonder who the real options are....

TheGame

Letting vidic goes, loaning zaha, sold fabio, not utilising kagawa, persisting with 2 man midfield to name a few.

This is not fm, shoulda try to keep vidic and evra, they made a goor cover and experiences.

Besides, we can't simply bought 10 players in a windo
Vidic and the club seem to have made a mutual decision, maybe Zaha should have been used more but nothing wrong with him getting first team experience at a PL club. Fabio I've already mentioned and who would you drop for Kagawa? Do we have more than 2 quality midfielders to play in a 3 man midfield? We haven't bought 10 players. Your previous post is about Moyes 'messing the squad around' and now your talking about selection. I can't understand your point. And please use a spellchecker.

dev1l

Schar would probably be my pick from the younger defenders, and Benatia from the established ones. A bit of muppetry never hurt anyone!
i read somewhere that moyes said that vidic successor is already at OT and expects jones,smalling and Evans to step up. It seems that we wont spend big on a central defender.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
As I've said before we now make enough money to spend like Madrid or Chelsea. Spending £200m net in 2 seasons isn't as ludicrous as it would be for Spurs (in fact it would be akin to Spurs spending around £50m net over the same period).
Well, it'd be £217m net spend over 18 months (3 transfer windows) rather than 2 seasons (and I'm not sure that Spurs, as you suggest, have ever spent £50m net over 2 seasons, far less 18 months).

But if you can afford it then, then fine .... assuming you trust Moyes with such extravagance.